Sign in to follow this  
mYTHmAKER

Insects survive the rain using Tai Chi principles

Can someone explain this principle in one's own word....???

This is a nice place to give some more examples for the Tai Ji principle....??? It would be very interesting if we can hear them from some of the serious practitioners.

Really interesting. What's astounding to me is how the mosquito manages to pull itself away from the drop before it hits the ground. Talk about Will....

Huajin?

化勁(huajin)...not a chance because the mosquito is in the air. Besides, the water droplet is a liquid not a solid. Thus haujin cannot be done with a liquid.

The secret was when the force of the water droplet is at the lowest resistance, the mosquito flies away horizontally. That's what I would do, if I am the mosquito.

BTW Here is the Tai Ji principle was applied:

Describing the the results, Dr Hu cited the Chinese martial art of Tai chi.

"There is a philosophy that if you don't resist the force of your opponent, you won't feel it," he explained.

"That's why they don't feel the force; they simply join the drop, become one item and travel together."

But what is the principle...???

Edited by ChiDragon

The soft overcomes the hard?

Yes, very good...:)

The Yin subdues the Yang. It is also the principle of non resistance.

Here is the detail I was hoping for in terms of the Yin-Yang concept:

The falling force of water droplet was active which is Yang. The mosquito is passive which is Yin.

The mosquito drops along at the speed when the droplet touch on its body so there is no resistance against the droplet. No resistance means no weight on its body. Since there is no weight to hold the mosquito in place, then the mosquito can fly away freely to escape the impact onto the ground.

This is equivalent to push hand in Tai Ji. The droplet is pushing and the mosquito is pulling. The only difference, in this case, was done vertically in midair.

Edited by ChiDragon

Thanks for the cool link, Mythmaker.

ChiDragon, the principle used is Stick-Adhere-Follow. (Please don't offer the Chinese characters for stick-adhere-follow by way of your usual refutation. I'm talking taiji, not comparative linguistics.)

Why are you getting all upset about this...??? There is no tolerance at all if something was said differently....??? What has this world is coming to. Everybody is so up tight about the choice of words.

Stick-Adhere-Follow that is a western term, sorry there is no character equivalent for that. FYI if it wasn't the Yin-yang concept, the notion of "Stick-Adhere-Follow" would not have been existed.

Please, do we have to keep going fighting like this...??? Can we just stick to the point of interest and talk about it without going into any emotional distress.

Edited by ChiDragon

I wonder if they did any experiments where the mosquito was on the ground.

Would it be song/relaxed enough to absorb?

In this case, the mosquito has no descending space. Thus the droplet will hit it at 20mph. The mosquito did not practice Tai Ji. I don't think it knows how to sung or relax.

Edited by ChiDragon

In this case, the mosquito has no descending space. Thus the droplet will hit it 20mph. The mosquito did not practice Tai Ji. I don't think it knows how to sung or relax.

Humans have to practice

lower forms of life - LOL - are one with Tao and therefore have no need to practice sung.

it would be interesting to see what happens to mosquito's hit by a raindrop when they are on the ground-

they may have an advanced tactic we haven't yet 'learned' or maybe when it rains they leave the ground-

mosquito's hang out in water which would give them some cushion.

All right. Yin-yang is the principle to start grasping at Lesson Number 1. We are talking Lesson Number 10,000. Here's Stick-Adhere-Follow from that lesson as expressed in The Song of Push Hands, a taiji classic highly recommended to your attention:

Yin Jin Luo Kong He Ji Chu Zhan Nian Lian Sui Bu Diu Ding

Wang5-331x43.png

Wang6-328x43.png

Translation:

Lure him in to fall into emptiness1, then integrate and release your whole-body power (he) to throw him down.

Use zhan (sticking up), nian (adhering to), lian (linking to), and sui (following with), and never do diu (lose

connection or no enough) or ding (resist directly against a force or too much).

I don't think it was appropriate to say "the mosquito lure the water droplet" here. Anyway, it is the principle that counts even though there is a slight difference in the action.

Besides, 引進落空 "guided into emptiness" is a better translation than "Lure him in to fall into emptiness1"

Sorry, again I am opening my big mouth.

Use zhan (sticking up), nian (adhering to), lian (linking to), and sui (following with),

which is what I said when I said Stick-Adhere-Follow is the taiji principle mosquitoes use. Which you said was a Western idea.

Q: how many times can a mosquito bite a taoist who uses taiji principles?

The Song of Push Hands was beautiful Taomeow - thanks for posting that. The economy of motion is beautiful, like a flowing dance. Less is more, it appears. I've never involved myself in martial arts but have wanted to in the past -- but back when I used to have to be able to fight at the drop of a hat (cop) there developed intuitively an understanding of economy of motion combined with throwing off balance and surprising the perpetrator. Back then, when I went through the academy, they didn't have the fusion of East and West yet when it came to training - it was still all baton and handcuffs. thankfully, one instructor changed all that on the LAPD - he introduced the martial arts into police training, and things have improved greatly as to police preparedness.

I remain in awe of the cumulative knowledge on this website. Thanks again -

The Song of Push Hands was beautiful Taomeow - thanks for posting that. The economy of motion is beautiful, like a flowing dance. Less is more, it appears. I've never involved myself in martial arts but have wanted to in the past -- but back when I used to have to be able to fight at the drop of a hat (cop) there developed intuitively an understanding of economy of motion combined with throwing off balance and surprising the perpetrator. Back then, when I went through the academy, they didn't have the fusion of East and West yet when it came to training - it was still all baton and handcuffs. thankfully, one instructor changed all that on the LAPD - he introduced the martial arts into police training, and things have improved greatly as to police preparedness.

I remain in awe of the cumulative knowledge on this website. Thanks again -

Manitou,

thanks for the cop's perspective! There was also a guy who introduced taiji to NYPD. I remember talking online to one of his students.

As for cops using minimal force, I think nothing beats the devastating techinque of the French gendarmes who, back in the day, inserted a fish hook on a fish line into the apprehended suspect's tender anatomy parts, and walked with him trotting at their side, docile and compliant to the max despite no handcuffs, wherever they needed to take him. Shockingly brilliant no-exertion cruelty.

As for cops using minimal force, I think nothing beats the devastating techinque of the French gendarmes who, back in the day, inserted a fish hook on a fish line into the apprehended suspect's tender anatomy parts, and walked with him trotting at their side, docile and compliant to the max despite no handcuffs, wherever they needed to take him. Shockingly brilliant no-exertion cruelty.

Sonovabitch, that's a tactile image I didn't need...owww...*cradles his tender anatomy parts*

Hahaha...but yes, shockingly brilliant.

Manitou,

thanks for the cop's perspective! There was also a guy who introduced taiji to NYPD. I remember talking online to one of his students.

Arfing brilliant :lol:

Sign in to follow this