• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#17 Junbao

Junbao

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:Gong Fu, Qigong, bicycling, mixing, being outside.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

Yerba Mate BIG TIME :-)
I might have half cup of coffee some days, but I'm loving the Mate. Bulk at local food co-op with tea pot and tea ball :P
Actually I am just getting over a cold and going to pick up some local honey this morning for a treat!

#18 Andrei

Andrei

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

Put some ginger root slices in your tea when you have a cold.

#19 Cameron

Cameron

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3995 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

Tea ceremony with Max got me interested in pouring a good cup - I dont think I've used my mugs since :lol:

Haha. One of my good memories with Max was when I was able to take tea ceremony with him in his house in Hawaii. He filled my cup with tea until it was overflowing.

He also reccomended getting more into tea in general when I spoke with him recently. So on the lookout for a good tea class.

#20 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

nemesis: Erroneous Cleanliness

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3334 posts
  • Interests:Tao and The Divine Virtue
    道德

Putting Classical Chinese thoughts into English words.

The space between the notes...

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

Haha. One of my good memories with Max was when I was able to take tea ceremony with him in his house in Hawaii. He filled my cup with tea until it was overflowing.

He also reccomended getting more into tea in general when I spoke with him recently. So on the lookout for a good tea class.

you'd think such a master would be able to pour a cup of tea without it overflowing!

ha ha. just kidding..
Be humble, believe in yourself.

"Will is a functionary of desire. When you have many desires, then your mind is scattered; when your mind is scattered, then your will deteriorates. When your will deteriorates, then thought does not attain its object." (from "Master of Demon Valley" trans. by Thomas Cleary

#21 Cameron

Cameron

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3995 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hehe yeah, I couldn't tell if it was an accident or intentional. But I think intentional. In any case, it was a fun moment.

Btw I don't even know if "tea ceremony" is the right term. Max basically invited a few of us after class to drink tea together and served it very carefully. From what I remember it was very, very good tea too.

#22 al.

al.

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

This is one of the best sites for understanding what fine tea is all about:
tea guardian

Also, Daniel Reid has just released a new book on tea and internal alchemy, it looks great!

Sometimes it's best to forget everything and just drink some tea! mmm

#23 Trunk

Trunk

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4454 posts
  • Interests:bagua qigong

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

Also, Daniel Reid has just released a new book on tea and internal alchemy, it looks great!

Posted Image

Sometimes it's best to forget everything and just drink some tea! mmm

:D

I'm going the pig-route and enjoying volume, like 7-10 mugs a day (especially enjoying warm left-over in the morning). I feel better when I'm chuggin' water for at least several days in a row. .. isn't there some health literature about that?

~ edit ~
Oh, man, we need a similar cooking thread! :)
Posted Image

p.s.
Pls provide links when mentioning your favorite stuff, makes it easy for the rest of us to explore.:)

#24 Cameron

Cameron

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3995 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

Had my first tea ceremony experience today at the Forbidden City.

My friend and I had 5 different types of fine teas all carefully served to us. I even got taught the proper way to hold the tea cup which is different for a man(dragon) and woman(phoenix).

It was awesome :)

#25 hagar

hagar

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1288 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:30 AM

Had my first tea ceremony experience today at the Forbidden City.

My friend and I had 5 different types of fine teas all carefully served to us. I even got taught the proper way to hold the tea cup which is different for a man(dragon) and woman(phoenix).

It was awesome :)

Great idea Keith! Im ordering one!

Cam, if you are talking about THE Forbidden city, Ive had a tea ceremony there as well. What stunning backdrop for a brew of first flush green tea.

As for the technicalities and practice of tea, I took a tea class with my teacher. He emphasized the importance of the temperature of the tea, in addition to the fact that you should pour water into a transparent container, so that you may evaluate the way the leaves react to the water. In addition, if you only use a glass or cup, you should pour water into it at the time when you can hold it without getting burned for about 5 sec. THen you put in the leaves.

For really good quality tea, the first time you pour just a little into the cup to let the pores on the leaves open, wait and then pour in the rest. The second serving should be the best, and then its important to pour very carefully so not to "disturb"the leaves. Take a good minute to pour the cup, with mindful attention.

When you drink, feel the tea more than drink it. The insubstantial qualities of the tea is where the chi is. He also said that great quality white and green tea can repair the disentangling of the DNA that are caused by general aging, free radicals, toxins and stress.

The best stuff according to him is:

Dian Hong Red Tea

Puerh

Iron Guan Yin

Bi Luo Chun

Wild Green

#26 joeblast

joeblast

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7247 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hehe yeah, I couldn't tell if it was an accident or intentional. But I think intentional. In any case, it was a fun moment.

Btw I don't even know if "tea ceremony" is the right term. Max basically invited a few of us after class to drink tea together and served it very carefully. From what I remember it was very, very good tea too.

