If you are/were a *Practicing Magickian:

-whatever your flavor-

This Thread will be a good podium to help instruct those with Questions.

This is *Real Magick:

Not Role Playing, Not Hollywood Magick

Maybe we can outline a basic

non-dogmatic paradigm, for those interested seekers.

Those who want to be like Harry Potter:

...or just Qi-Curious?

:)

Witch Wizard Sorcerer Mage and all the Spectrum in between :

NOTE: The origins of the words Witch and Wicca is that they are derived from "Wic," which means to shape or bend.

So, in essence, Magick is all about Bending

Thread Idea Inspired by:

_______

Maybe...

this Thread will eventually become

a Sticky/Pinned Topic...?

_______

Tree of Life:

is a good map

It can be non-religious and non_dogmatic

I will post info. about it- shortly

Edited by Disabled Not Broken

If you are/were a *Practicing Magickian:

-whatever your flavor-

This Thread will be a good podium to help instruct those with Questions.

This is *Real Magick:

Not Role Playing, Not Hollywood Magick

Maybe we can outline a basic

non-dogmatic paradigm, for those interested seekers.

Those who want to be like Harry Potter:

...or just Qi-Curious?

Witch Wizard Sorcerer Mage and all the Spectrum in between :

NOTE: The origins of the words Witch and Wicca is that they are derived from "Wic," which means to shape or bend.

So, in essence, Magick is all about Bending

Tree of Life:

is a good map

It can be non-religious and non_dogmatic

I will post info. about it- shortly

Background on:

TREE OF LIFE

Yggdrasil.jpg

Contents

192px-Ktreewnames.png

Contents

• Like 1

The Tree of Life, is a paradigm,

commonly used in Western magick.

It can be religious Kaballah.

This is not our purpose.

QABALA/QBL is the magickal 'map'

It's Components, contain:

Sephiroth

Paths

4 Worlds

Can Include:

Tarot Principles/Cards

Can also, include:

Sound, Color, Planets, Numerology

Sometimes Gematria

Can be used for Astral Travel/Pathworking

Can have practical, mundane uses, such as catergorizing scientific principles

Entropy, for example:

Geburah/Chesed

TOL, can also be incorporated into other magickal paradigms...

Tree_simple.gif

Hermetic Kabbalah / Qabalah Links

Colin's Hermetic Kabbalah Page - the definitive on-line Hermetic resource. includes a number of fascinating on-line documents by Bill Heidrick and others. These are worth printing out for study. Also an incredible links page. Best on the Web

Symbala - Beautiful models, visual impressions and teaching aids relating to the Tree of Life. The artist approaches the subject from a visual appreciation and explores 3 dimensional modeling, geometry and visionary arts. Includes a shockwave flash interactive Tree and movies. The Kabbalah Poster and Alchemical Star Print are among the published works on view and available for purchase

Qabalah Study - discussion forum dedicated to the Hermetic Qabalah

"The Qabalah Study site is dedicated to fostering a greater understanding and personal life application of the principles of the Qabalah. Members are encouraged to share their perceptions, questions, experiences, and intuitions on the Qabalah as well as on kindred subjects such as Tarot, Alchemy, Astrology, and Magick, and the many other pathways of the Esoteric Tradition through the Message Board, Links, and Photos areas of the site. All participation that is respectful, sincere, and on topic is welcome."

Quabbalah - The Tree of Life - by by Karen Chapdelaine. From a 1994 alt.magick newsgroup posting, this article gives a good very basic intro. Unfortunately the spacing in the ascii diagram of the Tree did not come out very well in unformatted html

Qabalah Linkz - good page to mostly Hermetic (with a few Traditional) Kabbalah links, arranged according to whether they are Elementary, Intermediate, or Advanced

My Qabalah - interactive image map, follows basically the Golden Dawn /Hermetic/Dion Fortune/ tradition(s) - gives a list of correspondences for and description of each Sefirah

The Qabalistic and Thelemic Works of Frater Achad - the complete works of Frater Achad, in both html and pdf format, includes interesting Qabalistic writings, as well as other material - part of

High Magick: The Hermetic Kabalah - original writings on Magick, Hermetic Kabbalah, the Tarot, and more. By Suba

Qabalah Web - introductory site on Qabalah and related subjects. Includes annoutated recommended reading list

