RiverSnake

Soul Mirrors and The Tarot

I have done Bardon's Black and White mirror exercise twice....and I have always found it to be quite Insightful and thought provoking, however recently I came to up with the idea to do my soul mirrors via utilizing the Tarot.

I drew 3 cards which reflected my most important negative attributes and 3 cards which reflected my most positive attributes, I imagine if one wanted to do a full reading of his personality he might draw 10 cards for each side. I have only done it once and have found it to be a very useful technique for self reflection and analysis (after all that's what the Tarot is for) and thought I would share it with the forum. Not sure if anyone else has used this approach before, just something that intuitively came to me.

I personally like using the cards more than the methods that Bardon suggests of sheer self analysis because a single Tarot card (symbols in general) can speak volumes about you as a person and help harness both our conscious and subconscious powers and bring forth gems for our enrichment. If anyone tries it feel free to post your thoughts, I would be very interested to hear your experiences. :)

Anyways, hope this technique is useful for others.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 2

Interesting. Out of curiosity, what deck do you use? I imagine you shuffle the deck, put the 3 cards in the positive side, 3 on the negative and interpret through the usual symbology?

In a recent post Rex had a interesting image that had striking images of quabbalah and tarot. Here http://alwaysinsearchoflight.tumblr.com/image/46158325815 Reminds me of Rawn Clark's TMo practice.

Edited by thelerner

Interesting. Out of curiosity, what deck do you use? I imagine you shuffle the deck, put the 3 cards in the positive side, 3 on the negative and interpret through the usual symbology?

In a recent post Rex had a interesting image that had striking images of quabbalah and tarot. Here http://alwaysinsearchoflight.tumblr.com/image/46158325815 Reminds me of Rawn Clark's TMo practice.

I use the Tarot of the Spirit deck. It's the deck I was most drawn towards, each has a different vibe, different people will be drawn to different decks. When interpreting the cards in this context you would look at the negative or positive aspect of each card. For example lets say you get the devil or tower card in the positive side, you would interpret the positive aspects of that card rather than the negative and also look inward in to see what that means to you individually.

Yes, I draw the 3 negative cards first, put them of to the side and then draw the 3 positive. However, this is all open ended stuff, do it the way you won't to.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

Excellent post OldGreen. In my early twenties I worked on a system of self analysis based on one's astrological chart. It was part of my early exploration of astrological magic, which I approached through images drawn, literally and figuratively from ones chart. They were literally drawn because this was one of my first forays into art and magic and of course figuratively because the idea drew (there is that literal and figurative and again!) on the long standing Western tradition of creating images based on the symbolism of ones chart. The images were to be used much like tarot cards have been, as doorways for visionary exploration, in this case of oneself.

Like the tarot the language of astrology is richer than Bardon's elemental analysis, but because of the elemental attributes of the signs and planets could be related to that also, so that one could use Bardon as a starting point.

What I particularly like about your suggestions is the use of the tarot as an Oracle and not as a mere fortunetelling tool. Long ago I made a distinction between an Oracle and fortunetelling. The distinction arose because of my thinking about the difference between the Tarot and the Yi Jing. Generally speaking the Tarot is used to forecast future events, but the Yi Jing provides advice for behaving in a way that will produce good results, it is advice based upon an analysis of a core structure of the Cosmos with a view to "proper" behavior, but "proper" behavior in this sense always means behavior that produces good results. Your suggestion lifts the Tarot up to this level and also because of the astrological attributes of the Tarot cards it could also be used in conjunction with an astrological chart, a possibility which, like virtue may have its own rewards.

However, after all of my years of study, practice and reflection, I think that one of the most valuable exercises in self-knowledge is the systematic analysis of ones beliefs. Most people confuse opinion/beliefs with knowledge. Every schoolboy and girl "knows", that Napoleon lost the battle of Waterloo. This "knowledge" however is just a belief, very likely what Plato would call a "true" belief, but a belief nonetheless.

The same is true about beliefs about science, Buddhism, the Dao and even what a lot of people, especially here on the Tao Bums, believe to most sacrosanct, ones own experience, because to say, "I have experienced it, therefore it is true", tells us a lot about one's beliefs about the veracity of one's experiences, but nothing about the truth of the experience itself, while asserting an infallibility that would make the Pope blush.

• Like 7

Thanks for the insights Zhongyong. I found it intresting how you distinguish between Fortune Telling and Oracles. If approached creatively, I think there is really no limit to the depth you can divine...albeit as you mentioned each system does have its different emphasis and focuses (images, letters....etc)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

I have always approached divination creatively. The oracle/fortunetelling distinction is a relatively early result, circa 1970. I started applying information theory to improve divination, both in theory and practice circa 1980. This lead to changes in the way that I used the Tarot as well as Western Geomancy, which I have taken so for outside of the bare bones that one learned in the books of the period that most people who fancy they know it would be astonished. It is an amazing system, especially if you bear in mind what I have said regarding using divination systems as magical systems.

In any case, I liked what you said.

