Trunk

DGS's Dizzying DVD Collection

The Dragon Gate Santuary dvd collection is dizzying (over 100 dvds). They are relatively expensive ($108). There's not a rigid sequence of how they fit together. So the size of the collection is a formidable barrier for a beginner to start learning that system. Few students have the $-time-energy to wade through DGS's dvds trying to sort out "what's going on?".

Yes you can e-mail Lao Xie and ask, "what should I get?", but also you can order whatever you want, whatever resonantly calls to you, in any sequence. There's a couple of views to balance: One, that to some extent, there is linear sequence (some things are requisite building blocks for the next thing/s) there is also the view of a web of interconnectedness (every practice enhances and contributes to every other practice). Someone might start anywhere and go anywhere from there, we are all different, hard to tell what will call to us when, and it's all interconnected in lots of ways.

So, the premise of this thread is for students to share their own experience of the DGS dvds, so that other students might navigate more efficiently (more efficiently spend money time energy). That is, sharing some bit of what you got out of a specific DGS dvd and perhaps how that related to other DGS practices, which dvds worked efficiently together. Personal experience.

Certainly traditional and "official" ideas of sequence (from any source) are welcome, but also I want to avoid wars of "what is the official hard-line sequence?". Let's keep some flexibility. smile.gif

Naming the dvds is also often confusing. Sometimes there are multiple names for a single dvd. Sometimes dvd titles are mentioned but aren't in quotes so you don't know if it's an actual title as printed on the dvd or it's casual reference to a practice/dvd title. So, when mentioning a dvd please (ideally) write the title in full as it is on the dvd, especially when mentioning it for the 1st time in this thread:
- write the whole title of the dvd, as printed on the dvd, in quotes (later edit: please at least do that, list the real title, otherwise it makes discussing and ordering a confusing mess for everyone.)
- if available, provide a link to an image of the dvd (probably from fb or ebay). With so many dvds and DGS's scattered web presence, it's helpful to include the link to the item so that all the rest of us are not searching & searching & mostly lost. laugh.gif

Probably we'll get more concise from there (acronyms like KYMQ), but please be explicit at least for first mention.

- Trunk

This thread is in reference to the dvds available through Dragon Gate Sanctuary (DGS) by Lao Xie (Sifu Chris Matsuo). The more extensive listings of the dvds are on:
- Lao Xie's facebook photoset entitled, "My DVD Collection"
- DGS's ebay page
Any of the dvds are available directly from Lao Xie (Sifu Matsuo) via PayPal to the e-mail address [email protected].
single dvd: $108
3-in-1 dvd: $200
Just include in the paypal message area which item you are ordering and make sure that your mailing address is correct. (Thank you! to Sifu Matsuo for making this material directly available.)

Lao Xie's response re: the basic idea of starting this open discussion thread

That sounds great Keith. My outlines have been swimming circles for years... there's a method to the madness, but the subjects keep overlapping. I think a great way to sort.

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 1

I recall Sifu Matsuo having a screen-name on the TaoBums? It would be great if we could get his input. Or perhaps some one could coax him over here and get advice from him directly?

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

I'm not including the exact names or the pictures...that is a lot of extra work for me. People will be able to recognize what I'm talking about and maybe it will inform their decisions...

• A friend let me view their "kuji kiri" dvd which is listed on this page. I love their style of doing it, and that's the way I now practice it. LOOOVE. It also includes info on the specific mudras which isn't anywhere else as far as I know. Viewing this inspired me to look into the ninjutsu lineage where this specific kuji-in form may have come from, and now I am a beginner at learning Maui Saito Ninjitsu (I don't know for sure if they actually teach this kuji-in form in that school, haven't asked and of course it's not on the first "Bloodline Ninjitsu" DVD set).

• Personal Mandala DVD is really interesting, and something I have worked with. A great way of taking control of your life and bringing some order, as well as changing things. Good for getting perspective. Being balanced. This may be my favorite DVD that I've seen by DGS due to its clarity and usefulness. Just my opinion.

• The "jin shin" mudras DVD. There is slightly more info on this DVD, one extra mudra (which is also included in the DGS kuji kiri dvd), but I also found the same 9 jin-shin mudras in a 14 dollar book. I would personally just get that inexpensive book.

• The kwan yin qigong DVD. Shares a few similarities to the Kunlun system, but it is apparently from another teacher that Chris Matsuo learned from. It's all in one form, has some extra stuff that is unique, and it does things differently for sure, with IMO a different result from Kunlun. This was part of a 3-in-1 DVD which also included the jin shin mudras DVD from above.

