Sign in to follow this  
eye_of_the_storm

Gluten and Neurological Diseases (+ Other)

http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/gluten-sensitivity-and-vertigomenieres-disease/

Gluten is a known neurotoxin, and for many patients with gluten sensitivity, nervous system diseases are the only symptoms that manifest. Some neurologists have studied the connection in depth. To date, gluten has been shown to cause lesions in the brain and central nervous system on MRI, gluten has been shown to cause the body to make antibodies against nerve tissue.

Nerve Damage Improves on a Gluten Free Diet

There are a number of neurological diseases that have been shown to improve with a gluten free diet.

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 3

A study published in Muscle & Nerve journal in December 2006 found that participants with neuropathy who followed a gluten-free diet showed significant improvement in symptoms after one year. The control group reported worsening of symptoms.

Learn more: http://www.naturalne...l#ixzz2UxAmcooc

Gluten attacks the brain and damages the nervous system

http://www.naturalne...ain_damage.html

Increasing Body of Research Implicates Gluten Grains in Schizophrenia Pathogenesis

Since then, a number of studies have been published linking the consumption of gluten-containing grains to schizophrenia:
  • Schizophrenia Bulletin, 2011: Persons with schizophrenia have higher than expected titers of antibodies (7 fold increased prevalence) related to celiac disease and gluten sensitivity.[iv]
  • Schizophrenia Research, 2010: Individual with schizophrenia have a novel immune response to gliadin distinct from those with celiac disease (i.e. absence of antibodies to the transglutaminase enzyme and the HLA-DQ2/DQ8 genetic locus of susceptibility.[v]
  • Acta Psychiatra Scandinavica, 2006: A review of the literature found a drastic reduction, if not full remission, of schizophrenic symptoms after initiation of gluten withdrawal has been noted in a variety of studies.[vi]
  • Biological Psychiatry, 1984: Only two chronic schizophrenics were found among over 65,000 examined or closely observed adults in remote regions of Papua New Guinea (PNG, 1950-1967) and Malaita , Solomon Islands (1980-1981), and on Yap , Micronesia (1947-1948), who do not consume grains. Researchers noted that when these peoples became partially westernized and consumed wheat, barley beer, and rice, the prevalence reached European levels.[vii]
  • Science, 1976: Schizophrenics maintained on a grain-free and milk-free diet challenged with gluten saw interruption of their therapeutic progress. After termination of the gluten challenge, the course of improvement was reinstated.[viii]

http://www.greenmedi...s-schizophrenia

(NaturalNews) New research shows that people with wheat allergies and gluten intolerance have a higher risk of heart disease, cancer and death. Gluten is a protein contained in many grains, including wheat, barley, rye, and oats. It is even found in more unusual grains, such as spelt and kamut. Gluten is also found in beer. Wheat or gluten intolerance plague many people and cause gastric disturbances, but research now shows chronic health conditions are triggered by gluten intolerance, gluten sensitivity, and the extreme form of wheat allergy called celiac disease.

http://www.naturalne...nce_cancer.html

1 out of every 3 people – up to 40% of the population – may be gluten sensitive.

7. According to researcher Dr. Kenneth Fine, M. D., certain populations are at greater risk for developing gluten sensitivity. Gluten Sensitivity may occur in 1 out of every 2 people with these conditions:

• Microscopic colitis
  • Relatives of gluten-sensitive individuals
  • Gluten-sensitive individuals 1 year after treatment
  • Chronic diarrhea of unknown origin
  • Irritable bowel syndrome
  • Inflammatory bowel disease
  • Gastroesophageal reflux disease
  • Hepatitis C
  • Autoimmune liver disease
  • Other causes of chronic liver disease
  • Dermatitis herpetiformis
  • Diabetes mellitus, type 1
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Sjogren’s syndrome
  • Lupus
  • Scleroderma
  • Autoimmune thyroid disease
  • Dermatomyositis
  • Psoriasis
  • Any autoimmune syndrome
  • Chronic Fatigue
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Asthma
  • AIDS
  • Osteoporosis
  • Iron deficiency
  • Short stature in children
  • Down’s syndrome
  • Mothers of kids with neural tube defects
  • Female infertility
  • Peripheral neuropathy
  • Cerebellar ataxia
  • Seizure disorders
  • Psychiatric disorders
  • Depression
  • Alcoholism
  • Autism
  • ADHD/ADD

