dwai

Tryambak Baba ka chela

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1910 posts
  • Interests:0

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

--
A sinking spiral, rising upward, it opens and closes by turns...

#2 vortex

vortex

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3613 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

According to his website:
Posted Image

Guo Shilei, a young master of Yang style taiji and Ma style bagua.

Guo had our reporter experience his nei li (internal power) for himself. He told our reporter that he would only use a tenth of his full strength, and that this could not do any lasting damage. Even though our reporter took up a ready stance, a light pat on the shoulder from Guo was enough to shake his entire body, it took him several mintutes to recover.
Posted Image
In order to test Guo’s gongfu, our reporter asked a well-built onlooker to punch Guo in the stomach. The onlooker rushed up to Guo from a distance of 3 metres and punched Guo in the belly, only to be knocked down to the floor, complaining that his fist hurt; only after 10 more tries (with exactly the same results) did the onlooker give up.

Shaolin Iron Arm to Neijiaquan

“My family is from Pingding Shan in Henan province, but later moved to Zhengzhou (the provincial capital). I was really weak when I was little, so I started to learn external martial arts like Shaolin boxing. When I was around 10 or so, I used to love practicing iron arm, I would knock my arms against trees whenever I could.” Upon inspection by our reporter, Guo’s forearm was indeed extremely hard.

”When I was 15 I met my teacher Shi Chongying and, thinking that my iron arm was already pretty awesome, I asked him to hit my arm. To my surprise, a light touch from him was enough to numb my arm for an entire afternoon. After that experience, I was determined to study neijiaquan (meaning xingyi, bagua and taiji) with Shi.

Guo Shilei’s idol, his teacher Shi Chongying
Posted Image
Guo Shilei's idol is his teacher, Shi Chongying, a 66-year old retired martial arts professor from Zhengzhou University.
Posted Image
“I can’t mention my teacher without talking about my shiye (grand-teacher) Wang Jiaofu. Wang was from Shandong and had originally studied praying mantis before he met Hu Laiyi. He studied from Hu for 34 years, right up until his passing. Wang was a strict, strange man, who in teaching his students would never say something more than 3 times. Even so, he produced a fair number of excellent martial artists.”

The Search for High-Level Masters

In his search, he visited Sichuan, Yunnan, Hebei, Shenzhen amongst others.

The real masters are not the ones producing the DVDs, they’re hidden amongst ordinary people. In a farming village, that old man using a walking stick to walk could very well be a martial arts master who could kill a man with one blow.In my search, I met 5 or 6 real high-level masters, but the problem is they were all getting on in years by the time I met them. On one occasion when I was in Shenzhen’s Lychee Park (Lizhi Gongyuan) I met a 76-year old gentleman surnamed Fei who had practiced taiji for over 50 years. That day, he was pushing hands with some other people in the park, when someone urged me to have a push with him. The moment he made contact with me, he said “You’ve been practicing for at least 20 years”. This kind of ability (to discern how long someone has been practicing) is something that only comes with mastery.”

“That said, however, I still think that the highest-level master I’ve ever met is my own teacher. Fighting him is like fighting a shadow, I can never land a blow on him, yet his every move is targeting a vital point.”

Actually, the taiji that you see in most DVDs, parks, etc is, at most, just ‘taiji cao’ (calisthenics), not real kungfu.”

A lot of people who see me push my students 3 or 4 metres away can’t believe it. In reality, it’s not that mysterious, it’s just the borrowing skill (jie li) of internal martial arts. For example, a Spanish bullfighter would never try and go head-to-head with the bull, but rather evades the bull’s charge and then delivers the crucial blow. When I patted your shoulder just now, the fajin had started in my legs much earlier, by the time it got to my hands it had become spiral power. The penetrative nature of the fajin is what caused you to feel pain. Actually, real kungfu is about body mechanics, it has a scientific basis in biology, physics and mechanics. As long as your method is right and you practice hard enough, you will succeed. The problem is a lot of people nowadays don’t check whether their method is correct, they think that they can ‘get it’ just by watching DVDs. In actuality, there’s no subsitute for real hands-on teaching from a master.”

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. - Carl Jung
The ability to see in realtime that experience is not self is called enlightenment. - Kenneth Folk
Knowledge can be taught, but skill must be practiced.
Don’t move the body – you train your Qi. Don’t move your mind – you train your Spirit. - Fong Ha
I used to sit in full-lotus even on the can but there's not a lot of space in my bathroom. - drewhempel

#3 OldChi

OldChi

Young Wipper Snapper

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3080 posts
  • Interests:Cultivation, Silat and Joy

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Wow i don't practice Bagua and have only practiced a little bit of Tai Chi and i was very impressed by this video .

This was some deep shit:

"Anyway, regardless of whether you are doing tuishou (push hands) or sahnshou (free sparring) you should let all the force the opponent projects at you fall upon you as falling upon a sphere. The Rolling of your sphere allows you to avoid the opponents attacking power. Then go with the rolling of the sphere and present another surface to him." Guo Shifu

Gonna give this some deep contemplation and see how it integrates into my Bokken practice.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen, 29 April 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#4 Friend

Friend

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

[quote name='vortex' date='29 April 2012 - 06:59 PM' timestamp='1335722346' “That said, however, I still think that the highest-level master I’ve ever met is my own teacher. Fighting him is like fighting a shadow, I can never land a blow on him, yet his every move is targeting a vital point.”
[/quote]

I find this amazing and his skills are really high.
I was in the past had done for a Tai Chi Demonstration to grab the hand of this teacher with at much force I could and he performed an "AN Technique" from the "grasping birds tail" and he had the chance to move his weight behind this technique. I was send same away put upwards for 1,5 meters, at least could land on my feet.
As I remember he was demonstrating fighting application and why stiffness is not a good idea. (Say he is only health oriented, still amazing)

And here Sifu Guo not even move very much and the people fly.
Again it seem everone has his teacher as idol someone who is unreachable

http://sites.google....6-shi-chongying

"Guo Shifu has often told us how much more accomplished Shi Shiye is than he is, and that fighting or pushing hands with Shi Shiye remains tasks of guaranteed defeat for him."

