Yoda

Massage 101

I just got back from a get together of a bunch of my college pals. They aren't cultivators, but my massage abilities did stir up some interest so I thought it would be fun to write up a 101 article for them. Mostly for two person massage, but wanted to include solo stuff too. Will use Trunk's: http://www.precisiondocs.com/~altaoism/MsgIntro.htm#Hitting

Let me know if anyone has any easy techniques whether subtle energy work or standard massage moves that might be fun to include.

Synchronous, I've been experimenting much more with massage again lately.

What did you wow your friends with?

Of the stuff on my hitting page, the bongers are most widely usable. I had one sitting in my room for years and never did anything with it. JoeBlast mentioned it in a thread, and now I've been exploring with it and am so impressed - use it often.

Standard massage plus a bit of self-taught Reiki thrown in and the 'beating the heavenly drum' tapping on the head to wrap it up is my usual modus operandi. JoeBlast will bring his bongers to NJ so we can check them out. I'm thinking that might be a good tip for them.

Here's a few tips:

1. Partner massage sacrum -> kidneys.

With a flat open palm, moderate to slow pace circular steady pressure. Stay in each general area at least until warm: lower back, sacrum, up the spine to kidneys. (A little lotion/oil helps.) This is easy to do while seated lounging next to each other, and can either be soothing, harmonizing (for times in-between sex) or a warm-up.

2. Bladder-40

Massage with gentle pressure. This acupoint is very pleasurably soothing. Can be a partner massage, especially 'just after'. Also can be used in-between times, to pleasurably cool your jets.

MsgAcuPt_BL40.jpg

Amazing things happen when the sacrum is freed up. It's like uncoiling the monkeys tail. All kindsa things happen with/in the pelvis. Bands wrap from back to front. Correcting small tilts in any direction brings about changes to the whole body.

Edited by Spectrum

Healthy females find massaging kidney 2 most enjoyable :)

from acuxo.com, a handy online acupoint reference.

Location of Kidney-2:

ki2.jpg

Feet Hands Head Neck and Ears. Fastest way to turn concrete to goo. Nice map links.

Here's some interesting massage things to try...

(1) Lightly touch the bony protuberance at the end of the sacrum with one hand while massaging other back/neck acupressure points with the other hand. Feel the energy between the two hands connect.

(2) One hand lightly resting on the forehead. Other hand rocking the dan tien area just under the navel. Then both hands still feeling for an energetic connection. Repeat.

(3) One hand on the shoulder. Other hand rocking the opposite hip. Then both hands still feeling for an energetic connection. Repeat.

(4) Simultaneous circular massage of complementary joints. Working the shoulder and hips at the same time, elbows and knees, wrists and ankles. Play around with working with the joints on the same side of the body, as well as joints on the opposite side of the body.

(5) Massage that makes contact with both the back and front of the body simultaneously. Massage the chest with one hand while the other hand is making contact with the back. Feel the energetic connection going all the way through. Massage both front and back of knee joint at the sametime. Sacrum/lower abdomen.

(6) Lightly massaging along lines of meridians feeling for where the energy flows, where things get stuck.

(7) Experimenting with holding acupressure points while keeping an internal focus on an internal practice. For instance acupressure while running microcosmic orbit.

(8) Experiment with doing massage in a neutral way, unattached to the outcome for the other person. How does the massage change when you WANT the other person to relax for instance?

Hope these ideas provide some food for thought....

astonished the first time my sacrum cracked!

!!! wtf?!?

Never heard of that happening. What were you doing that resulted in that? What did it feel like during, after?

.. I've been gently tapping my sacrum with a bonger; it vibrates and feels good. :)

(score another one for bongers)

MsgBongers.jpg

btw, this is a good thread, topic in general. I think that massage is a whole huge (important) topic that we've barely explored.

Trunk- Lay back in butterfly while sitting on two rollers (in a sock/etc) placed at the top of the sacrum. Gradually roll down to the base working each point out. Eventually move up to wood balls, or golf balls work ok. Various sizes work for feeling it out. The goal is not to pop anything, that just happens sometimes when working into a new area or something was tight/kinked, but the sacrum as a series of internally strung bands that hinge into and through the pelvis that will effect the lower carriage when relaxed. Work small circles on each acupoint you feel. Internal figure 8s with the pelvis.

Follow up with simple forward stretch for legs and lower back (back of knees to floor & flatten lower back reaching w/ chin to toes. Cobra style ab stretches, then v stretches for legs, forward butterfly, hurdlers stretch (abductors), and a downward dog or two. Always a recipe somewhere in there. A knows all the Sanskrit names for these, all i know is what feels good and has worked so far. Always seem to learn a little more everytime I practice with her. It's opened up some internal hinges that I was previously unaware of but feel the difference in movement during taiji practice etc.

Edited by Spectrum

!!! wtf?!?

Never heard of that happening. What were you doing that resulted in that? What did it feel like during, after?

.. I've been gently tapping my sacrum with a bonger; it vibrates and feels good. :)

MsgBongers.jpg

btw, this is a good thread, topic in general. I think that massage is a whole huge (important) topic that we've barely explored.

Trunk, thanks for that link. Here's another good one for acupoint reference:

http://www.yinyanghouse.com/acupuncturepoi...eridian_graphic

hmmm...I know one of the time I did it was at foundation training. We'd just done a whole bunch of stretch work where a couple of students set up around another and forcibly turned the thigh open for doing a maneuver that opened up the hips (different sets, we hit both directions. hope that's not giving up too much info B) ) Sitting cross and stretching afterwards, turning like 45 at roughly t12 and rotating anteriorly and down with a focus on the hips did it. Strange feeling, but good. I certainly wasnt looking for it!

I used to do (and was certified in) Zen Triggerpoint ®. Find a tight spot or band and press along the entire length of any painful area for about 7 seconds. This will often release pain elsewhere as pain is often refered from one place to a distal area. I have a natural ability to "feel" where the pain is in a person. How this is I don't know. I can only chalk it up to my neigong training, as a similar thing happens when teaching.

!!! wtf?!?

MsgBongers.jpg

yes. maybe these sites can be of interest?

http://www.acupuncture-acupressure-points.com/index.html

http://www.acupuncture-acupressure-points....-point-TE5.html

Edited by rain
  • Like 1

JoeBlast did let me try his bongers in NJ. (He has two.) They are pretty cool. He said you can find them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Some fun beach combing finds have included half spherical rocks that are perfect for foot massage. By stepping on them from multiple angles, you can work out anything w/ simply the application of body weight.

Stepping Stones

I'm just discovering electric massage gizmos.

415WYMMBERL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

* martian patrol-bot *

makes a kickin' ab-massage tool

- Position: on my back such that my stomach is relaxed. A pillow under my upper back & head. Knees bent, feet flat on bed.

- Turn the thing on (vibrates).

- Press deeply into my abdomen, short of injurious pain, anywhere between ribs and pubic bone. Hold with both hands over it so as to keep pressure with as little tension/effort as possible. Sustain depth while it vibrates. Either keep it still or slowly rock it around in circles.

Not bad for $10. :)