#97 林愛偉

林愛偉

Namo Amitabha Buddha

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1971 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

Mark Foote, on 06 May 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:
The trick is never to mount in the first place, per the Ch'an master Foyan; he said there were only two diseases at his monastery, searching for an ox while riding an ox and being mounted on an ox unable to dismount. He asked, isn't it better never to mount in the first place?

"Searching for an ox while riding an ox.."

Means while already walking the path and utilizing its methods, one doesn't see the fruits of their practice just yet, and so, frustrated, looking outside for the path. Basically, looking for the goodies when the cultivator isn't ready to taste them yet.

"being mounted on an ox unable to dismount"

This one points to the cultivator not able to put down their methods when it is time to do so. Usually, cultivators become so attached to their methods, that they can not go any further due to that attachment.
When the time comes that the gradual practice begins to gain momentum for a sudden realization, sometimes the cultivator feels too attached to let go, change, their practice.

Sudden realization is because of gradual practice over so many lifetimes. Gradual practice is because there isn't enough nourishment in the mind ground for the realization to be "brought forth"

Both Sudden and Gradual themselves are simply illusions. It is simply the conditions in the mind of the cultivator which decide how that cultivator will proceed. Yet, it is the cultivator who is only able to see that which is gradual and or realize the sudden. All according ot the conditions of the mind.

Lin Ai Wei

归真哲文网上学会

Gui Zhen Philo-Cultural Online Society

#98 Marblehead

Marblehead

Untitled

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22040 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

I realized something wonderful the other day. "Real" time, or as close as we can get to understanding the illusion of time at all, is reflected in the tiny flower as it opens in the morning, slowly offers its face up to the sun every day, and follows the sun's path until it closes at the end of the day and sleeps.

My Moss Roses and Perslane (both of the same family of plants) do that except they call it a day when the sun gets too hot, normally between noon and two o'clock. I try to emulate them.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

post-42212-0-11315200-1380315953.jpg          I reserve the right to change my mind.          post-42212-0-03947700-1380315992.jpg

Peace & Contentment!

#99 manitou

manitou

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • Interests:Evolving the self.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:38 AM

My Moss Roses and Perslane (both of the same family of plants) do that except they call it a day when the sun gets too hot, normally between noon and two o'clock. I try to emulate them.

Naptime. Good thinking :blush:

#100 manitou

manitou

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

This one points to the cultivator not able to put down their methods when it is time to do so. Usually, cultivators become so attached to their methods, that they can not go any further due to that attachment.

Really nicely put, I think. And it seems that the very reason cultivators are unable to put down their methods is Ego. My guess is that the practitioner's ego is at risk of falling into the trap of buying it's own self-importance. I've noticed that the more trappings a practitioner uses (I'm thinking shamanic in particular), the more they're buying into their own 'personality', their own physical identity as a shaman, a healer, an energy worker, whatever.

And this is the very thing that is the largest impediment to our effectiveness as healers and practitioners. In order to really get the energy flow that we seek for healing purposes, we have to get out of our own way, in an ego sense. True healing, or at least I've found it so, is done from a place of Impersonality. We are not 'causing' the healing; rather, we are the vessel that the VIV (Very Intelligent Void) uses for the healing, IF IT IS APPROPRIATE. Sometimes it is not appropriate for the person to be healed; in which case, the practitioner must flow with that as well, not letting their ego get in the way.

From the 30 years of inner work that I have done through recovery, I know firsthand how ego clouds the vision; the trick seems to be to get to the point where we can see out of Everybody's eyes; after all, we are all one and contain the same Void Intelligence within. I agree with Mythmaker and Marbles about the fact that the Personal and Impersonal are already merged within us. I'm pretty sure it's been there since inception. But what hasn't been there is Our Awareness Of It on a daily basis, one chore at a time, one disappointment at a time, one irritation at a time. The Void is lurking in there, just waiting for us to become aware that It is not a theory out in space somewhere; that it is Here and Now and Waiting for us to just pick it up, wear it, use it. Our god-nature. Our void-nature.

The cloak won't fit if the ego is too large.

#101 Mark Foote

Mark Foote

PooBah

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:equalibrioception, proprioception, gravity

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

From the 30 years of inner work that I have done through recovery, I know firsthand how ego clouds the vision; the trick seems to be to get to the point where we can see out of Everybody's eyes; after all, we are all one and contain the same Void Intelligence within. I agree with Mythmaker and Marbles about the fact that the Personal and Impersonal are already merged within us. I'm pretty sure it's been there since inception. But what hasn't been there is Our Awareness Of It on a daily basis, one chore at a time, one disappointment at a time, one irritation at a time. The Void is lurking in there, just waiting for us to become aware that It is not a theory out in space somewhere; that it is Here and Now and Waiting for us to just pick it up, wear it, use it. Our god-nature. Our void-nature.

