Here is a BBC documentary interviewing many scientists and experts who have conducted scientific research on Near Death Experiences and Out of Body Experiences-

YouTube - The Day I Died. NDE + Consciousness Documentary Pt1 of 6

YouTube - The Day I Died. NDE + Consciousness Documentary Pt2 of 6

YouTube - The Day I Died. NDE + Consciousness Documentary Pt3 of 6

YouTube - The Day I Died. NDE + Consciousness Documentary Pt4 of 6

YouTube - The Day I Died. NDE + Consciousness Documentary Pt5 of 6

YouTube - The Day I Died. NDE + Consciousness Documentary Pt6 of 6

In modern times 2 factors have allowed NDE's to be proven, modern resuscitation techniques and the fact that heart attacks are now very common.

Many cardiologists are investigating this subject rigorously. With modern medicine this phenomenon has become more common as people are brought back after being pronounced clinically dead with no heartbeat and no brain function more and more through surgery, emergency medical treatments, etc.

My understanding is that people before they die will often have out of body experiences leading up to their death, and when they die they float above their bodies and up to the outer atmosphere of the earth, from there they enter a tunnel with a light at the end of the tunnel, when they reach the light they begin to have a complete flashback and review of their entire lives, and then they enter into the pure light, but some are then told they can go back and that they're body has been brought back by the surgeons.

People have been able to float above their bodies and see things on the floors above them that they couldn't have known, or seen things on high shelves that could only be seen if they were floating above it

Here's a scientific article i found on the subject although i am sure there are even more rigorous ones with harder proof, i just don't have all that much time to read and find them at this moment

Article: Near Death Experiences

Nevertheless, and contrary to what we would expect scientifically, studies have shown that 'near death experiences' do occur in such situations. This therefore raises a question of how such lucid and well-structured thought processes, together with such clear and vivid memories, occur in individuals who have little or no brain function. In other words, it would appear that the mind is seen to continue in a clinical setting in which there is little or no brain function. In particular, there have been reports of people being able to 'see' details from the events that occurred during their cardiac arrest, such as their dentures being removed.

A study by our group examining 63 cardiac arrest survivors on the coronary care and emergency units of Southampton General Hospital, which was published in the medical journal 'Resuscitation' demonstrated that approximately 6-10% of people with cardiac arrest have NDEs and out of body experiences. There was no evidence to support the role of drugs, oxygen or carbon dioxide (as measured from the blood) in causing the experiences. In another study just completed in Holland, 344 cardiac arrest survivors from 10 hospitals were interviewed over a 2-year period, and 41 or 12% reported a core NDE. Patients with NDEs were then followed up for a further 8 years following the event and reported less fear of death and a more spiritual outlook on life. This study by a cardiologist Dr Pim van Lommel, is due to be published in the prestigious medical journal The Lancet either at the end of this year or early next year.

Oh what's that? Real data? oh too bad so sad

The existence of mind and conciousness is not dependent on matter, and to view mind as being created by brain chemicals is a simplistic and ridiculous notion

Although sicence is often pure nonsense, sometimes scientific studies can be very rigourous when it comes to observing a specific phenomena, the exact times when people are clinically dead are monitered closely in each case. People see things happen that they could not have seen or things that happened definitely while they were dead. The whole point of the study is to find objective evidence of and corroboration of the accounts connecting to real events.

NDE have been studied for over 25 years all over the world by prestigous scientific institutions

The Lancet: Near-death experience in survivors of cardiac arrest

Near-death experience in survivors of cardiac arrest: a prospective study in the Netherlands

Pim van Lommel, Ruud van Wees, Vincent Meyers, Ingrid Elfferich

Division of Cardiology, Hospital Rijnstate, Arnhem, Netherlands (P van Lommel MD); Tilburg, Netherlands (R van Wees PhD); Nijmegen, Netherlands (V Meyers PhD); and Capelle a/d Ijssel, Netherlands (I Elfferich PhD)

Summary

Background Some people report a near-death experience (NDE) after a life-threatening crisis. We aimed to establish the cause of this experience and assess factors that affected its frequency, depth, and content.

Methods In a prospective study, we included 344 consecutive cardiac patients who were successfully resuscitated after cardiac arrest in ten Dutch hospitals. We compared demographic, medical, pharmacological, and psychological data between patients who reported NDE and patients who did not (controls) after resuscitation. In a longitudinal study of life changes after NDE, we compared the groups 2 and 8 years later.

