Sign in to follow this  
Yasjua

What are some beliefs you hold that hold you back?

Well, it is indeed easy to make fashion statements in such a case. But if you realize the Tao (the true one) then you know that there is no one to be ill or upset.

Of course, in our western fat fashion culture, such selflesness in accordance with the truth is seen as extreme.

I don't know anyone who has "realized the Tao" with anything like that effectiveness , so even if it was possible its certainly not what happens for 99.9999% of folks.

and Im always tempted to ask of someone who claimed such elevation, if it then would be OK to 'bang your wife and take your stuff',, since after all, there's no one to bang and nothing to take ,

Whether they were of eastern or western culture, I think selflessness would end up taking a backseat to dignity and respect and property rights - illusions though they are.

• Like 1

In life, sometimes we get two flat tyres at once.

That appears possible , but what light is it that I am not aware of, regarding it. IYO

I don't know anyone who has "realized the Tao" with anything like that effectiveness , so even if it was possible its certainly not what happens for 99.9999% of folks.

and Im always tempted to ask of someone who claimed such elevation, if it then would be OK to 'bang your wife and take your stuff',, since after all, there's no one to bang and nothing to take ,

Whether they were of eastern or western culture, I think selflessness would end up taking a backseat to dignity and respect and property rights - illusions though they are.

Do you believe believe in quantum physics?

Eastern metaphysics isn't simply "You don't exist, get over it", it is much more complex than that. And there is also a theistic aspect, for the simple minded who might go on a rampage of madness if liberated from the fear, see Chinese folk religion for example, or Shinto in Japan, or Hinduism.

Eastern metaphysics do NOT state "you don't exist", that's the materialistic position.

It is false to atribute such a phrase to eastern philosophy. Such a phrase is, in fact, nowhere to be found in eastern philosophy and if anyone interprets it that way then they're dead wrong (pun intended).

Edited by IntuitiveWanderer

Do you believe believe in quantum physics?

Eastern metaphysics isn't simply "You don't exist, get over it", it is much more complex than that. And there is also a theistic aspect, for the simple minded who might go on a rampage of madness if liberated from the fear, see Chinese folk religion for example, or Shinto in Japan, or Hinduism.

I don't know enough about quantum physics to have much of a belief in it or not , but a portion of what I've read on the subject sounds like misled speculation, and some of it may be on solid foundation.

Saying, the phrase exists nowhere in eastern philosophy , is a fairly broad claim, wouldn't you say? But even if that does happen to be true, other phrases could indeed be logically construed to mean exactly that.

Who is it that should stand for all eastern philosophy , and declare they possess the one correct view ?

Oh, I'm sure there are many who would just dismiss everyone who didn't agree with one point or another as not being 'authentic' in their philosophy ,, and so this just pushes the issue back a layer as to whom they were validated by.

But that's all beside the point, getting back to point ...

you said-implied

1 there is no one to be ill or upset.

2 Eastern metaphysics do NOT state "you don't exist", that's the materialistic position.

3 if anyone interprets it that way then they're dead wrong

So basically you have declared yourself to be incorrect speaking in line one

by the opinion expressed in lines 2 and 3

Not only once , but again you imply it..

Eastern metaphysics isn't simply "You don't exist, get over it", it is much more complex than that.

This sentence implies agreement with the broad point of a 'not existing' , it just adds that there is complexity.

That it is not SIMPLY so , says it is IS so , just complex-ly so.

Things like flat tyres or floods , illness or upset can soon shake our spiritual foundations even if only during the time when things aren't going too well.

Those are the times that it is most important and most beneficial to do our spiritual practices.

If the don't help you through the tough times, what good are they?

