Blackfinger

Daoist Diet - Meal Suggestions?

Learn to make a good stock and use it in everything.

I won't go through the whole recipe (plenty to be found online) but I have a few tips.

I tend to buy beef bones - all different types, from big marrow bones to the rib offcuts. I buy LOTS for very cheap at farmers markets or butchers and I use a huge pot. If you can get knuckles, joints and bits with tendon, then all the better.

I make sure they're from grass fed cows.

The 'meaty' bones (as in ones that have some meat remaining) I grill on a high heat before puttin in the pot. This adds flavour.

I put the bones in cold water with a bit of vinegar (a table spoon or two) for an hr before heating as this gets more goodies out of the bones.

I cook it for 48hrs minimum (up to 72). If unattended, I just get the pot to a strong boil and put it into an insulator bag I created - this keeps it simmering for hours without a heat source - I pop it back on the stove once Im home again.

When it's ready, I usually simmer the stock down to get it a bit more concentrated. Once cool I pour it into individual portion ziplock bags that I pop in the freezer.

If I've made a lot, I simmer down a few portions worth to a very thick concentrated consistency... it's usually darkish and gloopy... then I pour that super concentrated stock into ice cube bags and freeze. You can then use one or two ice cubes in your cooking (pop one in some rice, bulgur or stew or even towards the end of a stir fry.

It will take a couple of goes before you get your stock spot on.

This stuff, when made well, is like a jing elixir. I'm convinced that it's extremely good for you. And its delicious.

Yes, this is great stuff. I keep meaning to do it like that, but at least I always have a supply of bones in the freezer -- here I can only get one kind of organic bones, marrow (usually beef), and I avoid buying anything meat that's not organic. Luckily, these release their goodies faster than other kinds (though I'd love to have some knuckles and joints, they are a great yin tonic), so I just cook them for a couple of hours and use the broth the same day. Today, e.g., I made cream of asparagus soup. Invented it on the go (as I often do) instead of following a recipe (recipes usually have ingredients I don't want to use for various reasons, or else are too labor-intensive, or require special ingredients I don't have handy, or omit the ones I have handy and would like to use, etc.) Easy and delicious -- here's what I did:

made stock with some marrow bones, a large onion, a large carrot, half a parsnip, half a bunch of parsley, a couple bay leaves, cracked peppercorns, and the tough fibrous lower parts of two bunches of asparagus;

once this was done, I strained it, discarded all the stuff that's been cooking in it except for the bones, let them cool off a bit (important), then extracted the marrow into a separate bowl by blowing it out (fun);

returned the stock to the stove, and threw in the tender parts of the asparagus, plus a zuccini that asked me to include it;

in the meantime, combined the marrow with a can of coconut milk in a blender;

once the asparagus and zuccini were done (15 minutes), I strained the soup again, added the asparagus and zuccini to the coconut-marrow mix in the blender, gave it a minute's run, then poured it all into the pot with the stock, returned to flame, added salt, cooked for a couple of minutes;

and finally, smashed some garlic with my trusty Chinese cleaver, chopped it finely, added that to the soup and gave it another minute. Done. Yum.

• Like 3

I have used this book for years. Highly recommended. Has many recipes in it for healthy living from a Taoist perspective.

TAO OF BALANCED DIET:
SECRETS OF A THIN AND HEALTHY BODY

Shows why stomach, digestive tract, health and weight problems are related to dietary imbalance and why it’s so easy to correct. Complete, delicious, easy-to-prepare, low cholesterol and fat 100-day diet plan controls weight naturally, safely, and enjoyably for a slim and completely healthy body. Featured in the New York Times and Los Angeles Times. Popular in the Americas (North and South), Australia, and Europe (bestseller in France, Italy, and Switzerland).
Item TBD: 200 pgs. ISBN: 0942196058. $20.95

• Like 1

Sally Fallon (who wrote Nourishing Traditions) has a new book out, totally on bone broth.

I haven't seen it yet, but it's got to be good!

