silent thunder

Bias against New Age

"*The new age*" is hardly new, and is aptly compared thusly:

Monotheism: one god, one religion.

Polytheism: many gods, one religion.

Atheism: no gods, no religions

*Americanism: any gods, any religions*

Omnitheism: every god, every religion

Which of those actually define god before answering the question?

There is nothing wrong with the love jesus teaches, and the golden rule which is a part of many teachings, so why disregard it?

New Age views Jesus as an ascended master.

IMO, the new age is a combination of all religious teachings that are sound.

Not really. It has unique doctrines like planning your life before living, spirit guides, channeling etc.

Let me make this more clear...

There is a class of deviant trickster spirits that pretend to be people's spirit guides.

How did you keep out the mental ward? If I told people that they would probably lock me up.

Edited by teknix

And what about New Agers who believe they are in constant contact with their spirit guides?

How are they not in the mental ward?

Let me make this more clear...

There is a class of deviant trickster spirits that pretend to be people's spirit guides.

The Tibetans use spirit guides for their practices and for channelling etc, so its ok for them but if Westerners do it from their traditions they are evil trickster spirits? just sounds like hypocricy to me

• Like 1

The Tibetans use spirit guides for their practices and for channelling etc, so its ok for them but if Westerners do it from their traditions they are evil trickster spirits? just sounds like hypocricy to me

I was trying to figure out what you are referring to.

There are channeled oracles, but they are very clearly viewed as mundane and unreliable spirits.

Doesnt the dalai lama say " I do not care for fanciful philosophies, love and kindness is my religion"

Something like this.

Doesnt the dalai lama say " I do not care for fanciful philosophies, love and kindness is my religion"

Something like this.

Obviously you haven't read HH Dalai Lama's books or listened to his lectures. Hes a hardcore Buddhist through and through.

The Tibetans use spirit guides for their practices and for channelling etc

No they don't. HH Dalai Lama consults the Neichung oracle, which channels the mundane gyalpo Pehar which was subjugated by Padmasambhava.

so its ok for them but if Westerners do it from their traditions they are evil trickster spirits? just sounds like hypocricy to me

It sound like hypocrisy, because you are just making shit up.

Obviously you haven't read HH Dalai Lama's books or listened to his lectures. Hes a hardcore Buddhist through and through.

While this may be true, I read a lot of stuff (wether or not it is true, according to various peoples perceptions of who can omit truth or not) saying that it is his goals to unite religions and have less seperation between people and their religions, something like this, Im pretty sure this was him.

Anyways, yes I also get annoyed by some "new agers" so I can understand where one is coming from, but there are some people who legitamately have insight and wisdom etc and their practices are pretty much identical to others in other traditions.

I have met plenty of tibetan buddhists my own age, and while they have some spiritual stuff which is much more admirable than what I do, I do not class them as a different species because I could say the same in reverse (oh how I disdain comparing spirituality)

Anyone who calls themselves a buddhist has a lot to learn about buddhism.

What a joke. Are you even a Buddhist? Please don't lecture other people.

While this may be true, I read a lot of stuff

Obviously you haven't read "a lot of stuff" of HH Dalai Lama.

His books are full of Buddhist texts, philosophies, authors etc.

Edited by alwayson

I was trying to figure out what you are referring to.

There are channeled oracles, but they are very clearly viewed as mundane and unreliable spirits.

There is a history of people being given Dharma teachings through spirits. The Dalai Lama used a spirit guide to avoid the Chinese invading armies when he escaped Tibet and the government in exile consults oracles regularly to help formulate policy.

So its ok for someone like Dudjom Lingpa to teach from spirit instruction but if a Westerner writes a book like "A Course in Miracles" its somehow not as authentic?

You should read a course in miracles if you think that all Western spirits are somehow evil or trickster, it is a really remarkable "New Age" channeled book in many ways and has helped many people

What a joke. Are you even a Buddhist? Please don't lecture other people.

Isn't it hilarious? Of course I'm not, sif you need to ask, rofl.

Edited by teknix

It sound like hypocrisy, because you are just making shit up.

So what is all the fuss about Shugden then if Tibetan spirits are of no concern to them, you criticise Westerns for being in touch with spirit guides when Tibetans are obsessed with them, every school and area has its own spirit protector.

There is a history of people being given Dharma teachings through spirits.

No there isn't.

The Dalai Lama used a spirit guide to avoid the Chinese invading armies when he escaped Tibet and the government in exile consults oracles regularly to help formulate policy.

They use the Neichung oracle, which is a mundane gyalpo subjugated by Padmasambhava, as only one source of information. The Dalai Lama clearly says this in a youtube video. And Tibetans don't channel spirit guides for their practice as you were saying.

So its ok for someone like Dudjom Lingpa to teach from spirit instruction but if a Westerner writes a book like "A Course in Miracles" its somehow not as authentic?

You are completely clueless.

I remember someone stating, 'How do you expect to gain enlightenment from a spirit by taking advice, when it is not even enlightened itself?'

So what is all the fuss about Shugden then if Tibetan spirits are of no concern to them, you criticise Westerns for being in touch with spirit guides when Tibetans are obsessed with them, every school and area has its own spirit protector.

The whole thing with Shugden, is that Shugden is a mundane deviant trickster spirit.