Mma has me concerned as I look at the logo for bellator

Bellator-logo.jpg

Oh well better just chill and practice some authentic internal kung fu not like theres a chance ill ever have to use it :rolleyes:

Two profitable things I've learnt along life's way.

1: Play poker with a guy who shares a name with a US city and you will lose. If Chicago Lou invites you to sit in.....don't!

2: No matter how excellent the purist MA player is, a skilled MMA player will kick her or his erse all round the dojo.

• Like 1

2: No matter how excellent the purist MA player is, a skilled MMA player will kick her or his erse all round the dojo.

HMMMMM not sure!

I heard john chang beat up some boxer,,,,i guess that isnt an mma fighter...but still he could prolly mess some of those folks up too

• Like 1

HMMMMM not sure!

I heard john chang beat up some boxer,,,,i guess that isnt an mma fighter...but still he could prolly mess some of those folks up too

Quite so.

Perhaps GM Chang set the boxer on fire.

:-)

• Like 2

I've heard he is like fifty million times more powerful than any boxer or MMA fighter so...

:D

• Like 1

One thing I learned from my years practicing martial arts, (over 15 years now), Is that there is very few people who can use internal martial arts in a fight. Not saying its impossible, but the current level out there is no where near the level of fighters now. I practice i liq chuan with a fantastic teacher and love the internal arts, but i see that internal arts are very very very hard to get down due to the high demand of body mechanics being cohesive and precise. It will take years of constant practice ( and I mean like hours and hours each day) just to get the movement right, then when you get that down you have to learn how to use it in a fight......not an easy task.

I find it funny when people think MMA fighter would lose to some internal guys or even street fighters (the whole no rules BS). Let me just put it this was, an MMA fighter trains all day for one purpose to become a good fighter. He spars, eats right, trains his body to make it strong (cardio, body weight training....ect) Most important of all he fights on the reg. He knows what works because he has fought and found out what does and dosen't. Its almost like saying I can beat Micheal Jordan in basketball if it was street ball (no rules..ect). Its just funny. All training is hard, very hard, and old school internal master like the Yang's, Sun Lu Tang, ect..all trained super hard, not just the forms, but the basic conditioning excersices (which are lost in most schools), to produce a strong body in order to make the movements right. They trained like MMA guys just in a different way. No one trains like that any more, and if they do those master are very hard to find.

Also on the whole John Chang thing.....I just am tired of hearing about him...its like talking about spiderman..to me he is just as fictional. I have seen the videos and read the Magus of Java, but all of that means nothing. He style of nei kung is supposed be martial oriented and yet very few of his students get past what ever dumb level system they have. Why? since he is so good why can't he impart this knowledge...at least ONE person should be able to get somewhere. But that is neither here or there, stop chasing spiderman, train hard, find out things on your own, don't just accept and believe (just as bad as being a skeptic). Find out for yourself, test it like the masters of old, then demonstarte and pass it on.

• Like 5

Those MMA players pick what works from every style hence they'll always beat a 'purist' on the day IMO.

Thing is our purist isn't all that interested in kicking erse or winning s/ he'll likely be into playing the MA as much for the cultivation as the contest aspects.

I get MAI mag every month and there's a noticeable difference between the MMA articles and interviews and the purist material.

Even the photos are different.

The MMA comes across as that bit 'angry' and the pics tend towards the 'fierce' whereas the purist styles material is a lot calmer in tone and content.

Agree with you completely on GM Chang.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

The title of this thread makes me think about how spiritual adepts know literally everything. Literally. Everything. Is. Known. By. Them. That's what an adept is.

Where are the spiritual adepts? Who knows?

...they do!

• Like 3

I can barely even remember what I did last week.

I was in constant meditation for about ten days.

I have hurt my foot, trapped a nerve, or something similar.

It's getting better.

I hope I've not done permanent damage.

I'm such an idiot.

I got a bit entangled.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 1

The title of this thread makes me think about how spiritual adepts know literally everything. Literally. Everything. Is. Known. By. Them. That's what an adept is.

...they do!

So does Sarlo.....

http://www3.telus.net/public/sarlo/Ratings.htm

Ya want a 'spiritual adept'?

Something to suit all tastes ( and budgets) over at Sarlo's Guru Rating Service.

;-)

• Like 2

...they do!

An adept in the tradition of the authentic teachings of the world is able to adapt impersonally in the context everyday ordinary situations in order to transcend the temporal realm of polluted karmic cycles of birth and death by absorbing its inherent potential thereby to remain outside the influence of creation, birth, death and change.

It has nothing to do with knowledge of everything. The knowledge of adepts is immediate, no different than your own mind.

There is nothing to know, mon ami.

Since you yourself are not an adept, it is a shame you can cloud your mind with these notions of imagined intellectual content that has nothing to do with seeing your nature, much less adapting to circumstances spontaneously based on the potential inherent in the situation itself.

You are simply mistaken, dear.

There is nothing to know. You are not missing out on any special knowledge that only adepts possess. Entry into the inconceivable is not a matter of knowledge. It is simply developing the virtue to see reality as is by a long process of self-refinement based primarily on forgetting self-reflective views of self and other.

Yours is the conceit of ignorance. Please don't grasp it so tightly. It doesn't become you at all, but after lifetimes of clinging to an ignorance such as yours, you may very well become it.

• Like 1

:rolleyes:

Of course I am not an adept...far from it, and myself and the adepts know this intimately...but I do know what I've been taught regarding the results, from a couple of different legitimate schools. I go with their teachings, and no personal offense meant, have no interest in your own. Really, I do not care to be taught by you, and I hope you can agree to disagree with me at all times. I don't have interest in debate with you.

So, legitimate schools. For instance, we could take Tibetan Buddhism and the idea of "the wisdom that knows the multiplicity of phenomena", or simply the idea that a Buddha is literally omniscient. These things are their teachings.

If I'm wrong in what I say, if teachers of various schools are lying about the result...at least it's pointing to a further destination, which helps those with integrity avoid the trap of thinking they are already accomplished, when in fact they aren't.

• Like 2

You can't know everything.

Your head isn't big enough.

But there is a store house of knowledge that can be accessed.

I don't understand.

I did all sorts last week.

But now I don't remember.

I don't care to remember.

I'm Manuel.

You can't remember everything.

The mind fills and empties.

That is its function.

• Like 1