Sign in to follow this  
robaire

forest dwelling ....

@informer ... impressive again!

Biology is not my thing ... so forgive if this is a dumb question but is there some advantage to the dikaryote over the monokaryote having the increased growth rate ... or is it pure research?

@informer ... impressive again!

Biology is not my thing ... so forgive if this is a dumb question but is there some advantage to the dikaryote over the monokaryote having the increased growth rate ... or is it pure research?

Basidiomycetes are similar to humans in that they reproduce sexually, so a monokaryote is like a haploid and dikaryote is kinda like a diploid. A monokaryote will not produce mushrooms, it must mate (or find a partner) then it may produce mushrooms.

A dikaryote that colonizes faster will likely produce mushrooms sooner, because it will fruit after it has completely colonized the available substrate in most cases. It is a lot of guess work because you can't determine much about fruiting capabilities from the hyphae. The mycelium would have to be fruited to determine biological efficiency. So the colonization speed is a useful phenotype, but most of the other variables or possible phenotypes are unknown until mushrooms begin growing.

Edited by Informer

Wow, what an amazing post zerostao!

I quoted this part of what you wrote becouse it says a lot. Forest is sooooooooooo healing. Incredible. In my opinion one of the big reasons people get ill so much becouse we dont spend time outdoors. Except if literally couple of hours a week or a little more depending on the season.(city folk that is)

Most of my collegues at work are like this for fact, and when they do go out its to the bar or resturant -- which is techinacly staying inside again. I feel sorry when they get ill or are super lethargic ,but they prefer to take pill. It is my wish to stimulate at least people around me somehow to understand the dynamics better.

Not spending time in nature can cause serious problems on many levels becouse we loose contact very organic part of nature and with that a part of ourselves , we stop understanding life and feel so much separation and loss.

We start treating the nature like a slave , enviromental problems abaound, as well as many ilnesses develop from this problem nowdays too.

Going for a run in the park now. ;)

to loosely paraphrase chapter 71 TTC

the sage is sick of sickness.

therefore the sage is not sick.

yesterday wanderings took me into the red river gorge area of kentucky.

i met a gentleman there who reminded me of this by john muir

"Few are altogether deaf to the preaching of pine trees. Their sermons on the mountains go to our hearts; and if people in general could be got into the woods, even for once, to hear the trees speak for themselves, all difficulties in the way of forest preservation would vanish"

• Like 1

I have reached the end of the journey after my intense experience at Wollumbin.

I will write a blog entry and post it here.

I will continue writing in this forum and giving personal advice based on my own experience as usual.

Best to all and love and freedom from maya to all sentient beings.

We are all ONE.

:)

:)

"Anyway, Wollumbin (1,156 m) Mt Warning, the cloud catcher,"

interesting , as yesterday in red river gorge, after a serious lightning storm, i trekked down with a couple of friends a cliff line path,

(nevermind after some gooseberry wine and 4 red stripes) as any mis-step woulda been like a several hundred feet fall.

anyways, found a cliff shelter/rock house , great spot for meditation or just getting away from it all , except raw natural beauty.

but from that view, i witnessed clouds forming from the forest floor and rising to the tree tops and then going about their way.

a butterfly floated by and a hawk came and checked us out.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this