Yotam

Qi cultivation and before that

Hello everyone. After my introduction topic I started reading a little about Taoist in the forum and other related subjects. I didn't understand most of it (sadly because some topics were removed ).

Less about Taoist, more about what it teaches about one self is what I want to know. By the topic's name you can already guess with what I'm interested to start.

Qi cultivation.

What is it? More impotently, what is Qi and how cultivating it is done and effect us?

Maybe more important, what I need to know before dealing with Qi?

Since it's a part of me I want to know it and control it, but as I am now, I am no better than a baby who still can't walk yet seek to run.

Therefore, please guide me.

Read the Tao Te Ching.

Feel the chapters.

Be introspective.

Re-Read it.

Move your body slowly. Listen to what your body tells you. Explore different speeds. How does moving fast compare with moving slow? How fast? How slow? How long do you explore before reaching a conclusion? What happens when you do it longer? What happens when you stand still for 10 minutes? What happens when you stand still after exercising? Start to interact with yourself on a deeper level. Try changing little things about your life and listen to hear how those tiny ripples grow over time.

Qi is what changes and transforms when Yin and Yang interact. Yin and Yang are simply polarity. As a human we have many polarities. One perspective is of Spirit and Body united as one. As we are formed, these two rub against each other and manifest as vapors and fluids which circulate through the body. The same can be seen in the wind an the rain, the oceans, aquifers, thunder and lightning, the way they all embrace the land as it changes in different ways.

Qi flows in cycles, and spirals. The Winter is cold, water is frozen; Summer is hot, water melts, evaporates, dissipates to all corners. These changes are gradual, cyclical. The moon's light and tidal pulls. Follow these cycles, observe to see how you act differently at different times. Simplify your life to enable feeling these things more powerfully. Complicated living deafens our awareness of powerful forces.

Rest hands over bellybutton - perhaps just under. Breathe and feel your hands rise and fall. Do this every day to increase your awareness of Qi, to deepen your breath, to increase balance.

Examine your life. Do you force things to happen when obstacles arise? Do you give in under pressures? How can you hold your ground without sacrificing harmony? Learn to be firm inside and supple outside. When attacked, learn to yield, letting the attack slip past, remaining whole. When opposing something, we become that which maintains it. Power struggles are often struggles because neither side wants to lose. It is easy to forget that no one needs to lose. It is easy to attach to extremes. The center is subtle and elusive.

Spend time in nature. Be natural, naturally. Come to know yourself fully before thinking you are able to know others. What is simple is powerful. Learn to let go. Return to yourself.

• Like 1

Ok, from the discussion I got a small understanding on what is Qi, the fact that since it's a natural thing there is no need to do something special before dealing with it, and a few ways to cultivate during daily living activities. But I am still eager to feel it as I feel my arm, but in its own way, feel its effect in my body and empower it just like when I empower my body through physical training. Is all of that possible? If so, how shall I get into it?

半影

Rest hands over bellybutton - perhaps just under. Breathe and feel your hands rise and fall. Do this every day to increase your awareness of Qi, to deepen your breath, to increase balance.

Do I need to position the rest of my body as well?

Should I breathe naturally?

How long everyday?

Should I search for the Qi or let the awareness come on its own?

Is this exercise sole purpose is to raise the awareness of Qi in my body?

Edited by Yotam

Do I need to position the rest of my body as well?

Should I breathe naturally?

How long everyday?

Should I search for the Qi or let the awareness come on its own?

Is this exercise sole purpose is to raise the awareness of Qi in my body?

Trust yourself. The answers are within.

• Like 1

What is Qi. Jing, Vijnya, Mana or whatever name everyone calls it? Could it be something more down-to-earth than some secret substance which no one knows except by speculation?

Maybe it is testosterone. Let's look at this clearly...are there any reference to women cultivating chi (or vital energy whatever anyone calls it) in any *ancient (pre 1000 ad) texts anywhere in the world? If not then we can argue that it is the cultivation of something specific to men. It also involves semen retention (or are there references, in ancient texts <1000 AD, that deny it?).

