Kempomaster

Can the Practice of Stillness-Movement add to your Martial arts ability?

Heck! You can drive from Chicago to Springfield in one night.

(Ask me how I know...)

;)

• Like 2

At some points during the day, I get a hankering to simply do the first move of GOT I. Can be sufficient to perk oneself up, after doing for only a few moments. :)

of course I've never done s-m and dont know exactly what you're talking about, but for my own personal analogue, absolutely :)

I have a few questions wrt GoT:

1. Does GoT work on specific energies (like Peng, Lu, Ji, An etc) or does it just work on clearing the meridians so Qi can flow better?
  2. Also, does GoT need "initiation" by the Master, in that, the Master will have to "ignite" the internal cooker/oven and then student practices daily to first keep the "fire" burning and eventually increase intensity of the fire?
  3. How does GoT treat Sky and Earth energy? In that is the focus on bringing the Sky energy down through the CP and Earth through the K1 points and then balanced in the Lower Dan Tien?
  4. Is the energetics an internal, meridian oriented one, or is it an external energy-ball/field oriented one? If so, what does one learn first?

I know these are too many questions and probably are stupid and dumb. But I'd greatly appreciate YaMu or one of his other students here answering them.

Best,

Dwai

Dwai,

Even though Ya Mu has answered already I'm going to throw in my coupla penneth.

The 'subtitle' of GoT 1 is "vibratory acts of power". I personally view the practice as a shamanic qigong.

1. The 'jins' of taiji (that are also in many regards present in bagua, xingyi etc) such as peng, liu, an etc are in my understanding movements of qi that manfest as physical power, qi to jin.

To develop this the focus is primarily upon the neiqi (inner qi) and on the xing (form/shape). Though of course one may develop and later work with an awareness of the qi immediately surrounding yourself.

In GoT, the emphasis is on aligning with patterns and movement or vibrations of qi, as heaven and earth qi interact around and through us. The 'inner' aspect, is stillness-movement neigong so there is no yunqi (directing/moving qi) about along channels etc.

I couldn't at this stage say GoT alone does not lead to developing peng, liu, an etc, however if it does I would say it is a happy side effect. In that it isn't what it is about. On the other hand, if you have learned taijiquan and have developed this 'jin', then GoT will certainly amp up the energetics and that will of course support the taijiquan practice.

2. Ya Mu says anyone can begin even with just the dvd.

3. Yes GoT works with heaven and earth qi, but it is not so specific as other qigong in pulling heaven into baihui or earth into yongquan.

The weird thing is that really, you get out of the way (harder than you think (or I think anyhow)) and much of this happens on its own. You simply become aware of the fact the qi was moving through you all the time, and so on.

4. Kinda answered this already. For me I made the mistake initially of treating it as a 'feel the neiqi' practice. To deal with that I had to emphasis the awareness of the waiqi (external qi), however thesedays I consider it to be a 'blurr the lines of neiqi-waiqi' practice, and becomes aware of the patterns/movements between heaven and earth.

It's like the currents and eddies and swells of the ocean. I mean Ya Mu said it all along, 'sea of light' :)

All the best,

• Like 1

Very motivating, kenpomaster.

Although I have no experience in internal martial arts system. In my mind, the moves bears some resemblences to martial arts moves. Although the details of the moves are very different.

The problem I had right bow is limited space to practise GOT. As now I'm not in my home and the room I'm staying are quite small. I do the moves but can only moves smaller as the space permit.

I have always had good control.

Hey Kempomaster I was wondering if you could elaborate on the term "good control". Perhaps this is a bit obvious for others but I feel I could use some clarification. Is control related purely to the Physical, Emotional, Mental, Managing Intent/Awareness.....etc....? What areas of control are most important in this regard?

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

Very motivating, kenpomaster.

Although I have no experience in internal martial arts system. In my mind, the moves bears some resemblences to martial arts moves. Although the details of the moves are very different.

The problem I had right bow is limited space to practise GOT. As now I'm not in my home and the room I'm staying are quite small. I do the moves but can only moves smaller as the space permit.

I often share that space constraint, too. GOT I, especially, can get really big and practicing it in a hotel room, apartment or office can be difficult. Resetting your starting point or adjusting your orientation for different moves can be helpful. Outdoor practice is ideal if you have a good & secluded spot but with winter rapidly approaching in the northern hemisphere (and with a particularly rainy Summer this year), that is sometimes easier said than done, too.

I found that practicing outside once in a while (and allowing really big movements) makes it much easier to accommodate the smaller spaces because you can "remember" the more expansive movements. Wide open spaces are still much better, though...

I just want to point out with the yin/yang discussion, this system works with and gives the practitioner the ability to pull in and unite yin and yang chi.

