idiot_stimpy

Man has only to know himself

:D self esteem issues! You don't know how right you are!

Anyway.. no, I get what you mean. Many things lead up to this, but if the question sticks then I'd take a wager it's because of dukkha. But that doesn't mean they are "authentically self-aware", they are just - like you said - "becoming aware of their ignorance". Step one. Not absurd at all. But you already know this, don't you?

If taken literally, then it is quite absurd.

You make a good point about the fact that being aware of ignorance isn't being aware of self, it's just being aware of self-deception.

I agree.

So then "Know Thyself" means transcending one's own ignorance. But what does transcending one's own ignorance mean...ignorance about what...to imply that ignorance is part of the human condition seems to be a very broad statement, so it cannot refer to anything particular as in being ignorant of the location of the TV remote.

We must also keep in mind that the aphorism is found in the context of a mystical tradition, it is the Oracle of Delphi, not Oprah or Doctor Ozz.

Edited by IntuitiveWanderer

Know Thyself is to understand your own fears, angers, resentments - all the way to the bottom of your existence. I'm not sure it's so much a transcension thing as an inner work thing. The diving must be deep, we must not be afraid to expose our defects to ourself, and take steps to overcome the contortions so that our inner vision is pure and not skewed by negative, hateful, or judgmental attitudes.

It's all about quantum shifts in perspectives, IMO.

• Like 3