Basically you choose a signifier card for yourself (or the other person if you want to get all fancy about things), and you place that upon your altar. Then you take the card, start with major arcana for the first few years, and you place that card of what you want to bring about (say the magician card) overtop and perpendicular of your first card. Now they are forming an equilateral cross. If you want to get all fancy about things you can setup your temple with things which represent that card. Then you set a candle or two going on the project, stating clearly and explicitly what you want out of it. You can also of course call upon a specific Deity or angel or whatever to help you with this. Also perhaps a specific incense if you are into the correspondence thing.

Leave the cards on the altar for a few days, or a week. I don't recommend longer than a week as it can bring imbalance. If you come up with the crazy idea of doing the entire major arcana, one after another, one week each... be prepared for a very interesting and uhm enlightening couple of years. Also keep in mind that each card has a positive and negative aspect. So state your intentions clearly, but also know that sometimes what we may see as negative comes about to help us along our path.

Was thinking that one could also apply this methodology to purifying oneself of the negative traits we find in our soul mirror via using cards with the opposite traits of are flaws or something to that effect. Possibly use the Tower or Death card to dissolve ones nonsense. :P

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

Being seeing a lot of syncronicities with my work with the Tarot lately. It seems that because it is a system of symbols and correspondences, when you draw card for your negative soul traits/qualities.....it not only gives the problem....but also the solution at the same time because there are opposing cards that can be used to purify and strengthen that weakness.....at-least this is what I have observed with the court cards so far.

I have yet to experiment with the numbers or paths. There are no opposites for the path cards so I am contemplating how one would approach that. Interesting stuff. Gonna keep exploring this.

My 2 cents, Peace

Interesting. Using the tarot as a catalyst to bring attributes into clarity.
I've found that the soul mirror practice is something one does continuously in Bardon's work.

• Like 1

Interesting. Using the tarot as a catalyst to bring attributes into clarity.

I've found that the soul mirror practice is something one does continuously in Bardon's work.

Yeah, I don't think the soul mirror should be done once and then is finished with. Personal refinement is something that is never finished. However, doing it with the Tarot can at-least make it a bit less tedious. :P

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

I personally like using the cards more than the methods that Bardon suggests of sheer self analysis because a single Tarot card (symbols in general) can speak volumes about you as a person and help harness both our conscious and subconscious powers and bring forth gems for our enrichment.

Recently decided to do my Soul Mirrors again, the really long way with a 100 in each mirror. However, I am finding that the use of the intellect as Bardon suggests in combination with utilizing the Tarot to diagnose defects is a powerful and effective tool. The cards can give a doorway for the intellect to probe into deeper depths of the personality and pull out thorns you didn't even (consciously) know were there. While at the same time the intellect can also probe through ones day to day interactions and pull out whatever trinkets of snotty gold one can find. Should be finished with my mirrors in a few days, as always its an interesting working. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

Really if you reflect long enough on the whole tarot system...I think you would realize that drawing certain cards to tell you about yourself is a little ridiculous...which I think is why Bardon simply used the Mage card to symbolize the path of the mage....not the path of your personality. The societal persona is entirely self created by means of cause and effect relations that continue throughout our lifetime...you were born with a nature that created its personality most closely attune with its nature...hence you say certain things in a certain way and act a certain way in certain scenarios and thus form habits that others see and they associate all of that as your personality, and so do you as yourself.

I think the importance of that step in IIH is to be continually working towards being as positive as possible in regards to your own development throughout the steps...so you can reach Level 10 and be a Master Mage and go on missions for "Divine Providence" Hence, if you don't know what about yourself is holding you back---- you make soul mirror after reflecting upon your obstacle.

And how can decks of cards that have been created in multiple different manners be true at all in revealing anything to anyone about themselves?....Anyone can draw pictures in a symbolic way of their life experiences and form them into a deck of cards......

Im just curious as to why people are into it, Im not trying to be condescending or anything.

Its easy to ridicule systems like tarot or astrology, and I am always up for good old clear thinking.

But the skeptics I know who debunk everything as being illogical and ridiculous, and who look down on these 'sciences' and the people who practice them are weirdly the losers in the situation, not the person reading Tarot.

I will leave aside the issue of whether the tarot is 'real' with its alleged oracular status, and instead focus on why the argument for it being stupid is actually one of its strong points.

Skeptics love to point out the fact that when a reading is getting done, the person receiving it is in interpreting mode. And they start actively reaching for interpretations that fit their life story ~ over reaching some may say.

So, the recipient of a reading is actually engaging themselves in an 'archetypal story' style of self enquiry, where they ask questions and look for meaning.

They are not getting away scott free though, as even though they draw conclusions based on their conscious mind, the possibly random nature of the spread means they will still be facing surprising archetypal {or pictorial if that suits you better} reflections that have to do with the many areas of their own psyche.

This leads to growth, self knowledge, and deeper insight into human experience.

This is why the Taro/astro fans I know are generally 'high explorer' types, inquisitive, vivacious, and alive in that way that only someone who is regularly plumbing the unconscious can be.

This is why I say that the skeptic loses, as the skeptics I know almost universally live in their heads, disembodied and shut off from the wonders of deep connection. Its funny but sad to think they would scoff at that sentence, as they really have no idea of what they are missing.

