Jeff

Stages of Progression/Enlightenment

There have been a few threads lately that have touched on signposts or stages of Enlightenment. Many will say that it is all indescribable, and ancient texts are open to vast differences of interpretation. While much of the path is beyond mind and words, at each “level” there are changes/things that everyone can understand. It is also not the same for everyone, but the following stages are a common progression. The following information is compiled from discussions with 4 self-declared “enlightened” individuals, 2 primordial (Dzogchen-like) masters and my own experience.

1. Normal State – Wandering mind. Some will often have 3-6 (or more) threads/dialogs of thought jumping around.
  2. Temporary One Thread – In meditation, one quiets to one focused thread (as in mantra or concentration). At this state, one may begin to notice energy (if looking for it).
  3. Temporary quiet mind – One can begin to see/trace thoughts.
  4. Stable quiet meditation – One can perceive the nature/energy of mind. Can perceive astral experiences.
  5. Expansion of quiet mind to normal life – One begins to “see themselves” doing things. An example is seeing yourself getting angry, but can’t stop yourself.
  6. Quiet mind in life – Usually only one thread going, sometimes no threads. Can see and stop yourself from getting angry.
  7. Calm mind – No real thoughts unless there is something to do/decide. Meditation and life are the same. (McKenna books 1&2). Often described as nothingness. Many stop here and declare victory.
  8. Noticing Oneness – Something “tickles” the calm mind. Curiosity returns. (McKenna book 3). Begin to break beyond the local body-mind.
  9. See Oneness – Feels like every soul is inside you. Begin integration with existence.
  10. Oneness – Can feel everyone and everything. Begin building rainbow/light body. At this level, a master can send mind-to-mind knowledge/transmissions and do lots of stuff.
  11. Oneness beyond time – Can perceive parallel realities and beyond time.
  12. Primordial State – Level of Prophets/Buddhas. Completion of rainbow/light body. Integration with God/Existence/Emptiness. Depending on your perspective, gone or do whatever you want.

I hope you find this useful (or at least interesting :) ). Happy to discuss.

Enjoy the moment (and the week).

:)

• Like 4

Hi Jeff.

I am not sure to what extent your list is meant to reflect a linearly ordered development, but for my part I am convinced that the process of spiritual development proceeds on several different axes at once.

Even speaking of purely "mental" enlightenment, I have read so many accounts of experiences and progressions that I can only account for by postulating two separate axis of development: realizing luminosity and realizing emptiness. Different experiences an progressions are then different zig-zags in a plane of realization, rather than one-dimensional progression on a line.

Then there are other aspects of development emphasized by other paths. Things like awakening to one's energy body, one's multi-dimensional nature, contacting and integrating all the various levels of one's being all the way up to one's personal spiritual essence. (This is not the same thing as Atman or Buddha-mind, because it is particular to you, as a multidimensional manifestation). This is the type of development that is what Taoism is primarily concerned with, as well as other shamanically rooted paths. I think this fundamental difference in orientation was a big cause of misunderstanding between Taoists and Buddhists in China.

One can be very advanced in "mental enlightenment" and be relatively un-developed in "shamanic enlightenment" (other possible names for this: energy enlightenment, ecological enlightenment), and also vice-versa. Some who emphasize mental enlightenment would strongly object to assigning importance to shamanic enlightenment (e.g. Zen, Neo-Advaita), and might label this type of thing as "New Age" (like the guys you talked to on dharmawheel, for instance). For me, I think that it is absolutely crucial for our development as a species and as a planet, crucial to our being responsible citizens in this universe.

Edited by Creation
  • Like 2

Hi Creation,

You raise some very good points. All of the listed levels can be directly translated to developments in the energy body. I did not include those descriptions, as many people do not perceive the energy body. I know two people who have gone all the way to Calm mind (7) and never experienced any energy/mystical component. Mystical/Spiritual components happen at all levels, but once one reaches Noticing Oneness (8), there is no way you can deny it any longer. Additionally, using terms like "reaching the soul" tend to be tradition/culture specific. My goal was to try to create a generic roadmap that anyone could use.

If anyone is interested, I would happy to add energy body descriptions to the various levels.

