Photo

How many Taoists are out there in the TTB....?

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#65 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

nemesis: Erroneous Cleanliness

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3078 posts
  • Interests:Tao and The Divine Virtue
    道德

Putting Classical Chinese thoughts into English words.

The space between the notes...

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Was Ghandi or Martin Luther King Jr. a Taoist? They both well understood the principles of Wu Wei and put them into action on a mass scale. I'm sure they would say "I'm Hindu" or "I'm Christian" or just "no, I'm just a human being."

Save me some doughnuts you guys, and some of that pop too. Will there be slow dancing?

Be humble, believe in yourself.

"Will is a functionary of desire. When you have many desires, then your mind is scattered; when your mind is scattered, then your will deteriorates. When your will deteriorates, then thought does not attain its object." (from "Master of Demon Valley" trans. by Thomas Cleary

#66 Marblehead

Marblehead

Untitled

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23092 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

Will there be slow dancing?

I hope not. I get horny when I'm slow dancing.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

post-42212-0-11315200-1380315953.jpg          I reserve the right to change my mind.          post-42212-0-03947700-1380315992.jpg

Peace & Contentment!

#67 Birch

Birch

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6007 posts
  • Interests:Whatever works

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

It was up to the reader. That is what Yin-Yang was all about. It works both ways. Different personality has to be treated differently. If one is serious, then, I'm serious and vice versa.

Versatile does not IMO = 'Taoist'.
"Chi is free!"- "Don't give your chi to your practice" Both unknown, if you know where these come from, let me know!

#68 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6761 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

Versatile does not IMO = 'Taoist'.

What if it was done in a positive Taoist way, don't you think follow the principles of Tao was being versatile in harmony with the Universe.......???
靜觀其變 以靜制動
Beware of the unexpected silently
Handle adversity with calmness

Posted Image

#69 Birch

Birch

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6007 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

I wouldn't assume the Taoist way to be either positive or negative. But you know what you're doing, right? My personal experience so far has been that contrived responses to situations are just that. Contrived. I reckon people can smell that stuff a mile off:-)
"Chi is free!"- "Don't give your chi to your practice" Both unknown, if you know where these come from, let me know!

#70 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6761 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

I wouldn't assume the Taoist way to be either positive or negative. But you know what you're doing, right? My personal experience so far has been that contrived responses to situations are just that. Contrived. I reckon people can smell that stuff a mile off:-)

I had been following your thinking for awhile. Maybe that was the style in your writing, your train of thoughts seems to me was specious and nebulous. In your thinking, the way I've perceived, there was no Yin nor Yang. However, to Taoists, there are either "Yin" or "Yang", or "Yin-Yang" in their thinking. Sometimes, there are things do go from Yin to Yang and vice versa.

The duality of Yin-Yang are integrated as a One. Sometimes, one may be at the opposite extreme of the other but the direction of one extreme will be starting to go reverse toward the other extreme.

I see what you are getting at by saying that "people can smell that stuff a mile off". However, the original intent may be basically good but the starting point may not be adequate to your personal satisfaction. :wacko:
靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#71 Protector

Protector

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4748 posts
  • Interests:Pepsi, Fanta, Mustard, Meat, Fresh apples, Females, Learning, Old Cartoons, That Feeling, Horse Stance

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hmmmmmm let's see what Taoists do...

Taoists like to take long walks

This is probably from my listening to the Korean side of Taoism where there's a lot of taekwondo and leg exercises, and the terrain is covered in hills so might as well use the strong legs
There's also a lot of mountain climbing and on these mountains there's a lot of circle walking, and as long as you live on a mountain you need to learn how to breath right
I remember a story about a long living person being asked by a general about longevity and one of the tips was long walks and sitting in seiza with the butt not touching the ground so there will be some exercise while there's nowhere to walk
By the way, HORSE STANCE!!!

