Well I do like divination, and decided on "Tao Stones" by Zhao Xioamin and Martin Palmer (2008), instead of "Chi Chi sticks" (which I might acquire later).

Someone reviewed these Stones at Aeclectic Tarot, which includes an example reading:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=114462

I'd include a link to the product, but don't want to be misunderstood as spamming.

Has anyone here worked with these Stones? My copy (yet to receive) will include a 160 page book. Plan to use as before-start-of-day meditation. ^_^

• Like 1

Ah! What a neat way of diving the I-Ching. I've shied away from yarrow stalks and coin tossing, and use the seed method instead. But this seems to be another great method, nice find!

I didn't see a direct mention of the I-Ching on the product page, but that seems to be what you're getting into. Lots of great book recommendations to help with interpretations in the I Ching sub-forum here.

Studying the I-Ching is very good for learning to find balance and harmony with the many changes of the tao.

• Like 1

Ah! What a neat way of diving the I-Ching. I've shied away from yarrow stalks and coin tossing, and use the seed method instead. But this seems to be another great method, nice find!

I didn't see a direct mention of the I-Ching on the product page, but that seems to be what you're getting into. Lots of great book recommendations to help with interpretations in the I Ching sub-forum here.

Studying the I-Ching is very good for learning to find balance and harmony with the many changes of the tao.

Seems it is a more "user friendly" form of I-Ching; that's my impression.

I might study I-Ching at some point; frankly, it seems so complex (intimidating). :unsure: Earlier today, in a used bookstore, I browsed two or three books about I-Ching; didn't purchase. These Stones seem a very good intro for possible later delving into I-Ching.

For now my focus is on meditation (or what's "meditation" for me anyway - ha ha) and reading; have found a guide book by Eva Wong regarding Taoism (history, its development, etc.).

Taking this all slow, easy, steady.

• Like 3

Agreed, there is definitely a learning curve. The changes are subtle and complex and I am constantly finding myself surprised by them, even ones I've studied a long time. I'm discovering more how the changes work in layers of meanings.... sometimes I uncover a deeper layer and a whole new world of change unfolds.

It's nice to see there is a version that is simpler and it sounds like this one might not go into the lines themselves either. I'm tempted to grab a set.

R. L. Wing does a great job simplifying the I-Ching, in my opinion. The historical text is removed, but the essence is portrayed with simple but profound explanations that avoid confusion.

• Like 1

It's nice to see there is a version that is simpler and it sounds like this one might not go into the lines themselves either. I'm tempted to grab a set.

If you do, be advised that there's a set (the original edition?) with a short booklet (I think 64 pages). My set's book is 160 pages; wanted that longer, more detailed book.

Also, and you might already know this, divination items - once out of print - can become very expensive. Tarot decks/kits are a prime example.

Edited by Tao of Buttercup
  • Like 1