I have received some requests for the energy body descriptions to be added. Perceptions of the energy body are more challenging to discuss generically, because everyone's mind "translates" the perceptions differently. In many ways, it is like trying to describe the color "red". Hues are seen differently, intensities vary and some people are effectively color blind. Given my "disclaimer", I will try to describe the various levels and be chakra/DT independent...

1. Normal State – Nothing is usually noticed. Sometime sense of hot/cold.
  2. Temporary One Thread – Begin to feel tingles or vibrations in the body.
  3. Temporary quiet mind – Can feel the “movement” of energy. Notice chakras or DTs.
  4. Stable quiet meditation – Begin to notice “obstructions” in the flow of energy. Feel/see chakras/DTs in energy body. With practice, can begin to see auras.
  5. Expansion of quiet mind to normal life – Significant control over energy flows. Become more resistant to sickness. Unconsciously feel energy in others. Most chakras open.
  6. Quiet mind in life – All chakras open. The chakras start to “merge”. Less distinct chakra feeling. Can consciously perceive energy in others and surroundings.
  7. Calm mind – Body/mind energy field integrates and collapses. No meaningful energy feeling.
  8. Noticing Oneness – Moving beyond mind. Begin to perceive light/spiritual/cosmic/existence energy. Energy body feels like every cell is vibrating in harmony. Way better than sex/drugs.
  9. See Oneness – Beyond Mind. Perceive/feel light/spiritual/cosmic/existence energy and that it is all one. No longer perceive/worry about astral stuff.
  10. Oneness – Building light body. Beyond astral perception. On the astral level, the light body looks like a blob/ball of light. Can connect/merge/oneness to any being and send transmit energy/knowledge. Directly contact light bodies of divine beings.
  11. Oneness beyond time – More powerful light body. Feel/contact parallel versions of your self. Access/effect Karma. Contact “higher” divine beings. Unconsciously feel primordial state/God.
  12. Primordial State – Access primordial state outside existence/time. Complete light/rainbow body.

Again, happy to discuss. Also, I would appreciate anyone's additional descriptions.

• Like 2

Good topic Jeff.

You are describing some levels but certainly there are some techniques required to pass from one state to other. These techniques should be related with chakras, however, unfortunately, almost all the chakra information available on the market comes from the negative source. It is really a difficult problem. It requires dedication and to submit or to surrender yourself to God Almighty and prayers.

• Like 1

Hi Recep,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. There are many good paths to move forward and each of the "levels" was just an attempt to give signposts along the way. Many seem to get "stuck", unconsciously holding on to the local body-mind.

As to paths, I would agree that "infinite surrender" is the way to go.

verry interesting! but from my own experience, i have experienced all you mentioned but not in that order. and i think it has to do with ppls development and state of mind and being, also with their knowledge. as the unibrow guy mentioned there are some techniques required to pass from one state to other. and as creation mentioned, I am convinced that the process of spiritual development proceeds on several different axes at once. this is because of individual development and knowledge attained/recieved/available.

Hi Merceless One,

If your experience and order have been different, I would appreciate if you would share the differences. Many also skip or don't notice/percieve certain steps. Also, when you say that you have experienced all of the levels, as you saying that you are a equivalent to a "Buddha"?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Dunno about a Taoist take on it but I can see where Jeff is coming from with that list.

If that's what happens for some cultivators and in that order then fair enough and if someone is teaching that particular series-method then having a planned series in list form makes sense because the students can check their progress against the list and see where they are up to.

A lot of these proprietary cultivation systems on sale do much the same thing, sort of...'If this... then that' and so on.

Other cultivators and some teachers don't use a linear approach at all, more a sort of intuitive 'customised' way designed to meet individual needs. Horses for courses and what suits one learner does not necessarily suit another so the more ways there are out there the wider the menu each learner has to choose from.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Hi Jeff,

How interesting! :)

Would you believe i have actually not charted the progress of my own path in any determined fashion at all? Haha...

I just practice the basic teachings over and over, and sometimes do a bit of cross-reference with some texts which i have gathered over the years. To be honest, i have no great attainments. So i guess i am still at level 1, maybe 1 and a half, even then, it could simply be a conceited, exaggerated guess.

