Sign in to follow this  
Fer

Problems in the Visualization of the Microcosmic Orbit

I am intending to start a Qi gong practice with an emphasis on Microcosmic Orbit. But I have always faced my personal difficulty in visualizing the flow of Qi in the body. I watched a short explanation by Mantak Chia in Youtube, but I found those graphics he used saturated with symbols and a confusion on the spinning direction of the qi (vertical or horizontal ? at the Dantien).

Also the representation on my mind of this energy in motion is a kind of ordeal. I dont know if I have to see, or feel the qi as light, energy, color, a thin line, a thick line or I have just to suppose the qi is going in one or other direction even if I am unable to see the flow.

Last but not least , Is there any test on the practice to know if there might be side effects or body reactions. What is it the schedule of "signals" on the road to know I am developing the skills I am supposed to acquire ?. Is there any video or Audio-Visual aid to help in grasping or fixing the orbit imagery ?

Thank you so much for your insights,

Fer

Edited by Fer

Hi Fer,

More experienced cultivators than I will warn you (very shortly I imagine) against visualizing chi flow in the microcosmic orbit, and everywhere else for that matter. Me, I don't belong to the anti-visualization camp and believe it has it's place.

Still, I wonder if it's the best place to start. Might I suggest movement? Movement can naturally stimulate chi flow in a way that is natural and organic. You might try, for instance, learning tai chi. If you're deadset on the microcosmic orbit in particular, there are particular movement forms that stimulate that channel, no visualization required. I believe Spring Forest Chi Gong has one posted on youtube. Other people can lead you right to it if you're interested.

Another place to start is with standing which can also strongly stimulate chi flow without you consciously taking the reins and directing the show.

If you'd rather start with a sitting meditation I'd recommend the inner smile. Gently directing smiling energy to all your organs. An underrated practice that is both simple and powerful.

Liminal

• Like 2

There are sooooo many ways to go about this 'MCO' stuff.

The issue of visualization isn't that difficult - you don't need it, and it can distract you. You don't need to think of colors, or try to see anything, or even feel anything. That doesn't mean these things are inherently negative, but they can add unnecessarily to the number of things that you have to try to keep under control, and perhaps will wish to analyze.

You do need to relax, though, and don't worry, don't overthink it.

The Qi will fill the vessels without your aid. Your task lies in removing the obstacles, at which point, active MCO meditation isn't necessary at all.

But since you want to do it, and why the heck not, for beginning practice, you can try simply inhaling up the spine, and letting go and focusing on Huiyin on the exhale. That's it. It can be that simple.

Keep the tongue on the upper palate (keep it soft and 'swollen' feeling), keep huiyin very, very slightly lifted. Try doing it standing and also sitting on a chair...

Of all the books I have, I find Tom Bisio's description to be very approachable in his book 'Decoding the Dao', maybe give it a try?

• Like 1

Hi Fer,

More experienced cultivators than I will warn you (very shortly I imagine) against visualizing chi flow in the microcosmic orbit, and everywhere else for that matter. Me, I don't belong to the anti-visualization camp and believe it has it's place.

Still, I wonder if it's the best place to start. Might I suggest movement? Movement can naturally stimulate chi flow in a way that is natural and organic. You might try, for instance, learning tai chi. If you're deadset on the microcosmic orbit in particular, there are particular movement forms that stimulate that channel, no visualization required. I believe Spring Forest Chi Gong has one posted on youtube. Other people can lead you right to it if you're interested.

Another place to start is with standing which can also strongly stimulate chi flow without you consciously taking the reins and directing the show.

If you'd rather start with a sitting meditation I'd recommend the inner smile. Gently directing smiling energy to all your organs. An underrated practice that is both simple and powerful.

Liminal

I would suggest reading the above quote several times and then reading it again.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3

Nothing wrong with visualisations at all but I would suggest that it is better to be able to feel qi in your body before bothering with MCO. You could start by focusing gently on natural breathing exclusively for a while and then move the feeling of focus to part of your body ... such as the LDT. If anything starts to happen ignore it and carry on. Then experiment with moving your point of concentration to perineum, base of spine and points up spine etc. Use it to become super relaxed i.e purposefully relax on out breath. Energy should follow your mind after a while. Once you get the feel for it you can use visualisation as a kind of map to enhance what is happening naturally. This works for me ... but if it doesn't work for you ... go find a teacher and do what they say.

Standing posture is also good for feeling qi movement.

• Like 3

I would recommend the works of Robert Bruce if you want a better understanding of how to feel and move energy, especially his N.E.W. (New Energy Ways), which can be found online as a PDF.

