Mokona

Pit Bulls, do they get a bad rap?

http://www.tampabay.com/features/pets/pit-bull-dog-isnt-an-aggressive-breed-this-owner-teaches/1271217

Finney, along with his 6-year-old pit bull named Samantha, has been on a crusade to educate folks about the "bad rap" of the breed ever since he adopted her three years ago.

My sister and fiance stopped by with a Red/Blue PB mix last year. It was a completely friendly dog. I've never personally seen one act in a dangerous manner, but would like to hear from other TBer's. Thanks all.

• Like 1

They are iconic old time poor people's dogs. Very loyal, strong and fierce, so old time wanderers would have them for companionship, protection, hunting and they even could pull a cart. Probably no reason for anyone to have them in our safe, ordered and carefully regulated modern society.

Every single pit bull I have met was well taken care of and of genuinely good disposition. Nurture wins.

• Like 1

Gotta pipe in on the other side here.

My 40# border collie was attacked twice in his life, both times by pit bulls.

Once was a dispute over some small tidbit in the road, I didn't see the beginning. The pit had got out of his fence, and had been in many fights before, mine hadn't, so the owners paid the vet bills that time.

The second time, an unknown 70# pit bull that lived half a mile away across a large hill, attacked my border collie in my carport.

If I hadn't been home, my dog would have been killed. Caught totally by surprise, I ran out and grabbed the pit by her rump and her collar. That was a really stupid thing to do I found out, but I was lucky, didn't get bit, and saved my dog. I lifted both the pit and my dog totally off the ground (adrenalin is amazing), but the pit wouldn't let go of my dog's leg, even with my dog biting her face. Eventually she let go of my dog. She was bleeding all over her face, and my dog had big holes in his legs that took weeks to heal.

My neighbor told me that pits are trained to fight by disabling a dog's legs and then going in for the kill.

This dog, "Sugar", turns out, was a rescue, of unknown origin. My neighbor claimed she must have flunked out of fight training. A kind soul adopted her, but let her run loose. Other dogs in the neighborhood had been killed or mauled, but no one knew who was doing it. After we cracked down on "Sugar" and her owner (found by the rabies tag on Sugar's collar), and the owner had to pay some major vet bills for my dog, those maulings ceased.

If you want a pit, I'd make sure you've met the parents, or at least are very sure the dog has never been anywhere near fight training, or even came from a bloodline involved in fighting. To her credit, Sugar never bit me. She clearly felt differently about the men who came to help when they heard me screaming. It's one of the scariest thing that's happened to me in recent history. I feel sorry for pits, but would never own one.

• Like 1

Thank you for the comments, it's a curiosity of mine becuase I've only ever met one pit in person(she was a very good dog) but I hear horrible stories all the time. Maulings, killings... Maybe it is a genetic thing, but i'd assume that a good family can change a dog's habits for best. You teach an animal while it's young, right?

• Like 1

I think people on both sides have a point. They can be loveable wonderful dogs strong loyal and intelligent. Lets be honest though breeds have certain characteristics. Like any dog it can be a noble companion, but they were bred to be watch and sadly fighting dogs. They bite harder and flip meaner. My friend had a beloved Japanese Akita; beautiful dog, but bred to be so fiercely loyal to his family that it didn't like anyone else, even other dogs. I've heard other Akita owners also saddened by there dogs lack of friendliness to others. Maybe it could trained out, but it seems to be an inbred trait, one for a perfect house guard it was bred to be.

I don't think pit bulls <or any spirited watch/fighting breed> should be anyones first dog, owners should be experienced and extra watchful and probably buy from reputable breeders. I could understand if a town had restrictions or extra insurance needed to own one.

From Pitbull411.com: "While the pit bull does indeed possess a feisty and spirited character, the history of the breed reveals a much more complex tapestry of temperament and personality.

Like many modern breeds, it is impossible to be completely sure of the details of the American Pit Bull Terrier's long history. However, many pit bull enthusiasts believe the origins of the breed can be traced back to antiquity and the Molossian family of dogs. The Molossian family of dogs bears the name of the people with whom they were most often associated - the Molossi tribe, a group of people who lived in ancient Greece and favored the use of robust, muscular dogs in warfare. Officially termed canus molossi (dogs of the Molossi), these animals were reknowned for their fierceness, and for their innate ability to intimidate the enemies of the tribe...