Edited by JohnC
  • Like 1

I just want to point out with the yin/yang discussion, this system works with and gives the practitioner the ability to pull in and unite yin and yang chi.

The system works with what it defines as yin energy.

They believe this energy can be felt, and can be absorbed while not in meditation, ungrounded.

The energy mo pai defines as yin energy does not match these criteria, and it would be literally impossible for them to be speaking of the same thing.

They may have good intentions but don't be misled, they do not work with what mo pai calls yin energy.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Fortunately, this thread isn't about that system which shall not be named.

• Like 9

Does anyone know, when we talk about heaven and earth chi and yin and yang energy in the Stillness-Movement system, are those the same or parallel concepts? Is there any difference between earth chi and yin energy or yang chi and heaven energy, as far as Stillness-Movement is concerned?

Try not to get too caught up in the terminology or in trying to define things. That is an intellectual distraction, I think. Instead, let your practice lead to personal experience of the Light and, through that experience, to an understanding beyond words. Frequencies, colors, flavors, whatever -- lots of variations. To answer your question, though, I believe the words "yin" and "earth" can be considered synonymous for our purposes, and likewise for "yang" and "heaven." I'll defer to those more knowledgeable should anyone wish to correct or expand upon this.

There's a dulcimer-maker's shop in town here (seriously. It's right downtown on the main drag, next door to the yarn shop) which has a sign on the wall. A quote by an old local which says something like, "There's no notes on a dulcimer, you just play it."

• Like 5

Does anyone know, when we talk about heaven and earth chi and yin and yang energy in the Stillness-Movement system, are those the same or parallel concepts? Is there any difference between earth chi and yin energy or yang chi and heaven energy, as far as Stillness-Movement is concerned?

Good question.

John

Edited by JohnC

I found some of the circular movements in GoT were close to moves we'd practice in Ki-Aikido. Very 'tenkan'-ish <entering and turn Aikido term> circles. In various practices I'd gotten a good feeling for relaxation and extension, but GoT exercises gave an unusual view on <I'm probably not describing this well> sort of resting your hand or foot firmly on the air. You can't stand on a column of air, but after the course I got a better sense of being able to use an invisible column of air to balance on. For example some of the 'bird frolick' chi gung have you standing on one leg. Which I usually did wobbly. The insight on balance helped me do such forms easier.

• Like 2

Try not to get too caught up in the terminology or in trying to define things. That is an intellectual distraction, I think. Instead, let your practice lead to personal experience of the Light and, through that experience, to an understanding beyond words. Frequencies, colors, flavors, whatever -- lots of variations. To answer your question, though, I believe the words "yin" and "earth" can be considered synonymous for our purposes, and likewise for "yang" and "heaven." I'll defer to those more knowledgeable should anyone wish to correct or expand upon this.

There's a dulcimer-maker's shop in town here (seriously. It's right downtown on the main drag, next door to the yarn shop) which has a sign on the wall. A quote by an old local which says something like, "There's no notes on a dulcimer, you just play it."

Good idea. Posting from phone so short reply.

We do work with both yin and yang qi.

Balance leads to growth. Real easy to feel differences in yin/yang but possibly not for a beginner.

No difference between other systems and Stillness movement basic definition of Heaven and Earth.

Sitting connected to Earth is good beginners method. GOT methods more advanced in that they become dynamic instead of static, but simple to do. Always strive for heaven/earth balance. Best to just DO and forget these definitions.

• Like 6

Dwai,

Even though Ya Mu has answered already I'm going to throw in my coupla penneth.

The 'subtitle' of GoT 1 is "vibratory acts of power". I personally view the practice as a shamanic qigong.

1. The 'jins' of taiji (that are also in many regards present in bagua, xingyi etc) such as peng, liu, an etc are in my understanding movements of qi that manfest as physical power, qi to jin.

To develop this the focus is primarily upon the neiqi (inner qi) and on the xing (form/shape). Though of course one may develop and later work with an awareness of the qi immediately surrounding yourself.

In GoT, the emphasis is on aligning with patterns and movement or vibrations of qi, as heaven and earth qi interact around and through us. The 'inner' aspect, is stillness-movement neigong so there is no yunqi (directing/moving qi) about along channels etc.

I couldn't at this stage say GoT alone does not lead to developing peng, liu, an etc, however if it does I would say it is a happy side effect. In that it isn't what it is about. On the other hand, if you have learned taijiquan and have developed this 'jin', then GoT will certainly amp up the energetics and that will of course support the taijiquan practice.

2. Ya Mu says anyone can begin even with just the dvd.

3. Yes GoT works with heaven and earth qi, but it is not so specific as other qigong in pulling heaven into baihui or earth into yongquan.

The weird thing is that really, you get out of the way (harder than you think (or I think anyhow)) and much of this happens on its own. You simply become aware of the fact the qi was moving through you all the time, and so on.

