Marblehead

Watching The Birds

I see eagles are everywhere!They are dangerous.

Yes, they are carnivores. 

Humans are everywhere.  They are dangerous.

• Like 2

Pope's peace doves attacked by crow and seagull (2014)

Fate of white doves unclear after being released by children standing alongside pontiff in front of crowd in St Peter's Square.

Doves-011.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm

Two white doves that were released as a peace gesture by children standing alongside Pope Francis were attacked by other birds.

As tens of thousands of people watched in St Peter's Square on Sunday, a seagull and a large black crow swept down on the doves after they were set free from an open window of the Apostolic Palace.

Seagull-attacks-dove-008.jpg?w=620&q=55&

One dove lost some feathers as it broke free from the gull. But the crow pecked repeatedly at the other dove. It was not clear what happened to the doves as they flew off.

Crow-chases-dove-011.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto

• Like 1

Yeah, rough and tumble nature can be pretty hard to deal with at times.

We humans have set standards that most humans comply with.  The other animals in nature just don't seem to understand the rules.

Yeah, rough and tumble nature can be pretty hard to deal with at times.

We humans have set standards that most humans comply with.  The other animals in nature just don't seem to understand the rules.

The number one rule being that we humans are top predator? However I didn't see it in those terms at all. My interest was in its symbolism for which there are many possible interpretations, best left to the imagination. I suspect Zhuangzi would smile on the scene and write a clever anecdote illustrating the clash between Daoist and Confucianist worldviews.  

• Like 1

They probably thought the kids were throwing food out the window. I know I dont get the rules, probably since they dont make sense really, like ,,throwing tame birds out the window.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

The number one rule being that we humans are top predator? However I didn't see it in those terms at all. My interest was in its symbolism for which there are many possible interpretations, best left to the imagination. I suspect Zhuangzi would smile on the scene and write a clever anecdote illustrating the clash between Daoist and Confucianist worldviews.  

Oftentimes you think much deeper than I do.

• Like 2

I'm watching and feeding birds in the garden.They are very hungry all the time.

• Like 3

I'm watching and feeding birds in the garden.They are very hungry all the time.

Yes, Most are opportunists.  With food available they will generally eat more than just to satisfy their hunger.  They build up reserve just in case no food is available tomorrow.

• Like 3

I was sitting out front a little bit ago and a sudden rush of departure of the pigeons that sometimes come over to eat the food I put out for the smaller birds.  I glanced up in wonder of their chaotic departure.  Then I saw why.  A hawk was after them.

• Like 3

In the garden,I see lots of sparrows and white cheek bleu headed mountain birds.

• Like 2

i call them morning doves

Yes, a lot of people do because they are almost always active first thing in the morning talking with their neighbors.

There are a few Bluegrass tunes that speak to the Mourning Dove.

One in particular by Kevin Williamson (One Track Mind) goes:

"I told it to a dove and he cried too."

• Like 2

Error Correction

The words of the song:

Sang 'em for a Whippoorwill and he cried too.

No Mourning Dove.

post-113890-0-67471100-1459182187_thumb.jpg

I have been watching this guy nest for about 10 days. I have not looked him/her up yet, but I suspect it is some kind of hawk. 

Will update soon.

update:

It is a falcon...

American Kestrel Falco sparverius

The American Kestrel is a special raptor, and is well adapted to any habitat throughout North America.  This falcon, which is the smallest breeding bird of prey in North America, can be found in the middle of the busiest cities to some of the higher elevation forests.  It nests in cavities, mainly holes in trees and convenient nest boxes built by people.  In Maricopa County, the American Kestrel is no different.  While they are observed in all habitats in the county, they can be seen in the highest numbers in areas with open fields, such as the agricultural fields in the Arlington area (Area 8).   Spot the kestrel by it's hovering behavior, in which it's diet highly consists of insects.

http://www.birderfrommaricopa.com/vultures--hawks--eagles--and-falcons.htm

Edited by Kar3n
  • Like 4

7292432-3x2-940x627.jpg

There's always a few kookaburras around here.

Kookaburras are terrestrial tree kingfishers of the genus Dacelo native to Australia and New Guinea, which grow to between 28–42 cm (11–17 in) in length. The name is a loanword from Wiradjuri guuguubarra, onomatopoeic of its call. 

The kookaburra's loud call sounds like echoing human laughter. They are found in habitats ranging from humid forest to arid savanna, as well as in suburban areas with tall trees or near running water.

tumblr_o400s8e5Uo1utpbkho1_540.jpg

They like to eat baby snakes too.
Edited by Yueya
  • Like 4

there are about fifty swans in the meadow that i overlook from my livingroom, farmer is probably not happy with it, but soo nice to look at. Picture is not mine but gives an idea

Zwanen-in-weiland.jpg

• Like 4

7292432-3x2-940x627.jpg

There's always a few kookaburras around here.

Kookaburras are terrestrial tree kingfishers of the genus Dacelo native to Australia and New Guinea, which grow to between 28–42 cm (11–17 in) in length. The name is a loanword from Wiradjuri guuguubarra, onomatopoeic of its call. 

The kookaburra's loud call sounds like echoing human laughter. They are found in habitats ranging from humid forest to arid savanna, as well as in suburban areas with tall trees or near running water.

tumblr_o400s8e5Uo1utpbkho1_540.jpg

They like to eat baby snakes too.

Hi Yueya,

You don't hear kookaburras call every day,when you do hear them,there is a good chance it will rain three or four days later.

• Like 1