The Keys to Kabbalah - by Alan Bain - electronic version of Dr. Alan Bain's book The Keys to Kabbalah. Covers each sephirah, each of the Tarot paths, and includes diagrams, appendix and supplements.

thinrain.gif

Some Books

The Kabbalah Unveiled by MacGregor S.L. Mathers - essentially extracts from the Zohar, with Mathers' commentary. A number of Lurianic themes are incorporated here. This was the basic Kabbalah textbook for the Golden Dawn

The Mystical Qabalah - Dion Fortune - a popular and very readable introduction to the Qabalah and its symbolism -

basically a popularisation of Mather's book and his teachings

thinrain.gif

The Witches Qabala: The Pagan Path and the Tree of Life

51G6yB%2Bp1pL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Because the classic writings on the Qabala have been expressed primarily in the terminology of the Western Mystery Tradition or in terms of the ceremonial magician, its usefulness as a tool for the Craft has been overlooked. With this book, Ellen Cannon Reed, a High Priestess of the Isian tradition, brings the symbolism of the Qabala into a new light so pagans can see its value and use it to enhance the Great Work. Reed explains the Tree of Life, the primary symbol used to represent the universal energies as "revealed" by the Qabala, and how its spheres and paths correspond to elements in the pagan tradition. Teachers can use the Qabala to understand the growth of students and their problems, using the Vices and Virtues to recognize stages of growth. Reed also provides exercises, meditations, and encouragement to students who are studying without a teacher. She discusses the Qabala as it appears in everyday life, which spheres of the Tree of Life to use for specific workings, and details two rituals using the Tree: a Dedication to the Journey, and the Rite of mending Love. Reed's command of the material allows teachers and students alike to gain powerful insight into their own search for spirituality.

Next in line, for study and research:

Planetary Magick:

Planetary Magick: The Heart of Western Magick (Llewellyn's High Magick Series)

I am not a big fan of Llewellyn Books, but this book is a classic

Next in line, would be a thorough study on:

Elements:

Basic outline:

Fire, Water, Earth, Air and Spirit - Five Elements of Magic and Ritual

Elemental Correspondences

The five elements of fire, water, air, earth, and spirit are used by neopagans and occultists in magic and ritual to represent the forces of nature. They are not the same as the table of elements in science.

Below are the symbols and some attributes of each one taken from western magical tradition, which has influenced much of our current magical thought.

Nature elementals and other correspondences such as neoshamanic totems are outside the scope of this article.

1359064_f120.jpg

Credit: P.J. Deneen

Air

Warm and moist, active. Corresponding direction - East. Represents clear perception and intelligence. Associated with the first breath of life and speech.

1359083_f120.jpg

Fire

Warm and dry, active, incredibly energetic. Corresponding direction - South. It has the power to destroy and purify. It is seen as the beginning and end as it is considered the source of life and the destroyer of life.

1359093_f120.jpg

Water

Cool and moist, passive, creative, transformative. Embodied esoterically as the primal waters of all creation. Corresponding direction - West. Represents the subconscious, receptivity, and regeneration.

1359071_f120.jpg

Earth

Dry and cool, passive, fertile. Corresponding direction - North. Earth is born of the above three elements. Represents stability, groundedness, and the ability to manifest.

1359172_f120.jpg

Spirit

Spirit is above but is the connecting point of the other four elements (shown opening picture of this page). It is the embodiment of the alchemical phrase "As Above, So Below." As we come to understand the four elements, we come closer to understanding divinity as their source.

Using Elements in Circle Casting

In witchcraft, circles are commonly cast calling the elements at each direction in order to have balanced energy and as part of enclosing the circle. Students of magick and esoteric orders such as the Golden Dawn work with the elements to balance those energies within themselves.

1359061_f248.jpg

Elemental Exercise

A simple exercise to begin to align with the energies of each element is to draw the images above separately on paper and meditate on them. You can also visualize these symbols to bring more of one element into your life. For example, if you are feeling spacey or light-headed, you can concentrate on the symbol for earth to become more grounded.

Symbols are'nt necessary to evoke the feelings of each element. You may also create your own visuals or use none at all. They are simply tools to aid in connecting with the energies.

Most likely you will receive information from your own guidance about what the elements mean for you and your life. It is also perfectly normal to feel an affinity with one or more of these during different life experiences. This is invaluable information to record in your journal as you develop your own magical personality. While this work may seem basic, it is a powerful way to develop equilibrium in all aspects of your life.

