#33 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

nemesis: Erroneous Cleanliness

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2952 posts
  • Interests:Tao and The Divine Virtue
    道德

Putting Classical Chinese thoughts into English words.

If you’re going on a journey, it helps to study maps first. But you won't really know until you get there.

Wu Wei: The groove that is grooved is not enduring the groove.

The space between the notes...

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

Also, for those unfamiliar with it, if your buying a traditional tea set for high quality Chinese tea, I highly recommend getting one with 'smelling cups.' It's pretty amazing how floral quality tea smells with these. You'll see a demonstration of how to use them about 5:50 into this video:

Be humble, believe in yourself.

"Will is a functionary of desire. When you have many desires, then your mind is scattered; when your mind is scattered, then your will deteriorates. When your will deteriorates, then thought does not attain its object." (from "Master of Demon Valley" trans. by Thomas Cleary

#34 Cameron

Cameron

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

Had a great tea class this weekend.

Just getting into the Oolong. Gooooood, good, good, good, good, good.

#35 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

nemesis: Erroneous Cleanliness

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2952 posts
  • Interests:Tao and The Divine Virtue
    道德

Putting Classical Chinese thoughts into English words.

If you’re going on a journey, it helps to study maps first. But you won't really know until you get there.

Wu Wei: The groove that is grooved is not enduring the groove.

The space between the notes...

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

Awesome book. Highly, highly recommend it for tea lovers, Zen poetry lovers especially.

Posted Image

Be humble, believe in yourself.

"Will is a functionary of desire. When you have many desires, then your mind is scattered; when your mind is scattered, then your will deteriorates. When your will deteriorates, then thought does not attain its object." (from "Master of Demon Valley" trans. by Thomas Cleary

#36 mantis

mantis

incense

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1420 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

I just got my order for some Long Jing green tea today, they were nice enough to add in a little sample of some other tea, good stuff. I'm quite terrible at preparing tea and whatnot as I just started drinking it recently, although I go through quite a bit (3-5 cups a day).
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold a higher esteem to those who think alike than those who think differently - Friedrich Nietzsche

#37 humbleone

humbleone

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Spontaneous Movement Qigong, Zhan Zhuang

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:21 AM

A slight departure from chinese tea. I like drinking Moroccan tea, always served in a thick glass. sweet green tea served with mint or sage. It is something about drinking tea in a glass, looking at the colors I find heart warming :)

#38 Trunk

Trunk

Tao Bum!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
  • Interests:bagua qigong

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

Health effects of tea. (wiki article) B)

Music as Compassionate Middle Way: Guitars4Vets.org

Dragon Gate Sanctuary's bagua qigong

all good things come from grace,

grace comes from art,

and art comes from work.

- from the movie, A River Runs Through It

#39 konchog uma

konchog uma

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2922 posts
  • Interests:-
    skygazing
    soothsaying
    swashbuckling

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

Rehmannia
Dong Quai
Eleuthero
Fo Ti Tien
Pau D'Arco
Astragalus
Reishi Mushroom
Ginseng (Chinese)

boiled for 1 hr

I brew a gallon at a time and bottle it for the next 2 weeks. I'm going to add cordyceps and maybe some other mushrooms to it when i place my next order with mountainroseherbs.com... any of you have experience with different fungii? Any recommendations?? I am curious about chaga and cordyceps, but open to any advice about it
"All the philosophical theories that exist have been created by the mistaken dualistic minds of human beings. in the realm of philosophy, that which today is considered true, may tomorrow be proved to be false. No one can guarantee a philosophy's validity. Because of this any intellectual way of seeing whatsoever is always partial and relative. The fact is that there is no truth to see or to confirm logically; rather what one needs to do is to discover just how much the mind continually limits itself in a condition of dualism." -Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

#40 zanshin

zanshin

Tao Bum!

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

Put some ginger root slices in your tea when you have a cold.

or honey and a nice shot of bourbon.

hmm...my head is feeling sort of stuffy now.
Come sweet joy and purge melancholy.

#41 thelerner

thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5926 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

or honey and a nice shot of bourbon.

hmm...my head is feeling sort of stuffy now.

This is more for taste then health, but I'll slick up a lime or lemon thinly, roll it in sugar then bag the slices and put'em in the freezer. Very good in tea, plus I don't like tea very hot, so it cools it down a bit.
Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#42 Pu-erh

Pu-erh

Tao Master

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Taijiquan, meditation, reading, writing, tea

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Well you can probably guess which kind of tea is my favorite ;)

This fall I have been drinking Imperial Pu-erh every morning while I study Japanese. It is a high grade of loose-leaf pu-erh with a silky mouth feel and rich, smooth flavor, but not as earthy, smoky, or fishy as many other pu-erhs.

