gatito

Tao Bums Friends List

I've been thinking about how I can continue to come here and make this as much as possible like real-life meetings with like-minded friends.

I see some scope for the use of our Friends Lists in that respect - if I manage it appropriately.

I'd welcome everyone's thoughts on this.

I have a few of my own which I'll share in due course.

• Like 2

Interesting seed idea for brain-storming! :)

Certainly a major growing-pain that TTBs has been experiencing for quite a while is that there are just too many people, and so with so many voices any thread so easily turns into chaos. Frustrating. So, I suspect the general idea that you're offering for exploration is the option to limit replies to those in one's "friends list".... either in one's PPF (or perhaps *gasp*, even in the more public areas - at the option of the original poster). It's an idea worth exploring.

In response to a ? you posted elsewhere (whether to leave or stay), I have some random thoughts.

TTBs is not an end-in-itself: it should lead to other things and, when those other things are discovered, participation in TTBs naturally diminishes some (probably doesn't stop entirely).

My main thought on this is that the existence of TTBs suggests a local cultural lack in general. ie, that there is a lack of local interaction for "Tao bums". Having an e-community is not enough. Participation in TTBs should lead to other interaction. Either with other like-minded students local to the individuals, in-person. That can show up in lots of different ways, but gaurunteed it won't be as convenient as an e-forum. :D .. but really, really important, imo.

As well as connecting with teachers and schools of interest.

Re: teachers and schools, Sean mentioned a while back that he sees TTBs more like a cafeteria than a class room. I think that comparison is apt, says a lot. Many people come here looking for quality resources (teachers, schools, dvds, books, etc) and, once found, it's important to spend dedicated quality time "in class". However that shows up. Again, lots of ways to do it. Again, really important.

- Trunk

• Like 5

This time of day I like to read a little Blake ... and I hit upon this memorable fantasy:

"So the Angel said: thy phantasy has imposed upon me & thou oughtest to be ashamed.

I answer'd: we impose on one another, & it is but lost time to converse with you whose works are only Analytics.

Opposition is true Friendship."

One of the other reasons I hang at TTB's is that it's likely I'll come across stuff I probably wouldn't if I restricted myself to a specific circle. Or even (and this is bad) the Google filter.

I don't want to get more involved in any 'spiritual' group than this (although I'm looking at some atheist/secular groups where I live) and while I see the formation of 'like-minded' groups an interesting development for a big forum, I dunno if that's not on it's way to being served by the several subsections. I think there might be some subsections missing, specifically Taoist ones (5E, Feng Shui, etc) but when I'm not on the TTB's I'm doing regular old things like meeting friends, working, reading, making food.

I use the ignore list for people I know I don't want to read. I suppose that yes, a PPF mod could do stuff like create mini groups of people, might be worth it for the teaching aspect. That could be cool. TTB's could offer teachers who don't have the web-Fu a way to easily have a private/semi-private forum for their teaching.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback so far. :)

I'm in the process of changing my ISP at the moment - so I guess I'll see y'all in a few days time. :)

So far, my experiments with the Friends List seems to be working well and I'll update this thread later.

• Like 1

I am on another forum where clubs within the forum can be formed. Perhaps this is a possibility with your friends list.

• Like 2

I am on another forum where clubs within the forum can be formed. Perhaps this is a possibility with your friends list.

I think not...

However, what eventually made it possible to use this forum was Owner Permissions.

Nice one Taomeow!

Edited by gatito
  • Like 1

Thanks for the contrary pts of view (sincerely). Always good to hear other angles; one person can never say it all. And I'm curious what Gatito's ideas are, once he gets re-e-set-up.

One scaled down version of this that popped to mind is the possibility of easily "inviting" groups of people (friends list, for example) to join in a thread - without necessarily restricting access from others. It could work similar to notifications or pms, something like that. For instance, if I were to start a thread on bagua, there's three people that pop to mind that I'd want to "invite" to the thread... but I don't really want to bother to send 3 different pm's to invite 'em. If I could just tag 'em from my friends list when making the original post, that'd be cool. They could get some minimal on-board notification that they'd been invited to a thread.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I can't communicate what interests me in writing and it's very difficult to tell where people are coming from unless they're prepared to look me in the eye. :)

As I've said elsewhere 80% of communication is lost in a phonecall so there can really be very little left in the written word and there is just too much scope for misunderstandings, of which I think there have been far too many.

So, my conclusion is that I can't manage the friends list as I would in real life and I've spent more than enough time at the keyboard trying so to do.

I met my wife at a dance class and our friendship grew and blossomed into love in the real world. It would never have happened in writing - perhaps that says it all?

That's where friendships happen too, in face-to-face meetings with people who share similar interests and and sadly, there seems to be little desire for face-to-face meetings here, so I'm calling it a day - unless anyone wants to meetup fror a coffee, tea or a beer, in which case, just PM me and we can arrange to get together. :) (And, as I've just run out of coffee, I'm leaving now to get some :) ).

So, in closing, all the best to all Tao Bums past, present and future.