:lol: he made sure my cup was not spilling only via water tension "here's how my old master would pour for us"

Good point on temperature!

And water quality, always a good point. If only I could have easier access and just boil myself glacial melt for my tea :lol:

I picked up some more raw pu-erh. I like it so much more than regular pu erh, the heating tastes...unnecessary after drinking raw for a while, hehehe.

#27 steve

steve

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4835 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

As for the technicalities and practice of tea, I took a tea class with my teacher. He emphasized the importance of the temperature of the tea, ...

I learned from my teacher also, his favorite is Taiwanese High Mountain Wulong, especially the early Spring tea.
We get some every year from Taiwan.
Steve

When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom.
When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love.
And between these two, my life turns.
- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

#28 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

nemesis: Erroneous Cleanliness

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3334 posts
  • Interests:Tao and The Divine Virtue
    道德

Putting Classical Chinese thoughts into English words.

The space between the notes...

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

Here is a website for the tea room that I mentioned above. There are descriptions of many fine Chinese teas.

http://www.mingtaoxu.../OolongTea.html

Here is a description of the tea I had there today: Luna Crescent Pu-ehr ($15 for 50 grams, $7 for small pot filled 5 times + ambiance)

Luna Crescent (sometimes simply called Moonlight tea) holds a special place among the Pu-erh teas. It is picked according to a unique method that is kept secret from the outside world and which contributes to the somewhat mysterious aura surrounding this tea.
Since ancient times people have believed that moonlight has mysterious powers, and so the techniques of processing wild Luna Crescent leaves are equally bound up with the mystery of moonlight. This, together with the peculiar white and black appearance of its leaves, has given this tea its melodious name, Yue ̀guang Bi, or Luna Crescent.
Taste: Once in the mouth, a pleasantly sweet after taste lingers on the palate. This tea has both the delicate fragrance of an Oolong and the rich, mellow tones of the Pu-erh teas. Its singular flavour makes it a top- quality tea that is well worth the tasting.
Be humble, believe in yourself.

"Will is a functionary of desire. When you have many desires, then your mind is scattered; when your mind is scattered, then your will deteriorates. When your will deteriorates, then thought does not attain its object." (from "Master of Demon Valley" trans. by Thomas Cleary

#29 Cameron

Cameron

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3995 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

Yes, The Forbidden City. It was my first visit there. I will go back many times I am sure.

It's a great place to watch the sunset. Then enjoy tea with friends.

#30 hagar

hagar

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1288 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:34 AM

Yes, The Forbidden City. It was my first visit there. I will go back many times I am sure.

It's a great place to watch the sunset. Then enjoy tea with friends.

Indeed.
It is also a place where you percieve the truth behind the notion of the "Middle kingdom".

h

#31 C T

C T

Gap Bum

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5638 posts
  • Interests:Ephemeralism

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:14 AM

"The first cup moistens my lips and throat. The second cup breaks my loneliness. The third cup searches my barren entrails but to find therein some thousand volumes of odd ideographs. The fourth cup raises a slight perspiration - all the 'wrongs' of life passes out through my pores. At the fifth cup i am purified. The sixth cup calls me to the realms of the Immortals! The seventh cup... ah, but i could take no more! I only feel the breath of the cool wind that raises in my sleeves. Where is Elysium? Let me ride on this sweet breeze and waft away thither." ( Lu Tung on 'tea drinking' )

Om svabhava shuddha sarva dharma svabhava shuddho 'ham!
Om shunyata jnana vajra svabhava atmako 'ham! 
Om ah hum hra phat!
Om muni muni mahamuni Shakyamuniye svaha! 

Appearances are mind, mind is emptiness, emptiness is spontaneous presence, spontaneous presence is self-liberation.
(9th Karmapa)

The objects perceived by sentient beings 

are like the appearance of illusions;

Sentient beings themselves are in the nature of illusion

they all arise through dependent origination. - Nagarjuna

#32 buscon

buscon

Energy is Eternal Delight

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:25 AM

I love chinese tea ceremony, the best tea for this is pu-erh tea.
Here you can find really precious tea, directly from china:
http://www.yunnansourcing.com
the prices are pretty good.

"The first cup moistens my lips and throat. The second cup breaks my loneliness. The third cup searches my barren entrails but to find therein some thousand volumes of odd ideographs. The fourth cup raises a slight perspiration - all the 'wrongs' of life passes out through my pores. At the fifth cup i am purified. The sixth cup calls me to the realms of the Immortals! The seventh cup... ah, but i could take no more! I only feel the breath of the cool wind that raises in my sleeves. Where is Elysium? Let me ride on this sweet breeze and waft away thither." ( Lu Tung on 'tea drinking' )

this reference is probably referring to the chinese ceremony, where you drink from little cups and you learn to sensitively taste the differente stages of brewing of your tea.

Who has no idea what I'm talking about, here's a video:

You're the listener, not the noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users