thelerner

What do you think the forum can do to attract some quality teachers?

Er, I don't think the owner actually makes any profit... doing the math, I think he loses a bit (but is OK with that and feels it is worth it) :).

It just occurred to me that my subscription to TTBs has expired. Anyone care to join me in supporting this most excellent and awesome site? :)

http://thetaobums.com/subscriptions/

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 6

The main problem I see with this approach is finding some agreement on who are authentic and good teachers. There will always likely be a lot of difference of opinion about that here. Some teachers people have been promoting here in discussions actually seem to have a very sketchy background, and seem to be misrepresenting their real history and what they teach. Even such teacher's long term students sometimes do not know their teacher's real background. Also, there is the obvious issue that some teachers are here primarily to promote their workshops and DVDs, and they don't actually openly and freely share details about their practices here. You have to buy their DVD's and books and go to their workshops to learn details about their actual practices. Sure, teaching only in workshops is reasonable in many cases, as many practices really do need to be learned in person, but then such a teacher hanging around here to just continually promote them self and their DVDs and workshops would seem to go against the spirit of this place. Even worse when their students keep dutifully bumping up their teacher's threads which are promoting their DVDs and workshops here, using the discussion forums as ongoing free advertising and promotion for a teacher.

If a rule is enforced that posts made for the sole purpose of announcing a workshop or training course or for promoting products are kept to forum or pinned thread for that purpose, it will help keep the discussion forums free of such clutter.

Sure people should be able to point out DVDs or books or workshops in the course of a discussion where it is relevant, but if someone is obviously doing this repeatedly for the main purpose of promoting a specific teacher or their business, then that should be ruled out of line. If teachers want to come and openly share details about practices and practice methods, and details about why things are practiced in that way and what the benefits are for practicing in a certain way, etc., then that should be helpful; but, if a teacher will not openly discuss such things here and instead keep hyping them self and their products and workshops, that is an undesirable situation IMO.

A special forum created for teachers to announce them self and give details about what they teach, and to openly answer questions about what they teach, and what their specific background is and who their teachers were, etc., (rather than just hyping their workshops and DVDs and books) could be potentially useful I think, assuming you could get teachers who would be interested in doing so. People could then go to that forum and read what these teachers are teaching and to ask questions and get more details about specific practices, and what their purposes are, and that sort of thing. I have doubts about getting many teachers interested, but you never know. Most teachers are either interested in promoting them self and their business, or the ones who are truly interested in sharing knowledge are probably aware that internet forums are more about lots of people talking a lot of silliness, and few actually seriously practicing. Genuine teachers are usually more interested in students who are focused on talking less, and practicing more. :)

Edit:

I see that the 'Upcoming Events' is still there as a pinned thread in the General Discussion forum...

Edited by NotVoid
  • Like 2

New split thread to carry on the other conversation if folks want to: http://thetaobums.com/topic/34501-thread-split-way-off-topic-about-captian-marvel-and-stuff/ I put it in the pit since most of the posts are about a particular member and it didn't seem fair to him to keep it in the public section (though mods feel free to move it).

• Like 2

After reading through these posts I have learnt something revealing about myself ... so maybe some of you are teachers ;)

It is about my attitude ... I am always in the cafeteria . So many things and situations in my life can be understood now by those 6 words.

And many times people, including teachers, have not been able to communicate that to me . Perhaps it was hard to ask for more 'respect' without getting angry ... or maybe they realised they didnt really deserve it?

Its not that I am incapable of giving it ... I do reserve it for those that deserve it though. I wont give it due to some outer bullshit.

Once I started to feel intimidated during our court case in the Supreme Court ... especially when 3 wigged and robed senior government barristers were after me ... but I did a random opening of the Art of War and it was that section about people being appointed without real merit, and their position may empty aside from their outer robes, family connections or luck ... and you may be able to defeat them . - Very good advice (and true too ).

Once, my supervisor at work admonished me, "You shouldnt talk to ..... that way , he is the CEO of the company."

Me; P f f f t !

Also, once I got one of the best jobs I ever had because ​of my attitude - organising and bossing around 'important ' people that that no one else knew how to deal with ( irreverent I was called once ... reverence ??? ... pffft ! ) .

I always sorta new it ... but that turn of phrase puts things in a new light ... <bows> arigatou TTB teachers :)

I know this isnt what this conversation is about ... but I have learnt things since I have been here ... not only what I mention above, other stuff too.

• Like 1

I read a how to make crystals thing on the net the other day that instructed to mix bleach and ammonia together...

I thought everyone knows to not trust anything on the internet without checking into it... but I guess not... perhaps young teenagers don't.... or maybe brand new folks?

nunchuku lesson No. 23 . Stand in horse stance, hold one end of chukers in both hands extended out in front of body - raise both hands quickly to above the head

Personally there are 2 very well known and highly respected Taoist authors/teachers who I wanted to invite over. I never did though due to the far to many insults flying about in what seemed like most threads on the board for some time. I do feel I can invite them over now :).

Aside from the less insults, just inviting folks would work perhaps. Through keeping them around could be more difficult...

I see Dr_D doesn't post often for whatever reason (I'm guessing lack of time). The thing with experienced teachers is that they tend to be very busy... teaching people.

Yes it is right.

I haven’t been in this group yet. Yes, I am busy and also I would like to be a resource and help people on their path.

In light,

Dr. D

• Like 2