the sea once more
at my sand castle.

#2 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6940 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Can someone explain this principle in one's own word....???

This is a nice place to give some more examples for the Tai Ji principle....??? It would be very interesting if we can hear them from some of the serious practitioners.
靜觀其變 以靜制動
Beware of the unexpected silently
Handle adversity with calmness

Posted Image

#3 mYTHmAKER

mYTHmAKER

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2816 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

Edited by mYTHmAKER, 04 June 2012 - 07:29 PM.

Each day
I
maintain
my body,
only to find
the sea once more
at my sand castle.

#4 Jetsun

Jetsun

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3007 posts
  • Interests:The Fourth Way, Buddhism, Vortex Healing, Stillness

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/18294324

Thanks that is interesting

#5 manitou

manitou

Tao Bum!

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3134 posts
  • Interests:Evolving the self.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

Really interesting. What's astounding to me is how the mosquito manages to pull itself away from the drop before it hits the ground. Talk about Will....

#6 Protector

Protector

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4931 posts
  • Interests:Pepsi, Fanta, Mustard, Meat, Fresh apples, Females, Learning, Old Cartoons, That Feeling, Horse Stance

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

Huajin?

Abandon all hope ye who enter here

#7 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6940 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

Huajin?

化勁(huajin)...not a chance because the mosquito is in the air. Besides, the water droplet is a liquid not a solid. Thus haujin cannot be done with a liquid.

The secret was when the force of the water droplet is at the lowest resistance, the mosquito flies away horizontally. That's what I would do, if I am the mosquito.

BTW Here is the Tai Ji principle was applied:

Describing the the results, Dr Hu cited the Chinese martial art of Tai chi.
"There is a philosophy that if you don't resist the force of your opponent, you won't feel it," he explained.
"That's why they don't feel the force; they simply join the drop, become one item and travel together."

But what is the principle...???

Edited by ChiDragon, 05 June 2012 - 07:54 AM.

靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#8 manitou

manitou

Tao Bum!

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3134 posts
  • Interests:Evolving the self.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

The soft overcomes the hard?

#9 Jetsun

Jetsun

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3007 posts
  • Interests:The Fourth Way, Buddhism, Vortex Healing, Stillness

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

But what is the principle...???

The principle of non resistance?

#10 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

The soft overcomes the hard?

Yes, very good...:)

The Yin subdues the Yang. It is also the principle of non resistance.

Here is the detail I was hoping for in terms of the Yin-Yang concept:
The falling force of water droplet was active which is Yang. The mosquito is passive which is Yin.

The mosquito drops along at the speed when the droplet touch on its body so there is no resistance against the droplet. No resistance means no weight on its body. Since there is no weight to hold the mosquito in place, then the mosquito can fly away freely to escape the impact onto the ground.

This is equivalent to push hand in Tai Ji. The droplet is pushing and the mosquito is pulling. The only difference, in this case, was done vertically in midair.

Edited by ChiDragon, 05 June 2012 - 08:46 AM.

靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#11 Taomeow

Taomeow

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4857 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for the cool link, Mythmaker.

ChiDragon, the principle used is Stick-Adhere-Follow. (Please don't offer the Chinese characters for stick-adhere-follow by way of your usual refutation. I'm talking taiji, not comparative linguistics.)

#12 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

Why are you getting all upset about this...??? There is no tolerance at all if something was said differently....??? What has this world is coming to. Everybody is so up tight about the choice of words.

Stick-Adhere-Follow that is a western term, sorry there is no character equivalent for that. FYI if it wasn't the Yin-yang concept, the notion of "Stick-Adhere-Follow" would not have been existed.

Please, do we have to keep going fighting like this...??? Can we just stick to the point of interest and talk about it without going into any emotional distress.

Edited by ChiDragon, 05 June 2012 - 11:36 AM.

靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#13 mYTHmAKER

mYTHmAKER

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2816 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

I wonder if they did any experiments where the mosquito was on the ground.
Would it be song/relaxed enough to absorb?
Each day
I
maintain
my body,
only to find
the sea once more
at my sand castle.

#14 mYTHmAKER

mYTHmAKER

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2816 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

Each day
I
maintain
my body,
only to find
the sea once more
at my sand castle.

#15 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6940 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

In this case, the mosquito has no descending space. Thus the droplet will hit it at 20mph. The mosquito did not practice Tai Ji. I don't think it knows how to sung or relax.

Edited by ChiDragon, 05 June 2012 - 11:35 AM.

靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#16 mYTHmAKER

mYTHmAKER

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2816 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

In this case, the mosquito has no descending space. Thus the droplet will hit it 20mph. The mosquito did not practice Tai Ji. I don't think it knows how to sung or relax.

Humans have to practice
lower forms of life - LOL - are one with Tao and therefore have no need to practice sung.
it would be interesting to see what happens to mosquito's hit by a raindrop when they are on the ground-
they may have an advanced tactic we haven't yet 'learned' or maybe when it rains they leave the ground-
mosquito's hang out in water which would give them some cushion.
Each day
I
maintain
my body,
only to find
the sea once more
at my sand castle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users