Sign in to follow this  
ChiDragon

Performed Aerobic Tu Na(吐吶) for Thirty Years

A testimony from someone who practiced Chi Kung(UMB, the Ultimate Method of Breathing).

小時候我是三天就一病的小孩,幾乎在當時什麼病都生過,體質之虛弱,稍有天候變化就感冒。長期的病弱使我變得很自卑內向、沉默寡言。直到十八歲那年,踏入師範學校,有規律生活後,身體才好轉。

I was sick every three days when I was a kid. I almost went through all kinds of illnesses. I catch a cold now and then when the weather changes due to me weak heath. The long time with the sickness and weakness had led me to have inferiority complex and introvert.

師範學校有一位吳老師,教導我做內丹功,從此我每天早上就到空曠土地上做此運動,配合自己的體操,三十年如一日,從未中斷,其方法:

There was a college professor, Mr Wu had taught me the Neidan Gong(內丹功). From then on, everyday in the last three decades, I have been doing the exercise in a vast open field. This is the method:

1﹒雙腳打開與肩同寬,將兩手空中做半拋伸展,由上往下緩緩下降。
2﹒而且緩緩大量吸入空氣,不能中斷,長長地吸,吸得越飽越好,直到飽和為止。
3﹒此飽和之氣,壓入小腹丹田之中,不能漏出,把此氣緊鎖在體內,讓血液帶著氧氣走進身體的每個細胞內。
4﹒小腹內之氧氣禁不起忍耐時,才張口緩緩放出來,放出氣體不能中斷,要放得乾乾淨淨、讓肺部完全沒有氣體為止。

This is the method:
1. Separate the feet and even with the shoulders, extent both hands outward and lower them slowly from top to bottom.
2. Then slowly breathe in a large amount of air with no break in between, long deep inhalation, the more air the better, stop until saturation has been reached.
3. Let the saturated air sink into the dan tian with no leaks and locked inside the body to let the blood carry the oxygen to every cell.
4. When the oxygen inside the abdomen is no long bearable, then open the mouth to let the gas out with no hesitation. Let it all out until you felt like that the lung is all emptied out.

如此深深長長地吸,又緩緩長長地呼,一吐一納就是最深度的呼吸法。剛做全臉會通紅昏昏,多練就不會有此現象了。我每天早上約做一小時,其中間再配上早操,來活絡筋骨,才不致單調。

Such deep and long inhalation and slow and long exhalation, Tu Na is the profound method of breathing. At the beginning, one might have the face turned red; but eventually, the problem will go away after a continuous practice. I have done this for one hour every morning including some other exercise to activate my joints and bones. So, it won't be so monotonous.

三十年來有氧吐納運動後,發現幾項效果:
(一)可以用新鮮空氣洗淨器官一地板髒了用水洗淨,內臟污穢了用新鮮空氣來洗滌。每天將新鮮空氣,灌飽到體內,可以活化細胞,增進器官功能。
(二)可以提神清腦一每天做深呼吸,精神很振作,頭腦很清晰,思維靈敏。
(三)可以防止器官老化一充足細胞的氧分,器官自然健康。
(四)可以增進食慾一有恆做運動,食慾會正常,不會有厭食偏食現象。
(五)強化心肺的功能一心肺中時常有新鮮氧氣在更替,心肺的功能就活躍有力了。
(六)比較容易安眠一睡眠對健康影響很大,做吐納後,睡眠會好些。

身體要健康,運動是不可少的,體內容納大量的新鮮氧氣,才是最好方法,也是活化細胞根本做法。

After the thirty years of aerobic Tu Na practice, I have discovered the following effects:
1. Using the fresh air as a cleansing agent to clean the internal organs. It is like cleaning a dirty floor with clean water. Breathing fresh air into the body, daily, will vitalize the body cells and enhance the function of the internal organs.
2. It can inspire to mind to a clear state for clearer thinking.
3. It can prevent the internal organs from deterioration and slow down the aging process. The internal organs will stay healthy if the body cells are provide with ample oxygen.
4. It will provide a good and normal appetite and will not be picky on the foods.
5. It invigorate the lung and the heart and enhance their normal functions.
6. It made one sleep better.

For a healthier body, it cannot be the lack of exercises. However, to allow a large capacity of fresh oxygen in the body is the best method. It is also the most fundamental method to vitalize the body cells.

Note:
Doesn't this sound familiar like Qhan Qhuang(站樁) and Chi Kung(氣功)....???