• There was also a reiki DVD which was mostly about understanding things. It may have been called Hirai family secrets. There wasn't any actual hands on healing to it. For instance, the thing I got most from it was that if you bring snacks into the workplace it will make people more open to you. :lol: It was interesting and good but I don't personally recommend spending that amount of money on this.

No disrespect intended in sharing my honest opinions...not even trying to be "critical" of the school. I like them. Just trying to help people looking at purchasing the DVDs. _/\_

EDIT: Also for the anal retentive here, I'm not changing my post. Get over it.

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 6

Only a short question: Why there is no downloadable version? 100 DVD is quite a mass.

Anyone who is considering helping out in this thread, beware...

Due to not posting the EXACT titles of DVDs (there aren't exact titles, the listed names change) and not sharing where the DVD is located exactly (there isn't a specific place, DGS always changes things, rotates and removes DVDs from their listings)...Trunk decided it was appropriate to continually harass me in private messages and act with total disrespect. When I asked for for him to stop, and for an apology, he denied that request and said an apology was not forthcoming.

WTF.

I hope he doesn't do this for anyone else that just decides they want to help.

Sometimes, this fucking forum... :angry:

• Like 1

Though Scotty's & my exchange quickly degenerated, he actually makes at least one good point:

DGS always changes things, rotates and removes DVDs from their listings

DGS does rotate what's on ebay and on their .com website so links to those places would be out-date soon. Why bother?

It does help to have a name that matches what's on the dvd, especially when there's more than 1 dvd on a topic. Silk reeling has 3 or 4 dvds, for instance. There are other phrases that are repeated.

• Like 1

I think this is a wonderful idea!!

I am interested in the tibetan burning palm DVD and the mother palm linking set

While I only got to watch the whipping/vibrating palm set DVD once, Zerostao has been nice enough to drill the vibrating snake palms into my head. This set is known as rainbow body, we learn our body is not solid. We learn to make shake the spine and I can must say I feel like these palms played a big part in my liver healing. Something I would like to learn more about is how the Wu Family vibratiting snake palms is how they relate to the chakras. Zerostao had informed me that Lao Xie said to do the set in the order they are taught.

gotta run for now, but got much more input...

Edited by jaysahnztao
  • Like 1

I'm not including the exact names or the pictures...that is a lot of extra work for me.

Sorry man, looking up the exact name of a DVD is not "a lot of extra work" - how do you get practices done if that is your idea of a lot of extra work? Its a simple request to keep the identification of material coherent and it is not at all too much to ask. imho.

• Like 4

Sorry man, looking up the exact name of a DVD is not "a lot of extra work"

Actually, it is. I will explain below...

- how do you get practices done if that is your idea of a lot of extra work?

What the fuck is with the disrespect, joeblast? I almost didn't answer you because of this. Don't you realize I'm already aggravated? Also to answer this stupid question: when you have things to do in life then spend close to all of your free time practicing, this type of thing is really unnecessary extra work.

Okay, anyway...here are some reasons why it's too much extra work....

1) First of all, the pictures that are on the DVDs don't match up with the pictures on ebay. So that part of Trunk's request is too much extra work...I'm not going to scan or take a picture of each DVD (actually I can't, since I don't have them anymore).

2) The "Personal Mandala" dvd that I discussed. On ebay it's listed as "Space Clearing and Personal Mandala". However, if I remember correctly, when I got it a few years ago it was simply listed as "personal mandala DVD". So point #2 is that the names change...that my title was actually correct at one point in time...and it may be correct at a future time. Motivated students will be able to find it no matter what it's called...all it takes is an email to Chris which you have to do anyway to order it.

3) The titles are also rotated out and sometimes removed from sale. Maybe in a few weeks, the personal mandala DVD won't even be listed at all. This type of thing is not my responsibility...take issue with Dragon Gate Sanctuary. If I were running shit, I would list every single title at all times in one place. I have tried to be clear and helpful here...but there's only so much one can do.

4) In the personal mandala example...people who have a desire to find this will easily be able to. There are not multiple DVDs with the title personal mandala. It is clearly in the title, "Space clearing and PERSONAL MANDALA". People who really care about this will email Chris Matsuo and ask him if they are getting the right DVD (they should do this already regardless of my post, since DGS is already as we know a confusing mess).

5) During multiple moves, when my parents were helping me, I think they threw out my DGS dvds. So I don't know the exact title on the DVD itself. Finding that info would be a hell of a lot of extra work for me (unnecessary work). I'd have to email Chris, and I doubt he'd even give the exact title given his laid back attitude about all of this. In fact, the exact titles that are printed on the DVDs aren't even the same titles that are used in ebay listings, for instance.

