ChiDragon

Let's Talk about Fa Jin(發勁)

Dwai, thanks for your elaborate reply. Very interesting what you are saying here.

I think the question of physical strength is a pretty complex one. To many people in the internal martial arts, it seems to imply stiffness and inflexibility. Yes, there are bulked up folks like that. As much as there are many artistic gymnastics etc. well trained strenght-wise but as flexible as a rubber. The question generally lies more in the functionality of your muscle mass relative to the desired physical activity and how you are able to apply this functional strength - if you can do so relaxedly and with the proper body coordination. For that matter, I think internal martial arts strongly rely on body mechanics, and this is physical/physics.

Some internal practitioners say that the strength they're using comes not from the muscles but from the sinews. I do think this has a meaning even though it's somewhat unintelligible to me right now, anatomically speaking.

I see, learning by doing. I agree that ultimately it's the only way to go. It's a typically Asian approach to teaching, btw; "simply try to follow what I show you", not too many words made. I guess I simply like to know where I'm going so that I can choose my way more consciously.

Still wondering though if somebody other than the Montaigue school explains these things in technical detail - while there is no doubt that the ability to perform them properly is a result of years of training.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Good observations/inferences there of.

WRT softness/lack of strength. My Sifu has a nice, simple way of showing this. He will ask you to push/pull his arm with him standing in a normal way, no bow and arrow, etc. Then he will use physical strength - muscle strength. And with some effort you can push him or pull him. Then he completely relaxes, and starts condensing his energy. There is no tightening of the muscles in his arm. It still feels soft on the surface (unlike how a flexed muscle feels), but its like pushing into a balloon (or like pulling the bumper of a truck, depending on what you choose to do). As more physical force is introduced (say by the person pushing or pulling), it just gets used to condense more and more.

No, letting go of strength, really means that. No muscular strength. The energy takes over. Of course, there are those who don't believe Qi is real or it is a type of energy, much like electricity is.

What I'm trying to tell you is that if you have the degree of softness/relaxation needed, read Chapter 2 of the book and there is enough material in there to keep you going for 3-4 years at least. It is not overly complicated, no elaborate routines of physical contortion or mental acrobatics. Real simple stuff, and it simply works. We just have to work at it...

As far as Erle Montague goes, I saw many of his videos early on. I feel he is very physical. In our system, each and every application is taught, methodically. But you have work towards it. Can't pay a few hundred bucks over a 5-day seminar and learn it.

I don't think there are many people who know this stuff besides Master Liao and his senior students anyway. This is way beyond physical and biomechanics/alignment etc.