Marblehead

Marble Gardens & Fish Ponds

One key I learned a few years back is that if you see ants on the plant it is likely because there are aphids on it.

I use a mix of fungicide and insecticide when I spray.  It has done well for me.

• Like 1

I did notice ants on the citronella during that time.

Aphids seem to like the new growth on my Mandevilla/Rocktrumpet too, but no ants there that I have seen.

Thank you for the tip!

• Like 1

Ants shepherd / tend the aphids for their honeydew ( poop or waste ) which is high in sugar. Ever park your car underneath a tree and find its covered with a sticky sap like substance? It's the honey dew.

It's some real sticky shit !

A synergistic partnership exists between the ants and aphids, somewhat like mankind and cows.

Some postulate the manna from heaven was honeydew. A stretch in mho.

• Like 2

i always preferred honeydew to honey don't.

One item on my mostly forgotten to do list, is to build a terrarium which grows either sprouts or microgreens.  Setting it up to look like vast fields with multiple minicrops.  A spot where you add a cup of water each day to keep things moist, maybe a guppy in the runoff pond. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4

One item on my mostly forgotten to do list, is to build a terrarium which grows either sprouts or microgreens. Setting it up to look like vast fields with multiple minicrops. A spot where you add a cup of water each day to keep things moist, maybe a guppy in the runoff pond.

Honeydew is definitely better than honey don't.

Living in AZ is dreadful in the summer. My flowers are drying and no amount of water will save them from the blazing heat that is descending from the sun this weekend. 110+°

Come on October; I'd like to play in the dirt and help grow some more pretty!

• Like 1

Living in AZ is dreadful in the summer. My flowers are drying and no amount of water will save them from the blazing heat that is descending from the sun this weekend. 110+°

I know what you mean.  Last year everything I planted from seed died because of the heat and lack of rain.  Things are a little better this year even though yesterday the temp got up to 105 degrees.  Fortunately the plants are established well enough so that they shouldn't be damaged by that as long as I get out there in the morning and give them a little water.

One item on my mostly forgotten to do list, is to build a terrarium which grows either sprouts or microgreens.  Setting it up to look like vast fields with multiple minicrops.  A spot where you add a cup of water each day to keep things moist, maybe a guppy in the runoff pond. 

If you ever get around to that,do it bonsai style. Otherwise you get mildew issues etc. Really heed this. :)

If you ever get around to that,do it bonsai style. Otherwise you get mildew issues etc. Really heed this. :)

tell me more.  I was hoping flushing with fresh water every day might keep the mildew away.  By bonsai style do you mean more pebbles or more water, less often? 

Do you put 'Koi fish'in the garden pond?

My gardens are in the front; my ponds are in the back.

Yes, there are mainly Koi in the ponds but I also have some goldfish.  (And frogs too.)

tell me more. I was hoping flushing with fresh water every day might keep the mildew away. By bonsai style do you mean more pebbles or more water, less often?

Just the constant humidity will let mold and algae and droplets be all over a sealed glass thing, you cant see your handiwork in pleasant view. Excess water cant escape so the roots cant breathe, and rot. Bonsai method obviates these serious issues by having a free draining medium to grow in. A daily watering with very very weak fertilizer over a nonorganic soil , that readily allows air exchange, yearly root pruning, can keep plants healthy for hundreds of years sometimes.The substrate needs to be flushed thoroughly daily or so ,you dunk the pot ,but then its intentionally allowed to drain thoroughly as well.

Once you hit the right balance, its a very pleasant hobby, It works very nice in a screened pool enclosure here, to knock down the hard light a bit. In cold climates they may transfer plants to the earth to protect the roots from freezing. But it certainly can work for plants other than trees. I made a nice golf green with moss, and I know a guy whos been doing it for years. I dont have an amenable sun exposure, bright but not direct, And the cat would interfere.

Edited by Stosh

Woa- beautiful, Koi can get fairly big.....they are often hungry.

Yeah, some of mine are close to two feet long.

I generally feed them once a day, in the evening, but now and then I will skip a day to give them time to process what is already in their belly.

Yeah, some of mine are close to two feet long.

I generally feed them once a day, in the evening, but now and then I will skip a day to give them time to process what is already in their belly.

Your Koi are probably gorgeous.
  • Like 1

Your Koi are probably gorgeous.

Thanks.  I think so.  And people who I allow to visit and see them are generally impressed, especially for their size.

Mine aren't "show" quality but a couple might take third place if I were to take them to shows.  (Which I do not do.)

Thanks. I think so. And people who I allow to visit and see them are generally impressed, especially for their size.

Mine aren't "show" quality but a couple might take third place if I were to take them to shows. (Which I do not do.)

I wouldnt want to endanger them either, for the glory of someone elses accolade, which likely as not would be based on ancillary reasons as much as honest judgement. The point I suppose is to nurture them, enjoy them . Shows miss the point a bit turning the thing into a competition, I guess..... but a few pix wouldnt hurt :) Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Shows miss the point a bit turning the thing into a competition, I guess..... but a few pix wouldnt hurt :)

I was a member of a Koi Club for a while but left for that reason.  Competition was more important than learning how to keep them healthy.

• Like 2

I was a member of a Koi Club for a while but left for that reason.  Competition was more important than learning how to keep them healthy.

I get both sides of that, they want rules by which they can say they have succeeded, by which they can judge and be judged ,Or for the social aspects. Its easy under those circumstances to get absorbed away from the fishes themselves, get critical and desperate because the access to validation is now in someone elses control. It takes an independent attitude to forsake that kind of destructive inclusion. Its truly a shame, but the issue is rampant nowadays. 

• Like 1

I was a little saddened this morning when I went out to look at the gardens.  This morning is the first day in the past three months that I was not greeted by a daylily flower.  I am nearing the end of their flowering season.  There are still a few buds so I will still have a few flowers now and then but it won't be many and they will be ending soon as well.

I still haven't gotten another flower on the Passion Vine.  The plant looks healthy and it is growing, just no flowers.

I wasn't greeted this morning by a gorgeous model bearing breakfast in bed. 

Apparently you stayed in the wrong motel.

I did get to watch a beautiful butterfly this morning.  Fairly large size so easy to see.  Wings are solid black except the outer edges which are polka-dotted yellow.

• Like 1

I went out front to sit at the gardens this morning and was honored by the appearance of one of the hummingbirds what came over for a drink of sugar water.  It's always a pleasure seeing them.

• Like 1

Lots of butterflies out and about yesterday and today.  I like that.  Maybe they will be making lots of babies for next year.

• Like 1

Earlier today I went out back to the ponds to do a little and there was a garter snake hanging over the edge of the pond apparently getting a drink of water.  There's been no rain here for a month so I can understand it needing a drink.

• Like 3