The cloak won't fit if the ego is too large.

Soon as I can get this dang cloak on, I'm sure I have something to say here; thing seems to need alteration, who altered my cloak since I hung it in the closet last night!

I like your "sign" of doing nothing, manitou; this morning I am falling down doing nothing, ox and rider. The morning glory has the magic, alright. Rules of posture they have in Soto Zen, and yet we all have to find our own, I'm a firm believer in that even if it takes me a whole lifetime to discover the turning toward the sun open.

Not sure about the ox-herding pictures reflecting gradual and sudden. I read they are Chinese, and that the Japanese added the last two in the common ten-picture declension- the last two being the empty circle and the market-place. The Chinese version ended at the pine bough in the circle representing nature, according to what I read. If they are Zen or Ch'an pictures, how do they accord with sudden realization, the hallmark of the school (on the other hand, one could ask why if Zen and Ch'an are schools of sudden realization do the masters speak of 20-30 years ripening after the initial realization)? If they are Taoist, where in the classical literature of Taoism is there any reference to horse and cart, or ox and rider, I wonder? I don't know Taoist literature, it might be there.

Very hard, to turn toward the sun all day. Impossible, not to turn toward the sun all day. Ha ha!

Letting Go in Action: the Practice of Zazen                          rockyDuskVertical_50x89.jpg                                                       

#102 vortex

vortex

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3613 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

My beautiful butterfly started bugging me. It was a little too happy and trivial for the place I'm in at the present, despite the change it represented. I'm really looking for a root avatar, but I'm not finding one. I came across this one and it reminded me more of 'becoming'. So this is my temporary one until the root avatar manifests. Somehow.

Interesting, perhaps the "uprooted" butterfly is now looking for a place to land?

Your current search for a root avatar, mirrors your current search for your root IRL...

I had to laugh at the synchronicity of being butted in the arm by a very headstrong goat up here at the ranch. He butted me so badly it bruised.

but there is a really odd manifestation that just played out. is still playing out. since landing on the floor of this trailer in the mountains, where at some level I still lie there vibrating after leaving the 27 year relationship - i manifested a huge blockage. not just any blockage - a blockage of immense magnitude. i forgot to close the valves on my sewer lines the last time I emptied the tanks - and what resulted is a mountain of solidified poop that most folks would have called a plumber for (and maybe a bulldozer, lol).

The goat shows us how to compose a firm foundation on which to stand and aids us in developing confidence as we head towards new. Goat teaches us how to create a solid foundation on which to stand and helps us develop confidence as we move towards new heights achievements.

The mountain goat is well known for its surefootedness on high rocky ledges, with its excellent climbing abilities due to its highly flexible skeleton.

When the mountain goat shows up in ones life, one should carefully observe their current foundation and ensure it is helping them appropriately. It can also mean you must let go of the ‘security of your insecurity’, basically the routines and beliefs that you are comfortable with and which stop you from trying new things. Try new things that are relevant to your growth, and maybe even exceeds it.

The M. Goat lives on rock, and therefore, is about creating a solid foundation for one’s personal life and spiritual life. M. Goat also sends the message about moving higher in career, life, thoughts, and wellness. Although the pickings seem slim, M. Goat always finds food and may be seen happily lying on a ledge, chewing its cud (regurgitated grass). Abundance and trust in finding that abundance is another message that M. Goat shares with all. In a very tough environment, M. Goat thrives and raises its family with many of the off spring being twins. The message in its behaviour is to move through the rocky areas of life with grace and dignity.

M. Goat shows us how to explore the unknown, the uncharted areas that allow it to go where other animals cannot. As we move through the unfamiliar, we too move into areas that take us beyond the ordinary. By living high in the mountains, M. Goat is also a reminder to continually connect with The Divine. Mountains represent wisdom and are said to be the Wisdom Keepers of the Earth. M. Goat walks through wisdom daily, and learns from taking chances, and with its appearance, encourages each of us to try something new.

Also, perhaps the "scapegoat" was ramming your intestinal meridians...releasing a huge dump (full of grief from your lungs) in your life.

The large intestine is called the 'Minister of Transportation'. It controls the transformation of digestive wastes from liquid to solid state and transports the solids onwards and outwards for excretion through the rectum. It plays a major role in the balance and purity of bodily fluids and assists the lungs in controlling the skin's pores and perspiration.
Posted Image
Thus sluggish bowels may be stimulated and constipation cured by deep diaphragmic breathing and by tonifying lung energy. Conversely, congested lungs and clogged bronchial passages may be cleared by purging the bowels.

