GrandmasterP

Hermetism or Hermeticism?

Shouldn't it be Hermeticism in the thread title?

Hermetism looks wrong.

Eremitic is to do with Hermits I do know.

• Like 1

Then that would be Eremeticism.

Our ( Chen XiYi) is an eremitic lineage.

Now leave me alone!

;)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Pagurus_bernhardus.JPG

... you are right GrmP should be hermeticism ... going back to my shell now.

• Like 3

I do think this topic area is just for hermits. You rarely see one in there, though...

I'm a hermit.

Quite a sociable one though.

Chen XiYi who started the lineage was a 'hermit' apart from when he was whooping it up at the Emperor's Palace and expense.

You can have 'Partay Hermits' too we've all seen those at parties.

:)

• Like 1

Hermits didn't practice hermeticism? Both words seem to stem from Hermes, so to me they may imply the same. But what do I know!

Hermits didn't practice hermeticism? Both words seem to stem from Hermes, so to me they may imply the same. But what do I know!

hermit (n.) Look up hermit at Dictionary.com

early 12c., "religious recluse," from Old French (h)eremite, from Late Latin ermita, from Greek eremites, literally "person of the desert," from eremia "desert, solitude," from eremos "uninhabited, empty, desolate, bereft," from PIE *ere- (2) "to separate" (cognates: Latin rete "net," Lithuanian retis "sieve"). Transferred sense of "person living in solitude" is from 1799. The hermit crab (1735) was so called for its solitary habits.

hermetic (adj.) Look up hermetic at Dictionary.com

c.1600 (implied in hermetically), "completely sealed," also (1630s) "dealing with occult science or alchemy," from Latin hermeticus, from Greek Hermes, god of science and art, among other things, identified by Neoplatonists, mystics, and alchemists with the Egyptian god Thoth as Hermes Trismegistos "Thrice-Great Hermes," who supposedly invented the process of making a glass tube airtight (a process in alchemy) using a secret seal.

• Like 1

I must be an eremitic hermeticist then ? (the desert dweller thing has become apt all of a sudden)

Many hermits can be considered as occult since they are not easily viewed when being hermitic. And so they are hermetic too, since they have closed themselves off from society. :D Heretics!

• Like 1

I must be an eremitic hermeticist then ? (the desert dweller thing has become apt all of a sudden)

Is your avatar really a picture of your new car?

Deserts are cool ( at night).

Here's a tale from one of those old eremitic " Desert Fathers"...

"A brother in Scetis committed a fault. A council was called to which abba

Moses was invited, but he refused to go to it. Then the priest sent someone to

him, saying, "Come, for everyone is waiting for you". So he got up and went.

He took a leaking jug and filled it with water and carried it with him. The

others came out to meet him and said, " what is this, father?" The old man

said to them, "My sins run out behind me, and I do not see them, and today I

am coming to judge the errors of another." When they heard that, they said no

more to the brother but forgave him."

Edited by GrandmasterP

Many hermits can be considered as occult since they are not easily viewed when being hermitic. And so they are hermetic too, since they have closed themselves off from society. :D Heretics!

"There was no point freezing your nadgers off on top of some mountain while communing with the Infinite unless you could rely on a lot of impressionable young women to come along occasionally and say ‘Gosh’."

( Terry Pratchett)

• Like 2

Deserts are cool ( at night).

Here's a tale from one of those old eremitic " Desert Fathers"...

"A brother in Scetis committed a fault. A council was called to which abba

Moses was invited, but he refused to go to it. Then the priest sent someone to

him, saying, "Come, for everyone is waiting for you". So he got up and went.

He took a leaking jug and filled it with water and carried it with him. The

others came out to meet him and said, " what is this, father?" The old man

said to them, "My sins run out behind me, and I do not see them, and today I

am coming to judge the errors of another." When they heard that, they said no

more to the brother but forgave him."

There you go....

Or something about removing the log from your own eye before removing the speck from another's.....

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

Is your avatar really a picture of your new car?

Car ?

No ... you must know that the camel is the 'ship of the desert' ?

• Like 1

Here is another tale from 'an old desert father'; an elderly Australian Aboriginal man, he was enlisted in a race across the desert. He had a little bag and his clothes ... that was it. Another was a survivalist who had all mod tech gadgets and survival gear and the third was some crazy American guy that had a large water tank on wheels intended to physically tow behind him while wearing a chest harness. The two white fellas got into trouble quickly, suffering heat exhaustion and dehydration.

They kept looking for the Aboriginal man and couldnt find him ... they got worried and then eventually found him asleep under a bush in the shade. When asked what he though he was doing and why was he asleep and didnt he want to win he became confused. He asked "Well, what are those other fellows doing?" When told he was shocked; "Hey ... you'd better tell them to walk at night when its cool and sleep in the daytime when its hot."

The organiser said "But, if thats your secret ... you will give it away and you might not win."

"Win ? " said the old man " Who cares about that, those fellas could really sick or even die from what they are trying to do ... you better warn them."

What do you think the result of the race was ?