But i can see how this could be helpful to inquiring minds. Many practitioners are quite concerned with progress. I guess i am not as diligent compared to others, and certainly have not gained the insight necessary for a deep enough understanding to intelligently comment on the 2 charts you have posted.

Perhaps when i make a little progress i will come back and say something useful here.

Thank you for taking the time, and the effort, to put this up for reference. I am sure it is very much appreciated.

Blessings!

Hi Jeff,

How interesting! :)

Would you believe i have actually not charted the progress of my own path in any determined fashion at all? Haha...

I just practice the basic teachings over and over, and sometimes do a bit of cross-reference with some texts which i have gathered over the years. To be honest, i have no great attainments. So i guess i am still at level 1, maybe 1 and a half, even then, it could simply be a conceited, exaggerated guess.

But i can see how this could be helpful to inquiring minds. Many practitioners are quite concerned with progress. I guess i am not as diligent compared to others, and certainly have not gained the insight necessary for a deep enough understanding to intelligently comment on the 2 charts you have posted.

Perhaps when i make a little progress i will come back and say something useful here.

Thank you for taking the time, and the effort, to put this up for reference. I am sure it is very much appreciated.

Blessings!

Hi CT,

I am sure that you would have much useful to say on the topic and look forward to hearing more from you on it.

I originally put together the list at the request of a friend from another forum. As my own path has been sort of non-denominational, I attempted to describe the progression in terms and stages that could cross paths. The delineations were arbitrarily made up by me into bite size stages/descriptions. Also, it has been a while, so i should probably get around to updating and revising it with all I have learned from hanging around here.

Blessings to you also. :)

Captain - Thank you for the kind words. If at 11, why not 12.

Spotless - nothing but clarity... And deeper down the rabbit hole... :)

(Format issue)

Edited by Jeff

Is twelve the number of completion?

No. Twelve is sort of the historical limit of what the human form could support. Or, maybe a better way to describe it is that levels 11 and 12 should be further expanded in detail to create a more refined picture.

Hi Merceless One,

If your experience and order have been different, I would appreciate if you would share the differences. Many also skip or don't notice/percieve certain steps. Also, when you say that you have experienced all of the levels, as you saying that you are a equivalent to a "Buddha"?

Thanks.

I have received some requests for the energy body descriptions to be added. Perceptions of the energy body are more challenging to discuss generically, because everyone's mind "translates" the perceptions differently. In many ways, it is like trying to describe the color "red". Hues are seen differently, intensities vary and some people are effectively color blind. Given my "disclaimer", I will try to describe the various levels and be chakra/DT independent...

Normal State Nothing is usually noticed. Sometime sense of hot/cold.

Temporary One Thread Begin to feel tingles or vibrations in the body.

Temporary quiet mind Can feel the movement of energy. Notice chakras or DTs.

Stable quiet meditation Begin to notice obstructions in the flow of energy. Feel/see chakras/DTs in energy body. With practice, can begin to see auras.

Expansion of quiet mind to normal life Significant control over energy flows. Become more resistant to sickness. Unconsciously feel energy in others. Most chakras open.

Quiet mind in life All chakras open. The chakras start to merge. Less distinct chakra feeling. Can consciously perceive energy in others and surroundings.

Calm mind Body/mind energy field integrates and collapses. No meaningful energy feeling.

Noticing Oneness Moving beyond mind. Begin to perceive light/spiritual/cosmic/existence energy. Energy body feels like every cell is vibrating in harmony. Way better than sex/drugs.

See Oneness Beyond Mind. Perceive/feel light/spiritual/cosmic/existence energy and that it is all one. No longer perceive/worry about astral stuff.

Oneness Building light body. Beyond astral perception. On the astral level, the light body looks like a blob/ball of light. Can connect/merge/oneness to any being and send transmit energy/knowledge. Directly contact light bodies of divine beings.

Oneness beyond time More powerful light body. Feel/contact parallel versions of your self. Access/effect Karma. Contact higher divine beings. Unconsciously feel primordial state/God.

