idiot_stimpy

Whats in a name?

Yeah, the edges of our given names are likely related to past karmic patterns. I like the Chinese tradition of taking on new names sometimes. We can definitely grow out of past patterns, at which point perhaps we need a new name. Changing our own name might be a bit blindsided though, and others are not likely to know us at a deep enough level to give us a truly matching name. A spiritual master on the other hand might. Or just approaching the tao sincerely wishing to be named, one might be handed your way.

The name I have here is from tolkien's elvish. I put a lot of effort studying a dictionary and putting some words together that had a nice feel to them with a good meaning. But then I took another step and posted on some forums with elvish experts, and they changed the words around and one of the words changed completely, as their take on the meaning I had selected. I accepted this gift, and it has stuck with me for many years now... it's funny, the word that changed completely became "dae", which means shadow. People tend to shorten my name and just call me "dae" or "daedae", so it's more the part of the name I didn't chose for myself that has stuck. This was all a bit before my journey into tao, where now I see "te" has an important meaning. But had I chosen "dae" on my own it would have simply been ego linking it to "te", but since it came to me through surrender I can use it as a guide. My given name also has a similar meaning to "te". It's funny, because my given name was very strange and odd where I grew up, and I got made fun of endlessly for it - just kids being kids. So it definitely served a purpose in my development... some things require standing up for and owning, or perhaps they'll own you instead.

• Like 2

Folks select Label- names because,

they either fit an ideal they have for themselves

or they wish themselves to fit.

Names that fall to them , well , they may or may not fit.

Even so The general pattern is for one to make some attempt to live up to a name or label

whether this label is in the form of a profession , or a totem , race or any other type.

If one tries intentionally to change their actual appelation ,

it usually takes a while to feel comfortable in it.

I think its natural to have some sort of name , and it be one that fits.

and if someone on the street were to call out STOSH!

Im pretty sure Id turn without even thinking now.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2

...... I accepted this gift, and it has stuck with me for many years now... it's funny, the word that changed completely became "dae", which means shadow. People tend to shorten my name and just call me "dae" or "daedae",

I can see that in your nick, 半影, half shadow....... :):D

Dae is half of "daedae".......!!! ;)

Edited by ChiDragon

What's in my name?

I've always been fond of names having meaning and that the meanings of names are either intrinsic, or learned over time and exposure. Weather this fondness is a matter of accuracy, i cannot possibly say with certainty, but with what little observation i've put into it over the last 10-20 years.

I would say that more often than not, unless the intrinsic nature of an individual outright resists their given name, one is either aptly named, or eventually becomes the meaning of their name.

If they outright reject the meaning of their name, they will certainly be easily 'renamed' - or that is, found an accurately reflecting name which suits their nature, and their rejection of their given name.

• Like 1

I can see that in your nick, 半影, half shadow....... :):D

Dae is half of "daedae".......!!! ;)

Half-shadow is actually "penumbra", the shadow of the shadow. To me this feels related to the one opening of the mysterious barrier... and yeah seemed to fit the "shadow" part of my nick. It's always amused me that "dae" sounds like "day", which is light, even though the word is the shadow of the light, in between dark and light.

Also... just occurred to me... back when I played Trombone, my section of Trombonists in marching band liked acting like a fraternity, and started giving us names.... I didn't like any of the names they gave me (they didn't know me at all, heck I didn't know myself either). So I kept refusing their names until finally they said OK, you're "T.A.O." - There's Always One. Which I kinda liked. Again... this was before I knew much about taoism... in the end they settled on one of the name's I'd turned down, which is related to a movie character from "dumb and dumber". :unsure: Even that didn't last. Hexagram 13 comes to mind.

• Like 1

Oh No!!! Another "What came first?" question!

:D sorry Marbles ... it was rhetorical.

• Like 1

Wasn't an alternative 'core' to this thread, (other than the direction it actually ended up taking), the question of whether it would be a good idea to change the name of this thread ?

I'll give you a story that happened to me about a week ago as a means to more pictorially put across my feelings on the hypothetical question :

A good friend had been staying at our place for a number of weeks. We gave him the bedroom where the house computer was so that he always had an internet reconnection whenever he wanted, and my wife and I used our laptops. One day he called me up and asked me about some information I'd mentioned. He was sat at the chair in front of the monitor while I pulled up the information.

In doing so, a list of recent sites I'd been on came up amongst which was this site's name. As he read it, he involuntarily let out a snort of laughter and surprise as he read out loud,.. " Taobums !)

I knew instantly why he laughed. At least he did have the grace not to comment any further, but just let the unexpected incident disappear without another mention.

But really, I felt an instant embarrassment to have been found visiting a site with as childishly ridiculous a name as "Tao Bums". You quickly get used to it if you hang out here and the whole thing becomes inconsequential and hence invisible. But whisper to any of your un-initiated friends that in your spare time you frequently visit a website called TaoBums,.... And I suspect we would all get a lot of raised, surprised, and 'embarrassed-for-us' eyebrows shoot up.

To my ears, the name simply sounds juvenile and trite to any uninitiated person on first hearing it. The word "bum" is just too full of silly and childish connotations to ever merit the remotest corner of space in the name of any organisation that wishes to be taken seriously about anything.

Anyway, that's just how I feel about it. I know others will have different opinions.