I've enjoyed my time here immensely and met many interesting people and broadened my musical tastes considerably - LOL

Finally, sincere thanks to sean and the Mod Squad.

Warmest regards and Best Wishes to all of you.

Be Happy

G :)

And here's a poem for you all: -

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what Peace there may be in Silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about Love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
You have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with the Tao, whatever you conceive The Tao to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful.

Strive to be Happy.

• Like 2

and just like that the little cat prances off ?

it is a wonderful post gatito. on the path, there are always comings and goings.

sometimes cats do get curious tho and maybe they come back to check on us from time to time.

your star burns bright and clear. be safe and happy

• Like 1

Returning to TTB today after all winter off-line - I found a 'friend request' from gatito dated back in Feb. After clicking Approve, I went to his profile and now see I'm his only friend...not sure whether to laugh or cry so I'll just grin and hope maybe gatito comes back. I'd like to say hi to him and thank him for wanting to be friends with me. (-:

• Like 1

This is a bit tangental but I think the best way to get together with friends on the Bums is to do it with the Chat function. Conversing in real time adds an intimacy that normal topic replies lack. When you see people you know online, send them a PM you're going to the Chat feature and if they're interested to meet you there.

In the old days a member would highly recommend a teacher and on occasion there'd be collective road trips to see them. I'm thinking Max Kunlun and Ya Mu's Stillness-Movement practice.

Guest Jason Croft

I think that if you are patient; you may discover more herein than you think, from Newcastle, NSW, Australia, when it floods ,,,

• Like 1

I think that if you are patient; you may discover more herein than you think, from Newcastle, NSW, Australia, when it floods ,,,

Patience, I've already learnt patience, now what are you hinting at ;)

Guest Jason Croft

Jason Croft, on 07 Apr 2013 - 23:39, said:snapback.png

Patience, I've already learnt patience, now what are you hinting at ;)

The objective side of patience:~to see it at work.

No Hinting Involved.

Guest Jason Croft

This is a bit tangental but I think the best way to get together with friends on the Bums is to do it with the Chat function. Conversing in real time adds an intimacy that normal topic replies lack. When you see people you know online, send them a PM you're going to the Chat feature and if they're interested to meet you there.

In the old days a member would highly recommend a teacher and on occasion there'd be collective road trips to see them. I'm thinking Max Kunlun and Ya Mu's Stillness-Movement practice.

I'm thinking: fugitive from the landlocked Ark at low tide.

Well, I'm sort-of back....in Guest mode :)

I abandoned the Friends List as a tool for moderating my discussions and I guess I'll see what happens next - if anything :)

And thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts - I'm left with the idea that TTB would do much better if there were spin-off Meetup Groups around the world for people to meet physically

And thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts - I'm left with the idea that TTB would do much better if there were spin-off Meetup Groups around the world for people to meet physically

I'm working on that very idea. :)

I'll be producing a few documents to facilitate that process.

... several for free, several at minimal cost,

through John Dao Productions. :)

Also, there are some ideas in the background that Sean has voiced, possibilities based on the 'like' button ... that allow people to see the posts w/ the most 'likes' ... within a thread, or over a period of time (week, month, etc). Ways to efficiently read for quality, based on members' assessment of quality. Not sure if / when it will happen ... but there are ideas in that general direction. We know the downsides of TTBs current format and are exploring ways to remedy.

• Like 2

Great! It will be very interesting to see which of the Bums are Live-Bums and which are only Cyber-Bums :)

Coming back to the Valve Handbook: I think that there is now an excellent group of Mods in place - coupled with excellent leadership and that any changes in staff should take into account the recruitment principles set out in the handbook.

The Taobums stands or falls on the basis of its admin and moderator skillset. Also, it should be borne in mind that it takes a minimum of 6 months to bed-in to a new job (or to integrate any other major change), so I really hope that the current set-up will have the chance to stabillise and mature now.

Three mods mentored by an active admin would sem to me to be an ideal set-up and I very much hope (and expect) that it will work out.

Best Wishes to you all

g

• Like 2

Speaking of Live Bums. I couldn't find the Google Member map thread that had pins on a world wide map of tb'ers (who'd given there location). If anyone can find the the thread, why don't they bump it.

Friends list, eh? I dunno. I'm already pretty sidetracked just looking to see if my posts are "liked" or not. The prospect of a formal "friendship" process (and by implication a formal "I don't wanna be your friend" process)sounds like a little much. Right now I have the luxury of imagining that lots of the people I like and respect here would like to be my friend only, opps, they can't because there's no such feature. I'd hate to see that illusion squashed.

Time flies and flies like bananas. Friends come and go; "likes" come and go. Permanence is not one of the attributes of life.

A lot of people join things like "Facebook" just to see how many friends they can collect. A simple ego thing. But then, if a person's ego needs a boost then that would help, I suppose.

For a long time I didn't even use the "Like" function because if a post touched me I would respond with a post and put it all out in the street. But then for some reason I decided to start using it.

Of course, there are many threads I don't even look at so even if a member made a post that I would have thought was inspering, not having read it there would be no way I could "Like" it.

Just be true to yourself and at least you can like you.

• Like 1