Aaron

Religion is the poison of Spirituality

Q: What do you call a Real IRA man with his hands over his ears, his eyes shut and his face screwed up in concentration who is jumping up and down in a field whilst wearing very heavy boots?

A: A mine detector.

Are you trying to get we Atheists re-involved in this thread? Remember, Buddhism really is an Atheistic religion.

well pol pot was a fan of theravada buddhism, but mostly just to keep people pacified, not really as a practitioner..

i dont really practice buddhism as a religion, but some do, so i dont mind the confusion :)

• Like 1

Plenty of religious dictators out there too, historically far more of those than the political sorts.

DL is a religious dictator, so is Mr Pope, VMarco on here might well be, could he get the following. Osho had a half hearted go just to oblige those who seemed to need a dictator; but he kept giggling cos he never took anything too seriously.

Fascist is a facile epithet, bit like 'political correctness'. Used inaccurately the term signifies nothing beyond serving to define the user thereof.

There have been very few fascist dictators to whit, Franco, Mussolini and Hitler and those very much of a time and situation.

since you clearly didnt read the post i am referring to, and i dont feel like digging back through this thread to reference it, i will only point out that stalin, mao, mussolini, and hitler were basically atheists (although it can be debated in hitler's case) and took the same view on religion as is posited in this threads original post and throughout.

his holiness the dalai lama is not a dictator. he wasn't before he abdicated his political responsibilities and he isn't today.

osho was a terrorist but not a dictator.

you talking about political correctness is irony itself.

• Like 2

well pol pot was a fan of theravada buddhism, but mostly just to keep people pacified, not really as a practitioner..

i dont really practice buddhism as a religion, but some do, so i dont mind the confusion :)

Nice reply.

Edited by Marblehead

you talking about political correctness is irony itself.

Hehehe. Anyone talking about political correctness is speaking to only hypocracy.

oh i dont know, i can think of some pretty politically correct people. But they are boring in their own way.

merry christmas eve day to you

• Like 1

oh i dont know, i can think of some pretty politically correct people. But they are boring in their own way.

merry christmas eve day to you

You know I have this bad habit of generalizing. Hehehe.

Thanks for the greeting. Same back at you.

On the eve of the high holy day of the sun god Mithras, I recall one day when I was a wee lad.

THe good-intentioned folk at the local gathering had bundled together a clump of hairs, and offered up a five dollar bounty to whoever could name thier number.

Now their intention had been to promote some bit of doctrine, no matter what the truth of it might be; but I resolutely declared the number of the hairs, and upon hearing the answer, the learned elders of the church proceeded to teach their doctrine, oblivious to the fact that a mere babe had uttered quite correctly the number. Again, the gauntlet thrown down, this time with gumballs in a jar, the stake the gumballs themselves, and again, this young one did dare to speak the proper number; but yet - The elders did pretend to not hear the plainly spoken words, so plain in the simple fact in the mind of the youth, that the truth was the truth.

Better not to say "only god knows" and have only god answer.

I hated the christian church for a long time, before I learned to distinguish the difference between the idea and the messenger.

• Like 2

Off-topic, like that matters now, but I find that it's very hard to explain to people that you don't celebrate Christmas. The first thing they say is, "Oh so you celebrate Hanukkah then?" When you reply, "No." They get this blank look on their face like they can't understand what you're talking about. Sigh... It might just be living in the deep south (of the USA).

Aaron

lol just share the presents and festive spirit mate

• Like 1

Now if Noggin the Nog's son Prince Cnut was to start a cult would his followers be referred to either as cultists or a bunch of Cnuts?

That's a very interesting question ... does it have an answer?

Cnut's Witnesses?

Latter Day Cnuts?

Strict and Particular Cnuts?

The possibilities are almost as endless as the improbability.

Hollow speculation all though and as empty, in its way; as Lafayette Ron's mother's nursery cupboard.