Wu Ming Jen

Why do females progress faster on the way

Synchronistically this article just came up on my Twitter which says that there isn't actually any scientific evidence that women are more compassionate than men http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/feeling-it/201306/are-women-really-more-compassionate, under brain scans there was the same level of compassion elicited from viewing sad images for both sexes, but the way the compassion was expressed was different. But what they have found is that physiologically women have a thicker corpus callosum so both halves of their brain communicate better, but it is not so significant that a neuroscientist can easily tell the difference. But what they seem to suggest is that because of neuroplasticity it is not as significant what sex you are but rather more significant how you have been conditioned and how you use your brain which determines how it reacts.

• Like 1

as I understand it, it is time for women to take over the world. in doing so they will be challenged to make a better job of it than has been done by men, and to evolve consciousness so that feminine energy can heal, nurture and harmonise the world, and that includes healing male energy which has suffered from being so raw and unevolved, too.

male spirituality focusing on emptiness, and female spiritually being in the domain of relatedness, means that relations will be healed under the new era. this will be of benefit of course for every sentient being and peace will flourish between female and male, widely and deeply. all children will benefit and the cult of youth will fade as the realisation of sagacity comes rising to consciousness. this means the great pressure on youth will be lifted and youth can lightly be what it is, with no expectation to lead prematurely, or to fake adulthood before readiness is achieved.

Not to say it wont be a rocky road on the journey.

Would you mind saying where that understanding comes from?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Women have an energetic superiority over men.

An example of this is the female ability to deal with colds and flu. Whilst the female is able to carry on regardless the male is bowled over. It is popular to talk of “manflu” and describe men as wimps but the fact is that men simply cannot not cope with these things as well as women.

Another example of this energetic superiority is reiki. The number of women drawn to this healing art is far greater than men. We could say that this is due to the nurturing, healing aspect of the female but could it not simply be down to the fact that women have a greater ability to express energy.

My own opinion in this matter is that whilst the female has this natural ability and initial advantage, men can cultivate equal abilities.

As regards female abilities in Internal Martial arts and the expression of energy for martial purpose. I would not hesitate to say that women are the equal of men in this respect. The number of men interested in and practising in this area may be greater but the females abilities are no less.

• Like 1

Very interesting discussion. I think Ken Wilber makes a valuable contribution in this 7 min video explaining fundamental differences between practices designed by men and the things some highly advanced women do:

• Like 3

Perhaps 20-25 years ago these differences were more drastic.

Now, however, things have changed. What I have seen is a gradual equalizing of the male/female for males and a gradual equalizing of the male/female for females. Where once females had the capacity but were unlikely to follow through they are now following through (action). Where once males would follow through but based on rote versus intuition, now this has changed where the intuitive factor is much more balanced in males. Of course there is always the exception here but I am speaking in a general overall sense.

I know that in the Stillness-Movement system I have very powerful female students. Also, there are about an equal number of very powerful male students. And yes, I have both male and female gay students who are very powerful.

Perhaps SEEing is still slightly balanced more toward the female but this has also changed in the last 15 years. Once I mostly only saw female SEEers but now a goodly number of males. Most of these didn't know they had this talent until they started practicing Stillness-Movement. It usually manifests anywhere from 24 hrs to 10 years of practice.

And the comment about males get colds and females don't. MOST of the Stillness-Movement students, male and female, get sick very seldom with colds and flu. Doesn't mean neither can get it, but in general the occurrence goes down drastically, with many reporting not having colds or flu in 20 years or more duration.

I do not see faster progression in females versus males in our system. Both have potential for mastery in an equal period of time.

• Like 8

How does one go about mastering their intuition and emotional/energetic sensitivity?

Step 1 is starting a new thread and step 2 is....

• Like 1

Females are awesome.

My mom always knows something is up before I even talk to her.

Moms are awesome.

Females are child bearing. I mean they bake the cake of life in the oven of awesomeness. I'm serious. Men and women have their places but I know that I'm not going to grow a baby anytime soon. I know my batter is an important and necessary component but as far as I'm concerned a woman is IT. They are naturals

• Like 2

Both genders are awesome. The problem is that when you're a man and you're stuck in your discriminating mind, you tend to have something against women. Same with females too. So it becomes a pride thing. haha.

I agree, both are awesome. Yin compliments yang and yang compliments yin.

• Like 2

Oye Women,

Hurry Up & take over the World will ya ....

you couldn't make a worse mess of it than us Men !!!!

Basher

• Like 1

Why do females progress faster on the way (?)

They don't. But progression is by tradition regarded to be feminine in contrast to spontaneity as the masculine counterpart. What tradition can base itself on spontaneity? [it] is a direct threat to the establishment!

Imagine the spiral form of motion (by many recognized to be an expression of femininity) - what in fact is it climbing, as it swirls around? - You see it? - The guidance of a present masculinity.

So the question, or the tradition from where it arrives - is wrong.

Why does most people only care about their feminine half only to get stuck in it, and never really progress (become it) to realize the full blossoming nature of it, which include it's masculine counterpart? There is no masculinity without femininity, or visa versa.

- Why are people trained different, into believe in separation, from them self?

Edited by Guest

Oy Women,

Hurry Up & take over the World will ya ....

you couldn't make a worse mess of it than us Men !!!!

