108 replies to this topic

#97 JustARandomPanda

JustARandomPanda

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Snowmonki sent me a PM directing me to the following Forum post at BK Frantzis website. I include it here for future Taobums in case they have a similar problem to mine. Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem.

Energy System too Weak for Standing Qi Gong

I am very encouraged by reading this link as for the first time I feel there might actually be hope someday I can do both BKF's Energy Gates and Zhan Zhuang.

Thank you so much for that link Snowmonki! :wub:

#98 snowmonki

snowmonki

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem.

I am very encouraged by reading this link as for the first time I feel there might actually be hope someday I can do both BKF's Energy Gates and Zhan Zhuang.

Thank you so much for that link Snowmonki! :wub:

You can always be sure someone else has been there! this is what I see forum's like the Bums being about. I'm glad it was helpful.

When I started I had chronic pain that prevented me from even standing up at all on some days. I had had physio's trying to get me to strengthen my legs, but the reality was that if you test the muscles they were perfectly strong. It is very much HOW you utilise that strength and allow the effort to not all be placed upon a part rather than the whole.

I'm sure you will do fine with Bruce's neigong, or anything else for that matter.

Best :wub:

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." Hakuin

http://about.me/tian.yi

http://about.me/daoyin

http://www.eightgates.co.uk/

http://medicalqigonguk.wordpress.com/

#99 Friend

Friend

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

If you can not stand long do squats into the lowest comfortable position up and down.

#100 Jeramiah Zeitigeist

Jeramiah Zeitigeist

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Healing. Qigong, Ba Gua, Chen Taijichuan, Metta Bhavana meditation, Flying Phoenix, other weird stuff.......living with compassion, not eating animals, so Veganism, and riding a bicycle very, very fast ! And soon to be a published author too !

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Interesting article on ZZ from the I-Chuan perspective;

http://imos-journal.net/?p=1138

Also there are two kinds of men you can never trust. Those who don't drink - and those who practice the horse stance.
chi 2012

#101 GreytoWhite

GreytoWhite

If you do random qigong crap you're gonna have a bad time.

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • Interests:Lotsa stuff.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

One of the reasons one trains with eyes open is because the eyes are usually unconsciously connected to the arms and neck. Usually a teacher who does "eye training" will have a more martial focus. When you remove the connection of your eye movement with body movement you telegraph your intent less than you would had you not trained your eyes. I think this also has good impact on one's inner alchemy as well. If one is able to look upon something without the body reacting then there is less chance of the mind interfering with what one is looking upon. This article caught my attention recently.

http://www.scienceda...20228114040.htm

Also there are two kinds of men you can never trust. Those who don't drink - and those who practice the horse stance.

#102 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6797 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

One of the reasons one trains with eyes open is because the eyes are usually unconsciously connected to the arms and neck. Usually a teacher who does "eye training" will have a more martial focus. When you remove the connection of your eye movement with body movement you telegraph your intent less than you would had you not trained your eyes. I think this also has good impact on one's inner alchemy as well. If one is able to look upon something without the body reacting then there is less chance of the mind interfering with what one is looking upon. This article caught my attention recently.

http://www.scienceda...20228114040.htm

Very good informative article. The eye movement in sync with the arm movement is accomplished internally by the internal alchemy. The open eye was to detect the external movement around you. It is a matter of how fast can your eyes send a signal to have the brain to respond by sending a signal for the arms to move for counteracting any attack.

Closing the eyes during Zhan Zhuang will increase the sensitive for the sense of hearing. However, I do not see with the eyes open in ZZ has any significant benefit as oppose to the eyes close. Of course, this is only my personal opinion.
靜觀其變 以靜制動
Beware of the unexpected silently
Handle adversity with calmness

Posted Image

#103 Nilo

Nilo

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

My advice is to just stand with knees slightly bent, and wiggle around or do slow sqauts when energy starts to feel difficult, and go back to standing.

I call this standing meditation and it has helped me far more than any system of zhan zuhang.