• Like 1

Yes, this is great stuff. I keep meaning to do it like that, but at least I always have a supply of bones in the freezer -- here I can only get one kind of organic bones, marrow (usually beef), and I avoid buying anything meat that's not organic. Luckily, these release their goodies faster than other kinds (though I'd love to have some knuckles and joints, they are a great yin tonic), so I just cook them for a couple of hours and use the broth the same day. Today, e.g., I made cream of asparagus soup. Invented it on the go (as I often do) instead of following a recipe (recipes usually have ingredients I don't want to use for various reasons, or else are too labor-intensive, or require special ingredients I don't have handy, or omit the ones I have handy and would like to use, etc.) Easy and delicious -- here's what I did:

made stock with some marrow bones, a large onion, a large carrot, half a parsnip, half a bunch of parsley, a couple bay leaves, cracked peppercorns, and the tough fibrous lower parts of two bunches of asparagus;

once this was done, I strained it, discarded all the stuff that's been cooking in it except for the bones, let them cool off a bit (important), then extracted the marrow into a separate bowl by blowing it out (fun);

returned the stock to the stove, and threw in the tender parts of the asparagus, plus a zuccini that asked me to include it;

in the meantime, combined the marrow with a can of coconut milk in a blender;

once the asparagus and zuccini were done (15 minutes), I strained the soup again, added the asparagus and zuccini to the coconut-marrow mix in the blender, gave it a minute's run, then poured it all into the pot with the stock, returned to flame, added salt, cooked for a couple of minutes;

and finally, smashed some garlic with my trusty Chinese cleaver, chopped it finely, added that to the soup and gave it another minute. Done. Yum.

Your soup sounds delicious! It reads like a Murakami passage :) Although I don't quite have your level of restraint, and would end up eating the bone marrow before it gets anywhere near the soup.

I totally get why you'd cheat on your stock! :P It takes a loooong time to do right, but it's really worth it as long as you make a lot at once - then you have a month's worth of delicious meals with a nutritious broth as the base.

If you can't get knuckles, just add some gelatin to your stock (grass fed beef gelatin is available online), and make sure to save any bones and ligament offcuts from other beefy meals in your freezer for your next stock-making weekend!

Chaya - thanks, I've got fallon's nourishing traditions - this broth book sounds great.

Edited by freeform
  • Like 1

Simplicity has the best results for me.

Lightness of diet = lightness of being.

no meat, dairy, alcohol, grains

As close to the original state, low heating if required +/ sprouting (buckwheat and quinoa are my preference)

Enjoy lots of fruit.

Worth looking into "natural hygiene" / food combinations

For example fruit digests fast and other things take longer... so if you have the other things before fruit or both at the same time there will be conflict.

Less salt the better (inorganic material + dehydration, used for mummification/ preservation)

+ distilled water

//

A typical meal recently will be buckwheat and little else.

I think there is merit in http://www.carlagoldenwellness.com/2013/06/24/7-reasons-to-love-a-monomeal/

• Like 1

I like to cut up a bunch of vegetables and microwave it in a bowl with beans. I eat it with 15 grain bread so I don't have to cook rice all the time. You can add whatever healthy herb or oil or whatever to the bowl. You can finish cooking and eating in like 10 minutes :D

• Like 1

In case you haven't seen this, I saw that Michael Saso put out a Daoist cookbook :D. Saw it at a Buddhist center the other day.... I flipped through wondering where the meat dishes were (Saso is vegetarian lol)

I like to cut up a bunch of vegetables and microwave it in a bowl with beans. I eat it with 15 grain bread so I don't have to cook rice all the time. You can add whatever healthy herb or oil or whatever to the bowl. You can finish cooking and eating in like 10 minutes :D

This sounds good Woodcarver - please could you elaborate?

What kind of veg? What kind of beans? Isn't it a bit dry?

This sounds good Woodcarver - please could you elaborate?

What kind of veg? What kind of beans? Isn't it a bit dry?