More About Magic and Ritual

Sources consulted:

• Cicero, Chic, and Sandra Tabatha Cicero. Self-Initiation int the Golden Dawn Tradition, 1st Ed. Llewellyn Publications, 1995.
  • Kraig, Donald Michael. Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts, 2nd Ed. Llewellyn Publications, 1988 and 1998.

So... Understanding Tree of Life, Planetary Correspondances, and Elements is a very basic and thorough start

Now, we can put what we have learned, into practice

High and Low Magick

High is for enlightenment [pure and simple- stripping tech. terms from it]

Low is for achieving mundane goals [Love, Wealth, Health]

We are keeping Colored Magick out.

[black, White, Citrine, Red, etc.,... because the *WILL* of the Magickian- either paints or taints the working]

Magickal tools are the external focus... directing of the-- internal focus

A Wand is the extension of my Will - like pointing my finger

Definitions and general purpose of magick

Crowley defined Magick as "the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will."

[4][5] He goes on to elaborate on this, in one postulate, and twenty eight theorems. His first clarification on the matter is that of a postulate, in which he states "ANY required change may be effected by the application of the proper kind and degree of Force in the proper manner, through the proper medium to the proper object."[6][7] He goes on further to state:

Magick is the Science of understanding oneself and one's conditions. It is the Art of applying that understanding in action.

Nothing here is far out outlandish...

No Hollywood, No Cartoons.

No 'Masters'

No 'Initiations'

No sitting at the feet of Gurus

No Hidden Secrets

No Pacts nor of 'Selling Your Soul to the Devil'

Please continue your lesson on this i think you have the rest of us rivoted.

Edited by templetao
  • Like 2

Its nice to find Abraham Abulafiah's name on the Qabalah chart. I've studied a bit of his work. I could see where many would not define it as Qabalah since there's no classic theory instead it's more on how sacred sounds influence the body and its connection to the soul and outer realms.

Unlike what I consider the dense, head heavy practices of 'straight' Qabalah, its experiential. My main source for it is Ecstatic Kabalah by Rabbi David Cooper.

Edited by thelerner

I was only replying to the thread that implied my position from another thread. Up to that point i had no interest in this subject for it is nothing that i practice.

It was post #11 on this thread that prompted me to respond.

I think having a teacher can alleviate a lot of the speed bumps on the spiritual path. However, IME there is nothing more rewarding and more empowering than self-study. IMO learning the basics and then rigorously applying them can take you a long way in the field of esotericism.

If an individual does not have a teacher then they should look for one but at the same time harness all of the resources at their disposal and dive into the unknown and explore.

"There are many techniques for transmission and generation of chi but all require a master-student relationship unless you are inclined to intense self-study. Self-study is the source of unique gifts and often requires conquering your greatest fears. According to Sun Tzu, self-adventure also results in the greatest powers.

Only time will tell, but there are probably more accomplished people doing esoteric studies on their own right now than at any time in human history." Path Notes by Glenn Morris

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 4

okay, I can understand questioning lineage and the problems of studying only from books.

DNB how do you distinguish quality sources from trash?

How do you keep real without going offtrack into delusions?

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

I can vouch for the approach DNB is taking on this thread. The Tree of Life is an indispensable tool for practicing magic. Why is this so? It acts as a "filing cabinet" for ideas allowing the magician to create connections between concepts, symbols, systems (read: energies) and in a depth that would not be possible without it. It acts as a powerful "engine" that propels energy from the subconscious mind (the gateway through which all magic must pass) into the material world.

I wholeheartedly endorse "Kabbalah for Health and Wellness" by Mark Stavish as the best all-around non-dogmatic introduction to kabbalah for those wishing to practice magic.

• Like 2

Theres nothing wrong with having a teacher.

Hey templetao, i noted on another thread you mentioned elemental magic and how you had experience with it. I was wondering if you could share your experiences and the value you have found in the practice? I know in Bardon he talks about loading different parts of the body with different elements.

What is the use of the practice and how is it used in your tradition and others?

-My 2 cents, Peace

Thats a loaded question. Its liking asking 3 things so lets start from the beginning.

How do you know if your even accumulating them right?

is it reverse or normal breathing?

sitting or standing?

what do i do with my hands?

