Nikolai1

Does I Ching work for anyone?

Hi all,

Over the last 10 years the I Ching has become more and more helpful to me.

Why is this?

Am I getting better at interpreting it? Or does the I Ching only 'work' for those who are also cultivating themselves through spiritual practice?

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts!

• Like 3

The I Ching has been extremely helpful since the first day I got my hands on it. I can only think of one instance in which the advice I got from it was not clear, and it may have had more to do with what I was asking than any specific fault of the book.

I haven't consulted the book recently as I've not had anything worth its time to inquire about but even so it has proven invaluable in the past and hopefully it will be in my future as well.

• Like 3

Well - yes. But it's all very mysterious. That's why the study of the "I Ching", "Daodejing" and "Zhuangzi" together is referred to as "xuanxue", I guess; because it reaches into the realm of the ineffable...

• Like 2

yesterday afternoon either and/or the I Ching and my Fu Fak Shen stepped in to prevent me from doing something very insensitive, short sighted and stupid. in other words they kept me from sabotaging myself at a critical time over a very delicate matter that is very important to me right now.

my attitude is grattitude, once again, amazed.

• Like 2

I love how adaptable the I Ching is to the myriad layers of life. The more surface layers tend to quite busy, and the resulting hexagrams describe myriad combinations of change. And as I reach deeper into stillness before making a consultation, the I Ching offers description on layers that are more profound and subtle, but also these layers have fewer moving parts and are simpler to understand.

But this whole layers thing is also in operation with my relationship to the I Ching. Over time I am able to cut through more surface level understandings and uncover much deeper and more profound meanings to the systems of changes described.

To me this is part of the operation of the hexagram 21, Biting Through. One investigates principle in various ways, as though navigating a maze. Often we remain stuck in the current layer, but from time to time we break through, and the operation of the top line frees us from our old paradigm and shows us a brand new way of seeing things.

Part of the beauty of the I Ching is it's simplicity. It suffers our complicated understandings of the world and ever offers a way to get deeper, always remaining true. At even deeper levels of profundity one needs look no further than the 8 trigrams.

• Like 2

I know very little in general, but what resonates with me most is the anti-logic involved with the I ching. The stroke of pure moment. I used to ask questions, and I would get wonderful answers. But now I just focus on whatever is most prominent in my mind, even if its not a question, just a thought, and I hold it as I cast my coins. Since I have become more flexible in my questioning it has become more direct in answering. Although I must keep in mind that the answer I read is now through the filter of thoughts I was holding in my mind at the time.

• Like 4