3bob

Buddhists forum vs Vedanta forum

Why would you consider "Buddhism," the true Indian religion?

Go to a museum with a huge collection of Indian artwork. Look at the dates of the Buddhist pieces. Then look at the dates of the Hindu pieces.

@ dwai

So do you not agree that "Hinduism" and "Buddhism" are related? Do you agree that they are all just Dharma?

Do you see how what you have expressed in your posts contradicts the above? You can see how it looks hypocritical right?

I'm starting to think that you (and 3bob) would really find it quite disagreeable, if the "Vedanta" and "Buddhist" sub-forums were combined under one sub-forum called "Dharma Discussion."

No. It's not hypocritical. I have expressed my opinion that there are significant overlaps within the two traditions (specifically advaita Vedanta and Buddhism). Never have I said that one should subsume the other or that they are the same.

I have however stated that they are two paths towards the same end...

I don't like to talk down at others so I will not try and break this down further for you...you seem smart enough to know the difference between "they point to the same thing" and "they are the same".

Also given how militant some of the buddhabum s are (perfect examples are yourself and alwayson ) while others are proselytizers, merging the two is detrimental to discussions of Vedanta and "Hindu" traditions.

• Like 1

I'm not against Hinduism. Indeed I sent out a mass email regarding "Invading the Sacred" including a link to the youtube video. No Hindu gives a shit. And the local library wouldn't even accept a donation of the book.

This shows that you are fundamentally opposed and have created a dichotomy in your psyche of "them" vs "us" or "Buddhists" vs "Hindus";

This is because clueless Buddhists critique Hindus all the time. Go onto any Buddhist forum and read discussions about "atman".

By the way, atman is just sanskrit for identity, no matter the philosophy.

Edited by alwayson

Also given how militant some of the buddhabum s are (perfect examples are yourself and alwayson ) while others are proselytizers, merging the two is detrimental to discussions of Vedanta and "Hindu" traditions.

I'm not militant. Just proud of Indian culture.

• Like 1

I didn't say anything about one subsuming the other or vice versa...Nor did I ever imply that "they are the same thing"...

Do you see how your attitude is expressed in this sentence? This shows that you are fundamentally opposed and have created a dichotomy in your psyche of "them" vs "us" or "Buddhists" vs "Hindus"; Your deep rooted identification with "Hinduism" is a polarity that is nothing more than a form of Orientalism left over from the remnants of the British occupation of India...

This is hypocritical to the acknowledgement of their relatedness and is contradictory to the embracing attitude of looking at them from the perspective of both equally being Dharma.

See another example of this dichotomy expressing itself in your posts.

It's all in your head unfortunately...

If you can have civilized discussions with me comparing notes and not displaying juvenile histrionics that pass off as "intellectual" musings Then I'm all for discussions. The problem is that most armchair Buddhists read a few books, go to a few retreats and think they know it all. And they are dogmatic and inflexible about their "faith" (which they vehemently deny alongside their self).

I'd much rather discuss with mature individuals whom I can interact with without Having to deal with the hyperbole that is associated with half-baked intellectuals and dogmatic infants on the Internet.

"No. It's not hypocritical. I have expressed my opinion that there are significant overlaps within the two traditions (specifically advaita Vedanta and Buddhism).

Never have I said that one should subsume the other or that they are the same.
I have however stated that they are two paths towards the same end..." by Dwai

Right on :)

I'm not against Hinduism. Indeed I sent out a mass email regarding "Invading the Sacred" including a link to the youtube video. No Hindu gives a shit. And the local library wouldn't even accept a donation of the book.

Let me know which library and i'll let the editors of Invading the Sacred know (if they want they can reach out to them)

We probably could have had a civilized discussion in the other threads...but, honestly it seems like you're unwilling to think outside of a "Hindu" fundamentalist mindset....

At least you're being honest towards me in this post. I really do appreciate that, dwai. :)

Take care!!!!

I don't think I've ever been dishonest about how I feel here. I tried having civilized discussions with the ilk of Mikaelz and Vajrahridaya and a host of others. They started frothing in the mouth and tried to bite my head off. Unfortunately (for them) my head is not that pleasant to chew on... :)

I don't have anything to hide so I haven't assumed an alias...if someone doesn't like what I write, they are welcome to ignore me. And it's my prerogative to ignore others if I so choose.

I've learnt one thing over the course of the years -- if I approach a subject with humility, I learn and grow. If I approach a subject with my cup brimming over and act like my $#!t don't stink, I lose an opportunity to learn something.

Through my own website (The Medha Journal), I have had the honor of interacting with some of the most humble individuals (of great accomplishment). I have made a few acquaintances here on TTB as well that I truly admire and respect. They are Buddhists, Hindus, Atheists, Christians, Daoists, Scientists, Philosophers, etc. They have all some unique qualities -- they are humble, they are respectful and they don't troll.

Edited by dwai

Obviously - and with it being very basic and common knowledge - the historic Buddha taught a full description of Buddhist Dharma being that He, the historic Buddha was the founder of same, so of course there are differences.

• Like 1

Dwai, just admit that you view Buddhism and Hinduism as two separate Dharmas. Also, that you wouldn't like to see them categorized under a forum called "Dharma Discussion."

There's nothing to admit. They are two separate traditions...and as much as I would like Buddhists and Vedantins to amicably co-exist here on TTB, history shows that it is not possible. Now, go back under the bridge.

Oh wait there is no such thing as Hinduism.

Yes there is. It is what the English called Sanatana Dharma.

Yes there is. It is what the English called Sanatana Dharma.

Please give me a break. Like I said, you don't follow real Hinduism.

Please give me a break. Like I said, you don't follow real Hinduism.

Feel free to think whatever you like. Mere jeb se paisa thodi na ja raha hai? Tum apni iccha ke malik ho, so chahey uska uchit vyavahar karo, chahey anuchit.

Vyarth jo apna samay gawa ta hai

wohi moorkh kehlata hai

How about? Kannada baratta nimige? Kannada dalli her beka? Tamil teriuma? Bangla jano? Bhojpuri ma kahanwa padega ka?

Edited by dwai

Feel free to think whatever you like. Mere jeb se paisa thodi na ja raha hai? Tum apni iccha ke malik ho, so chahey uska uchit vyavahar karo, chahey anuchit.

Vyarth jo apna samay gawa ta hai

wohi moorkh kehlata hai

Exactly. This is Hindi. Hindi people of the north follow a reformed Hinduism based off European orientalism.

Exactly. This is Hindi. Hindi people of the north follow a reformed Hinduism based off European orientalism.

Poda! Thirrai porraki!

కోల్పోతాయి

Edited by dwai