mike 134

methods to enter deep sleep ?

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anybody knows of any methods to enter a deeper state of sleep (stage 2-3) directly from the awake state, skipping light, stage 1 sleep? I've been having some problems in the middle of the night trying to fall back asleep after I awaken. I can fall asleep now okay at bedtime because I'm dead tired, but if I happen to get up at 5 or 6 AM I will attempt to go back to sleep. But since I'm not as tired in the morning compared to at night its much more difficult, and worse my stupid body cannot distinguish between trying to relax into light sleep and meditating. When I tried meditating some weeks back I usually end up twitching, spasming, and sometimes I get agitated, which is exactly what happens to me in the morning entering stage 1 sleep; as soon as I enter this state a spasm would jolt me awake again. Hell, rarely it actually spreads to my body and I get vibrations leading to out of body experiences early in the morning.

There was a recent thread here about sleep http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/24370-decreasing-sleeping-hours/ where someone mentioned using "autosuggestion and positive reinforcement [to drop directly into deep sleep].

Does anyone here know exactly how to do this? I figured if I can skip stage 1 sleep and directly enter stage 2-3 from the waking state, I can avoid getting jolted awake by twitching and spasming which only occur during light sleep. Anyone ?

Thanks!

the twitching and spasming are kundalini cleaning your system out of obstructions. Shaking practice helps with that, you'll find some good threads here on that. It goes away after its cleared your energy body of obstructions. But its best to take a proactive approach, with shaking practice, to keep your system from building up pressure at the points of obstruction and spasming at inappropriate times

pressing the bubbling spring point of your feet, right below the pad of your foot in the middle, helps put the mind/body to sleep.

bubbling_well_150.jpg

best wishes to you

• Like 1

Yes the shaking occurs because of kundalini, it can be seen as a good thing because it is a very powerful way of unblocking your energy system so it can run smoothly and you can maintain great health/bliss.

Also being able to relax in general will help you to get to sleep easily so meditation is good for that.

ana thx for that pic

sin: its not a good thing at all it jolts me awake just when I'm in or approaching stage 1 sleep, it doesn't do anything beneficial to me it just deprives me of sleep for no reason. Thats why I want to bypass stage 1 sleep altogether and find ways to enter stage 2 or 3 directly if its possible.

no thats actually super beneficial, it just keeps you awake, which is annoying. It is removing blockages from your energy and mind, like sinancencer said.

also look into valerian tea, which smells like feet, but will definitely help you sleep. If the odor is to um herbal for you, you can get gelcaps with powder in them to take with whatever sleepy tea you like (i like chamomile and chrysanthemum flowers mixed)

• Like 1

Meh I used to use that stuff it sort of helped but damn ur right it smells like cheese rotting in dirty shoes. They say the odor actually builds up in the body if you use it for a couple of weeks so I got off of it ASAP I don't want to smell like that full time lol.

Not really certain about the benefit of spasming though the same damn muscles have been doing it the same way for months now.

ana thx for that pic

sin: its not a good thing at all it jolts me awake just when I'm in or approaching stage 1 sleep, it doesn't do anything beneficial to me it just deprives me of sleep for no reason. Thats why I want to bypass stage 1 sleep altogether and find ways to enter stage 2 or 3 directly if its possible.

ah i see, this has happened to me a lot of times but when I was travelling in India and kind of spending all day with spiritual practices on an aim to transform, also i had no real pressures to wake up at any time, also some nights i didnt sleep but i didnt mind I just saw this as good, I can see how if this isnt the case this might be annoying.

Someone once said all suffering is just a perspective problem I dont 100% agree but it has some truth.

One thing you might want to look into is those binaural beats that induce alpha and theta waves, you can youtube them, or relaxing music.

Thx for that suggestion. You thought it was a good thing you didn't sleep ? Damn man I poured toxic sedatives and even seizure medicines into my body for months in desperation to get rest, cause I was so agitated and twitching so bad. Hope I didn't suffer permanent damage. Damn kundalini, never up to any good.

EDIT: thx for the tips re: shaking. I actually did that for 2 weeks a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure about continuing it though now that I'm back in the gym where pounding on the treadmill is almost as good lol.

Edited by mike 134

Thx for that suggestion. You thought it was a good thing you didn't sleep ? Damn man I poured toxic sedatives and even seizure medicines into my body for months in desperation to get rest, cause I was so agitated and twitching so bad. Hope I didn't suffer permanent damage. Damn kundalini, never up to any good.

well yeah see from my angle im trying to get my mind and body to be super conscious and blissful. Some people actually dont need to sleep because their mind and body is working with such flow and energy, seriously some masters dont sleep for months im sure. Any time that something was being cleared is sometime that it is being cleared.

When I said suffering can be a perspective problem I am saying that I didnt suffer because I actually thought it was beneficial and i noticed i go into deep states of bliss and trance so why not.

Whereas if you hate this so much then it will further your suffering maybe if you see the benefits of spiritual practice this may help with this perspective change. To be honest most people dont really see the benefits of spiritual practice until their life goes to rock rock bottom and they see tremendous pain sounds like you got this thing which many people actually try for years to get but are not really into this spiritual stuff because you cant see the logic in it.