• Like 2

To clarify, thoughts and beliefs are different. Spiritual theories are always thoughts. You can say "I believe such and such about the Tao," and you're just saying "I believe in my thoughts." Beliefs are of a different order. I suppose belief could be divided into two types: belief, and Belief. The latter is a deep faith in a particular kind of thought, probably something magnetic, religious, spiritual, cosmic, existential. A lower-case belief is of a totally different order. You almost never notice your lower-case beliefs, and if you've waded into the deep end of your spirituality and gotten stuck there due to egotism, you might think you don't even have any. Lower-case beliefs like "I need money to survive," "If I get enlightened I will be happy," "My mind is more intelligent than other minds," and "I'm scared of being wrong," are background influences, and it takes a lot of vulnerability to access, analyze, and communicate about these. Vulnerability is something a lot of intelligent people find very scary, because it's the ultimate ego-deflator, and sometimes we're just not in a place to accept that our egos, particularly our conceptions of ourselves as wise and spiritual, are in the way of genuine, moment-to-moment, non-rigid, theory-free, fluid, loving, contact with creation... which I would define as wisdom.

• Like 3

I don't know enough about quantum physics to have much of a belief in it or not , but a portion of what I've read on the subject sounds like misled speculation, and some of it may be on solid foundation.

Saying, the phrase exists nowhere in eastern philosophy , is a fairly broad claim, wouldn't you say? But even if that does happen to be true, other phrases could indeed be logically construed to mean exactly that.

Who is it that should stand for all eastern philosophy , and declare they possess the one correct view ?

Oh, I'm sure there are many who would just dismiss everyone who didn't agree with one point or another as not being 'authentic' in their philosophy ,, and so this just pushes the issue back a layer as to whom they were validated by.

But that's all beside the point, getting back to point ...

you said-implied

1 there is no one to be ill or upset.

2 Eastern metaphysics do NOT state "you don't exist", that's the materialistic position.

3 if anyone interprets it that way then they're dead wrong

So basically you have declared yourself to be incorrect speaking in line one

by the opinion expressed in lines 2 and 3

Not only once , but again you imply it..

Eastern metaphysics isn't simply "You don't exist, get over it", it is much more complex than that.

This sentence implies agreement with the broad point of a 'not existing' , it just adds that there is complexity.

That it is not SIMPLY so , says it is IS so , just complex-ly so.

Yeah I wrote that second post to clarify the mistake I made in the first response...I am actually refering to a more profound view. Saying that someone does not exist is the oposite of saying that (only) the Absolute(the real one) exists.

When I said that there is no one to be ill or upset I was refering to the fact that there are no separate entities and that matter is an illusion. Although I may be wrong.

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve, I should have been a little more considerate in my comment. I did in fact express myself relatively vaguely on purpose, to elicit thought.

Edited by IntuitiveWanderer

I don't have an effective map that places what I believe to be the case alongside what might be possible or not.

What holds me back are all the things holding me back. They exist in real time. They have parties and invite many friends. I don't have to understand everything to leave the party. I don't need to believe something to know I have left. It is what it is.

When you get down to the level of response, there are a lot recurring elements. How does one find the thread that changes those things? The question is not asking for an explanation but a plan of action. If the plan is not given as a menu or a love letter, a building plan or a list of virtues, how will it be heard? If one is waiting for the answer, you are waiting for the answer.

There is no explanation.

It is easy for me to separate these things in words. Making it happen is another matter. The mind is all about finding short cuts. There is something that could care less about that sort of thing.

Yes, I am repeating myself.

• Like 1

Hello Yasjua,

It's like a love relationship. Your beliefs like to be on top. You play submissive while they ride you. They fuck you over but you blind yourself because they promise you security. What are some beliefs you hold that hold you back? What makes it difficult to let go?

It is the "belief" that love equates to sex that creates the biggest illusions.

I hold back regularly, because I see that the person before me needs me to do so; that I need to do so; that we might communicate. This is not easy when one is enamoured with the universe.
Beliefs are purely conjecture, it is better that we see the heavens; and not the finger.

Edited by iain
  • Like 1

Sadly, I feel that all my beliefs hold me back. This is why there is little in the way of self realization yet for me. Too much 'me' not enough...?