For an uncomplicated safe way to do the MCO do the Small Universe meditation of Spring Forest Qigong, which is basically the same except you are guided through it and can call on the masters energy. You don't need to visualise in that version you only need to bring your awareness to each point in turn.

https://soundcloud.com/rolf-h-corneliussen/01-sitting-meditation-small

I like Minke DeVos's Tao Basics CD which has a good guided meditation on the mco. Its a bit visual but the line between imagining and feeling can be pretty thin. I'm doing less mco these days, but when I do, I move energy slower, taking 2 or 3 breaths to complete an orbit, versus my older maybe 2 orbits or more in a single breath cycle often both will become a connective orbit where the whole channel is flowing. Don't know if its better or worse, just a thing.

• Like 1

I like Minke DeVos's Tao Basics CD which has a good guided meditation on the mco. Its a bit visual but the line between imagining and feeling can be pretty thin. I'm doing less mco these days, but when I do, I move energy slower, taking 2 or 3 breaths to complete an orbit, versus my older maybe 2 orbits or more in a single breath cycle often both will become a connective orbit where the whole channel is flowing. Don't know if its better or worse, just a thing.

That sounds mighty quick to me. I do the lazy man's MCO taking 3/9 breaths per position ... then when open a single breath.

• Like 1

Thank you ALL from my heart for your kind answers. I was awaiting for some input in order to post my comments. I can see the different approaches according everybody's personal experience and/or theorethical density. This enriches by all means your contributions at the same time that set the focus on what should be my next step into a practice that has to take into account also my personal history. I came here both because of an eclectic spiritual and philosophical contenment in my life mostly with Zen and Taoism which set the threshold of my practice in past and present: Zazen meditation, 8 Treasures of SIlk Brocade, Chi Kung Meditations and Taoist Healing Imagery according Ken Cohen, Shuxin Pinxue Qigong and Zhan Zhuang Standing Qigong, and some exercises from Master Da Liu, all of them addressed to overcome my cardiopathy. This involves two deep heart operations, a mechanical mitral valve, and a defibrillator installed in my chest. Though I would say that at 73 I live a normal serene life, in my eating, walking and sleeping habits this cardiopathy expresses in sporadic atrial fibrillation episodes that have to be treated some times with cardioversion at the hospital. Other times i manage to stop it with the 4-7-8 breathing technique taught by Dr. Weil and with cold, iced water. Cardiologists are now trying me to start with very toxic medicines that I have refused to take, while at the same time I have increased the amount of time I give to Qigong and meditation practices, with a result in the improvement of my life quality. Still to get totally free of those medicines ( Amiodarone and Verpamil, the first cautioned by the FDA as a cause of death), I thought that I should create a powerful, strong energy supply for my heart by starting the Microcosmic Orbit Practice so that I can live for the years left a life free of poisoning medicines. The frustrating thing is that the only experience that I have had in my life in feeling the Qi energy is when I practice the Zhan Zhuang and I have this invisible ball spinning energy, attracting and rejecting like magnets, between my hands. Hope this background facts will illuminate you into a discussion of possibilities to explore. I heartily thank you again for your suggestions, advises and the interest and kindness in your contributions to this subject.

All the very best,

Fer

Edited by Fer
  • Like 2

I've spent a lot of time examining the effect of breath mechanics on the heartmind; copious emergences of energy have come from the deepest depths of stillness I could achieve. Through rote physical repetition, the subconscious patterns become reprogrammed via focused awareness in practice.

I wasnt able to start out contriving or visualizing flow either. Visualization helped with other exercises like lower dantien breathing or max's red phoenix, but MCO? It was like trying to stir the water in the bathtub with my pinky. (Before I opened it more with other methods, because now the whole "produce, call forth flow" will happen when I initiate it.)

• Like 2

IMO, very, very few actually see it (or anything) but one can more easily acquire the / a feeling as you relate with your hands.

At your age and condition, I would want a Qigong master to survey your energy and confirm it is currently moving as expected or how it is moving.

I have done it with visualization and without. But the method of visualization is not attempting to 'see' it, just to lead it. After filling the LDT and compressing the energy to the size of a pearl, I then use that 'visual' to travel through the MCO. Eventually I will feel the Qi following (or at one with it).

If someone does well with visualization then it may come easier but I might actually recommend doing up to an hour of Qigong with movement and then do laying down meditation at the end. I have found that there is nothing to lead/follow and you will actually feel it throughout your body moving everywhere.

• Like 2

It is so helpful to know some approximation of where you are on this road!

I will try to find some video or make some video of specific heart related Qi Gong exercises.

Are you aware of the one where when standing, you take the tip of each thumb and rub it from the base of each finger out to the tip, starting with the little finger? Try to do this with some pressure and for at least 36 repetitions and preferably to 108 (though your hand will probably cramp long before you get there at least initially).

If you do this for a month everyday you will have significant results on all heart related issues.

Because you have disrupted pathways, I would recommend not directing your energies with specific routing unless you are quit advanced - in which case you would probably not be asking the questions you are. Movements with breathing will take care of rebalancing in a natural and healthy way with a more balanced approach to equilibrium.