As for the spiritual side, thats up to you to figure out, but to me, the Universe is a conscious thing, and archetypal patterns attract and reflect each other...

• Like 1

The way I approach Tarot readings is as a tool for self-reflection of the individual receiving it.....I try leaving all the ideas of synchronicity, collective unconscious and other woo e woo things in the closet because people in general are so skeptical. That being said I have never done a Tarot reading for someone and as a result it not opened them up to deeper levels of self-awareness and knowledge.

It is generally the case that people get there mind blown when they get a reading from me and I am sure it is the same for others as I am not overly talented in this area. I never even talk about syncroncities, they need no exaggeration when you look at your own reading.

One of my friends is an atheist and he regularly asks me for readings. It's powerful stuff, because your not "telling or give people advice" but just letting the cards that they themselves draw speak, so you bypass their ego and all there defense mechanisms. Every single person always walks away from the table a little or a great deal changed for the better.....in the long term at least :P

Jadespear, i highly recommend you get a reading from someone whom isn't a snake oil salesman.....experience it before you pass judgment on it. Doing the opposite is the realm of fools....no pun intended.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

Was thinking that one could also apply this methodology to purifying oneself of the negative traits we find in our soul mirror via using cards with the opposite traits of are flaws or something to that effect. Possibly use the Tower or Death card to dissolve ones nonsense. :P

My 2 cents, Peace

Be very careful using the death card, and especially if you use the tower card for this sort of work! While it does work, and good results come of it, sometimes they come on a little faster, and more dramatically than one might like! I don't just mean on a psychological and spiritual level either ;).

• Like 1

Be very careful using the death card, and especially if you use the tower card for this sort of work! While it does work, and good results come of it, sometimes they come on a little faster, and more dramatically than one might like! I don't just mean on a psychological and spiritual level either ;).

A well taken point. The card the Hermit as linked to Virgo is a good card for understanding oneself better. In some ways it goes back to what I have said about uncrossing in the thread on spells that work.

• Like 1

Indeed, I contemplated this a bit more after learning about elemental pairing and balancing out ones composition. It seemed if a card referring to a certain elemental quality in the Tarot is out of balance (Example: 3 of Fire) then you would possibly want to use its opposite (3 of Water). You don't want to completely eliminate parts of yourself (could be harmful) but balance and gain control of those characteristics so they can be used for more positive ends. You could potentially apply this polarity matching to other cards as well.

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

A trick that I used recently in combination with my Tarot Soul Mirrors is divining whats my biggest block that's inhibiting the flow in my personality. Look at the card and drawing out the meaning from the card and the personality trait it's referring to....write it down. Then applying the Sedona Method technique to release that blockag-feeling-psychological construct....etc......from yourself.

It's quite powerful stuff and well worth digging in the well for: http://www.sedona.com/How-It-Works.asp

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

A trick that I used recently in combination with my Tarot Soul Mirrors is divining whats my biggest block that's inhibiting the flow in my personality. Look at the card and drawing out the meaning from the card and the personality trait it's referring to....write it down. Then applying the Sedona Method technique to release that blockag-feeling-psychological construct....etc......from yourself.

It's quite powerful stuff and well worth digging in the well for: http://www.sedona.com/How-It-Works.asp

My 2 cents, Peace

In addition I'd like to mention that utilizing the Sedona method has really allowed me to take my Soul Mirror work "mobile". If I notice any tension or imbalance within the day I don't have to write it down on a paper so I can categorize it into my mirror for later contemplation. I simply ask myself "Am I willing to let go of this tension/blockage/negative characteristic?.......etc

It's a very empowering practice that can take "Soul Work" to a deeper and more integrated level with ones daily life rather than tucked away in your notebook for later commencement.

My 2 cents, Peace

A useful technique I've appropriated from Jacki Smith recently is basically asking yourself a question and spitting out the first answer your subconscious mind gives. The idea is to say it right away so your conscious mind doesn't filter it for a "prettier" answer. :)

Used it with great success in combination with some recent soul readings I did with my deck and the Sedona method. Picked up the trick on DDTRH. Have fun. :)

http://deeper-down-the-rabbit-hole.com/2011/07/episode-17-guest-jacki-smith-techniques-candle-magic/

Edited by OldChi

A technique ive began using in my soul mirror practice that has a similar cord cutting effect of the Sedona is the Buddhist Insight practice of "Noting".

Every time a thought comes up or I have an experience that dilutes my focus I just say "Noted" or "Note".....as in saying I acknowledge this/you....etc....and then let it go immediately. I remember picking up this technique many years ago when I first started and it was quite powerful....but for whatever reason it's come back into my sphere and am applying it in this fashion. The practice has a very similar effect to counting thoughts with males beads, just without the physical beads and it can be done on the go....that is if you have developed that level of clarity in daily life.

I've gone through an enormous variety of core blockages with Divining Negative traits with cartomancy and I've also had tons of success with using Sedona to burn through overarching negative patterns. This noting technique seems to be diving into the finer nitty gritty particulars of the mind and burning through psychological fragmentation in ones daily on the go life. :)

A practice well worth it's salt.

http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/mental-noting/

Edited by OldChi