When this runs back the lineage Yang Lu Chan is undefeatable.
Since he is "Mr. Every Steps draw blood".

Best,
Q

#5 baiqi

baiqi

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Very impressive, especially for someone this young. Besides, he seems to teach well, making the principles (correct angles, unbalance from the first touch etc) very clear.

#6 Ish

Ish

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for posting the vids, indeed he reveals the "secret"; practicing the foundation excercises for hours and hours without ceasing, theres no way you can build that level of internal power otherwise.
I'd love to experience being uprooted with a gentle turn of the arm, seems like some people in other arts love to act this out when none of them actually have the internal skill to manifest this ability.

#7 dwai

dwai

Tryambak Baba ka chela

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1910 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for posting the vids, indeed he reveals the "secret"; practicing the foundation excercises for hours and hours without ceasing, theres no way you can build that level of internal power otherwise.
I'd love to experience being uprooted with a gentle turn of the arm, seems like some people in other arts love to act this out when none of them actually have the internal skill to manifest this ability.

there are several other similar videos here --

http://www.youtube.c...er/baguamaweiqi

<div><br></div><div>Here's another amazing video --</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

Edited by dwai, 30 April 2012 - 06:24 PM.

--

#8 spiraltao

spiraltao

alchemy inside

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:learning to feel the tao within

BAGUAZHANG QIGONG anything to keep the hands alive and the heart open.

LIVING PROOF OF QIGONG RIGHT HERE!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

I have been absorbing as much as possible from Shifu Guo's youtube page for the last couple of years. I like his posts on brush knee-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM06huB184s&feature=relmfu and beng quan lectures.[youtube]http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu

Edited by jaysahnztao, 01 May 2012 - 03:07 AM.

Absorb what is useful/Reject What is USELESS

(SOMEHOW) Not gonna die 'tll I'm killed by death

BAGUAZHANG BABY

"Patience Is the GREATEST VIRTUE"

#9 virtuous pig

virtuous pig

• The Tao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

dvd's do provided a pathway to get too more advanced practices later on and generate interest to westerners in general, so I think they are important and am grateful for those who bother to put the teaching out there for us

#10 z00se

z00se

Earth Friend

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:Qigong, Kykoshin, Running, Iron Palm, Partyin

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

Very impressive. I had a tai chi teacher in china and he was very good but this guy is definately much better. He's amazing

www.healthcultivation.com  - My book slowly being published online for free.

http://www.healthcul...CMDiagnosis.php - TCM Online Diagnosis

http://www.healthcul...dEnergetics.php - TCM Food Energetics

#11 astralc

astralc

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:tai chi, astral travel, astrology, psychology, healing, aquaponics

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

this guy is good, with a very solid centre and has great chi power. I would love to meet up with him in 20 years time when he has mellowed and has lived some more, when he has some wisdom of life besides fighting.

Edited by astralc, 20 May 2012 - 02:17 AM.

#12 flowing hands

flowing hands

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

I watched these two videos and wasn't that much impressed. His dummies (students)were exactly that, they had no centre, no strength and very weak legs, nor sinking, anyone could have pushed them over, even a beginner. It always looks impressive when one guy pushes another over or out of the way. Do it with a very heavy inanimate object and one will then see if the instructor has any fa jin.

www.life-in-crisis.info

#13 Friend

Friend

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

I watched these two videos and wasn't that much impressed. His dummies (students)were exactly that, they had no centre, no strength and very weak legs, nor sinking, anyone could have pushed them over, even a beginner. It always looks impressive when one guy pushes another over or out of the way. Do it with a very heavy inanimate object and one will then see if the instructor has any fa jin.

Flowing hands,

the thing is you get rarely attack by inanimate objects.
It is also something psychological. The students see and know what could happen
if you not allow to happen you will get more of the force. The centre from the feet is suck up when they stand in front of Guo Sifu. Especially when you get hit and have to repeat it, even your mind does not fear, the body does.

Confidence is one of strength that has to be developed in the martial arts so one can actual relax when one has confrontation in front of the hands.
When two body have equal ability and muscular strength then the minds decide who is stronger.

Best,
Q

#14 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6436 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Good point, Friend..... ;)

Edited by ChiDragon, 20 May 2012 - 04:03 PM.

靜觀其變 以靜制動
Beware of the unexpected silently
Handle adversity with calmness

380069181_icon60x60.png

#15 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6436 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

To see the strength of Fa Jin practitioner is by observing how far back of the opponent had been moved and by his reaction.

If they are at equal level, the opponent wouldn't have been moved or just fell half way back instead of flying away with no resistance as shown in the video.

靜觀其變 以靜制動
Beware of the unexpected silently
Handle adversity with calmness

380069181_icon60x60.png

#16 dwai

dwai

Tryambak Baba ka chela

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1910 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Its difficult to gauge these things without actually crossing hands with someone. Wht i liked about his videos was thr power apparent in the execution. Have you seen anything tht is impressive on video? Do share :)
--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users