Semen retention is clearly linked to the raising testosterone levels.

And why would men cultivate such a thing? What practical* (or 'not related to fashion') use could it have?

Cultivating testosterone would be something extremely practical for many reasons.

And testosterone is also linked to the effects that are said to result from the cultivation of "vital energy", namely bliss, sharpness of mind, awareness, strength, presence, dominance...etc etc

And then the sexual ankhing would also make sense, since the system drastically increases the flow of testosterone when you are strongly sexually arroused and such.

Edited by IntuitiveWanderer

Maybe it is testosterone. Let's look at this clearly...are there any reference to women cultivating chi (or vital energy whatever anyone calls it) in any *ancient (pre 1000 ad) texts anywhere in the world?

There are cultural reasons for this and please do not pretend or argue otherwise.

There are cultural reasons for this and please do not pretend or argue otherwise.

I am not saying that women are inferior. Women are wonderful! It would be ridiculous to denigrate women..it would be like denigrating the flesh and upholding the bones.

Edit:

About the vital substance, maybe it is more than one substance, maybe it is a chain reaction. Maybe it is a complex bio-chemical and implicitly bio-energetic chain reaction and not simply one substance.

But it still seems to me that testosterone probably plays a primary part in this.

Edited by IntuitiveWanderer
  • Like 1

Qi is everywhere around you and stored in material, and in the universe. It is that which empowers all things. As such, we can feel it internally and externally, and in other things.

IMO, the best way for someone new to feel Qi is in an energy exchange environment. With another person or something which holds Qi. In the latter case, a bit oak tree should do :)

Before dealing with Qi ? Be expansive like the sky; radiant like the sun; vast like the ocean. And then let them merge and forget any distinction of everything. (even if you just think it, that is enough).

Now... go hug a tree (but no touching is needed) ;)

• Like 2

What is Qi. Jing, Vijnya, Mana or whatever name everyone calls it? Could it be something more down-to-earth than some secret substance which no one knows except by speculation?

Maybe it is testosterone. Let's look at this clearly...are there any reference to women cultivating chi (or vital energy whatever anyone calls it) in any *ancient (pre 1000 ad) texts anywhere in the world? If not then we can argue that it is the cultivation of something specific to men. It also involves semen retention (or are there references, in ancient texts <1000 AD, that deny it?).

Semen retention is clearly linked to the raising testosterone levels.

And why would men cultivate such a thing? What practical* (or 'not related to fashion') use could it have?

Cultivating testosterone would be something extremely practical for many reasons.

And testosterone is also linked to the effects that are said to result from the cultivation of "vital energy", namely bliss, sharpness of mind, awareness, strength, presence, dominance...etc etc

And then the sexual ankhing would also make sense, since the system drastically increases the flow of testosterone when you are strongly sexually arroused and such.

Look at the stories of the ancient men who 'attained dao'... they had female masters in many cases. And females are said to have 'attained dao' in the same ancient texts listing men.

I think, like some others, your too caught up in the idea of 'cultivation' which is mostly internal... one can also cultivate at a gym like planet fitness... and get better results.

The main issue is one's connection beyond life itself. Gender is moot.

Qi is everywhere around you and stored in material, and in the universe. It is that which empowers all things. As such, we can feel it internally and externally, and in other things.

IMO, the best way for someone new to feel Qi is in an energy exchange environment. With another person or something which holds Qi. In the latter case, a bit oak tree should do :)

Before dealing with Qi ? Be expansive like the sky; radiant like the sun; vast like the ocean. And then let them merge and forget any distinction of everything. (even if you just think it, that is enough).

Now... go hug a tree (but no touching is needed) ;)

By a "bit oak tree" you mean a small branch will suffice? Does it matter how long it has been since it is was cut?

