Aasin

Taoist living in a rat race world

This is something that I am constantly conflicted with. I live in the United States where the idea of a rat race is probably stronger here than anywhere else in the world. The idea that we constantly need to one up our co-workers,neighbors, and friends in any way shape or form.

Without a doubt this conflicts with Taoism in so many ways.

I have tried to avoid jumping in on the rat race in as many ways as possible. I don't spend my money excessively, I don't pursue worldly pleasures every time possible, and for the longest all I used was a simple flip phone to keep in touch with people. For the most part this has benefited me immensely, but one issue that has come up repeatedly is in the work place.

I like to take my time doing things nice and right the first time. This completely contradicts the get things done right away as soon as possible mentality that so envelops the workplace. When I was younger I worked at a restaurant and was once chastised for cleaning the dishes too slowly! The boss would rather I give the plates a quick rinse rather than thoroughly sanitizing the dishes and utensils. In work it seems the quantity over quality mindset wins out.

Another issue is like I mentioned before in co-workers trying to one up you. The last place I worked at there was this one co-worker who constantly would keep his boss up to date on every little thing he did. This is also known as kissing ass whereas I was the type of person to do what I was told and carry on with my other duties as I felt no need to tell my boss every little accomplishment I had done at work that day.

This co-worker was eventually portrayed as the model employee despite him not doing anything particularly extraordinary. The only difference was that he boasted of his accomplishments and made his face known where I was more behind the scenes. This eventually gave him more opportunities at our work place while the rest of us were left in the dust.

How do you guys cope with this? This is the only place I can think of where Taoism may prove detrimental and as much as it pains me to say this, finances are not something to be taken lightly. I've learned from the TTC to not boast or show off, yet doing just that is rewarding people with more jobs, a raise, and so worth. I'd really like to hear your input on this guys.

• Like 6

This is something I struggle with too -- experiences very similarly to yours, it seems...almost exactly. So my advice might not be worth much, as I don't cope very well either.

I hope that following Laozi can be the answer; that rather than causing more conflict, it helps you to solve conflict; that one can find a way to go with the flow, and appreciate what is available to appreciate.

• Like 1

.....The only difference was that he boasted of his accomplishments and made his face known where I was more behind the scenes.

TTC: A sage always leaves himself behind but ended up in the front.

If your boss needs someone to kiss ass for promotion, then, might as well have the boss kiss your ass good bye.

Their is tremendous conformity in the wordplace. This conformity creates inefficiency, sleep and companies often die from it.

You do not need to become a non-conformist, that is another form of roboticism.

But as one in practice - be in now - and when you see something that is inefficient you might bring it to your bosses attention.

If you see a group agreement that is stuck in the past - do not be a part of it - you may wish to bring attention to it or not.

I have seen company parties get completely out of hand - the wise ones remained clear headed and it did not go unnoticed.

You do not need to wrap yourself in some cooccon of self absorbtion and you do not need to be silent in the ordinary sense.

You can ask your employer if you can speak to them - and you can offer up your original post to them in so many words.

You might be astonished to learn that employers are often very excited to hear from someone who did not previously appear to have the balls to stand before them and simply say something like - "I would like you to know that I am someone who does not like to toot my own horn, but that does not mean I would not like to move up the ladder and it appears that in general out in the world the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so I just wanted you to know that I would appreciate any guidance you can give me in order to move forward. I am willing to work toward a goal and if you have any special projects - attention to detail is my strong point"

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 4

This is my own personal take on taoism, having come close to renouncing the world for these kinds of reasons.

The TTC was written thousands of years ago, based on living in harmony with nature. Unfortunately for most people, our modern lifestyle doesn't resemble nature at all. But the urban environment and situations we live in, that's our version of nature.

Taoism to me is living in harmony with YOUR way - whatever you love doing, the way you know it works for you, do that to the best of your ability and try to enjoy yourself and appreciate life as much as possible. I got really into the "success technology" of tony robbins, reading books on navy seals and preparedness, business efficiency books, just to introduce myself to that way of thinking, because our world runs on a business model. It started as a "know your enemy" kind of attitude, but I found it actually sharpened my thinking quite a bit.

A positive attitude trumps everything - every technique, every supplement, every spiritual practice. If you make up your mind to really enjoy yourself, you're basically invincible - it's like going to the last level of the video game. "Put yourself in heaven this moment" -Hafiz

Especially when it comes to reputation in the workplace, if you have a really positive attitude, that ultimately becomes a "can-do" attitude. "Can do" people are usually running the place within a few years. It takes training and effort like any other skill, but I truly, sincerely believe that the laughing sages, the zen lunatics, the wild taoists, their endless positivity and serentiy came about because they made up their damn minds to love life. Part of it comes from cultivating their chi, sure, so they're vital enough to feel good. But it's very mental.

What I've found in my own life is, if you live like that, problems and egos become very small things. The idea of the "humble taoist" - the taoist isn't humble out of some moral obligation not to stick out. I just think they're having so much fun, and feeling so good, that the details are just trifles. If you feel good everything around you is beautiful, because you transmute your surroundings with positivity.

Edited by dogson
  • Like 2

You might want to consider a different nneighborhood or a different line of work. The norm you describe does not match my general experience.

That said, and specific to your brown-nosing co-worker, don't assume your supervisor is not perceptive enough to notice when his backside is being nuzzled. I certainly do (which has been offered as an explanation for my facial expression...)

As to the Taoist aspect, it is easy to be in harmony with the universe before getting out of bed in the morning or while sitting in a tranquil cave.