Ref: Aerobic Tu Na(吐吶)

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 3

Nice cultivation.

It does sound a bit like QiGong breathing for sure.

Maybe the effort 'red face' forcing is different to our recommendation of 'natural unforced breaths' but the general concept seems similar to what we do.

We do - in through the nose - tongue up and behind upper teeth then - out through the mouth - tongue down and behind lower teeth.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Maybe the effort 'red face' forcing is different to our recommendation of 'natural unforced breaths' but the general concept seems similar to what we do.

Yes, the "red face" was due to the unfamiliar in the deep and long breathing for most beginners.

It does sound a bit like QiGong breathing for sure.

If somebody believes this little bit is about QiGong breathing for sure, then it'd made my day. ;):)

Tu Na(吐吶) is the key to Qi Gong breathing for sure. I hope someone will get familiar with that. Edited by ChiDragon

For sure.

We start off very gentle because most people have been breathing 'wrong' for years and if they go at it full bore from the get go then they might damage their lungs at worst and for sure will have stiff and sore ribs the day after the first class.

It takes a good eight sessions over eight weeks 'building up' as a rule.

Longer for cigarette smokers.

Red faces are pretty common even then for the first few sessions.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Hi ChiDragon - that you for the post, I enjoyed it! A full hour is quite a long time for repeating one move like this. Honestly, I think a full hour of something like Cloud Hands or some other simple, repetitious movement could bring similar results. What do you think?

It's like the results people claim to get from long full-lotus sessions - they'd probably get great results with equally long ZZ sessions (or cloud hands or other movement).

Hi, soaring crane

What I had described, here, is just an emphasis on the most fundamental breathing method for Chi Kung. There are many people who practice Zhan Zhuang stand much longer than one hour. It is only a matter of testing somebody's patience.

In regarding to Cloud Hands, it is a Tai Ji form which not many people are familiar with. I do it all the time as you have suggested. It is very good to do it with limited space in a small room by moving laterally back and forth.

Please try to stay on track with Tu Na(吐吶) in this thread if you don't mind....!? Thank you!

PS....

Regardless what form of breathing one uses, it is basically the same. The goal is to get Chi sink to the dan tian(氣沈丹田). Universally, "dan tian" was understood as the "lower dan tian" in the mind of all Wu Gong practitioners without specifically has to mention it all the time.

Edited by ChiDragon

Now I know what UMB means. :D

ChiDragon, do you recommend letting someone get red-faced when practicing for such an extent?

No, you did not read what I said carefully. What I said, people will get red faced only at the beginning because they are unfamiliar to the new method, yet, due to the light-headed-ness. Are you familiar with that? If you have a good teacher, he will warn the students about that. Eventually, the problem will go away at the stage when the Chi sink to the dan tian.

Please concentrate on the main points and don't get confused with the minor examples. I am not sure that you are serious about this thread or just would like to make some sarcastic remarks about my understanding on Chi Kung. There was no need for that if you don't mind!

PS...

I do respect and expect those who respond to the thread would have some basic knowledge in all aspects with a serious manner.

PPS...

Except you, Rainbowvein. :)

Edited by ChiDragon

Please concentrate on the main points and don't get confused with the minor examples. I am not sure that you are serious about this thread or just would like to make some sarcastic remarks about my understanding on Chi Kung. There was no need for that if you don't mind!

ugh :angry:

Rainbowvein is one of the nicest, most respectful people to grace this website. She asked a valid question in a friendly tone, and you lash out her with defensive derision, revealing a hell of a lot more about yourself than any qigong techniques you care to describe. In my opinion, you owe her an apology now.

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 2

In that case. I apologize!

As I had indicated that I was not sure. I can only make an interpretation on how the remark was phrased!

Edited by ChiDragon

Yes, I think it was just a friendly smiley face.

You guys remember when Lance Armstrong got busted for blood doping with epo? Holding that inhale as in initial post does something similar to increase hematocrit and red blood cell production. An hour and red faced does seem excessive. The way to monitor for safety would be to watch heart rate and blood pressure. A little red faced might be okay but not to point of getting really dizzy. Cloud hands physiologically Is something different and also a good technique.

Natural unforced breaths will help lung capacity and keep blood oxygenated, but not so much of a "legal epo" effect. Then again probably better place to start for beginners who breath incorrectly and not very fit.

• Like 1

As I had indicated that I was not sure.

well, in those cases, maybe you shouldn't assume the worst. And you should by now know that RV is a sweetheart.