Findings 62 patients (18%) reported NDE, of whom 41 (12%) described a core experience. Occurrence of the experience was not associated with duration of cardiac arrest or unconsciousness, medication, or fear of death before cardiac arrest. Frequency of NDE was affected by how we defined NDE, the prospective nature of the research in older cardiac patients, age, surviving cardiac arrest in first myocardial infarction, more than one cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) during stay in hospital, previous NDE, and memory problems after prolonged CPR. Depth of the experience was affected by sex, surviving CPR outside hospital, and fear before cardiac arrest. Significantly more patients who had an NDE, especially a deep experience, died within 30 days of CPR (p<0·0001). The process of transformation after NDE took several years, and differed from those of patients who survived cardiac arrest without NDE.

Interpretation We do not know why so few cardiac patients report NDE after CPR, although age plays a part. With a purely physiological explanation such as cerebral anoxia for the experience, most patients who have been clinically dead should report one.

Lancet 2001; 358: 2039-45

more-

In an attempt to address this problem, Osis and McCormick (1980) designed a visual target that could be identified only if viewed from one particular visual perspective, and they recruited as the subject for their experiments a person skilled at inducing OBEs in himself. The success of this person in identifying the target led Osis and McCormick to conclude that he had done so by viewing it while out of his physical body, rather than by clairvoyance while inside his physical body.
Edited by Immortal4life
  • Like 1

We compared demographic, medical, pharmacological, and psychological data between patients who reported NDE and patients who did not (controls) after resuscitation.

They just didn't believe in God/Tao/Buddha.

They looked at it from the wrong angel. They should have asked about those NDE patients personl life.

I suspect those poeple who has NDE was given a second chance to finish something very important to that person in this life time. That person might not be aware of what is the quest that they have to do consciously. So it might make the interview difficult. They should have seek help from people like us on this forum.

The existence of mind and conciousness is not dependent on matter, and to view mind as being created by brain chemicals is a simplistic and ridiculous notion.

I know, yet that's exactly what I believed until I very nearly had an OBE about two years ago. I'm so glad that happened because it forced me to question my assumptions, and now I'm on a spiritual path because of it. :)

Looking back, it's just laughable that I believed an objective flow of chemicals and nervous signals could somehow cause a subjective phenomena of consciousness, and the mind. How can a object possibly cause a subject, or vice versa? It makes no sense. They're qualitatively different sides of reality, which must both be reducable to something which is neither subject or object (the Self).

Dialectical monism WIN! It explains how consciousness and matter can affect each other, without stating that one somehow causes the other despite their very different natures.

I hope you wont mind if I "resurrect" this topic. I think it's better than starting my own.

I have a question regarding NDEs:

- People usually see a consciouss Light, who answers their questions and instructs them

Is this light the Dao? Is the Dao intelligent/consciouss?

I once had an OBE when a dentist accidentally overdosed me on nitrous oxide. It was an interesting experience. I felt like I was out of my body and could see myself in the chair. Very surreal. It gave me a lot to think about for a long time. On the other hand I know a man who had a major heart attack and was clinically dead for over a half an hour. They did 1000 chest compression's and also had him in an "ice bed". Presbyterian Hospital (NYC) called it a miracle that he lived. I asked him what he saw or experienced while he was dead and he said he saw nothing. It was like that time was just missing from him. I read the above comments about cardiac arrest so maybe that has something to do with his non-experience. There are some interesting studies about children having NDE's. You could find some of them on youtube. I recently read a book about DMT - http://www.amazon.com/DMT-Molecule-Revolutionary-Near-Death-Experiences/dp/0892819278 . (I hope I didn't break any forum rules by posting that link) It is a great read and takes an in depth look into NDE, mystical, and other experiences connected with the production of DMT in the human brain. It is a scientific book but does not discount the spiritual aspects of these experiences. My own experience had a big effect on me. After that I didn't know what to believe anymore and I think it opened my mind to many new concepts and ideas. I don't think about it or speculate about it anymore. Rather I remember the experience and accept its influence on my life.

In Tibetan Buddhism it's said that near to when the death process fully ends, the mind is absorbed back into the substrate consciousness so you fall unconscious like in deep sleep (unless you've achieved shamatha) for several hours.

Perhaps that's part of why many people experience nothing. Also, maybe some experience something but their brain can't process it upon return to the body so no memory is formed.

In Tibetan Buddhism it's said that near to when the death process fully ends, the mind is absorbed back into the substrate consciousness so you fall unconscious like in deep sleep (unless you've achieved shamatha) for several hours.

Perhaps that's part of why many people experience nothing. Also, maybe some experience something but their brain can't process it upon return to the body so no memory is formed.

One of the ways is to go under hypnosis and you'll able to see remember and see what happened.

One of the ways is to go under hypnosis and you'll able to see remember and see what happened.

The issue there is, what is real and what is junk swirling in the subconscious?

Sign in to follow this