Edited by ThisLife
  • Like 1

Ahaha! I started a thread sometime ago about reconsidering the "Tao Bums" name

This thread is about Idiot changing his name though (maybe, ha)

Wasn't an alternative 'core' to this thread, (other than the direction it actually ended up taking), the question of whether it would be a good idea to change the name of this thread ?

I'll give you a story that happened to me about a week ago as a means to more pictorially put across my feelings on the hypothetical question :

A good friend had been staying at our place for a number of weeks. We gave him the bedroom where the house computer was so that he always had an internet reconnection whenever he wanted, and my wife and I used our laptops. One day he called me up and asked me about some information I'd mentioned. He was sat at the chair in front of the monitor while I pulled up the information.

In doing so, a list of recent sites I'd been on came up amongst which was this site's name. As he read it, he involuntarily let out a snort of laughter and surprise as he read out loud,.. " Taobums !)

I knew instantly why he laughed. At least he did have the grace not to comment any further, but just let the unexpected incident disappear without another mention.

But really, I felt an instant embarrassment to have been found visiting a site with as childishly ridiculous a name as "Tao Bums". You quickly get used to it if you hang out here and the whole thing becomes inconsequential and hence invisible. But whisper to any of your un-initiated friends that in your spare time you frequently visit a website called TaoBums,.... And I suspect we would all get a lot of raised, surprised, and 'embarrassed-for-us' eyebrows shoot up.

To my ears, the name simply sounds juvenile and trite to any uninitiated person on first hearing it. The word "bum" is just too full of silly and childish connotations to ever merit the remotest corner of space in the name of any organisation that wishes to be taken seriously about anything.

Anyway, that's just how I feel about it. I know others will have different opinions.

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

What's in my name?

I've always been fond of names having meaning and that the meanings of names are either intrinsic, or learned over time and exposure. Weather this fondness is a matter of accuracy, i cannot possibly say with certainty, but with what little observation i've put into it over the last 10-20 years.

I would say that more often than not, unless the intrinsic nature of an individual outright resists their given name, one is either aptly named, or eventually becomes the meaning of their name.

If they outright reject the meaning of their name, they will certainly be easily 'renamed' - or that is, found an accurately reflecting name which suits their nature, and their rejection of their given name.

VANIR! :)

Ya, I was saying in another thread that I have seen names become self fulfilling overtime.

• Like 1

What is it within ourselves that get embarrassed?

Programming that works within the realm of preconceived notions.

Maybe my name is not so stupid after all and is a practice in itself.

• Like 4

Yeah, others will have different opinions. Hehehe. Here I am at the "TaoBums" site talking with some person who has concerns about life.

"Bums" also has some positive connotations. For example, bums are those who have dropped out of the "rat race" or are trying to find ways to be themself while functioning within the rat race. A "Bum" is a person who prefers doing their own thing. The laws of society don't generally apply. They are free to find their true nature.

• Like 1

So you think you are pretty smart calling yourself an idiot? :P

Nothing wrong with admitting that we don't know something.

Yes, in the real world if we tell people we don't know they will pin the label "Idiot" on us. Afterall, people know everything. Just ask someone a question - they will give you the real and true answer almost everytime. (Even if they don't have a clue.)

I have my opinions and understandings. I "know" things for myself. They likely wouldn't apply to anyone else's life.

"TaoBums" is just a label, just like is "Idiot-Stimpy" and "Marblehead". Grasp the concept then forget the words.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with admitting that we don't know something.

Yes, in the real world if we tell people we don't know they will pin the label "Idiot" on us. Afterall, people know everything. Just ask someone a question - they will give you the real and true answer almost everytime. (Even if they don't have a clue.)

I have my opinions and understandings. I "know" things for myself. They likely wouldn't apply to anyone else's life.

"TaoBums" is just a label, just like is "Idiot-Stimpy" and "Marblehead". Grasp the concept then forget the words.

Bit like National Anthems then?

:)

i believes names are very powerful.

as far as the name someone receives and them 'wanting' to live up to the 'expectation/meaning' of that name, i don't think they have to know what their names mean in most cases. i find that for the most part, people with a certain name tend to fulfill the 'expectations' of a person with that name.

i believe that it has more to do with the sound of the name. sound is very powerful. having a certain sound vibrated towards/through your being for almost all of your life must certainly have some kind of effect on your overall being(/mind/body)...

• Like 1

i believes names are very powerful.

Only if we allow it to be so. Remember, names and labels are only mental concepts; they have no existence other than within a person's mind. They have nothing to do with manifest reality.

What if you don't attribute any meaning to the name?

Does the name still have power?

Yes.

For example ' Police'.

Like that old song says....

" I fought the law and the law won."

:)

" We should all get to choose our own parents' names."

( Dweezil Zappa).

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

Only if we allow it to be so. Remember, names and labels are only mental concepts; they have no existence other than within a person's mind. They have nothing to do with manifest reality.

one can not give a mantra any definition, yet the mantra will still have a certain effect.

• Like 4

I.S, said in another thread he was attracting accidents, accidents are typical of a fool.

It may be that your name + that character/ persona/ mask is attracting those accidents.

Just a thought, continue as you will.

I.S is only used on this forum.

Attracting incidents was due to a certain type of being I experienced that day, due to a certain meditation technique carried out the night before.

• Like 1