Anyway, good on you for the apology! :D

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 2

Let me make something clear, the red face only happens during when the breathing was held without any past experience in breathing. However, as soon the breath was released or exhaled, then the red face will be gone. I was assuming that most people do aware of this.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

A testimony from someone who practiced Chi Kung(UMB, the Ultimate Method of Breathing).

小時候我是三天就一病的小孩,幾乎在當時什麼病都生過,體質之虛弱,稍有天候變化就感冒。長期的病弱使我變得很自卑內向、沉默寡言。直到十八歲那年,踏入師範學校,有規律生活後,身體才好轉。

I was sick every three days when I was a kid. I almost went through all kinds of illnesses. I catch a cold now and then when the weather changes due to me weak heath. The long time with the sickness and weakness had led me to have inferiority complex and introvert.

師範學校有一位吳老師,教導我做內丹功,從此我每天早上就到空曠土地上做此運動,配合自己的體操,三十年如一日,從未中斷,其方法:

There was a college professor, Mr Wu had taught me the Neidan Gong(內丹功). From then on, everyday in the last three decades, I have been doing the exercise in a vast open field. This is the method:

1﹒雙腳打開與肩同寬,將兩手空中做半拋伸展,由上往下緩緩下降。

2﹒而且緩緩大量吸入空氣,不能中斷,長長地吸,吸得越飽越好,直到飽和為止。

3﹒此飽和之氣,壓入小腹丹田之中,不能漏出,把此氣緊鎖在體內,讓血液帶著氧氣走進身體的每個細胞內。

4﹒小腹內之氧氣禁不起忍耐時,才張口緩緩放出來,放出氣體不能中斷,要放得乾乾淨淨、讓肺部完全沒有氣體為止。

This is the method:

1. Separate the feet and even with the shoulders, extent both hands outward and lower them slowly from top to bottom.

2. Then slowly breathe in a large amount of air with no break in between, long deep inhalation, the more air the better, stop until saturation has been reached.

3. Let the saturated air sink into the dan tian with no leaks and locked inside the body to let the blood carry the oxygen to every cell.

4. When the oxygen inside the abdomen is no long bearable, then open the mouth to let the gas out with no hesitation. Let it all out until you felt like that the lung is all emptied out.

如此深深長長地吸,又緩緩長長地呼,一吐一納就是最深度的呼吸法。剛做全臉會通紅昏昏,多練就不會有此現象了。我每天早上約做一小時,其中間再配上早操,來活絡筋骨,才不致單調。

Such deep and long inhalation and slow and long exhalation, Tu Na is the profound method of breathing. At the beginning, one might have the face turned red; but eventually, the problem will go away after a continuous practice. I have done this for one hour every morning including some other exercise to activate my joints and bones. So, it won't be so monotonous.

三十年來有氧吐納運動後,發現幾項效果:

(一)可以用新鮮空氣洗淨器官一地板髒了用水洗淨,內臟污穢了用新鮮空氣來洗滌。每天將新鮮空氣,灌飽到體內,可以活化細胞,增進器官功能。

(二)可以提神清腦一每天做深呼吸,精神很振作,頭腦很清晰,思維靈敏。

(三)可以防止器官老化一充足細胞的氧分,器官自然健康。

(四)可以增進食慾一有恆做運動,食慾會正常,不會有厭食偏食現象。

(五)強化心肺的功能一心肺中時常有新鮮氧氣在更替,心肺的功能就活躍有力了。

(六)比較容易安眠一睡眠對健康影響很大,做吐納後,睡眠會好些。

身體要健康,運動是不可少的,體內容納大量的新鮮氧氣,才是最好方法,也是活化細胞根本做法。

After the thirty years of aerobic Tu Na practice, I have discovered the following effects:

1. Using the fresh air as a cleansing agent to clean the internal organs. It is like cleaning a dirty floor with clean water. Breathing fresh air into the body, daily, will vitalize the body cells and enhance the function of the internal organs.

2. It can inspire to mind to a clear state for clearer thinking.

3. It can prevent the internal organs from deterioration and slow down the aging process. The internal organs will stay healthy if the body cells are provide with ample oxygen.

4. It will provide a good and normal appetite and will not be picky on the foods.

5. It invigorate the lung and the heart and enhance their normal functions.

6. It made one sleep better.

For a healthier body, it cannot be the lack of exercises. However, to allow a large capacity of fresh oxygen in the body is the best method. It is also the most fundamental method to vitalize the body cells.

Note:

Doesn't this sound familiar like Qhan Qhuang(站樁) and Chi Kung(氣功)....???