After feeling the Qi what will be the next step? Meditation? If so, why and how that should be preform?

Edited by Yotam

Sorry... typo. BIG oak tree.. the bigger the more Qi.

Compare trees... Try a Palm tree... so little energy... :)

Relative comparison is also eye opening.

BTW: You may see pictures of folks actually hugging (ie: touching) the tree... better to let the distance do the work... JMO.

After feeling the Qi what will be the next step? Meditation? If so, why and how that should be preform?

IMO, meditation is over-rated in regards to some Qi work... I only use it in very selective situations. Like after an intense 2 hour energy exchange, you can lay down and meditate and the energy will feel like it is lifting you off the ground as it runs head to toe.

if you do tree hugging, then just take a walk and exchange with the world around you.

I am thinking beginner... get the feeling of energy exchange with life around you. Feel it between you and your partner or friend... or create a "Qi Ball" with your hands.

If you can find a Qigong class, then check it out.

Ok, from the discussion I got a small understanding on what is Qi, the fact that since it's a natural thing there is no need to do something special before dealing with it, and a few ways to cultivate during daily living activities. But I am still eager to feel it as I feel my arm, but in its own way, feel its effect in my body and empower it just like when I empower my body through physical training. Is all of that possible? If so, how shall I get into it?

Yes, it is possible to empower your body because people had done it in the past two thousand years. So am I. If you really want to get into it, you may practice Tai Ji or Chi Kung. You should stick to it and practice diligently. Just remember, whatever people is telling you, you must learn to do the abdominal breathing technique. Otherwise, nothing else works.

At the beginning, you will not feel anything. You will only feel the empowerment after a long period of diligent practice. What you need now is patience and determination. I like your line of questioning, I am looking forward to hear from you for more inquiries.

• Like 1

I am thinking beginner... get the feeling of energy exchange with life around you. Feel it between you and your partner or friend... or create a "Qi Ball" with your hands.

You are giving answers that I can make something off of them. Finding an Oak tree in modern environment is worst than needle in a haystack, and so I was thinking, since Qi can be found anywhere, I try feeling it through my surroundings. But can you also elaborate in detail about "energy exchange" and "Qi Ball"? In regards to the latter, I had the opportunity to watch YouTube videos that reveal the exercise but not sure about their credibility.

無為道人 , Tao Bum!

Unfortunately, and as much as I wish for it, whether for Tai Ji, Chi Kung or Qi Gong (are the last two the same?), there is no place around where I live that I can learn this practices from, not to mention someone to practice with at all. My aim is to gather as much beginner understanding as I can from the answers that I receive, model it to a sheet of exercises and continue discussing my results and difficulties.

無為道人 , Tao Bum!

Unfortunately, and as much as I wish for it, whether for Tai Ji, Chi Kung or Qi Gong (are the last two the same?), there is no place around where I live that I can learn this practices from, not to mention someone to practice with at all. My aim is to gather as much beginner understanding as I can from the answers that I receive, model it to a sheet of exercises and continue discussing my results and difficulties.

Yes, Chi Kung and Qi Gong are the same. The latter is a very wise. :)

Oak Tree just means a 'hard wood' tree... there are soft wood trees and then softer... and bushes... etc. Each level has its own Qi feeling. The harder wood, the bigger, the better... You can still experiment the feeling with any tree and size.

Energy exchange: Hard to explain in posts. With a partner, let palms face each other and focus on each other's heart. Hands slightly outward in inhale (both partners) and slightly inward on exhale (never touching).

This is the same with the Qi ball: Stand with legs shoulder width; empty downward several times... like rain drops falling over your body or oil dripping.. let it take 2-4 minutes to sink you into the ground. Hands in front about 6 inches apart... on inhale spread hands on exhale bring them closer... focus on the area in-between... create an energy field between your hands.