Somebody correct my if I'm wrong but the idea of a taoist diet is to simulate how the hunter-gatherer eats... what our bodies were "designed" to eat (ex: no cold stuff). No simulation is perfect so I just eat generally healthy and mix it up every once in a while? What else can I do?

The juice from the beans and maybe some olive oil can help with the dryness but you're not supposed to care, remember? ;)

You get used to it and complex foods start to taste bad.

Edited by woodcarver

did they have microwaves?

No and they didn't have internet, either. It's not the "natural" way to communicate or learn stuff.

We have both of those things now though so aren't taoists supposed to adapt to reality?

I'm eating a chipotle burrito right now because it's enjoyable. Bottom line isn't this about enjoying life? I eat healthy a lot but I'm not totally clear so sometimes I want a burrito. Who cares.

EDIT: to be clear I aim to not want a burrito but I'm not there, yet. Eating well really helps but being unhappy all the time because I'm a taoist doesn't work for me.

Edited by woodcarver

this is about diets not computers haha :P

Computers are not ideal no, for me they are a stepping stone.

Microwaving food from by reading is detrimental though http://www.naturalnews.com/039404_microwave_ovens_vitamins_nutrients.html

Really this is about computers and everything else, too. Your diet can be uber taoist but you're still breathing modern polluted air. I’d recommend to constantly wear a respirator but hunter-gatherers didn't have those.

"Were these wild peppers or farmed? Can't eat farmed peppers and I can only cook them on an open flame, stoves put out unnaturally distributed heat. I do it because I love myself so much. I shouldn't even be using language right now."

Edited by woodcarver

Hahaha

Uber Taoist ... well I don't see how respirators and microwaves are in the same category ...

Microwaves basically pollute/ corrupt the food, respirators prevent polluted/corrupt air being breathed.

But also the creation of respirators would also cause more pollution...

Rather than addressing the cause we are only treating symptoms

Pure air is very important yes.

The absolute ideal/ uber Taoism

Would be living in a pure environment, with pure air, pure water and fresh wild herbs, berries, nuts, tender greens, mushrooms... the elements that sustained and allowed the Immortals to become Immortals.

As with the above kirlian image, lots of life~force energy in such foods.

Edited by eye_of_the_storm

What I'm trying to get across is that there are no categories. Taoism and being healthy extend to everything in your life. How you treat yourself, others, and the universe in general is your health.

• Like 1

A category is a definition a definition is discernment.

You have given Taoism a definition "being healthy extend to everything in your life. How you treat yourself, others, and the universe in general is your health."

and yes these are others aspect of health / holistic approach

Without categories/definitions/ discernment this conversion would be impossible.

Rather than nothing being categories everything is, creation is discernment

How does the Oak seed know to become an Oak tree and a Rose seed a Rose etc

Patterns... not to say these things are isolated though.

this is about diets not computers haha :P

Computers are not ideal no, for me they are a stepping stone.

Microwaving food from by reading is detrimental though http://www.naturalnews.com/039404_microwave_ovens_vitamins_nutrients.html

Well heating in general...

//

+

kirlian-corn.jpg

Best way to cook corn - boil water turn off flame - place corn in water for one minute

• Like 1

The Japanese likewise practiced various dietary abstentions: nikudachi from meat, shiodachi from salt, kokudachi for abstention from the Five Cereals and hidachi or from cooked food (Blacker 1999). Japan’s famous sages, such as Ryosan retired to Mt. Kimpu eating only leaves, or Yosho who diminished his intake to a single grain of millet and then ceased altogether and vanished only to be seen flying like a “unicorn or phoenix” (Blacker 1999). The Japanese have a specific practice, “tree-eating” or mokujiki, to help give up the cereals which consists of eating berries, bark or pine needles. Blacker mentions, Mokujiki Shonin, the Saint Tree-eater, which is applied to ascetics since medieval times. https://sites.google...demons-and-bigu

Best way to cook corn - boil water turn off flame - place corn in water for one minute