So, I tried my best. And this will be the last time I answer anyone on this topic...I'm done here. I have already helped and owe nothing to anyone on this.

Peace. _/\_

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

i dont think Matsuo has a TTB screen name, becoz, once i told him of a post in the PP section that i wanted his opinion on and he told me he couldnt get into that area of this site.

my review of the Bagua Iron Shirt dvd by Christopher Matsuo, Lao Xie.

i tried to upload an image but couldnt. maybe i can add in an edit.

this was one of the first dvds i ordered from DGS. it is short form and contains a higher level breathing technique that will help

jumpstart one on the way. shows how to open and close, rise and drill, rolling, wrapping, backwards reeling, hiding flower under leaf, and heaven palm.

continued use will strengthen the bones and improve flexibility. Also, continued use will deepen ones understanding. this short form

emphasizes drilling, rolling, expanding, encircling(wrapping). also how the substantial and the unsubstantial mutually produce the other.

these are the fundamental arm movements of baguazhang (drilling, rolling, wrapping, expanding) that are used to manifest jin.

i really enjoy this form and continue to learn lessons from it. for example, from this form i have found that if i combine expanding and embracing my opponent is confused as to my intentions. if i combine rolling and drilling my power is strong and very penetrating.

this form raises energy.

if you have difficulty with the included breathing technique, not to worry, just do the form and breathe naturally, eventually you will be able

to do the higher level breathing.

this is my experience with this form and my take on it only. from my current level of understanding.

• Like 2

So, I tried my best. And this will be the last time I answer anyone on this topic...I'm done here. I have already helped and owe nothing to anyone on this.

Peace. _/\_

Scotty,

Each one of your points you wrote above is well taken. I didn't see some of the things that you were saying right away and the tone of our pm conversation took a dive. I apologize for my part in that. Also, again, thanks for the reviews. Genuinely.

- Keith

I'm wondering if any of you have seen the following DVD, and could tell me if it includes the Kunlun Dragon posture that Trunk has written about elsewhere in the forum:

Bagua Zhang: Awakening the Dragon Within: 8 Energy Set

(Note: this is not a DGS product, but features Sifu Matsuo, so hopefully it is okay to ask here)

Thanks in advance,

Dainin

I'm wondering if any of you have seen the following DVD, and could tell me if it includes the Kunlun Dragon posture that Trunk has written about elsewhere in the forum:

Bagua Zhang: Awakening the Dragon Within: 8 Energy Set

(Note: this is not a DGS product, but features Sifu Matsuo, so hopefully it is okay to ask here)

Thanks in advance,

Dainin

the 3 dragons of kunlun are on the Heart of Bagua dvd.

the Awakening the Dragon Within is most likely a new title for the 8 energy set and i think on some dvds it is called the 8 power set.

lazy cloud has aske me a couple of times, why i dont own this dvd. i have talked to Lao Xie about it, it is good material and well worth it.

the set takes about an hour to do. this dvd may seem "a bit new agey" (Matsuo) but bagua is ancient agey, right?! :D

• Like 3

196937_1021556714198_1683618791_22574_1883552_n.jpg

this is the one i have from 2002. and i watched it again this morning, it has been awhile since i have viewed the dvd, and i was thinking if i

gave a review, then maybe, watch it again :lol: and glad i did.

the above review is based on what i have learned from the dvd and doing the form for 3 years.

watching it again this morning i will add,

the dvd runs only about 26 minutes. DGS narrator says that it strengthens bones, improves flexibility and increases internal power.

i left out the internal power, but i think it is a given that anything bagua is going to increase internal power.

also the narrator says the 4 movements emphasize rolling, changing, stretching, and wrapping. but if you play with this form awhile,

i think you will understand why i stated as i did above.

there is great detail given on the focal points of the movements.

there is a nice slow redundancy to ensure that anyone will get the breathing pattern and the movements and how to coordinate them together.

to quote the narrator "lets try this again"

there is excellent explanation of the finer points of the breathing method and the movements.

the 3 dragons of kunlun are on the Heart of Bagua dvd.

"Heart of Bagua" is a DGS nickname commonly used in conversation, for the dvd that is actually labelled, "Bagua Circle Walking: Single and Double Palm Change". My impression is that it's the key DGS dvd that teaches foundational bagua positions and movements as well as some exercises that stand well on their own.

