Thanks for the video cat. I thought Adyashanti looked pretty weird and unremarkable when I first saw him, but then I started to listen to what he was saying and I couldn't disagree with anything he says... ever, and he seems to reply completely spontaneously to any questions put his way and it appears that he is bringing many students into realizations too. He is probably one of the clearest teachers I have found so far on all this stuff.

• Like 3

Is it not enough to be our own teachers and to remember our own long-held wisdom?

Here Life turns about-face, toward the sun, and releases from the old thought-constructions based on the belief that Life is a sinner. Too much emphasis on that belief may have harmed, and certainly depressed. Looking too often and too long at defects may cause to become obsessed by them. A more positive and less restraining attitude is available on the Pathless Path.

• Like 5

You either recognize or you don't.

Vajrayana people consider this only step 1. Actual enlightenment is omniscient Buddhahood.

Edited by alwayson
  • Like 1

“If you prefer smoke over fire
then get up now and leave.
For I do not intend to perfume
your mind's clothing
with more sooty knowledge.

No, I have something else in mind.
Today I hold a flame in my left hand
and a sword in my right.
There will be no damage control today.

For God is in a mood
to plunder your riches and
fling you nakedly
into such breathtaking poverty
that all that will be left of you
will be a tendency to shine.

So don't just sit around this flame
choking on your mind.
For this is no campfire song
to mindlessly mantra yourself to sleep with.

Jump now into the space
between thoughts
and exit this dream
before I burn the damn place down.”
Adyashanti

• Like 4

“If you prefer smoke over fire

then get up now and leave.

For I do not intend to perfume

your mind's clothing

with more sooty knowledge.

No, I have something else in mind.

Today I hold a flame in my left hand

and a sword in my right.

There will be no damage control today.

For God is in a mood

to plunder your riches and

fling you nakedly

into such breathtaking poverty

that all that will be left of you

will be a tendency to shine.

So don't just sit around this flame

choking on your mind.

For this is no campfire song

to mindlessly mantra yourself to sleep with.

Jump now into the space

between thoughts

and exit this dream

Adyashanti

talk about ringing the bell...

I thought we were supposed to be bound by samaya.

Are you? Have you received Mahamudra teachings, or something like that?

Thanks for posting this Cat. I've only watched part 1, but he has filled in some gaps which teachers don't seem to address. So the responsibility of purging our own bad behaviors and thoughts just don't "poof" away. I've got velcro thoughts velcro acts and everywhere I turn I've made another velcro f-up, and it just gets insupportable because the inner contradictions seem to bring several levels of pain. It just gets more apparent as I continue cultivation. Before watching this video, I often wondered why the kundalini and ascension forums seem to be chock-a-block with people who had stopped working on themselves, or who's comments come from juvenile "dream world" ego, and yet also post all kinds of pithy pontificating facebook "share" type idealisms.

Jump now into the space

between thoughts

and exit this dream

Adyashanti

You know, I've never liked Adyashanti. I used to listen to his talks and even read two of his books.

Sooner or later, once you start to analyze what he says, you find that he contradicts himself, tells people erroneous things and really doesn't have a clue. He interprets the void and realizing past lives (which is not the complete path according to the Buddhists) as his claim to enlightenment. But those are just psychic adventures.

For example, in that last poem, he says to jump into the space between thoughts.. Well, there is no space between thoughts. If he thinks there is then he hasn't gone deep enough. Although coarse consciousness may seem like it has space between thoughts, as you dig deeper you discover that there are thousands of thoughts all happening at the same time. And, then, this advice that he has given in this poem contradicts his little essay about "true meditation".

I also heard a story about how he performed 'shaktipat' on one of his stonehead friends and sent him to a mental institute.

I abhor his condescending attitude and the way he responds to people who ask him questions, mostly totally missing the mark and not really benefiting anyone.

I really do wish they'd remove me from his mailing list. They don't seem to respond.

