Brian

Brian's Inverse-Square Rule for Thread Value Probability as a Function of Pages

Just SWAG, mind you, and the exponential may actually be higher, but it is my observation that the likelihood of finding value in a typical discussion thread (thereby excluding threads on what people are listening to, cool pictures, haikus, etc.) appears to be roughly:

pv=Tf/N2,

,where:
pv=probability of finding value in posts on a given page,
Tf= "the troll factor,"
and N equals the page number within a thread.

Looks kinda like this:

post-54451-0-42367000-1379948160_thumb.jpg

:D

• Like 6

I think there needs to be a modifier on N2 where if Tf surpasses a coefficient threshold, then the equation breaks and The Pit results :lol:

• Like 1

I'd agree!

Unless the OP is just a sock puppet of someone else.

Not just these forums either, that whole the more pages the thread the more downhill it goes thing is pretty comment internetwide.

• Like 1

The insinuation is offensive but I understand from whence it comes so I'll pretend it was merely superficial...

I wasn't singling out TTB-- it seems fairly universal.

There's a similar rule related to the duration of a business meeting, BTW!

• Like 1

I have on occasion gone to other forums to see what was shaking. The amount of trolling, derailing,and blatant disrespect blew my mind.....after observing other forums I actually feel we have it pretty easy over here on TTB in comparison.

My 2 cents. Peace

Edited by OldChi

I actually see less trolling on other forums I look at (aside from RSF that is lolol), but those might have paid staff?

Hmmm.....maybe I just walked down a dark internet alley. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

I will refrain from commenting and get back to composing my simplistic haikus, rather than try to figure out these formulas! :lol:

I :heart: your haikus... See you there! :-D

Just SWAG, mind you, and the exponential may actually be higher, but it is my observation that the likelihood of finding value in a typical discussion thread (thereby excluding threads on what people are listening to, cool pictures, haikus, etc.) appears to be roughly:

pv=Tf/N2,

,where:

pv=probability of finding value in posts on a given page,

Tf= "the troll factor,"

and N equals the page number within a thread.

Looks kinda like this:

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

:D

F'n T(rolls) - the new math? :D

• Like 1

sometimes that formula works but there is always this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorems

and

http://thetaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/page-114?hl=%2Bflying+%2Bphoenix#entry425722

and that thread had its fair share of trolling and i just used it as a prime example, there are many others(often older threads)

to be a tao bums taoist you must know how to sift thru the chaff

even on some of the most outlandishly trolling threads there can be found gem nuggets

even sometimes when someone does post a gem nugget, then certain trolls try to buryit//hide it

by rapid fire troll back and forth posts ignoring the gem and perhaps with the intent to hide the gems?

i have wondered about this for awhile

• Like 2