Alex

Ah, that's exactly the point. We tend to look at our programming as "me", when in fact it's exactly what we are not.

• Like 3

I wrote long on the post , just to take the time needed to lay out the idea, the contradiction I felt was there. Yeah it makes the post look like there's some button pushed.

But,,
Lets say youre right, that only the " real one" exists.. well then the real one is also the illusions,, and there is no 'real' nor is there 'one'. The idea devolves as one tries to be ultra correct -- ALL.
That's what could be indicated, if indications could be made ! The totality of Items, people, ideas, are subsumed under the label of ALL, that which isn't , ISN'T.
You cant help someone else to succeed -or fail - the idea of the entirety of ALL -undifferentiated ,, provides nothing.
No information, no guidance , no logical profundity. It is a black box concept.

To provide a map indicating all directions , in fact,
makes no directional indication whatsoever,
but one might be comforted by having a map proving there is no path.

Edited by Stosh

I myself have many limiting beliefs.

I have an illness that is challenging to overcome, yet being a teacher of qigong and kung fu I feel I should have eliminated it long ago.

Furthermore a social stigma has come with it.

From interactions with others I have taken their fundamentalist views to heart.

I feel a great urge to simply walk away from teaching (Though it really is a great joy in my life) since I do not measure up to what a "true master" would be.

Am I a Master? No, not really. A Master or a Sage would not run the opinions of other through their head regularly.

I have said this before, I have learned much, yet acquired little wisdom.

That being said I must also add, I have gained much knowledge of how NOT to treat others through the actions or words of others.

Can I let these limiting beliefs go?

I believe so, in time.

The opinions of others have nothing to do with me...and visa versa.

• Like 1

To clarify, thoughts and beliefs are different. Spiritual theories are always thoughts. You can say "I believe such and such about the Tao," and you're just saying "I believe in my thoughts." Beliefs are of a different order. I suppose belief could be divided into two types: belief, and Belief. The latter is a deep faith in a particular kind of thought, probably something magnetic, religious, spiritual, cosmic, existential. A lower-case belief is of a totally different order. You almost never notice your lower-case beliefs, and if you've waded into the deep end of your spirituality and gotten stuck there due to egotism, you might think you don't even have any. Lower-case beliefs like "I need money to survive," "If I get enlightened I will be happy," "My mind is more intelligent than other minds," and "I'm scared of being wrong," are background influences, and it takes a lot of vulnerability to access, analyze, and communicate about these. Vulnerability is something a lot of intelligent people find very scary, because it's the ultimate ego-deflator, and sometimes we're just not in a place to accept that our egos, particularly our conceptions of ourselves as wise and spiritual, are in the way of genuine, moment-to-moment, non-rigid, theory-free, fluid, loving, contact with creation... which I would define as wisdom.

wonderful post :D:wub:

Two things I've incorporated in recent years that rung my bell nicely when I first heard them...

Don't believe everything you think.

and

I don't care what you think about me... I don't think about you at all.

• Like 1

I have an illness that is challenging to overcome, yet being a teacher of qigong and kung fu I feel I should have eliminated it long ago.

Furthermore a social stigma has come with it.

From interactions with others I have taken their fundamentalist views to heart.

I feel a great urge to simply walk away from teaching (Though it really is a great joy in my life) since I do not measure up to what a "true master" would be.

Am I a Master? No, not really. A Master or a Sage would not run the opinions of other through their head regularly.

I have said this before, I have learned much, yet acquired little wisdom.

That being said I must also add, I have gained much knowledge of how NOT to treat others through the actions or words of others.

Can I let these limiting beliefs go?

I believe so, in time.

The opinions of others have nothing to do with me...and visa versa.

Really appreciated your post.

Edited by Yasjua
  • Like 1

I think a belief that holds me back is my belief that other people can't understand me.

