Green Tiger

Rules for winning an internet argument

I got called far worse than that by a member very recently.

It would run to a vast number of buttons.

• Like 2

I would add: if you invoke Godwin, you lost.

What about if you use every quality pertaining to the character of Hitler, but don't explicitly mention Hitler, does that count ?

Have I won yet?

Winners will be advised by post after the close of competition. Should you be a winner you may elect to keep your name secret or for your win to be publicised. In the case of a tie, the competition will be decided by the slogan competition "I like Dao bums because......

• Like 4

The guide itself has many problems. It is not a guide for winning, but for not losing easily. Also, it is only about what not to say. It doesn't change what you think and do, and might even further cover it up in ulterior motivation. Bascially, that guide, if followed, makes it harder for intelligent people to quickly identify a moron and thus avoid wasting time.

It seems to me that Lore Sjöberg was stroking his ego with it to boost his 'logician' self-esteem.

So to speak: Why would he help the enemy?

As I see it: Because they're not his enemy. With that piece he moved closer to what he resists. He devotes so much more attention to morons that he begins helping them being a more advanced moron.

BTW if you like this topic, you should read The Autobiography of Malcolm X. In it, he talks about all this ego crap, which so much matches my personal experience that sometimes it makes me feel like I'm him reincarnated, LOL.

Edited by Owledge

Saw this and had to post it. :P

how-internet-arguments-work_o_665018.jpg

Not a good piece, since they're all just button presses here. It totally doesn't get the reason why they choose ad hominem.

The german video was kinda hilarious.

Everything mean sounds better in the germanic languages.

Everything nice sounds better in the latin languages.

Some of the pictures on the thread were funny too, thanks you guys.

I discovered that a current debate of a sort that I am in on another forum has all but about six of the 'logical fallacies' being used by the other side. 

Probably I'm using the rest LOL.

Not a good piece, since they're all just button presses here. It totally doesn't get the reason why they choose ad hominem.

Because the discussion begins to turn into a battle , and the personal buttons hurt humiliate and distract. Few people can keep their cool past a few volleys ,most know this, admit it ,acccept it and yet know its wrong. Therein lies the joke.

Im sure you know the simpler deeper reason as well, that folks attack to preserve themselves either because they feel theatened rightly, or that they are so dug in to fallacy, theyll never admit one iota of it as untrue.

Edited by Stosh