Sign in to follow this  
3bob

3 reasons why enlightenment sucks

Is that a Koan??? By virtue of being enlightened, you posses 5 transcendental wisdoms (prajnaparamita). The first one is speech and verse mastery. The second one is literary mastery. Don't remember the other 3. Also, because your mind has been submersed into the samadhi, you have already developed certain superpowers or paranormal powers. What are trades or skills that an enlightened being couldn't master, in a short time???? :) Once you can create forms out of nothingness, out of the void, the entire world, the entire Samsara, IS actually an illusion. An illusion you can actually banish in a single thought with a diamond sharp dharma wisdom.

oh totally man, im with you. haha

some super powers are actually a huge burden before enlightenment. the person can't control their mind...so backfires can happen. but, imo pre-enlightenment powers are pretty weak and not substantial.

• Like 1

haha, btw being a "Buddha" is in no way limited to just being a Buddhist - which often seems to be implied at this site by our Buddhist biased folks...

btw #2 "powers" can also put one on the fast track to a demon-like state and surely will if not used for dharma, (the "dharma" which is in no way limited to just Buddhist dharma as often implied by our Buddhist biased folks)

...this is the general forum right?

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

+1

Some of those Buddhabums seem to believe that Buddhism is a religion that somehow needs them to evangelise on its behalf.

Dharma Wheel is where the fundamentalist Buddhists usually hang out but we do seem to get an overspill of those on here now and again.

They surely are argumentative little critters too.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP

+1

Some of those Buddhabums seem to believe that Buddhism is a religion that somehow needs them to evangelise on its behalf.

Dharma Wheel is where the fundamentalist Buddhists usually hang out but we do seem to get an overspill of those on here now and again.

They surely are argumentative little critters too.

:)

I was in one of their discussions a while back. The author was arguing why blacks and "color people" do not believe and practice Buddhism. They believe that, as the privileged white folks, they have to spread the teaching of the great Buddhadarma to the less privelaged blacks and color people.

Knowing me, I gave an one liner about the author worshiping form and being deluded by form by drawing the connection between race and Buddhism.

Edited by ChiForce
  • Like 3

btw #2 "powers" can also put one on the fast track to a demon-like state and surely will if not used for dharma, (the "dharma" which is in no way limited to just Buddhist dharma as often implied by our Buddhist biased folks)

...this is the general forum right?

i think in such cases a person has to accept being a demon to reach enlightenment. to transcend their fears.

i think in such cases a person has to accept being a demon to reach enlightenment. to transcend their fears.

nope, for one has to (accept) surrender to the great Tao to transcend fear, while potential turned into actual demon-hood is based in fear and all of its evil cousins.

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

nope, for one has to (accept) surrender to the great Tao to transcend fear, while potential turned into actual demon-hood is based in fear and all of its evil cousins.

What do they fear?

What does being egotistically bound bring about? (or what is its root?)

(btw, evil "cousins" was meant to mean related vices, thus not a "they" per-se although such could come into play)

What does being egotistically bound bring about? (or what is its root?)

(btw, evil "cousins" was meant to mean related vices, thus not a "they" per-se although such could come into play)

The root would be the mind, wants, needs, and desires. I'm not sure i completely understand what your saying though.

Maybe just letting go and flowing with the tao.

I'm still looking for my "Don't Like" button and just haven't found it yet.

• Like 1

Yes. But that's not as easy as it might sound. (We still have to take care of ourself.)

Yes. But that's not as easy as it might sound. (We still have to take care of ourself.)

But taking care of self goes without saying, right? I mean, that aspect of it is not separate from the flow of Tao, or do you see it as 2 distinct occurrences?

Interesting point.

Wonder what the 'celibacy/retention' crowd think?

Not Taoist ( by a long shot) but I've mentioned those anorexic ' Forest Hermitage' Buddhists near us before now.

Some of those daft lads definitely need a good hot dinner or two inside of 'em.

They are distinctly and visibly malnourished.

There's no sense in that whatsoever.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

But taking care of self goes without saying, right? I mean, that aspect of it is not separate from the flow of Tao, or do you see it as 2 distinct occurrences?

You caught me. Hehehe.

Yes, taking care of oneself should go without saying. But look around - we will see many who do not do that very well at all.

Remember, Tao doesn't give a shit. If two stars happen to collide so what? Well, such an event will make a big boom. It will also destroy both stars. I don't want to be destroyed because I didn't stop at a red light at an intersection while driving my car simply because I had intentions of getting from point "A" to point "B" in the shortest amount of time possible.

Yes, on consideration I do see it as two distinct occurances. Tao doesn't care, I do. Tao functions without intent, I function with intent (but not always).

I'm still looking for my "Don't Like" button and just haven't found it yet.

i wasn't very clear.

letting go, and accepting what is happening and the lack of control are synonymous. If a person doesn't accept what is happening, then they are fighting their mind...which is the opposite of overcoming the mind and gaining control of such abilities.

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

Remember, Tao doesn't give a shit.

i would disagree with this. the universe works for the betterment of those who work with the universe.

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

I'd like the one that lets you fly around. :)

Just curious but what sources have you heard of this?

Occurrence of this are rare imo

Edited by MooNiNite

The root would be the mind, wants, needs, and desires. I'm not sure i completely understand what your saying though.

I'd say that fear (besides acting as a protective and temporary instinct) has no root except in a lie, and a lie can not stand on its own. (btw, the term "mind" is often problematic since it is used in many different ways or with different meanings...)

In your earlier post if you changed "accept" to facing ones demons (or fears) then the meaning would be a lot different to me, btw, there is that saying along the lines of what we fear shall come upon us.

Good day

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

i would disagree with this. the universe works for the betterment of those who work with the universe.

I would also join with that disagreement in the sense that "the sage is always good at saving men, and therefore nobody is abandoned, Always good at saving things and therefore nothing is wasted", T.T.C. 27, John Wu translation.

(hence such a Sage is one with the Great Tao)

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

Pigs might do it.

one can go to the astral and fly until the cows come home

Sign in to follow this