4. Kinda answered this already. For me I made the mistake initially of treating it as a 'feel the neiqi' practice. To deal with that I had to emphasis the awareness of the waiqi (external qi), however thesedays I consider it to be a 'blurr the lines of neiqi-waiqi' practice, and becomes aware of the patterns/movements between heaven and earth.

It's like the currents and eddies and swells of the ocean. I mean Ya Mu said it all along, 'sea of light' :)

All the best,

Thanks Snowmonki

Its interesting that we do the same - "try and get out of our way" with Temple Style Taiji practice as well. I'm not stating this as a way to state one is better than the other. I'm sure GoT is extremely effective.

Its just interesting that the more I read about GoT it seems eerily similar to Temple Style, especially the free flowing style. We do that often, where we connect with the energy outside "our" bodies (dare I say Dao) and just try to harmonize with it. And eventually we get to a point where we don't exist anymore...just ebbing and flowing with the energy/universe/Dao.

This I would consider more "in-door" teachings of Temple Style, where we practice seated meditation, standing meditation (sometimes for a good hour or so), as a totally different dimension to the Taiji Chuan part of the system.

• Like 6

I found this excerpt on a blog regarding Silat and felt it was an important point that should be shared:

"In mysticism there is a belief that you tend to attract that which your resonate with internally. So its best to resonate with things that keep you out of trouble and keep you in balance. The more you train to fight and defend yourself the more you should also study how to heal and be a better person." Santiago Dobles

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 4

Good question.

John

Heres a cool explanation Michael blogged about earth chi as seen from the stillness movement perspective:

http://qigongamerica.blogspot.com/

• Like 2

I'm new to SMQ but have been practicing an hour daily. I was wondering if anyone experiences any emotional or mental upheaval doing this system?? It seems I will feel fine and do it a couple of days and then feel generally crappy and want to take a day off... Any advice or ideas?

I'm new to SMQ but have been practicing an hour daily. I was wondering if anyone experiences any emotional or mental upheaval doing this system?? It seems I will feel fine and do it a couple of days and then feel generally crappy and want to take a day off... Any advice or ideas?

Lots of discovery and opening and releasing going on, wu_wei. This is a natural part of the system (as with many other systems) and isn't something to worry about. It also isn't something that you need to "power through." Always follow your instincts. If you feel like taking a day off, that's fine! Or just do 20 minutes one day instead of an hour. Whatever feels right.

Resume your practice the next day (or whenever) and don't pay too much attention to physical sensations as they are generally just a distraction (other than pain, of course! Nothing in the system should cause pain so this would be a sign that you are doing a movement incorrectly (like torqueing your knees, for instance -- don't do that!)) Soon, you should fine that emotional baggage (as well as physical issues) start to drop away.

Are you doing just the Gift of Tao movements or also the sitting/standing Stillness-Movement? Have you been to a workshop? (Screen names make it hard to recognize fellow students sometimes...)

:)

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

Lots of discovery and opening and releasing going on, wu_wei. This is a natural part of the system (as with many other systems) and isn't something to worry about. It also isn't something that you need to "power through." Always follow your instincts. If you feel like taking a day off, that's fine! Or just do 20 minutes one day instead of an hour. Whatever feels right.

Resume your practice the next day (or whenever) and don't pay too much attention to physical sensations as they are generally just a distraction (other than pain, of course! Nothing in the system should cause pain so this would be a sign that you are doing a movement incorrectly (like torqueing your knees, for instance -- don't do that!)) Soon, you should fine that emotional baggage (as well as physical issues) start to drop away.

Are you doing just the Gift of Tao movements or also the sitting/standing Stillness-Movement? Have you been to a workshop? (Screen names make it hard to recognize fellow students sometimes...)

:)

Just the sitting standing SMQ. Just ordered GOT DVD... I haven't been to a workshop but want to go soon. I've just pieced together the practice from what I read in Michael's book...

I do have some physical pain symptoms that seem like fascial unraveling..... also sometimes I move very little... Not sure if I'm doing it "right" but something is happening....

Thanks Brian for your reply.

Stillness-movement. Makes me think of doing any fast physical work, when things move so fast there there isn't any time, and it isn't necessary, to think of everything at the moment it's already in the process of happening. The movement seems to "take orbit" and be "of itself," rather than thought out so long as the center balance is maintained - with the center "balanced" before the movement moves from it, thoughts are movement, movement is thought. How do you explain it more than that - I don't know...

This, to me, is the stillness-movement that I know of and practice. The transmission I'm guessing would make this more, well.. guided.. turn up the volume on the balance frequency..... I guess I'll know when I know :closedeyes: ....

I don't know about Stillness Movement, but due to my experience with my own healing nei kung system, I feel that any real nei kung system will add greatly to a person's martial art abilities.

• Like 3