I will never forget you, report button *salutes*

Sword cuts in two pieces
Cutting two pieces is easy
Cutting two into one is hard part
You don't cut opponent
It is against universal law
You cut two into one

GRYFFINDOR

matamune2_normal.gif
It would mean a lot to me if you read this.

#72 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6761 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Have you noticed that the Koreans talk with a deep voice. It is because they talk from the dan tien. BTW The Koreans have a scream day. They have a custom to yell the ass off all day long from the morning and on, once a year, in the streets.

Edited by ChiDragon, 29 June 2012 - 01:21 PM.

靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#73 Stosh

Stosh

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

Have you noticed that the Koreans talk with a deep voice. It is because they talk from the dan tien. BTW The Koreans have a scream day. They have a custom to yell the ass off all day long from the morning and on, once a year, in the streets.

Now that you mention it , my boss does that too!

but he isnt Korean
and it seems more often Hmmmmmm <_<

Edited by Stosh, 29 June 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#74 Birch

Birch

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6007 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

I had been following your thinking for awhile. Maybe that was the style in your writing, your train of thoughts seems to me was specious and nebulous. In your thinking, the way I've perceived, there was no Yin nor Yang. However, to Taoists, there are either "Yin" or "Yang", or "Yin-Yang" in their thinking. Sometimes, there are things do go from Yin to Yang and vice versa.

The duality of Yin-Yang are integrated as a One. Sometimes, one may be at the opposite extreme of the other but the direction of one extreme will be starting to go reverse toward the other extreme.

I see what you are getting at by saying that "people can smell that stuff a mile off". However, the original intent may be basically good but the starting point may not be adequate to your personal satisfaction. :wacko:

Nebulous, sounds about right. Specious, will need to look that up but it didn't sound complementary (or complimentary even).
It's nice to think other people are making an effort to follow my thinking 'for a while'.

I feel a bit special now (adds sparkly pony but in horse stance to be, er, hardcore Taoist)

Edit: So 'specious' defines as 'plausible but wrong'. Lots of things are like that. In what ways are/were my postings about qi-gong wrong? I don't mind if I am wrong about it BTW. Thx!

Edited by -K-, 01 July 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#75 Brian

Brian

The sun, moon and stars are in my body...

• Technician
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

Nebulous, sounds about right. Specious, will need to look that up but it didn't sound complementary (or complimentary even).
It's nice to think other people are making an effort to follow my thinking 'for a while'.

I feel a bit special now (adds sparkly pony but in horse stance to be, er, hardcore Taoist)

Edit: So 'specious' defines as 'plausible but wrong'. Lots of things are like that. In what ways are/were my postings about qi-gong wrong? I don't mind if I am wrong about it BTW. Thx!

Posted Image
Posted Image
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. -- Albert Einstein

#76 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6761 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ditto...!!!
靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#77 White Wolf Running On Air

White Wolf Running On Air

----------------

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2247 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

I listened to Alan Watts a few times, does that count? :)

#78 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6761 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

I listened to Alan Watts a few times, does that count? :)

No....:D
靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#79 julianlaboy

julianlaboy

Tao Wizard

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:B

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

I love everyone's sense of humor here!

#80 julianlaboy

julianlaboy

Tao Wizard

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:B

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

1 .What are the qualities of a Taoist....???
2. What is the first quality to be expected in a Taoist...???
3. If you want to be a Taoist, what do you need to do to become one...???
4. If you think that you are a Taoist now, what makes you think that you are one...???
5. Since you have thought that you are a Taoist, did you follow all the principles or have you ever violated any of these principles....???

You may respond by answering anyone of the question.

Any quality may be called "Taoist". Anyone can argue that they are "true Taoists" because they do "this" or "that". I don't think that absolute definitions are part of a Taoist perspective. Taoism typically holds that circumstances are what define everything in life. And of course, circumstances goes hand in hand with change. Sometimes someone will need (will it be useful?) a consistent and immutable definition, sometimes they won't.

It's kind of paradoxical because then "coupling with change" may become part of a consistent definition of Taoism...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users