Primordial State Access primordial state outside existence/time. Complete light/rainbow body.

Again, happy to discuss. Also, I would appreciate anyone's additional descriptions

http://thetaobums.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

so to tell you of what ive learned based on experience with this: the first note and the most important one ( never settle always seek the best techniques available even if you have to create them yourself). all of these levels progress due to 3 things. knowledge, energy, and experience all of which is gained through learning, meditation, and use of the functions theirof. now to show a working model. you must meditate to gain experience meditating this will never change throuout your practice. it will always be a must. the more you learn about how to meditate you will can learn to (if your creative enough) simplify your meditations to a better working format. but this comes with experience. while gaining experience with learning and practicing what you learn you will learn how to tell what works and what dosent and on the other hand what works for specific purposes and for others. ( i see this alot on here ppl dont know what is used for what and swear by law that its the proper technique for enlightenment or immortality ) and in truth its not. enlightenment is an ongoing process as well as immortality. the truth is immortality will stop but enlightenment never will. immortality is a 16 step process that can span over 100 years or less. enlighetnment will go on for ever. to explain this further: depending on the ammount of energy you have certain abilities will be available, depending on your knowedge gained from study what you can do with your abilities can be maximized to higher potentials. also your experience with said ablilities will allow you to gain maximum efficency with your abilities.

• Like 1

so to tell you of what ive learned based on experience with this: the first note and the most important one ( never settle always seek the best techniques available even if you have to create them yourself). all of these levels progress due to 3 things. knowledge, energy, and experience all of which is gained through learning, meditation, and use of the functions theirof. now to show a working model. you must meditate to gain experience meditating this will never change throuout your practice. it will always be a must. the more you learn about how to meditate you will can learn to (if your creative enough) simplify your meditations to a better working format. but this comes with experience. while gaining experience with learning and practicing what you learn you will learn how to tell what works and what dosent and on the other hand what works for specific purposes and for others. ( i see this alot on here ppl dont know what is used for what and swear by law that its the proper technique for enlightenment or immortality ) and in truth its not. enlightenment is an ongoing process as well as immortality. the truth is immortality will stop but enlightenment never will. immortality is a 16 step process that can span over 100 years or less. enlighetnment will go on for ever. to explain this further: depending on the ammount of energy you have certain abilities will be available, depending on your knowedge gained from study what you can do with your abilities can be maximized to higher potentials. also your experience with said ablilities will allow you to gain maximum efficency with your abilities.

so after my kundalini awakened in my teenage years, i knew how to use different abilities, making it hot or cold, magnetic electric effects ect... the problem was i didnt have much energy and really didnt know how or where to get it. after researching meditation for a while i came across meditations that increase your energy and how to program the human biosphere/energy field. this is an example of knowledge. now the worst thing you can do with knowledge is ( not use it ). so after constant experimentation i gained lots of experience into the inner workings of the nervous system and the energy field and the body and how they work together. experience gave me energy which i could now use to maximisze my abilities and potential. now this was all before i learned to consiously (mix/fuse yin and yang). now another thing i want others to understand is *ENERGY* and how IMPORTANT IT IS! imagine hving the "STARSHIP ENTERPRISE" under your command but you cant even get it to move and its all because yo dont have enough power to undock it. i know its a startreck metaphore but bear with me lol. a magnificent ship with no power, thats what the average body is like. only enough energy to do its basic functions. communicate and look pretty lol. so meditation and moving meditation act like conduits for the body, absorbing and strengthening its energetic absorption and storing capibility. and depending on where you start on the tree of enlightenment will depend on the abilities you start with. learning will increase your seeing, doing will increase your energy ability and experience are affected by both.

• Like 1

12 is usually the number associated with the highest dimension of our reality. so by getting to that point yo have mastered reality.

Hi Merceless One,

12 was an arbitrary number that I used in steps. If I was to revise it, I would now probably use 16+ levels.

Also, on your energy point... I have found that energy and clarity are two sides of the same coin.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Merceless One,

12 was an arbitrary number that I used in steps. If I was to revise it, I would now probably use 16+ levels.

Also, on your energy point... I have found that energy and clarity are two sides of the same coin.