<not to end on bad note> The negative treatment of pit bulls in our society is unfortunate to say the least. Pit bulls and people can live harmoniously if given the chance. Training is an important consideration in pit bull ownership. The history of the breed demonstrates that unless he is properly trained and socialized at a young age, this strong-minded dog will quickly attempt to dominate the household. However, with the proper training the American Pit Bull Terrier can be a remarkably loyal and valued member of the family."

<me, this is going back over a thousand years, there are so many types and sizes of pit bull its very inexact term>

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

I've met nice pit bulls, that will lick you to death if they are raised by kind people.

However a girl in my town had her face literally ripped off by mean pit bulls. Literally ripped her face off.

I'd much rather own a golden retriever or a lab if I was going to buy a dog.

• Like 1

No bad dogs only bad owners.

In my county, Clifford Wright was a Pit Bull advocate,...know throughout the State as a great dog owner. His Pit Bull killed him.

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2012/05/pit-bull-suspected-in-mauling-death-of.html

I see dogs as neither good or bad,...however, each breed has certain inbreed temperments. Most dogs are inherently compelled to know their order in the food chain. Although many dogs will be instinctually aware of alpha order, pit bulls are more prone than most to physically do something about it,...like kill the opposition at the first sign of weakness.

Clifford Wright mentioned above, was a loving pit bull owner, and the alpha of his household. As he stooped over to care for his yard, his favorite, loyal pit bull, killed him in an attempt to take over as the alpha.

Most fatalities by dog breed are pit bulls,....most pit bull caused fatalities occurred by dogs with excellent owners.

In the US, about 4.7 million people are bitten by dogs each year and more than half of the victims are children, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. About 800,000 people seek medical attention for the bites.

That's 4.7 million acts of terrorism.

After children ages 5 to 9 years old, seniors represent the largest group at risk, followed by letter carriers.

Children are are target of dogs because they play with dogs as their equals, whereas to the dogs, the dogs are competing for alpha status. For seniors, their fraility is the motive.

About 5,600 U.S. Postal Service letter carriers were attacked by dogs each of the last two years, said Los Angeles spokesman Richard Maher.

Anyway,...there are zillions of facts and statistics available. So I'll expand on the subject, and ask you GrandmasterP....

First,...what would a world of peace look like? Would there be Beware of Dogs signs, or unpredictable dogs breeds terrorizing people? In a world at peace, what would be the yearly death toll by pit bulls and other vicious breeds?

Would a consider person own a vicious, unpredictable dog breed? Who owns attack dogs? Would a Grandmaster own a vicious, unpredictable dog genetically bred to lock its jaws around its victim? Or would a Grandmaster be inclined to have a gentle companion dog, that never shows up on a "death, injury, or terrorism by dog list."

How can any Heartful person own a dog for protection? The terror their dog(s) cause others, in itself is the opposite of Heartfulness, peace, and the Tao.

Edited by Vmarco

From Pitbull411.com: "While the pit bull does indeed possess a feisty and spirited character, the history of the breed reveals a much more complex tapestry of temperament and personality.

Like many modern breeds, it is impossible to be completely sure of the details of the American Pit Bull Terrier's long history. However, many pit bull enthusiasts believe the origins of the breed can be traced back to antiquity and the Molossian family of dogs. The Molossian family of dogs bears the name of the people with whom they were most often associated - the Molossi tribe, a group of people who lived in ancient Greece and favored the use of robust, muscular dogs in warfare. Officially termed canus molossi (dogs of the Molossi), these animals were reknowned for their fierceness, and for their innate ability to intimidate the enemies of the tribe...

<not to end on bad note> The negative treatment of pit bulls in our society is unfortunate to say the least. Pit bulls and people can live harmoniously if given the chance. Training is an important consideration in pit bull ownership. The history of the breed demonstrates that unless he is properly trained and socialized at a young age, this strong-minded dog will quickly attempt to dominate the household. However, with the proper training the American Pit Bull Terrier can be a remarkably loyal and valued member of the family."

<me, this is going back over a thousand years, there are so many types and sizes of pit bull its very inexact term>

Listening to Pit Bull apologists for factual info on vicious breeds is like getting facts about politics from FOX News.

