idiot_stimpy

Whats in a name?

What if you don't attribute any meaning to the name?

Does the name still have power?

It's a two way street. You may have no trouble dissolving any internal polarity and associations related to the name, but you will still need to dissolve any external polarities created by the name.

In a way a name like this is great because you can easily identify the polarity created by the name and it is merely the mask, not you. Others may get tripped up by the mask, and may treat you differently.

I've been sporting a bushy beard the past 5 months. I noticed that as I walk through the city, the locals here don't find beards anything unusual, and treat me normally. Some tourists however, look down on me, perhaps as though I am homeless. For me this has been developmental, as I am welcoming of the opportunity to be beneath another and develop my humility. Also because it offers an opportunity to communicate with more refinement, to allow people to see past the image they may have conceived through habit.

idiot_stimpy, I see you doing this very often, and I have a lot of respect for the quality of your posting, and the humility you share with us.

• Like 3

People priding themselves on humility. People only pursue humility because they think it is better than something else, there is an inherent hypocrisy.

I would take pride over dishonesty

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 2

People priding themselves on humility. People only pursue humility because they think it is better than something else, there is an inherent hypocrisy.

I would take pride over dishonesty

that by definition is not humility and is usually easily spotted...

• Like 1

That is humility in its true form = dishonesty

Being humble in my view would be better described as truthful/ reasonable.

The Sun shines bright and gives life to all, it is good.

A flower is beautiful, lifts our spirits and gives delightful perfumes, it is good

etc

There is no reason for these things to pretend that they are less than what they are. Such a deception would not benefit them or others.

There is no reason for these things to pretend that they are less than what they are. Such a deception would not benefit them or others.

Yes, this is important. I have mentioned it before. Things are what they are. Add or subtract nothing.

• Like 2

Rather than pretending to be less, one refuses to acknowledge being any particular label of being in comparison to others. And thus dares not put ones self above anything else, by never looking at what one has, always trying to be better while never acknowledging development as getting them somewhere.

In this way the tao is cultivated and cannot be stripped away - for what is there to strip away.

Edited by Daeluin

Rather than pretending to be less, one refuses to acknowledge being any particular label of being in comparison to others. And thus dares not put ones self above anything else, by never looking at what one has, always trying to be better while never acknowledging development as getting them somewhere.

In this way the tao is cultivated and cannot be stripped away - for what is there to strip away.

Why try so hard to be nothing?

Why try so hard to be nothing?

It's about being what you are without looking in the mirror. It's about being real without ego. Laozi and Zhuangzi discuss this. It's not about being nothing, but about merging with everything and transcending it.

why do you even bother to communicate? it is all labels

Just because they're labels doesn't equal not communicating. I don't see the conditioning that way.

Yes we are our thoughts and the awareness it arises from

What school of thought are you coming from?

Yes we are our thoughts and the awareness it arises from

What school of thought are you coming from?

I like your answer and funny too.

Mainly my own self observation.

• Like 2

Are we our thoughts?

If yes, if we stop thinking, will we disappear?

If we cannot see past our own noses, then yes, we are nothing but our thoughts.

One can either direct thoughts obsessively around self, or away from self, expansively. If its the latter, i think yes, the small self vanishes, and karma dissolves together in that vanishing.

• Like 1

Are we our thoughts?

I'm not. You may be.

If yes, if we stop thinking, will we disappear?

Therefore don't stop thinking else you may disappear.

I have stopped thinking and I didn't die.

That would indicate to me that you are much more than just your thoughts then.

• Like 2

Death is surname around Essex.

Most of them spell and pronounce it De' Ath.

There was however a long established butcher's shop in Leigh on Sea with the sign above the shop window reading.......

" Death... Family Butcher".

Edited by GrandmasterP