http://alwayswellwit...ould-it-be-you/

Gluten is the main structural protein complex of wheat with equivalent toxic proteins found in other cereals, including rye and barley. The toxic protein fractions of gluten include gliadins and glutenins, with gliadins containing monomeric proteins and glutenins containing aggregated proteins. Possibly the introduction of gluten-containing grains, which occurred about 10,000 years ago with the advent of agriculture, represented an evolutionary challenge that created the conditions for human diseases related to gluten exposure, the best known of which are mediated by the adaptive immune system: wheat allergy (WA) and celiac disease (CD). In both conditions the reaction to gluten is mediated by T-cell activation in the gastrointestinal mucosa. However, in WA it is the cross-linking of immunoglobulin (Ig)E by repeat sequences in gluten peptides (for example, serine-glutamine-glutamine -glutamine-(glutamine-)proline-proline-phenylalanine) that triggers the release of chemical mediators, such as histamine, from basophils and mast cells [1]. In contrast, CD is an autoimmune disorder, as demonstrated by specific serologic autoantibodies, most notably serum anti-tissue transglutaminase (tTG) and anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA).

http://www.biomedcen...1741-7015/10/13

Gluten is a known neurotoxin, and for many patients with gluten sensitivity, nervous system diseases are the only symptoms that manifest. Some neurologists have studied the connection in depth. To date, gluten has been shown to cause lesions in the brain and central nervous system on MRI, gluten has been shown to cause the body to make antibodies against nerve tissue.

http://www.glutenfre...nieres-disease/

A recent large study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that people with diagnosed, undiagnosed, and "latent" celiac disease or gluten sensitivity had a higher risk of death, mostly from heart disease and cancer.

This study looked at almost 30,00 patients from 1969 to 2008 and examined deaths in three groups: Those with full-blown celiac disease, those with inflammation of their intestine but not full-blown celiac disease, and those with latent celiac disease or gluten sensitivity (elevated gluten antibodies but negative intestinal biopsy).

http://www.huffingto...w_b_379089.html
  • Like 1

I find this very interesting. I've had stomach troubles most of my life but have only in the last few years started eliminating wheat and gluten containing products. The difference is amazing; easier bowel movements, no cramps and more energy.

I was diagnosed as being schizophrenic which I believe is related to a candida infection I unknowingly had during my teenage years (possibly due to too much wheat consumption). I tried many things to get rid of it, one of them being NMT (NeuroModulation Technique) a holistic allergy ridding modality which did rid me of symptoms but they came back after a few days.

The only thing that really worked was ayahuasca. It cleaned out my internals and relieved me of bloating, nausea and a general feeling of illness. This was last year, unfortunately the bloating has since returned but is not as pronounced. I'm confident that a few more sessions will get rid of it completely.

Sticking to a diet rich in vegetables is the way to go.

• Like 1

Good stuff Teriyaki!

Yes Gluten is toxic... who would have thought? ... so much suffering caused by it...and such a simple thing to remedy really

Pretty horrifying it being promoted as a "health food" haha and as the foundation of ones diet... I wonder who came up with that???

Food+pyramid+with+a+mind+map.png

Fatigue was the problem for me... maybe if I had known during school etc I could have done a lot better / being able to focus and all... not sleeping 10 odd hours and waking up tired @_@

I hope others will find this information useful :)

I'd be interested to hear of your AYA experience if you feel so inclined... visions, plant intelligences and so on :)

• Like 1

May want too consider cutting out diary too... seems to be a connection between gluten and lactose intolerance

Lactose intolerance is frequently a side effect of celiac disease. Celiacs who eat gluten become lactose intolerant after the villi and microvilli in their small intestine become damaged, and are no longer capable of catching and breaking down the lactose molecule. The problem usually disappears when celiacs remove gluten from their diet, which allows the damaged villi and microvilli to grow back. Lactose intolerance symptoms can continue for a long time after a celiac has gone on a 100% gluten-free diet. In some cases the villi and microvilli damage can take up to two years to heal completely, but in most cases it takes between six months and a year. Most people who are lactose intolerant can usually eat goat and sheep (feta) cheeses without any problems.

//

I don't believe we should be eating these things in the first place.... closest to nature + the less refined the better... so calling it an intolerance or a dis ease is a little silly.

Should potentially be classified as toxic / not for human consumption.

As opposed to "healthy"

hmmm

If people still wish to eat it though, their choice... or is it?

• Like 1

hehe yes lactose is a problem for me too! That food pyramid needs revision if you ask me, something like this..

picture-2.png

I'll say something about my ayahuasca experience. I had no visions, no vomiting. The DMT went to work in my pineal gland and for a few hours I felt a connection to something ancient and eternal. Whilst listening to the songs and whistling of the shaman I felt as though I was them, reminding myself of the simplicity and childlike nature of my being. We were asked to set an intention before taking, I asked to "cleanse the body to open the heart", and thats pretty much what happened.

• Like 3

Aaah, the food pyramid.

It was designed by the food industry as a marketing tool to gain more profit.

Listen to your own body if you want to learn how to live healthy, not PR.