• Like 1

I would reiterate bringing it up to the boss that you want to move forward in the company. Then he/she will be watching you anyways, and respect your modesty.

For moving quickly and mindfully at the same time - it helps to be already in motion so that you can use that momentum rather than having to refocus on moving quickly.

Well, the truth is that you may be practicing Taoism but you haven't realized the Tao yet. If you have, you can perform tasks and seeing a situation in a completely different light and even be able to provide solutions to a problem of which no one has thought of. Not even your co-worker, You will use your actions and deeds to speak for themselves. You don't engage in idle chatters and pointless ass kissing. You can even brag about your accomplishment and to be passive aggressive without appearing unprofessional and leaving your co-worker feeling stupid.

You assume somehow a Taoist is slow for this world. Too detached to understand this world.

Worrying about oneself and ones path is far more important than worrying about others and what they are up to. Sure if it difficult when they are around you all day everyday, but it can be done with practice. The handy thing about the external mundane world is that it helps us to learn about ourselves.

While you are at it, making plans early for the type of life/situation you do want is good too. However, changing the external only seems like change for a time, but then the same old things tend to come back up. So a balance between what we feel is how a cultivator should live, and some practicality, is essential.

• Like 3

Worrying about oneself and ones path is far more important than worrying about others and what they are up to. Sure if it difficult when they are around you all day everyday, but it can be done with practice. The handy thing about the external mundane world is that it helps us to learn about ourselves.

While you are at it, making plans early for the type of life/situation you do want is good too. However, changing the external only seems like change for a time, but then the same old things tend to come back up. So a balance between what we feel is how a cultivator should live, and some practicality, is essential.

This is actually worth repeating, IMO.

• Like 1

This is actually worth repeating, IMO.

Agreed, although the first word of "worrying" has some off-key connotations, which I think could be improved with something like, "Being grounded about oneself".

(even if I sound kind of like a know-it-all a-hole for interjecting that :huh:;) )

Edited by 3bob

Aasin

I think you're still in an auspicious situation because it seems like you are basically motivated to the do the job you are doing, to do at well, to be recognised for what you are doing and rewarded as you see is fair.

All these values mean that you are managing to run the rat race pretty well, and if you are as competent as you think you are, it won't go unnoticed for long. Those who are always desperate to get all the credit sooner or later slip up - usually their need to get the credit leaves them to make lapses of judgement, enemies etc.

The rat race becomes a much harder place when the goals of your organisation and the fruits of your collective labour no longer motivate you. Or, when you no longer see the meaning or sense of what you do because it belongs to a mindset that you no longer hold. If you ever start to feel lukewarm about whether 'the shareholders are rewarded' or not...if you no longer care about the broad aims - then your days in the rat race are numbered.

It is a brutal truth that this collapse of mainstream values is one of the occupational hazards of spiritual cultivation. It is VERY common for quite drastic changes to occur in a person's working life- whether we like it or not. It's very easy to feel guilty about this - we feel that we aren't living up to the ideal of the 'sage amongst the butchers and wine bibbers'. We feel like we should be at home anywhere - even in the boardroom. But when our motivation goes, its gone...and it won't come back.

So much of the world's work is based on all too human fears and passions - our fear of privation, our need for status, our boredom and need for stimuation,..I could go on. The spiritually developed person quite simply ceases to feel this. Any work whose raison d'etre is to meet these imaginary needs should be undertaken by those who feel the fears and the passions. The sage's work is of a different nature.

• Like 1

(even if I sound kind of like a know-it-all a-hole for interjecting that :huh:;) )

Hehehe. Well, you said it and I won't speak to it.

oh but you did, hehe

Yes, he always have something to say but vaguely and being a two-headed snake..... :)

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Yes, he always have something to say but vaguely and being a two-headed snake..... :)

And each head has a forked tongue.

• Like 1

Agreed, although the first word of "worrying" has some off-key connotations, which I think could be improved with something like, "Being grounded about oneself".

OK "focusing on" would fit better than worrying :).

• Like 1

Okay, I have to confess that 3bob did make a valid point.

"Worrying" does have many negative connotations.

And yes, BKA, "focusing on" feels so much better.

Okay, I have to confess that 3bob did make a valid point.

"Worrying" does have many negative connotations.

And yes, BKA, "focusing on" feels so much better.

if you make a confession aren't I supposed to do something afterwards?

if you make a confession aren't I supposed to do something afterwards?

Hit me on the back with a bamboo cane?

Or is it "Say three Hail Marys and put fifty dollars in the offering plate"?

• Like 1

In 2005, I wrote this in a part of my introduction here. Maybe it had relevance. It

"short answer to leaving the rat race:

Own a business where you can find value in other peoples garbage(very Taoish). Find the Big customers. Live well but cheaply.

Best business advice, The best business deal is not the one that gets you the most. Its the one where both parties leave happy. Thats the way to long term deals and relationships.

Best Sales advice. Candy, keep Halloween type candy in your pockets. Hand it out liberally to secretaries as well as decision makers. Accepting food has much deeper connotations then you might assume. Decision makers will buy from friends all things being equal or slightly inequal, be friendly.

Best Management, be lavish w/ the little things, buying lunches, snacks, extra time off, while keeping the big things (salary & benefits) under control. No one will ever think they are being paid enough, but they will remember the lunches provided, free small loans, ability to come and leave early when needed."

• Like 4

Hit me on the back with a bamboo cane?

Or is it "Say three Hail Marys and put fifty dollars in the offering plate"?

...add some Our Fathers - oops in your case it would be add some chapters of the T.T.C. and go in peace.

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1