I dont shake anymore partly it is temporary.

Also it is possible you may say you hate it because everyone is focusing on how positive it is, you are right there are some negatives too but definately a lot of positives.

I wouldnt take meds if i was you, well you can do what you want but personally i think it fucks with your body.

I would read a book called "shaking medicine" by bradford keeney search for it on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shaking-Medicine-Ecstatic-Movement-ebook/dp/B0052YDTSE/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1

here you will see that most ancient tribes view this shaking as sacred medicine

Edited by sinansencer
  • Like 2

well yeah see from my angle im trying to get my mind and body to be super conscious and blissful. Some people actually dont need to sleep because their mind and body is working with such flow and energy, seriously some masters dont sleep for months im sure. Any time that something was being cleared is sometime that it is being cleared.

When I said suffering can be a perspective problem I am saying that I didnt suffer because I actually thought it was beneficial and i noticed i go into deep states of bliss and trance so why not.

Whereas if you hate this so much then it will further your suffering maybe if you see the benefits of spiritual practice this may help with this perspective change. To be honest most people dont really see the benefits of spiritual practice until their life goes to rock rock bottom and they see tremendous pain sounds like you got this thing which many people actually try for years to get but are not really into this spiritual stuff because you cant see the logic in it.

I dont shake anymore partly it is temporary.

Also it is possible you may say you hate it because everyone is focusing on how positive it is, you are right there are some negatives too but definately a lot of positives.

I wouldnt take meds if i was you, well you can do what you want but personally i think it fucks with your body.

I would read a book called "shaking medicine" by bradford keeney search for it on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shaking-Medicine-Ecstatic-Movement-ebook/dp/B0052YDTSE/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1

here you will see that most ancient tribes view this shaking as sacred medicine

On further note. I dont know much about binaural beats I did them before about 2 years ago and a lot of painful emotions would get released after a while i stopped it.

i think it may make your "conditions" worse. However with the shaking medicine a part of the ceremony involved drumming which is also putting you into a trance state as your right and left brain hemispheres are becoming in synch with each other. Some of those binaural beats are extremely powerful and I would stick to just putting on drumming music when you do the shaking.

I would read shaking medicine, do the practice mixing it with sitting on the floor on your back (like meditating but easier) and learn to see this experience as good.

Hope this helps

Edited by sinansencer

Not really certain about the benefit of spasming though the same damn muscles have been doing it the same way for months now.

yeah some blockages are deep. thats what shaking practices are for, to get in there and root that stuff out.

You might be interested in the thread and the article that Apech put up, on The Myth of the Eight Hour Sleep. The BBC article that provided the title of the thread is here.

If you get to about page three of Apech's thread, there's an exchange between humbleone and I about focus on the location of awareness and how that can contribute to falling asleep. I wrote a short essay along similar lines, Waking Up and Falling Asleep.

Humbleone said that he was able to get back to sleep (at four in the morning) seven days in a row, once he got the hang of it, and I've had other people on this forum say that they were able to experience getting back to sleep through focus on the location of awareness as well. Good luck to you, let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by Mark Foote

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anybody knows of any methods to enter a deeper state of sleep (stage 2-3) directly from the awake state, skipping light, stage 1 sleep? I've been having some problems in the middle of the night trying to fall back asleep after I awaken. I can fall asleep now okay at bedtime because I'm dead tired, but if I happen to get up at 5 or 6 AM I will attempt to go back to sleep. But since I'm not as tired in the morning compared to at night its much more difficult, and worse my stupid body cannot distinguish between trying to relax into light sleep and meditating. When I tried meditating some weeks back I usually end up twitching, spasming, and sometimes I get agitated, which is exactly what happens to me in the morning entering stage 1 sleep; as soon as I enter this state a spasm would jolt me awake again. Hell, rarely it actually spreads to my body and I get vibrations leading to out of body experiences early in the morning.

There was a recent thread here about sleep http://www.thetaobum...sleeping-hours/ where someone mentioned using "autosuggestion and positive reinforcement [to drop directly into deep sleep].

Does anyone here know exactly how to do this? I figured if I can skip stage 1 sleep and directly enter stage 2-3 from the waking state, I can avoid getting jolted awake by twitching and spasming which only occur during light sleep. Anyone ?

Thanks!

Grab any Yoga Nidra cd and give it a try. It's worked for me in the past. Also, you may want to eat two kiwi fruits an hour or two before bed and see if that helps as well - Good luck

I can't remember where I learned this - a Suzanne Friedman book? I think it is called 'insomnia qigong.'

Sitting, rub the sole of one foot with the palm of the other hand - 100 times. Back and forth across (or around) K1/bubbling spring.

As you rub, feel the warmth from the friction rising through your body and melting any tension in your body. Then do the other foot, same.

Lie down. Inhale slowly filling your body, then exhale feeling any heat/energy/tension drain from crown of your head towards K1/bubbling spring in your foot. Repeat 36 times.

Helps me sleep through the night and if I wake to pee, it helps me fall back to sleep immediately.

Jerry Alan Johnson has a more elaborate version of this in one of his books.