• Like 1

I use gluten free oats.. is this not good?

WestonPrice says grains are digestible if they are soaked overnight.. that we make a mistake eating them without doing this.

It seems that things that we in the west call intolerances can often be attributed to the body being out of balance; usually excess dampness. Wheat is very damp forming, and so is dairy, so it makes perfect sense that gluten intolerance tends to go hand in hand with lactose intolerance. I used to have what people would call gluten intolerance. If I ate a bagel I would get incredibly itchy all over my body. Sometimes I would scratch my neck until it would bleed. This also happened with milk, and miso soup. After learning about TCM it all made perfect sense. These are all very dampening foods. Miso is just beans and seawood, but its loaded with salt and is fermented with mold, both of which are dampening. I stopped drinking milk, and I eat limited amounts of yogurt and cheese. I try to limit bread or pasta to one meal a day at most, and try to include more drying foods into my diet, such as quinoa, beans, and millet. When I do this, I can eat wheat and dairy in moderation and feel great.

I don't look at wheat and dairy as being some sort of poison. TCM views them as incredibly nourishing. So nourishing, that the body has difficulty digesting and assimilating it, to the point where it causes internal dampness. Wheat and dairy have become staple foods in the US, and I think that is the problem. These incredibly nourishing foods should not be eaten on a half full stomach. I'm not saying all wheat is perfectly fine. I'm a horticulturalist, so I know the dubious methods, such as radiation, that went into creating our modern dwarf variety of wheat, but I think it is an overreaction to shun heirloom varieties as toxic food for everyone.

• Like 3

I use gluten free oats.. is this not good?

WestonPrice says grains are digestible if they are soaked overnight.. that we make a mistake eating them without doing this.

Oats are always gluten free, as is rice, buckwheat (which has no relation to wheat apart from the name), quinoa, millets (including sorghum and teff), amaranth and corn.

Soaking grains does make them more digestible, as does proper cooking (ie. don't under-cook).

Beware pre-made products labelled 'gluten-free', often they have less than desirable nutritional qualities. If you're going to go gluten free, eat natural products that are inherently gluten free, as opposed to gluten-free 'substitutes'.

• Like 2

As Mike said :)

If you're going to go gluten free, eat natural products that are inherently gluten free, as opposed to gluten-free 'substitutes'.

Runner

http://thetaobums.com/topic/24484-yoked-to-earth-a-treatise-on-corpse-demons-and-bigu/

^ TTCM

(Traditional Traditional Chinese Medicine :P )

ok, so gluten free oats are just oats that have not been grown anywhere near wheat and not processed anywhere near wheat, so no cross contamination can occurr.

a lot of gluten free products use non wheat flours, which is what makes them free from gluten.

ok, so gluten free oats are just oats that have not been grown anywhere near wheat and not processed anywhere near wheat, so no cross contamination can occurr.

a lot of gluten free products use non wheat flours, which is what makes them free from gluten.

Yes, some people have the idea oats are 'contaminated'. I'm not sure how prevalent this is, I eat gluten so I also get regular (ie. cheap) oats.

The problem with gluten free breads is they usually contain alot of starches (corn, potato starch, rice flour) and vegetable gums (xanthan, guar and locust bean gums), and your body will metabolize them into sugar much more quickly than it would breads made with more complex carbohydrates (like whole grain wheat, rye, spelt, buckwheat, etc...). Commercial gluten-free breads have the nutritional quality of several packets of white sugar...

Gluten-free breads made in a traditional way are flat (due to lack of structure provided by gluten), so westerners generally don't like them. Examples are corn tortillas, injera, bajra roti, galettes au sarrasin... These are healthy, but harder to make into a sandwich.

Yes, I tried gluten free bread once, it was so pointless that I didnt bother again, it tasted ridiculously not worth eating. But then I am not a fan of bread anyhow so it doesnt matter to me. It would drive me crazy if I was French I expect. It'd also be very very tedious to be gluten intolerant in Italy.

Quinoa pasta is fine.

Coconut flour bread is easy to make.

Chocolate brownies made from black beans are wonderful.

Cakes made with almond flour and grated veggies are terrific.

Soca, a sort of pancake made with gram flour is really good. I use gram flour to make cookies and muffins, it is very tasty flour.

Actually it is very simple to put oats into a blender and turn them into flour, too.

• Like 2

High level Qi Gong practitioners have utilized BIGU ( QI + no grain diet) for thousands of years as it potentiates the physical and spiritual benefits of their routine.

• Like 2

That diet makes a HUGE difference :). Out of every way of eating I have ever tried, this one has worked the best for me by far!

I managed it for a couple of years, but now am having trouble with the no rice (or rice noodles) at all aspect... just reducing it more and more each week.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this