Ref: Aerobic Tu Na(吐吶)

It is not just oxygen that we breathe, it is also nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Living things are actually chains of nitrogen cycles. A breathe should be taken as grandmaster p says through the nose and out from the mouth. The breathe should start from the lower abdomen. The lower abdomen extending out, which conversely alters the air pressure in the lungs. Then when breathing out, one should breathe through the mouth and tighten the lower abdomen, pulling in as much as possible. With such practice, which accentuates the natural breathing process, one develops breath from the lower abdomen and not superficially from only the upper neck and chest muscles that are involved with the process of breathing. This breath is the same for qi gong and martial art. I have never heard it called tui na though! Forcing things is against the way, a naturally red face after hot and sustained aerobic exercise, but not from minor relaxed hand moving and breathing, a bit worrying.

• Like 1

Tu Na(吐吶) is a classical term for "abdominal breathing" in the modern time. It is also known as "Sink Chi to the dan Tian(氣沈丹田).

• Like 1

Sounds a lot like swimming underwater, or at least the way I do it which is primarily down the bottom of the pool most of the time. I do feel quite good after that. It's indeed hard to relax under that pressure but once you get used to it your body lets go a fair bit. 这个好放松 :).

I think it's a good technique provided that it's building relaxation rather than tension (anything like this must be a good technique). This should be obvious in the presence of a teacher.

• Like 1

I learned a variation as a running technique. It seems like doing an activity like running or swimming might be better in keeping the body relaxed than being still.(from qigong teacher not track coach type breathing, never mind details will make whole thread even more confusing, still little different than others given).

Edited by zanshin

ChiD - can you describe the process of exhaling a little more in detail? Is it controlled and slowed diwn, or is it a total letting go of all tension, or is it something in between? Should it be silent? Or a big gush if expelled air?

Thx

ChiD - can you describe the process of exhaling a little more in detail? Is it controlled and slowed down, or is it a total letting go of all tension, or is it something in between? Should it be silent? Or a big gush if expelled air?

Thx

Here is how it goes.

You breathe in deep deep and long long, non stop with one smooth flow.

You exhale slow slow and long long, non stop with one smooth flow also.

In other words, you exhale at the same speed as you inhale.

At the beginning, it may be silent. At the advance level, due the air movements in the trachea, it may not be silent but may be a good thing.

However, it's easily said than done. There are not many people that can just jump into the abdominal breathing process. It takes lots of practice to get there. In the beginning, people might get light headed or red face when the breath was held instead of one smooth flow. As soon the chi is sunken to the dan tian, the breathing can be easily regulated. It makes the person feels good allover, then one does get hooked and never want to go back to the old way of breathing again. This is my own experience and testimonies of others.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

Thanks!

That's what I expected. It's very advanced practice you're describing here. A slow, slow controlled exhale after holding the breath for so long is a tough challenge. I've done this in the past but never progressed to the point where it felt effortless. But since you posted, I've been experimenting again :-)

Note to others:

This isn't like swimming under water, or breath techniques when running, or any of that stuff.

And it's only one of countless breathing techniques which can be put into qigong practice.

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

soaring crane....
Do not hold your breath at the beginning, you are not ready for that yet. You just breathe in and out slowly without holding. You may do it when you can master your breathing.

Thank you for the "note to others".

PS...
You are a scholar and a gentleman. Most of all, I've even given you credit for being a Semi-Taoist.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Exhale is harder to 'get' smooth than inhale for sure.

The fewer exhale 'spasms' the better the cultivation is progressing in the style we teach ( 8 Strands Silk Brocade).

Even now, and after many years; if I am even a bit 'tensed' anywhere then exhale can have a slight spasm or 'wave' to it at the get go.

• Like 2

I had that spasm in my stomach when aware of my breathing all my life.

It is a spot of tension, anxiety, trauma.

An obstruction to the free flow of life energies.

After my sudden, I was hollowed out.

There was no longer that spot.

My breath was free at last.

However.

The very sensitive will be aware that there remains a tension at the centre of all living things.

It is what keeps them alive.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 2

Do not hold your breath at the beginning, you are not ready for that yet. You just breathe in and out slowly without holding. You may do it when you can master your breathing.

I forgot to reply to this part.

It's not a problem for me to hold the breath for maybe five to ten seconds. I can still enjoy a smooth and relaxing exhale. But only if I'm being still. Doing this in combination with movements isn't realistic for me except as a kind of power movement.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this