I've been practicing pieces from this dvd and find it immensely valuable. More than worth it for the 3 dragons of Kunlun exercises alone. There are some teachings about squats that I've been absolutely *gah!* ohmy.gif about recently. I've always been kinda tight and this has given me tips that is loosening me up into squats. (It's been so long I just never thought it'd happen.) I've gotten so much from this dvd and I've just barely gotten into the bagua parts of it (which is what the bulk of the dvd is about).

~ later edit ~

Please, you more experienced DGS guys, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this (this or any of my DGS posts). I've still a pretty limited view of the DGS system and am finding my way.

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 2

Bagua Circle Walking: Single and Double Palm Change[/url]". My impression is that it's the key DGS dvd that teaches foundational bagua positions and movements as well as some exercises that stand well on their own.

Trunk,

the thread is an excellent initiative.

Just to dispel any ambiguities: Is this DVD suitable for the complete beginner?

You also applauded the Kwan Yin Magnetic qigong in the past. There is a thread about it somewhere. How would -you- describe how these practices - bagua and Kwan Yin MQ - work and complement each other, i.e. why not just Bagua?

Regards

Mandrake

bagua circle walking: single and double palm change , imo is suitable for beginning level person with interest in baguazhang.

"i.e. why not just Bagua?" this is the route i have chosen to take.

also the Red Lightning/13 elbows form is a great foundation for baguazhang.

i will be reviewing these dvds along with Bagua Silk Reeling soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

200517_1021560234286_1683618791_22600_2035429_n.jpg

Silk Reeling Palm change

workshop tempe arizona 2000

i wanted to review this dvd becoz of how closely it relates to the Bagua Iron Shirt dvd i previously reviewed.

there is the rolling, turning, stretching, wrapping,

rising and drilling, falling and overturning.

ok bagua stuff. and another short dvd

this dvd is in a very different style from the Bagua Iron Shirt dvd.

this one is very relaxed and my first view of Lao Xie's sense of humor. relaxed.

so even if there are only 2 or 3 new moves to the Iron Shirt form,

Lao Xie shares knowledge and insight that leads to skills:

moving your consciousness outside your body

exercises for projecting energy

yielding away from energy

scanning with your palm and plugging your palm to 3 dan tiens

sensitizing your palms

Lao Xie explains the differences of walking the circle clockwise and counter clockwise

he introduces shen skill shen gong

mind and heart and how to begin to liberate yourself from the grid.

• Like 2

Being that the silk reeling movements Zerostao was kind enough to transmit to me directly, I would imagine this DVD would be a sure fire way to get one's body connect(I feel these exercises were integral in my growth!) and the heaven and silk palm form is just beautiful and their is no other way to get the silk reeeling unless we train it. This is where I find forms like these HIGHlY important because I use this one (well, in fact all of the exercises Zerostao has directly transmitted to me) as a chi kung as well!

I have been thinking what do I want from baguazhang, I know it GIVES ME WHAT I NEED, thus making for a better all around life experience.

Scott kinda blew them off as warms ups, while the silk reeling IS an exellent warm up, it is FAR BEYOND a warm up as it is it's own form of energy and it helps one to get their shen together! This is without going into the awesome martial apps with vibrating palms.

I love to watch and do it, sometimes I include this form mbetwix red lightning where I usually put in the single palm change.

BREATHE!

Here the heaven and silk form that I earnedd from ZT. From what I can gather this is the older DVD. They got the the 2012 water dragon special wich comes with the original WD DVD! Dang, I gotta big 'ol wishlist

Trunk ae you notcing a pattern here?

Whih DVD is this set from?

I think these two clips are from the newer silk reeling DVDs.

Edited by jaysahnztao

Which DVD is this set from?

Am wondering the same thing. A good amount of information just in that 6 minutes!

I have a question for all you bagua practitioners; do the main benefits from baguazhang come from actually walking the circle or more so from the silk reeling involved throughout the set? It seems like a lot of the real movement and connectedness can be learned through silk reeling, leaving the walking to more or less link everything together. Don't know much about bagua so that may be totally off the mark; either way from what I have seen it is a very beautiful form.

I thoroughly enjoy the silk reeling aspect, so am wondering where the best place to start for that is? Maybe here?

200517_1021560234286_1683618791_22600_2035429_n.jpg

EDIT: Think I was quick to assume silk reeling was the only aspect included in the form. I see other techniques (if you will) such as, vibrating palms, squats, whipping palm, etc. are definitely included. I guess my main interest lies in the silk reeling aspect.

Edited by don_vedo