Sign in to follow this  
Chairmandao

Intro...

Howdy peeps,

I've been lurking here for a bit and it's a fascinating, sometimes impassioned group with, it would appear, a wealth of knowledge and/or experience. So, I thought I'd join. And, with a dearth in available teachers or guides, or practicing Taoists, available to interested learners, I thought I'd ask a few questions.

A bit about me: I've long been active within western esotericism, through Qabbalist foundation traditions, utilising ritual and meditation. However, I have since found the western traditions lacking in certain areas, including actual physical practice beyond ritual and pathworking, actually living the way, and sharing a common gnostic concept present in some more popular forms of buddhism whereby enlightenment is deemed the transformation or escape from the mundane life which is deemed sinful, evil, fallen, generally negative! While the western concept appears to share a principle philosophy of unity of and balancing, overcoming, of the essential dualism, I find the expression as I understand it in taoism more satisfying for my personal tastes, especially envisaged through the yin and yang toward wuji (pleroma?). In addition, an enjoyment and enjoinment with nature, life, this world is what I've been missing in traditions that regard such as fallen, favouring as they do the cleverness of the cosy clouds of the mind (the self satisfied nous, philosophising and riddling in the smug way the mind likes to) to the harmony of heaven and earth as one.

Anyway, that's quite a preamble... Probably dull, incoherent and quite wrong... I await correction, lol.

Outro...

Cheers,

Ian (my real name, dunno why people are so afraid of using their names on forums, unless it's in order to create a pseudo mysticism around them through anonymity presumed or otherwise. I have no such worries, other than my ego go unchecked.)

Hello and welcome to the forum Ian.

You will now be free to post and both ask (and should you so wish) answer questions.

Before getting started however please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of the Lobby and take a look at the forum terms and rules http://thetaobums.com/topic/19575-forum-terms-rules/ This covers all you need to know to get started.

Best wishes,

Chang

Welcome to the forum Ian. Enjoy your stay at TTB.

My 2 cents, Peace

Thanks, OldChi. I feel your 2 cents doesn't account for inflation or poor economic climates and is therefore quite valuable. ;-)

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this