Do you have access to a good Qi gong teacher - perhaps a medical Qi Gong healer / MD ? (Possibly one over the phone)

Assuming you have made good dietary choices - vegan would be the best choice - and if you add the movements for 1 hour a day ( preferably in the morning) you should feel like a new man in only a few weeks. After that your choices with regard to visualization will probably be well tempered by an entirely different cadence.

If this sounds at all a bit drastic - try it for 5 days in a row - just 5 days.

By the way - recommended warm ups prior to the movements are a key to success (often overlooked or cast aside) regardless of age.

The inner smiling technique is very powerful - so is a general showering of energy with no effort. In all of this, effort is the sign post of a beginner - your body is not a whipping post - it is the vessel of your intuition - and your intuition is revealed to a friendly companion.

By day three of a five day trial as proposed you will have a great deal more time with yourself in the present.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 6

Are you aware of the one where when standing, you take the tip of each thumb and rub it from the base of each finger out to the tip, starting with the little finger? Try to do this with some pressure and for at least 36 repetitions and preferably to 108 .

awesome, thanks!! :)

good for feet too, but a little tough to do when standing :D

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 1

That sounds mighty quick to me. I do the lazy man's MCO taking 3/9 breaths per position ... then when open a single breath.

So at each 'point' you stay for 3 to 9 breaths before moving on. Right. I started with and did it fast for so long, its been harder to slow it down.

Here's a question for anyone. Once you 'let it go', is it still a flowing point, ie not a raft moving along a stream, but the stream itself? Also, does anyone twist it?

Spotless,

Thanks for the finger technique. Just tried it and could feel tension leaving my body. Each finger felt different, I'm assuming because of the different meridians involved. Very nice.

Liminal

• Like 1

So at each 'point' you stay for 3 to 9 breaths before moving on. Right. I started with and did it fast for so long, its been harder to slow it down.

Here's a question for anyone. Once you 'let it go', is it still a flowing point, ie not a raft moving along a stream, but the stream itself? Also, does anyone twist it?

No one taught me to do this ... but I like natural unforced methods. It builds up a kind of pressure which then shifts any blockages ... by the time your back at the LDT every things flowing nice and you can just 'let it go'

What do you mean by twisting? Reverse flow?

• Like 1

What do you mean by twisting? Reverse flow?

I don't know.. kinda corkscrewing on the way up the spine.

• Like 1

Woah! I'll try it.

'Schlängeln' (snaking), yes. It happens automatically.

If you slow it down, it'll reveal itself as microcircles, on the border between the physical and the energetic, slowly ascending the spine. To do it with intention, start at Weilu, go up to the Atlas and from there into the Niwan, then down the Zhongding to Huiyin. But this goes way beyond the OP.

Edited by soaring crane

Thank you once more to all who have stopped here to give me their ideas, advises and bibliographical support. Thank you very much indeed.!!

Your most important question: Where am I in this road ? Let me say that I am aware of the level of my personal evolution and the limitations I have in deepening or concentrating in a discipline full time, though I do meditate every day. I have attended various 9,10, 11 days retreats at Zen centers in Usa.

If there is an instructions video to take care of my heart please tell me how can I order it and if it is possible to have periodical check ups through Skype on my learning process.

As I live in the coutryside, Helsinki is 3 hours away from here so it is not easy for me to have close a personal trainer, there is not any one around, so the practices i described yesterday are based on DVDs and Youtube only. I have never had a direct personal contact with any teacher to correct or improve my stances.

The mind plays unpredictable games and surprisingly last night after I read your technique to apeace or nurture the cardiac system, I developped an atrial fibrillation which happily lasted for a couple of hours period during which I did the rubbing technique and the heart beating chaos stopped. I did it 36 times in every finger. It was about three months I did not have any relapse. I have been applying the rubbing massage intermintently today and now I feel very tired, but no psymtoms so far of a new atrial fibrillation. It is something extraordinary I have this atrial fibrillation last night because then I could prove the results of the firgers rubbing.

I am sorry to say my diet is not as vegan though I do discriminate about what to eat keeping in mind the complexities in my heart condition. I will have to make changes if I want to stay here some time longer.

I do the Eight Treasures of Silk Brocade as a warming before doing the qi gongs and the Zhan Zhuan. I give my work out obout 3 hours a day including meditation.

Please tell me how can I cover for the expenses of the video, i will be very happy to send the payment to you or make a donation in your name,

A big Hug and thank yu for caring so generously about me,,

Fer

• Like 4

In that case, obtain a full length mirror, it will help you correct your stances if they need it. Even simple stuff like noticing one shoulder is a little higher than the other can have surprising energetic effects wen corrected. :) Even done any laogung (palm) breathing?

• Like 3

A big Hug and thank yu for caring so generously about me,,
Fer

Fer - if you're interested, I could write instructions for a pretty simple qigong movement specifically for the heart, and a partner exercise for the small intestine (the partner organ/meridian of the heart).

Also, heart-specific walking qigong.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this