Hi, I thought we might benefit from a page devoted to all our favourite books on these wonderful subjects.

We could describe their style with a mini review to help inform the others as to whether they would be interested or not. For instance some want more scholarly than practical or vice versa, so those details could be mentioned.

So many great subjects with their own fields of expertise!

Secrets of the Magical Grimoires, by Aaron Leitch.

Its a thick, detailed journey through the Grimoires. Its easy to read, and ranges from history, to practice aspects, comparisons with other possibly similar Grimoires, Leitches personal anecdotes and some really interesting comparisons with African traditional conjur practices.

Not everyone agrees with his 'Grimoire Shamanism' theories {which I think originated with Jake Stratton-Kent} but I believe there is merit to these Ideas...

For a cheap book utterly packed with info on Grimoires, this is well worth having on the shelf.

• Like 1

I recently read the first book: Magical Knowledge by Josephine McCarthy. I would say its right next to IIH, an amazing book, one of the best books on Occult I have read....there are 2 more In the series though which I have yet to read which go deeper into working.

Magical Knowledge 1: takes the approach of an introductory book for the new practitioner. The first half of the book basically shows the novice the ropes, the levels as well as the various pitfalls that the practitioner will face on the path (not something I have seen in other books).

The 2nd half of the book is about utilizing Visionary work in order to act magically. Not a method I was familiar with at the time, but still a style that seems to be prevalent in the Western Tradition. Also what I have toyed around with in Vision was powerful and highly transformational. Altogether an excellent book, lots of juice behind it and I look forward to reading the next 2 books. Also it's only 5$ on Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/Magical-Knowledge-Book-Foundations-Practitioner/dp/1906958440/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365587148&sr=8-1&keywords=Magical+knowledge

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 2

"Meditations on the Tarot" published anonymously in 1984, but written earlier by Steiner student Valentin Tomberg... A treasure trove

• Like 2

Recently I liked the Red Lion, by Maria Szepes.

It's fiction but has plenty of hermetic/alchemical wisdom in it, the author poured lots of her knowledge in there but sadly there's bias too. The more you know about western tradtions the more you notice from the book. For example if you know some palmistry it will give you some infromation about some characters when they are first introduced.

The story takes place in multiple incarnations on the road to becoming a master. Each incarnation has it's challenges but each is also necessary to progress.

[My reviewing skills seriously need polish]

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

I still only like Agrippa :). It pretty much covers everything, and from both philosophical as well as practical aspects.

The elements, herb magic, star magic, gemstone magic, rootwork, evocation, and more!

Yes I have read a couple hundred other books on "magic" over the years, and have found them to be deficient.

Recently I liked the Red Lion, by Maria Szepes.

It's fiction but has plenty of hermetic/alchemical wisdom in it, the author poured lots of her knowledge in there but sadly there's bias too. The more you know about western tradtions the more you notice from the book. For example if you know some palmistry it will give you some infromation about some characters when they are first introduced.

The story takes place in multiple incarnations on the road to becoming a master. Each incarnation has it's challenges but each is also necessary to progress.

[My reviewing skills seriously need polish]

Fantastic book!

If you have a basic understanding of Alchemy it will unlock the book even further.

If you don´t, you will have gained it at the end.

The alchemical processes in the book are accurately described.

Written towards the end of WW2, in a time of death and madness, makes it even more important.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Red-Lion-Elixir-Eternal/dp/0965262189/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Edited by Gemstone
  • Like 1

Fantastic book!

If you have a basic understanding of Alchemy it will unlock the book even further.

If you don´t, you will have gained it at the end.

The alchemical processes in the book are accurately described.

Written towards the end of WW2, in a time of death and madness, makes it even more important.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Red-Lion-Elixir-Eternal/dp/0965262189/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks, my reviewing really doesn't do justice to it. It's a teaching tool, reminded me of alot I've gathered on alchemy/hermetics over the years and connected some new dots as well. Reading it was transformative. Interesting tidbit about the author is that she lived to be 99 years old teaching hermetics behind the iron curtain.

• Like 1

I've also heard people I've respected to stay away from Tyson versions of anything. Is he really that bad?

And thanks for telling about the esoteric archives. Didn't know such a site existed.

Edited by Guest

The Mystery of the Cathedrals by Fulcanelli

Fantastic book!

I can feel the presence of a major key in this book, but I cannot see it.

Makes me want to buy a house with a basement...

I just started reading Strategic Sorcery by Jason Miller. I can already tell its gonna be a classic in my library. He presents his material in such clarity and balanced depth that is sorely lacking in the majority of occult literature. Quite excellent so far. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Sorcerers-Secrets-Strategies-Practical-Magick/dp/160163059X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401070174&sr=1-1&keywords=strategic+sorcery

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis

The Matrix: Being the One

The Reality of Being

oh and that old book called Life.

Edited by fizix

I still really like some of the Chapters in Normandy Ellis' 'Awakening Osiris'. It may not be a 'proper translation' or even transliteration but , as some critic wrote, at times she has the ability to 'send us back there'. That might be a 'romantic fantasy' ... but it works for me.

In some cases she seems to capture that essence of living in pure harmony and bliss with the simplicity of life.

She even inspired me to write a little one of my own (not based on the ancient books).

Can we include any of our own work here as our favourites? :D

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

I just started reading Magical Identity by Taylor Ellwood. Only a few chapters in and I am deeply impressed with his perspective and methodology. He approaches Magick in a different way than anyone else I've read. Definitely worth checking out. :)

Book: http://www.amazon.com/Magical-Identity-Taylor-Ellwood/dp/1905713762/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408035461&sr=8-1&keywords=Magical+identity

Interview: http://occultofpersonality.net/taylor-ellwood/http://www.amazon.com/Magical-Identity-Taylor-Ellwood/dp/1905713762/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408035461&sr=8-1&keywords=Magical+identity

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

A "must read" for hermeticists:

Frances A. Yates: Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition

Yates was not (officially) an occultist but a historian. Nevertheless, this is an excellent introduction to the Hermetic Universe, imo. Besides Bruno, Yates also talks about Hermes, Dionysius the Aeropagite, Ficino, Mirandola, Agrippa, Campanella and others.

All of her other books are very informative and intriguing to read, too, i.e. The Rosicrucian Enlightenment.

Edited by Michael Sternbach

A favorite of mine is "Pathways Thru to Space" by Franklin Merrell Wolff, an American mystic, who lived in the Sierra Nevada mountains and experienced an "Awakening" in 1936. With so much Oriental literature, that is often hard to comprehend by the Occidental mind, it is great to have another perspective by a Western mystic! He left us with 50 aphorisms at the end of the book and here are the foundational first three:

!. "Consciousness without an object is."

2. "Though objects were, consciousness without an object is."

3. "Though objects seem to exist, consciousness without an object is."

Do you see where this is going.... it builds on these three. He was a Stanford trained mathematician who came to realize there was much more beyond the visible world.

If interested, there is a fellowship website devoted to all of his materials.

I still strongly recommend getting an actual teacher for these sorts of topics ;).

Indeed, in person teaching is best. Was wondering if anyone had experiences with his methods though?

Jason Miller who has a unique way of blending Tibetan and Western meditation and magic has just released a book on sexual practice including practices from a Tibetan point of view including work on the channels and drops. Its called Sex, Sorcery and Spirit. I'm not totally on board with the magical uses of sex,just not there yet, but I am really enjoying the internal practices. He really takes public discussion of these practices to a new level. I am not a representative of his, just sharing

• Like 1