I prefer the traditional ways to handle corn. And that's hominy, tamales, polenta, mamaliga, and the Native American corn pancakes fried in lard, and -- I stop just short of the Tarahumara corn flatbread seasoned with mice. :D

Uncooked corn is something about the same percentage of population is unable to digest as the percentage of Asians who can't metabolize alcohol -- about 50%. However, cooking it does not eliminate all of the problems it poses when raw, but treating it with lye does -- which is why this is practiced by all peoples for whom corn has ever been a staple, and you make tamales, as well as all those traditional flatbreads and pancakes (delicious, nutritious, and highly digestible, also rid of the harmful lectins) out of masa harina flour and all its traditional cousins, pre-treated with lye water, a strong alcali obtained by leaching ashes (high in potassium carbonate, which prevents potassium deficiency and potassium-sodium imbalances eating untreated corn often provokes.)

Nutrition is, as I never tire of trying to remind the practitioners of eating, the most complex science of them all. And the most reliable way to master it is to look to the traditional ways -- modern science, whenever it gets around to investigating these, always confirms their superiority... while ideas and ideologies around eating not rooted in those ways change and shift and make U-turns as often as the North Pole Star doesn't.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

Nutrition is, as I never tire of trying to remind the practitioners of eating, the most complex science of them all.

Interesting info about the masa Taomeow. I´m living in Mexico where there´s a lot of delicious things made with corn, and trying to eat semi-paleo/ primal (a la Mark Sisson). Find it helps me a lot with some health issues as well as weight. At the moment that means I´m not eating any tamales or even the delicious handmade nixtamal tortillas sold down at the market. Will probably experiment with reintroducing those foods at some point though and see if it makes a difference for me.

It´s so easy to get caught up in a certain food ideology rather than really listening to my body. Maybe the taoist diet is the one you come up with yourself--with some guidance perhaps from outside expert opinion--but giving your own digestive system the last word.

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

Interesting info about the masa Taomeow. I´m living in Mexico where there´s a lot of delicious things made with corn, and trying to eat semi-paleo/ primal (a la Mark Sisson). Find it helps me a lot with some health issues as well as weight. At the moment that means I´m not eating any tamales or even the delicious handmade nixtamal tortillas sold down at the market. Will probably experiment with reintroducing those foods at some point though and see if it makes a difference for me.

It´s so easy to get caught up in a certain food ideology rather than really listening to my body. Maybe the taoist diet is the one you come up with yourself--with some guidance perhaps from outside expert opinion--but giving your own digestive system the last word.

Liminal

Well, I'm back on Abstaining From Grains (which is close to, but not as strict as, the paleo a la Nora Gedgaudas I did before), so everything I said about corn is for those who eat it -- or for me if I eat it again.

In general, I'm one of those people for whom food is not a big player health-wise -- there's hardly anything I haven't experimented with, but looks like I'm a true omnivore, and also a bit of a gourmet, and definitely not a glutton, so my attitude toward diets is pretty relaxed. I do what makes sense, and if it makes no difference, I change it and do something else. To me, missing out on a few hours of sleep is far more damaging than a whole year of random pigging out, LOL. Different strokes for different folks. But then, I don't eat harmful stuff by default (chemicals, preservatives, GM foods, excessive sweets, etc., don't own a microwave oven, have a gas oven rather than electric, get the best water I can lay my hands on, and so on) and have always made the healthiest choices available in terms of quality (not sparing the effort to cook -- from scratch); while those who come from a different dietary place may get more dramatic results from changing their eating style.

By the way, a friend of mine who is a psychiatrist at a large psychiatric facility in New York asserts that all nutritionists whom the hospital sends to consult and counsel the patients on proper nutrition are mentally retarded. She firmly insists it's her professional opinion, and surmises it must be the requirement for the job.

• Like 1

interesting. For taste though, I like to unwrap it, rub on some butter and herbs, rewrap the husk then throw it on the barbie or any really high heat, let it sit and sear, turn it. When its open its caramelized as well as steamed. Its very good without the butter rub, but even better with it.