The Lynn, Massachusetts pit bull ordinance got it right,..."pit bulls as "dangerous animals" with "powerful instincts for dominance" and "unyielding aggressiveness." But in Hawaii, the so-called Aloha State, Pit Bull regulations have been defeated, and Pit Bull ownership, already the highest per capita in the US, is on the rise.

Fed up with numerous attacks on children, Base Housing of the US Armed Forces bans pit bulls and rottweilers.

Germany has begun banning Vicious Breeds,...putting their communities before the fear-based desires of neurotic, inconsiderate individuals who want these breeds.

1 in 60 Americans are attacked by a dog(s) every year,...thus, in the last 10 years, over 50,000,000 Americans have been attacked by dogs,...92% being by 8 vicious dog breeds.

The State of Maryland recently declared that pit bulls and pit bull hybrids are "inherently dangerous."

The pit bull terrier is the breed of choice for criminals.

In the US, between 2000 and 2011, Pit Bulls were reported in up to 53% of all attacks

Worldwide, there are more than 500 dog breeds.

Edited by Vmarco

judging dogs by their breed is no different than judging humans by their hair color, skin color, or BMI.

Likewise, if you are stupid enough to agitate the dog, then you are stupid enough to be a victim of a dog attack, regardless of the breed.

Pits are no less compassionate and loving dogs than retrievers or beagels. more than beagels actually i tihnk... never had a pit piss on my bedding... even while i was homeless the pit was more respectful of me than the domesticated beagels! :D

Should we start banning black gang bangers as well as pits? it's the same thing. Black gang bangers are a vicious breed of human, arent they?

I'll just come out and say it, If I were the king/dictator of a small nation, eugenics would be practiced via selective breeding.

Only the top 25% in terms of IQ would be allowed to breed, and they would be required to and be paid to produce enough kids to maintain zero population growth.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

judging dogs by their breed is no different than judging humans by their hair color, skin color, or BMI.

That's ridiculous! Is that not like saying 53% of all murderers have 3 nipples. The facts are that out of more than 500 dog breeds, Pit Bulls are involved in 53% of attacks on people. It is said that 1 out of 500 people have 3 nipples.

The way it is, is this,...no considerate person would own a Pit Bull. Only ignorant, inconsiderate, fear-based people own Pit Bulls. Of course, Pit Bull owners and apologists don't want to hear that. But numbers are numbers.

If all dogs were equal, less than 1% of all dog attacks would be by Pit Bulls. So why is the real number 53%

Should we start banning black gang bangers as well as pits? it's the same thing. Black gang bangers are a vicious breed of human, arent they?

No,...so-called black gangbangers are merely a by-product of vulture capitalist conservatives,....start banning conservatives, and World Peace may be close behind.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Society/Conservatives_Deconstruct.html

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 1

or maybe it's like saying how many white people destroyed this many civilizations and how many they put under slavery with money or weapons

WELP, I GUESS I'LL GO GET A TAN lol

No,...so-called black gangbangers are merely a by-product of vulture capitalist conservatives,....start banning conservatives, and World Peace may be close behind.

Then maybe you can tell me how that is different than relying on statistics to support the ban of a breed instead of the cause of the "bad" breed.

I tend to stick by nature and not fuck with her.

Would pits be anywhere near as vicious if they werent trained by humans to fight?

Just the same as the black gang bangers huh???????????(question mark)

• Like 1

I'll just come out and say it, If I were the king/dictator of a small nation, eugenics would be practiced via selective breeding.

Only the top 25% in terms of IQ would be allowed to breed, and they would be required to and be paid to produce enough kids to maintain zero population growth.

I don't think you'd last long there chief. A good chance one of the 'dumb' ones <castrated?> or even 'smart' ones would do you in. Dictators tend to go down hard.

• Like 1

Those who think banning the 'other' side will bring peace and prosperity are usually sorely disappointed. Its happened through out history whether its outlawing another religion, all religion, the educated, the elites, the rich, the liberals, the conservatives ect. it usually goes up in flames as extremist elements fill the gap left by the elimination. Assuming the other side is the cause of all the problems is way too simplistic.

Sadly We are the problem.

• Like 1