I for one would welcome the coming female overlords.

though I fear as usual,

Meet the new boss

same as the old boss.

• Like 1

There was a thread similar to this but opposite just recently. I think it all just comes down to conditioning and whether or not one is truly in tune with their divine nature... I imagine at least some who embark on this path have some sense of it, which is why they are attracted to tao to begin with. I also do feel the divine feminine is expanding in the world. False patriarchal conditioning is no longer working... so it's being balanced out. And yes, there are a lot of women in a linear masculine consciousness, but there are also many in recognition of this and developing their true yin. Perhaps that's all a part of creating balance.... Just a thought!

I think women might generally be equipped to be more compassionate and are also less likely to get involved with drug abuse, adrenaline-seeking behavior that men are. However, men, in my experience seem to be more likely to seek the individualism, autonomy, and inwardness that goes with intensive meditation practice. Of course these are huge generalizations. I know women who are extremely independent, tough chicas, and I know men who would make better mothers than a lot of women (minus the whole lactating thing). People are people. Yes, the set of genitals we were born with dictates our "plumbing system" and influences biochemical tendencies (testosterone and estrogen, etc.), but there are many, many more factors at play here.

It is not a contest, we are all trying the best we can in the moment - no matter what our gender or background. That doesn't mean we shouldn't set goals, but comparing totally different people is like comapring and igloo with a saxaphone. It can be done, of course, but that doesn't mean it should be done. ;)

Edited by futuredaze

But on the other hand that might be precisely what draws men towards it and gives them a lot of drive, perhaps the further away from union you assert yourself the stronger the longing and drive there is to return, the more separate you feel the stronger the force is puling you back.

Men naturally become more removed from the earth by the natural process while growing up of identifying themselves away from the mother towards the father, while women through their ability to give birth remain more connected to the cycles of life. So adult men perceive themselves as further away from union with the whole, which is why as Desmond Tutu says the male human is probably the most isolated and thus fearful of all of God's creatures and perceive themselves further removed from Gods love than anything else on the planet, so they may need spirituality more otherwise that disconnect can manifest in ways like trying to prove themselves as worthy and fighting wars etc.. So men may feel a spiritual drive to reconnect to the whole more strongly than women as they feel more disconnected, which might be part of the reason why you get so many male teachers and males who write books and male spiritual figures.

Men generally don't fight wars to "prove themselves"

I'd say men fight wars to protect their family... Wife, Children, Parents etc to secure their homeland etc

Edit: took out the rabid ranting and condensed.

I think the premise is a misconception. Faster than who? Men? Why do some men progress faster than others? Why do some men progress faster than some women? I'd say practice is the obvious answer, but the progess is all personal and percieved individually by everyone involved.

Because of female and male metaphorical imagery used in many texts and concepts i believe this "women are born closer to the way" to be a too literal interpretation. Its like saying all women are the same and all men are the same. We all know its not true. Not in the details, not in broader strokes either. We might be all similarly connected or subjective manifestations of thoughts within a single universal entity, but for all practical purposes of our lives, we're not all the same or all in the same situation. I think that would negate the concept of yin and yang if drawn far enough.

Just because some things are similar in comparison doesnt say they are exactly the same, especially considering many texts are ripe with hinting, layering, allegory and downright omission and obfuscation, both by cautious authors and paranoid authorities.

I still think a claim like "females progress faster along the way than men" needs first a half-decent scale and system to measure progress and then, a quantitative study with a very large pool of data. Problem is, how exactly would you measure progress along the way? What is progress? Does it entail a destination? Are progress and destination comparable between two people, let alone between groups?

I'd say no, but hey, maybe that is just me.

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth

Re:

-----

"I never heard of a woman capable of performing true Fajin (= transfer of condensed high frequenzy mind+chi fusion)"

-----

Ha!

Have you ever been present at a birth?

Even the most confused (by modern "educations") woman will execute some truly amazing fa-jin.

And that's just one thing, birth. And there are women in this world who really understand birth, and much more.

Makes emitting a spark from the hand, or knocking a guy over, seem quite rudimentary.

-VonKrankenhaus

On a meditative stand point the obstacle for males is the ego and the obstacle for women is the emotions.

My sense is more about the spirit/origin/way... than energetics alone.

It seems to me that women are much closer to the spiritual source; which comes about by a cosmic birth.

This life may be easier but the transition to the other half/ or next / may not...

I think this topic is totally wrong.

I don't think women progress faster on the path to oneness, but perhaps they have a head start in a certain path would be more correct. Men have different areas to develop to women, neither is more or less advanced. The headstart a woman has on her internal cultivation as you speak about it, a man is naturally less vunerable to predators for example living as a hermit, or maintaining financial independance in our current society to allow further cultivation to take place.

I agree with YaMu and think in an alternative health class, there are probably more women then men studying, and getting better results, but i would have thought more men would actually end up going out and opening up a clinic.

I know this is going to sound really sexist, but this is what i see.. at all the schools I've studied at and taught at, girls are on average much smarter than boys, but the very top of the class tends to be more often male than female. There is a difference between the sexes and they all equal out overall.

Oracles, fortune tellers and those that talk to the dead are usually female. I see more energetic healing experts that are male.

Edited by z00se