The Large Intestine relationship to the Lungs makes it equally affected by the emotions of sadness, grief, and worry. An energetic imbalance in the Large Intestine can result in physical weakness and provoke emotional introversion, accompanied by feelings of depression, irritability, discouragement, distress and apathy. Strong emotions of fear or panic can produce an energetic-stool reflex reaction in the Large Intestine resulting in a spontaneous defecation.

Associated with the heart by Fire energy, the small intestine controls the more basic emotions, as reflected in the Chinese term duan chang ('broken intestines'), which is equivalent to the English term 'broken heart'. Its energy meridian runs into the head, where it influences the function of the pituitary gland, the 'master gland' whose secretions regulate growth, metabolism, immunity, sexuality, and the entire endocrine system.
Posted Image
The Small Intestine influences the patient's mental clarity, judgment, and powers of discernment. The ability to distinguish relevant issues with clarity before making a decision is attributed to the Small Intestine.

I dunno, just some thoughts... :D

Edited by vortex, 08 May 2012 - 04:26 PM.

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. - Carl Jung
The ability to see in realtime that experience is not self is called enlightenment. - Kenneth Folk
Knowledge can be taught, but skill must be practiced.
Donít move the body Ė you train your Qi. Donít move your mind Ė you train your Spirit. - Fong Ha
I used to sit in full-lotus even on the can but there's not a lot of space in my bathroom. - drewhempel

#103 manitou

manitou

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

Vortex, I hardly know what to say. Your triangulation was incredible. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that.

The mountain goat thing makes total sense, particularly at this point in my life. Finding one's own balance, finding one's own strength, one's own food, one's own ledge...it just makes perfect sense. The mountain of poop thing is certainly telling as well. Luckily, that horrible situation resolved nicely. I actually boiled a bunch of Smooth Move tea and threw it down there. Figured it works good for constipation, which is truly what my sewer tank had.

The metaphors run rampant.

btw, love your new avatar. I could sit and watch it all day.

Edited by manitou, 09 May 2012 - 05:54 AM.

#104 manitou

manitou

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

I'm doing my probably 30th reading of The Impersonal Life. One of those books that says different things each time you read it, because your eyes have evolved. I just came across a wonderful passage, pertaining to manifestation.

In the Eternal there is no Time, or Space, or Individuality, and it is only by reason of the phenomenon of Thought being born from the womb of Mind into the world of Matter that the illusions of Time and Space and Individulity occur; the thought, or Creature, acquiring the consciousness of separateness from its Thinker or Creator.

So it was then that the first tendency to think yourself as separate from Me was born. The complete consciousness of separation did not become established until long after.

In the beginning, when You thus first entered into Earth expression, obeying the impulse I had sent forth through My concentrated Thought, You, one of My Attributes, surrounded or clothed Your Self with My Idea of My Self in expression as the particular Attribute You represented. You being the animating Force of that Idea.

In other words, My Idea of My Self expressing that particular Attribute then became the Soul of Your particular expression. But the Idea or Soul is not You, remember, for You are really a part of Me, being My Self in expression through the medium of that particular Attribute.

Having clothed Your Self with My Idea, this Idea then, through the necessity of Its be-ing, immediately began to attract to Itself the necessary Thought Substance requisite for the expression of that particular Attribute, and to build and shape it into My Image and Likeness. It thus became a Holy Temple, filled with My living Presence, because inhabited by You, one of My Divine Attributes.

This aligns so very well with the TTC, in my opinion. It seems that the journey we're on finally takes us to a place where we realize we really have no individuality at all; that we are only the animated appendage of the Dao, the real Essence of us. And riding the ox in this context is to try and keep this in mind always - that seems to be the challenge. Who we Are and What We're Manifesting.

I think we're manifesting Love, if we're doing it right.

#105 3bob

3bob

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2560 posts
  • Interests:Om

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hello Manitou,

Glad you liked the partial picture (jpg) from several posts back. The complete form of it can be found with a search engine used for: Jean-Francois-Millet, Shepherdess-with-her-flock. (I'm not sure about copyrights related to the reposting of pictures from various sources... some put marks on their pictures and some don't?)

Good day, Bob

#106 rainbowvein

rainbowvein

☼ ★ ☉☌☽ ☯ ☆ ☄

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5306 posts
  • Interests:heart tenderizers

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hi manitou,

Here's a nice root pic:

Posted Image

And many more from google.

Feel free to PM me which one you like with your email address. I am happy to edit your pic so that you can use it as your avatar. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users