#104 silent noise

silent noise

• The Tao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hi folks, I do not know if this thread is still alive, last post was dec.
As this is my first post in the forum, I will drop a short note only.
I came in touch with ZZ last may, went to a two-day-course with some chinese guy.
Big surprise there.
Finally, after practicing qigong and tai chi on and off for decades,
a dim light went on.
The I chuan folks do a lot of ZZ and there is some material out there, even free downloads (pdf)
I lately watched the DVDs by Bruce Frantzis (Energy Arts)- awsome stuff, I can highly recommend the
series, more than ten hours of teaching san ti with lots of martial arts and TCM information.

#105 idquest

idquest

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

I lately watched the DVDs by Bruce Frantzis (Energy Arts)- awsome stuff, I can highly recommend the
series, more than ten hours of teaching san ti with lots of martial arts and TCM information.

I wanted to buy this DVD set but decided against it. From what I understand there were 4 DVD's on Yi-Chuan and 6 or 7 DVD's on Hsin-Yi. I wasn't intrested in Hsin-Yi so I thought it would be too expensive to pay 11 DVD's price for only 4 DVD's.

Does he teach San Ti only or some other postures as well?

#106 silent noise

silent noise

• The Tao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

I wanted to buy this DVD set but decided against it. From what I understand there were 4 DVD's on Yi-Chuan and 6 or 7 DVD's on Hsin-Yi. I wasn't intrested in Hsin-Yi so I thought it would be too expensive to pay 11 DVD's price for only 4 DVD's.

Does he teach San Ti only or some other postures as well?

All I can say is that the Hsing Yi stuff he teaches goes a lot deeper than the four discs of I-Chuan.
Just imagine: 7 hours of teaching for a basic movement and stopping and holding postures.
He really covers a lot of basic stuff, principles of the internal arts, applications for combat
and also the medical and spiritual aspects of standing practice.

This matierial has been an absolute game changer for me.
The best way I can put it after experiences with live trainings with various taiji an qigong teachers
is that I gradually realize how to fill the empty forms with awareness and energy.

Of course it depends on where you start from.

I messed up my body for many years, doing very heavy labour in constructing, farm work and such.
Ended up with pain all over, muscle cramps, numb toes, almost every joint locked and very limited flexibility.

Last year I had all teeth pulled out from my upper jaw, lots of hidden inflamations out of teeth treated with root canal work. Had a cronic sinus infection for more than 8 years. Jaw blocked, neck stiff, shoulders locked

Doing all kinds of qigong made me aware of my condition and I decided not to end up as a living wreck.
Realizing the chronic pain as something not natural and utterly avoidable was a start.

Standing medidation can be too hard sometimes, one has to get rid of a hypertense state first.
Breathing, sitting, lying, walking, anything that relaxes is doing the job.
It is called dis-ease for a reason!

After practising ZZ for less than a year I feel a lot better, it is a key that opens many doors, it seems.
Anyway, I regard the DVD Set as a real treasure and I will watch the material many more times.

Regarding dental problems that can really mess up your living experience just put root canal in the search
or read up at Weston Price and his work.

#107 spiraltao

spiraltao

nei kung bear

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:learning to feel the tao within

BAGUAZHANG QIGONG anything to keep the hands alive and the heart open.

LIVING PROOF OF QIGONG RIGHT HERE!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for sharing your progress, Silent Noise!

I am currently in a pickle for a "sinus closure" in regards to payment for the procedure.

Interested in any input on just killing the nerve and keeping the tooth? (I have considered this)

Edited by jaysahnztao, 21 March 2012 - 07:25 AM.

Absorb what is useful/Reject What is USELESS

(SOMEHOW) Not gonna die 'tll I'm killed by death

BAGUAZHANG BABY

"Patience Is the GREATEST VIRTUE"

#108 silent noise

silent noise

• The Tao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for sharing your progress, Silent Noise!

I am currently in a pickle for a "sinus closure" in regards to payment for the procedure.

Interested in any input on just killing the nerve and keeping the tooth? (I have considered this)

You might read this for a start:
http://www.greenmedi...h-my-mouth-life

#109 joeblast

joeblast

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7059 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

that's just so pleasing :o

yeah, I had one root canal'd, I have to be more meticulous cleaning it as opposed to my other teeth. but after reading that and reviewing processes....yeesh, just rip the damn thing out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users