I marvel at people who are able to become spiritual teachers and talk openly about the most radical and world-changing principles. Even though I live, eat and breathe this stuff I keep it pretty much to myself, unless I know that I am talking to the like-minded - as on the website.

I just feel like actually discussing this stuff with all the regular people in my life would leave them feeling very uncomfortable, and me looking extremely crazy.

Yet it feels like I can't be fully content unless I can learn to share this stuff on a much more regular basis.

My approach therefore is to just wait, and if anyone ever asks me something, or approaches me then I'll happily discuss.

Edited by Nikolai1

Hi white tiger

The most toxic belief of all is that you are a physical body with an illness.

The beneficial beliefs that you have are that it might be healed - either through Qi Gong exercises, or some other form of medicine. But if you are spiritually developing then it might be that you are starting to graduate beyond both Qi Gong and Medicine.

This is a very difficult stage, when, through spiritual awareness we start to outgrow what had previously helped us.

Qi Gong, and all the accompanying theories about energy channels, dantiens and meridians are good, but not excellent beliefs to hold.

The ultimate healing belief is to realise that You are not your body. Realise your true self and you will start to wonder how on earth you could be ill in the first place. This scepticism will eventually heal you.

The hard thing for you is: your Qi Gong will never again heal you, and you need to let it go for yourself while realising that for all your students it still might be the best possible thing on offer.

Edited by Nikolai1
  • Like 1

In life, sometimes we get two flat tyres at once.

never trouble trouble when trouble troubles you, trouble trouble and trouble trouble double

:D

Hi white tiger

The most toxic belief of all is that you are a physical body with an illness.

The beneficial beliefs that you have are that it might be healed - either through Qi Gong exercises, or some other form of medicine. But if you are spiritually developing then it might be that you are starting to graduate beyond both Qi Gong and Medicine.

This is a very difficult stage, when, through spiritual awareness we start to outgrow what had previously helped us.

Qi Gong, and all the accompanying theories about energy channels, dantiens and meridians are good, but not excellent beliefs to hold.

The ultimate healing belief is to realise that You are not your body. Realise your true self and you will start to wonder how on earth you could be ill in the first place. This scepticism will eventually heal you.

The hard thing for you is: your Qi Gong will never again heal you, and you need to let it go for yourself while realising that for all your students it still might be the best possible thing on offer.

Yes absolutely, the physical is an illusion, yet it is a persistent one.

Allow me to offer an excuse however.

At this time, I find qigong very helpful (Though it is mechanism that is also anchoring me to a belief that must be released).

But the biggest hurdle is...I sure love doing it.

I absolutely LOVE training. So...I believe I can let the mind learn that my body is just a tool or even further than that simply an illusion, yet...I do feel that to break down the illusion we take steps that progress us towards that.

I have worked with healers who say "You can be healed right now...you just need to understand that you can! " I must offer that is the same as breaking the illusion down to the point of complete disassociation with all things of a physical nature.

This is a very difficult stage. Or...I find it to be.

I guess what I am saying is I would like others to be patient with me as I am trying to break through those beliefs and take myself to a new state of consciousness.

• Like 1

I have worked with healers who say "You can be healed right now...you just need to understand that you can! " I must offer that is the same as breaking the illusion down to the point of complete disassociation with all things of a physical nature.

This is a very difficult stage. Or...I find it to be.

Yes totally agree, and the disassociation with the physical can't happen until there is some alternative identity to step in place. That identity is just the feeling of identity itself, the feeling of 'I am' that is there whatever happens. In terms of illness, the symptoms - all the pain and discomfort - need to be felt as being one more instance of this 'I Am' But think about them as symptoms and that is what they shall remain.

I'm sure you're pretty good at tuning into feelings in the body, just do the same for you symptoms except don't label them as anything, just feel them purely and directly and you'll realise that no symptom is a 24/7 concern. They flare up and need to be given pure aware consciousness and then they go away again.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this