Photo
- - - - -

Clicking and tapping sounds during meditation..

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#17 idiot_stimpy

idiot_stimpy

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

During meditation I have heard clicking/popping/cracking sounds coming from the inside of my head. It is extremely similar to the sound when a chiropractor does an adjustment on your neck. 

I have not heard these sounds for quite awhile and was more prevalent when I first started meditation.

My question is, are you sure the sounds are coming outside of you? I can tell, mine were originating inside my body.

#18 ChiForce

ChiForce

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Maybe the question was not clear enough. I am not saying that you are imagining the noises and sounds. 

Did you try to take a break from your night meditation routine, and then restarting it after maybe a week or so? If not, would you consider giving that a go and then see what takes place upon resuming the night meditations? Or, is this a ritual for you, that you cannot forego the habit of meditating at night? If you can't even put it down for a few days, if i were you, i would question why this is so. What i am trying to rule out is perhaps some external disturbance(s) may be enticing you into some unhealthy patterns. Have you given this any thought? 

Maybe you have tried it before, if so, it was not clearly stated in your post, hence i am asking. 

Nah, there is no need to stop meditating because of the noise phenomena.  I am not meditating because of the noise.  I am meditating because I want to reach to another stage of Samadhi.  :)  Two, hopefully, I would gain enough mind clarify to move forward with my life.  There is no need for me to stop meditating.  I am not experiencing Chi Kung psychosis.  Two, my chi isn't hot and so it won't damage my mind by meditating too long and too often.  

#19 ChiForce

ChiForce

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

During meditation I have heard clicking/popping/cracking sounds coming from the inside of my head. It is extremely similar to the sound when a chiropractor does an adjustment on your neck. 

I have not heard these sounds for quite awhile and was more prevalent when I first started meditation.

My question is, are you sure the sounds are coming outside of you? I can tell, mine were originating inside my body.

Doubt it because the sound don't happen all the time even though I have reached a higher degree of the micro-cosmic orbit in my morning meditation.  I can hear my own internal chakras vibrations though.  That, those are internal.  I can hear them in any where and in any time.  I can hear them in 4 distinct frequencies. 

#20 C T

C T

Gap Bum

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5512 posts
  • Interests:Ephemeralism

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Nah, there is no need to stop meditating because of the noise phenomena.  I am not meditating because of the noise.  I am meditating because I want to reach to another stage of Samadhi.  :)  Two, hopefully, I would gain enough mind clarify to move forward with my life.  There is no need for me to stop meditating.  I am not experiencing Chi Kung psychosis.  Two, my chi isn't hot and so it won't damage my mind by meditating too long and too often.  

Ah, ok, its apparent you have it all sussed out then. Sorry to have wasted your time. 

Om svabhava shuddha sarva dharma svabhava shuddho 'ham!
Om shunyata jnana vajra svabhava atmako 'ham! 
Om ah hum hra phat!
Om muni muni mahamuni Shakyamuniye svaha! 

Appearances are mind, mind is emptiness, emptiness is spontaneous presence, spontaneous presence is self-liberation.
(9th Karmapa)

The objects perceived by sentient beings 

are like the appearance of illusions;

Sentient beings themselves are in the nature of illusion

they all arise through dependent origination. - Nagarjuna

#21 idiot_stimpy

idiot_stimpy

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Doubt it because the sound don't happen all the time even though I have reached a higher degree of the micro-cosmic orbit in my morning meditation.  I can hear my own internal chakras vibrations though.  That, those are internal.  I can hear them in any where and in any time.  I can hear them in 4 distinct frequencies. 

The sound didn't happen to me all the time. Sometimes there were pops, mostly not. At the start, in a 30 minute meditation session, I would hear around 1 to 2 pops. Depending on how deep I went, there was also a rushing of wind in the ears. I had no control over these phenomena, it seemed to me they're just a bi product of meditation.

#22 rex

rex

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

When I moved to a new house I started getting clicking sounds when meditating. On one occasion these were accompanied by a gentle breeze with moving ceiling lights even though the windows were closed and it was still outside.  I put it down to either a 'presence' who shared the same space or unseen visitors popping in to check the new interloper out. The clicking was accompanied by the distinct feeling of being buzzed by something.

#23 Birch

Birch

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6002 posts
  • Interests:Whatever works

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

I know that everything in my house makes a hell of more of a noise when I meditate in it.

We could talk refrigeration compressors at length. :ph34r:

"Chi is free!"- "Don't give your chi to your practice" Both unknown, if you know where these come from, let me know!

#24 Fu_doggy

Fu_doggy

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Flying Phoenix Qigong since November 2009, Meditation, Taoism

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

ChiForce -  

Very interesting!

I have actually experienced a tapping very similar to what you have described.   For several years.     

And the cause of this tapping would be shy in daylight, only manifest itself at night.   It would also be shy if I looked in it's direction (i.e., when you look in its direction it would stop immediately).   So, I eventually came to the conclusion that the cause of this tapping was not particularly strong or bold.  

So, it's nothing to be afraid of, but I understand it can be annoying.    

My best advice is to either ignore it, or if it's a bit too bothersome then you can take steps to stop what's causing it.  For example, lighting a sandlewood incense in the area you meditate, while you are meditating may stop it.    It may be as simple as that.    

But if it's stubborn and you want to make it go away, this could take the help of a Buddhist monk or someone experienced with these things.

In my case I rarely hear the tapping anymore.  But last year I had an experience for about six months with something that was doing much more than tapping!   Much more bothersome.   ;-)      I eventually talked to some people in the know and took some rather gentle steps to cause it to cease.  But I would have taken stronger steps had it not stopped pestering me.   

I talked to several meditation masters and they told me these experiences are actually much more common than most people would think.   

I don't want to say any more about this subject in this post, but I hope I have given you enough info to be of some value to you.   

And regardless, stay with your meditation practice....don't stop it because of the tapping sounds.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users