寒月 Hanyue

Warrior Guards the Mountain

Well, I did a search for the title, and it came back with nothing, I did one for Serge Augier and it also came back with nothing, so I did one for Alex , and it gave only two hits, one being my own post from the other day. I'm a little surprised,

So...

Warrior Guards the Mountain

warrior_guards.jpg

http://www.singingdragon.com/catalogue/9781848191242

Quite simply, this book from Alex Kozma is awesome!

It takes a smiliar 'interview' format to Jess O'Brien's great book Neijia Quan, although the editing in WGM means the feel of an interview is often more subtle.

It is kind of a sequal to Alex's early 1990's book 'Esoteric Warriors'

9781874250951.jpg

Alex has trained with most of the practitioners in WGM for sometime and as such they speak very openly. There is a mixed bag though it is primarily Chinese martial arts, there are also Indonesian and Japanese esoteric arts.

Some of the sections are bigger than others, but each has its own charm. The section on Ziranmen with Dr Serge Augier is worth way more than price of the book, as is the section on Bagua with Master He Jing Han.

If you missed Alex's now out of print book on Ziranmen, the section on the history and the interview with Serge appears in WGM with only some slight editing.

I have had the pleasure of meeting a couple of teachers from the book, albeit briefly. Though their depth of knowledge and skill was clear.

If that wasn't enough, Alex has taken the project further and filmed interviews with many of the practitioners and these films should be becoming available soon.

http://www.warriorguardsthemountain.com/#!films/c1yvt

For the record I am not a student of Alex's. I have spoken with him numerous times over the years, and he has always been very open, kind and cordial. I simply appreciate all that he does in regards to getting these teachers and practitioners to go more public and present often obscure and 'esoteric' aspects of these arts. There is often much bullshit espoused regarding these things, and it is refreshing when the real deal is willing to speak up.

All the best,

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 5