Best,

Jeff

oh yeah you couldnt be more correct on that point ;)

• Like 1

There have been a few threads lately that have touched on signposts or stages of Enlightenment. Many will say that it is all indescribable, and ancient texts are open to vast differences of interpretation. While much of the path is beyond mind and words, at each “level” there are changes/things that everyone can understand. It is also not the same for everyone, but the following stages are a common progression. The following information is compiled from discussions with 4 self-declared “enlightened” individuals, 2 primordial (Dzogchen-like) masters and my own experience.

• Normal State – Wandering mind. Some will often have 3-6 (or more) threads/dialogs of thought jumping around.
  • Temporary One Thread – In meditation, one quiets to one focused thread (as in mantra or concentration). At this state, one may begin to notice energy (if looking for it).
  • Temporary quiet mind – One can begin to see/trace thoughts.
  • Stable quiet meditation – One can perceive the nature/energy of mind. Can perceive astral experiences.
  • Expansion of quiet mind to normal life – One begins to “see themselves” doing things. An example is seeing yourself getting angry, but can’t stop yourself.
  • Quiet mind in life – Usually only one thread going, sometimes no threads. Can see and stop yourself from getting angry.
  • Calm mind – No real thoughts unless there is something to do/decide. Meditation and life are the same. (McKenna books 1&2). Often described as nothingness. Many stop here and declare victory.
  • Noticing Oneness – Something “tickles” the calm mind. Curiosity returns. (McKenna book 3). Begin to break beyond the local body-mind.
  • See Oneness – Feels like every soul is inside you. Begin integration with existence.
  • Oneness – Can feel everyone and everything. Begin building rainbow/light body. At this level, a master can send mind-to-mind knowledge/transmissions and do lots of stuff.
  • Oneness beyond time – Can perceive parallel realities and beyond time.
  • Primordial State – Level of Prophets/Buddhas. Completion of rainbow/light body. Integration with God/Existence/Emptiness. Depending on your perspective, gone or do whatever you want.

I hope you find this useful (or at least interesting :) ). Happy to discuss.

Enjoy the moment (and the week).

this isnt the exact thread i was talking about, but i think it is the same thing.

I sorta know where you are coming from with this. personally i think im on stage 8.

i would consider stage 9/10 awakening or enlightenment....

also i think it is important to note that somewhere around stage 7 or 8 the person doesnt really fear death, its like the body is there but they feel beyond the human form. or atleast they dont feel like they would disapear if there body died. it i cant explain the experience as much, but it is like a different form of immortal. i believe the doaists call this the earth immortal because if they die they dont go anywhere and just stay on earth, i believe this knowledge is felt at this stage.

would you say the stages become more difficult or time consuming as one goes up? kind of like a video game?

also how would you compare these stages to a Taoist Celestial Immortal?

Another note: this guy B Mouravieff has a 7 stage system based on eastern christianity, and at the 7th the person can no longer hold a human form if they wish to keep progressing. in his system levels 1-3 are the normal human, having no magnitism and just floating in any direction either by mental, emotional, or mental. at level 4 they get magnitism and choose a direction. level 5 is enlightenment. level 6-7 are extra credit

Edited by MooNiNite

Trying to become enlightened in the midst of a psycho-logical warzone while being constantly bombareded with propaganda is like trying to relax in a physical warzone while being constantly bombarded with explosives.

• Noticing Oneness – Something “tickles” the calm mind. Curiosity returns.
  • (McKenna book 3 <<<LOL who is MCKENNA!!!). Begin to break beyond the local body-mind.
  • See Oneness – Feels like every soul is inside you. Begin integration with existence.
  • Oneness – Can feel everyone and everything. Begin building rainbow/light body. At this level, a master can send mind-to-mind knowledge/transmissions and do lots of stuff.
  • Oneness beyond time – Can perceive parallel realities and beyond time.
  • Primordial State – Level of Prophets/Buddhas. Completion of rainbow/light body. Integration with God/Existence/Emptiness. Depending on your perspective, gone or do whatever you want.

do you have any PROOF to support such counter-intuitive and anti-logical claims??

Edited by IntuitiveWanderer