For the record... at least 5,000 years of human existence has documented proof of this... you can get what you need to understand from the environment; you will feel it quickly, even as a beginner. You don't need determination as much as an open awareness of the universe. If you enjoy it, then you will naturally return to it; not from duty of practice but from a 'call from the distant past'. This is what will separate you from some advice here: Duty or Destiny... You should follow the latter.

The above is beginner advice from me... You and the universe. If you get too caught up in 'nothing else works', then your closed minded approach will shut down on you... We're talking the universe here, not the trappings of the local mind/body.

• Like 3

Re:

-----

"For the record... at least 5,000 years of human existence has documented proof of this... you can get what you need to understand from the environment; you will feel it quickly, even as a beginner. You don't need determination as much as an open awareness of the universe. If you enjoy it, then you will naturally return to it; not from duty of practice but from a 'call from the distant past'. This is what will separate you from some advice here: Duty or Destiny... You should follow the latter."

-----

I just want to say, that's a very good bit of writing. Could be about anything at all and still applicable.

Very good.

-VonKrankenhaus

You will be confused trying to know yourself in the beginning, we all are, but that is cultivation. Qi is only part of the cultivation. The goal is dealing with what IS, and qi is only a slice.

• Like 1

Finding an Oak tree in modern environment is worst than needle in a haystack, and so I was thinking, since Qi can be found anywhere, I try feeling it through my surroundings. But can you also elaborate in detail about "energy exchange" and "Qi Ball"? In regards to the latter, I had the opportunity to watch YouTube videos that reveal the exercise but not sure about their credibility.

there is no place around where I live that I can learn this practices from, not to mention someone to practice with at all. My aim is to gather as much beginner understanding as I can from the answers that I receive, model it to a sheet of exercises and continue discussing my results and difficulties.

From what I understand about Chi/Qi is that the tree doesnt need to be of a specific genus, but big and old one it will hold alot of Chi, also if you want to cultivate Chi you should try to meditate under a big tree, but first you need to get permission to do it from the tree in a sense, just to make sure your intentions are pure and the tree will comply, otherwise it would be "stealing". Feeling the Chi is also a good way to search possible locations to meditate on. Chi flows in different places on the surface so, feeling is the only way to detect the richest spots.

I dont have places either, but thats why internet is for :D

I have been getting nice info on QiGong from Ken Cohen videos, either download em(piracy Yarrr) or try youtube. In Ken Cohen videos it is shown how to make "Qi Ball", it is very simple exercise, certain movements and breathing thats it, and (no) thinking.

• Like 2

but first you need to get permission to do it from the tree in a sense, just to make sure your intentions are pure and the tree will comply, otherwise it would be "stealing".

Excellent point... whether I am working on another person or doing energy exchange with something, permission is important. The way I do is to 'smile as one with the other'... your energy will let you know if there is some objection or reason to stop.

Feeling the Chi is also a good way to search possible locations to meditate on. Chi flows in different places on the surface so, feeling is the only way to detect the richest spots.

Right... one way is to use your hand to 'scan' around the tree; sideways, high/low, etc. With a person, this is also very informative towards reading a person and exchanging... just scan a person slowly (after permissions!) :)

<snip>

Finding an Oak tree in modern environment is worst than needle in a haystack...

<snip>

This depends on the individual's own "modern environment." I am surrounded by them (including a very lively one just outside my back door).

Isn't it funny, hugging a tree is thought to be very grounding, but to all those around, the person hugging the tree appears most definitely in need of grounding....

• Like 1

IME, the best way to learn about Qi is to experience Qi firsthand. You can experience chi first hand by practicing QiGong on a daily basis. Overtime, as you practice, your body will develop more and more sensitivity to the Qi within you and without your body. Working with trees is a really cool practice, I highly RECCOMEND. :)

Also here is a basic Qigong exercises for you which you can practice anywhere. There are many systems, I simply give this video because it is easily accessible and also a powerful exercise. Practice daily and have fun!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gr5MkMLyoeI

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1