I also notice in bardons book one of the levels of expertise is manifesting it out from nowhere and using it. How do you manifest it? do i just imagine that its working?....

These are some serious questions that need answering before you could even continue in your practice if you were serious.

I know in my training that if you are collecting fire that it is a standing posture, that has breath retention, a mantra, and a certain way to breath while your doing reverse breathing and a chi circulation so its all of this while collecting and condensing the fire element.

and thats just 1/3 of the basic training in the fire element let alone some of the other stuff.

charging your elemental chi is a seated med that has to be done for about an hour a day and then there is of course the moving med for fire.

To be honest to understand the elements from the ground up we have to start from the beginning.

Lets knock this hurdle out of the way first of all there is really only one element and that is air(follow me on this ok). Yang chi is only a gas a solar gas- yin chi is the magnetic field of that gas.

Magnetic pulls and brings things together condenses.

This yin pulled and brought all of the elements in but since it had yang it. it could not be collasped all the way. this became the earth element. Earth enhances and grounds all of the other elements. Earth is yin or the way of yin for earth keeps all of the elements together. Earth has to do with manifesting(out of the earth).

Air has both properties of fire and water in it. Air balances yin and yang it is the force between heaven and earth. Air is the alchemically most important for there is no thunder no sound without air.... Air balances yin and yang. All there is is air. it is air that sustains life it is air that is responsible for communication not just between us but between yin and yang.

Im not just talking about as you know im talking about the energetic and spiritual exp<b></b>ression commonly known as air.

Air is the element of balance and of sound(vibration).

You have to understand how thing went from working with the elements to alchemy as we know it today. All of the elements have spiritual qualites that will develop spiritual abilities. All there is is air thats why all of the elements is in air.

Air is the 3rd force that spread to the outer and the inner to balance yin and yang chi. Air is the balance of yin and yang chi. The ancients were correct chi can be referred to as air but this had double meaning.

1. All chi is air

2. in cultivation all you should have is a higher level of cultivated air chi(higher level of balanced yin and yang chi).

So the training changed. To focus more on air training for with proper air training you get it all. What i found is that what most practices forgot is that you can work with the elements directly and increase your water chi fire chi earth chi and so on to a significant amount.

This has to deal with so much much more than whats just in a bardon book this relates to all of us this is all of our heirtage.

fire deals with independance (self)

air the way(balance of yin and yang)

water leads the way(yin)

earth is center it focus' you.(focus of the elements)

light the awakened fire the realized self

So center your self enhance yin and yang connect to your inner fire in a yin way acheive balance and gain illumination. For this way is thru air.

Understand

All life in nature is a struggle for air.

Nature is a lesson of the balance

All of the elements has a spiritual presence.

Edited by templetao
  • Like 6

Wow, so much information in this thread, I'm gonna have to come back to this later and dig through it.

All this talk is rekindling my interest in Hermeticism and Western magick...although I'm not sure how it would gel with my current Neigong practice. Something I'll probably look into working with a year or two down the road.

The Otz Chim is a genuine and real path, I found this out to be true years after being drawn elsewhere. However, cheesy but true, the map is not the territory but the territory certainly exists! There are simpler more pragmatic maps in my limited experience.

[Edited addition]

I always liked this statement from Doc;

"The... techniques I've described are virtually the same in Taoism, Kriya yoga, Kokoro,

Kabbalah, Esoteric Christianity, and Sufism. Manifestation may differ according to the practice, but the true practice has to do with going within and working on yourself and your breath following the light-not drawing pentagrams on the floor that represent internal states and standing in them while bellowing in languages you don't understand."

I think it is worth keeping in mind regardless of the path/system being followed. Don't take this the wrong way, I am NOT posting this as a crtitique or criticism of ANY system or anyone. I just think it is a healthy reminder of a good perspective in approaching such subjects. Many I've known personally simply became lost in the maze of Western occultism and its maps, symbols etc, same happens in Daoism, and even Chinese medicine!

All the best,

Edited by snowmonki

Interesting perspective templetao. There is also an excellent elemental practice described in the book by Mark Stavish mentioned above that is very powerful. Also, in the interest of breadth of coverage, allow me to recommend a vajrayana book that I feel is one of the best on working with the elements that I have ever read. It is easily adapted into one's personal system, whatever it may be:

Healing with Form, Energy, and Light - Tenzin Rinpoche