I used to work at a tea shop so I have some familiarity with different types of tea. Each one really is different in terms of the best tea ware to use, water temperature, brewing time, quantity of leaf per cup, etc. And there is a difference between gongfu cha and the way one would normally prepare the tea at home.

Some of my favorite teas are: Black River Mountain (pu-erh), Imperial Pu-erh, Lu Shan Clouds & Mist (green), Bai Hao Yinzhen (Silver Needle, the highest grade of white tea), Baochong (a light, floral oolong), and Uji Gyokuro (highest grade of Japanese green).

The benefits of tea really are profound. L-theanine reduces cortisol in the blood stream and even produces alpha waves in the brain, as well as being a powerful antiviral. And that amino acid is only one constituent in tea's amazing chemistry :)

#43 Protector

Protector

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4722 posts
  • Interests:Pepsi, Fanta, Mustard, Meat, Fresh apples, Females, Learning, Old Cartoons, That Feeling, Horse Stance

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

I will never forget you, report button *salutes*

Sword cuts in two pieces
Cutting two pieces is easy
Cutting two into one is hard part
You don't cut opponent
It is against universal law
You cut two into one

GRYFFINDOR

matamune2_normal.gif
It would mean a lot to me if you read this.

#44 Trunk

Trunk

Tao Bum!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
  • Interests:bagua qigong

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

the adventure continues ...

~ edit ~

Well you can probably guess which kind of tea is my favorite ;)

You inspired a purchase! :)

I'm looking to get some white tea next time, as I recall it had been mentioned. All there at the asian market, so inexpensive. (The Ti Kwan Yin was $3 and it's $14 from Pete's Tea.)

Love the roasted brown rice, and I remember the ban cha is a happy standard in some diet I've forgotten the name of.

Attached Thumbnails

• tea 007_cr s25.jpg

Music as Compassionate Middle Way: Guitars4Vets.org

Dragon Gate Sanctuary's bagua qigong

all good things come from grace,

grace comes from art,

and art comes from work.

- from the movie, A River Runs Through It

#45 thelerner

thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5926 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

the adventure continues ...

That Genmai Cha from Hime. So cheap and soo good. $3 or $4 bucks for a big bag of it at a local Japanese grocery. The puffed rice make it hearty and a little sweet, yum.
Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#46 konchog uma

konchog uma

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2922 posts
    skygazing
    soothsaying
    swashbuckling

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

a recommendation of some Awesome pu'ehr tea i found recently on (where else) http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Pu'erh Tea
Origin- China
Fair Trade Certified- Yes
Learn More

The Black Pu-erh tea we offer is hand harvested from wild and semi-wild broad leaf antique tea trees located in the Yunnan province of China. Black Pu-erh is often referred to as "cooked" due to the fact that sun-dried green tea leaves are transformed through natural fermentation from a greenish-golden color to a blackish-red tone. Over the years Pu-erh has garnered a committed following amongst tea connoisseurs who regard it as a sacred relic leftover from ancient tea cultures and traditions. The Black Pu-erh we offer brews up a deep ochre red and has a rich earthy taste with notes of smoke and moss. Certified Organic and Fair Trade. Contains caffeine.

from http://www.mountainr...k.php#t_gw_t_pu

4oz for 6.75... it is SO creamy.. completely wonderful tea, i am gonna burn through 4oz so fast! It makes the pu-ehr from the asian market taste um lesser.

my girlfriend loves lapsang souchang, and tried mountain rose herbs variety, and said it also was "super nice, really good, full flavored".. i haven't tried it yet but i look forward to it soon :)
"All the philosophical theories that exist have been created by the mistaken dualistic minds of human beings. in the realm of philosophy, that which today is considered true, may tomorrow be proved to be false. No one can guarantee a philosophy's validity. Because of this any intellectual way of seeing whatsoever is always partial and relative. The fact is that there is no truth to see or to confirm logically; rather what one needs to do is to discover just how much the mind continually limits itself in a condition of dualism." -Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

#47 rainbowvein

rainbowvein

☼ ★ ☉☌☽ ☯ ☆ ☄

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5306 posts
  • Interests:heart tenderizers

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

@anamatva -- I'll be ordering from MRHerbs this week. Any tea recommendations you have would be welcome. Happy New Year! :)

#48 konchog uma

konchog uma

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2922 posts
    skygazing
    soothsaying
    swashbuckling

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

@anamatva -- I'll be ordering from MRHerbs this week. Any tea recommendations you have would be welcome. Happy New Year! :)

thats all i've got! we just ordered the pu'ehr and the lapsang!

try some pu'ehr its one of the best i've had :)

and thanks! happy new year to you too!

Edited by anamatva, 07 January 2012 - 06:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users