That is my opinion. Once you learn to think for yourself and gain a little experience, you might very well come to the same conclusions.

:)

TI

Sharing this fantastic Youtube upload with Adyashanti, he answers a lot of questions in his talk and is beautifully clear.

I hope you make time to listen and I hope you enjoy.

I loved the comment that a mystical experience is the highest form of a "me" experience,...LOL

• Like 1

You know, I've never liked Adyashanti. I used to listen to his talks and even read two of his books.

Sooner or later, once you start to analyze what he says, you find that he contradicts himself, tells people erroneous things and really doesn't have a clue. He interprets the void and realizing past lives (which is not the complete path according to the Buddhists) as his claim to enlightenment. But those are just psychic adventures.

I have the same impression....the first few books I looked at of his were very theistic,...but perhaps teaching is his process,...maybe he'll experience some of what he teaches. Many New Age purveyors play to there audience,...like Pema Chodron. I attended a workshop of hers, where instead of connecting the audience to Vajrayana (as it was billed), she tried to connect with the audience,...which most enjoyed. Teachers today are mostly pimps,...feeding comfort foods to their students,...and in return, their students provide them with a livelihood. A real teacher is an assassin,...showing you how to obliterate one's notion of separate self.

I abhor his condescending attitude and the way he responds to people who ask him questions, mostly totally missing the mark and not really benefiting anyone.

:)

TI

Sure,...but it's really funny. For example,...in the above youtube he says, I'm not awake, but I'm so glad to discuss the process after awaking.

Even before he says that he's not awake, one can clearly hear that he's not awake,...at least 30 times,...and contradict himself another 30 times,...and that is only 25 minutes into it.

For example,...as soon as someone starts talking about awakening to spirit, that's an easy "tell" that they are BS. Spirit is the in-breath/out-breath of duality,...attachment to spirit is attachment to duality. Once you label something a "spiritual experience," you should instantly realize that you did not have an authentic, direct experience.

He also speaks about Oneness as if he understood what he's talking about. Someone should quote this to him:

“Start knowing what you really know, and stop believing what you really don’t know. Somebody asks you. “Is there a God?” and you say, “Yes, God is.” Remember: Do you really know? If you don’t know, please don’t say that you do. Say, “I don’t know.”. . . False knowing is the enemy of true knowledge. All beliefs are false knowledge.”

You know, I've never liked Adyashanti. I used to listen to his talks and even read two of his books.Sooner or later, once you start to analyze what he says, you find that he contradicts himself, tells people erroneous things and really doesn't have a clue. He interprets the void and realizing past lives (which is not the complete path according to the Buddhists) as his claim to enlightenment. But those are just psychic adventures.For example, in that last poem, he says to jump into the space between thoughts.. Well, there is no space between thoughts. If he thinks there is then he hasn't gone deep enough. Although coarse consciousness may seem like it has space between thoughts, as you dig deeper you discover that there are thousands of thoughts all happening at the same time. And, then, this advice that he has given in this poem contradicts his little essay about "true meditation".I also heard a story about how he performed 'shaktipat' on one of his stonehead friends and sent him to a mental institute.I abhor his condescending attitude and the way he responds to people who ask him questions, mostly totally missing the mark and not really benefiting anyone.I really do wish they'd remove me from his mailing list. They don't seem to respond.That is my opinion. Once you learn to think for yourself and gain a little experience, you might very well come to the same conclusions.:)TI

I haven't heard him contradict very much, but even if he does that is not necessarily a bad thing, because the conventional truth changes all of the time and can change from person to person or even from moment to moment, so to bring different minds with different perspectives to ultimate truth you are bound to contradict if words are taken out of context. The Buddha contradicted himself all the time, or rather his conventional truth sutras often contradict if you see them other than advice or teaching for the person to whom they are given. But I imagine Adyashanti isn't that popular with a lot of spiritual people as he doesn't give you any robes to put on or even any particular technique to practice or path to follow.

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 2