#1 Trunk

Trunk

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4433 posts
  • Interests:bagua qigong

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

A friend of mine has a medium sized hot beverage urn in his living room, provides hot tea all day. Sat around and drank hot tea all afternoon :) ... not sure what kind. :unsure: oh!, some variety of jasmine tea. :D

Posted Image

The convenience and health benefits struck me immediately. Hydrate, all that good stuff you read about tea but when I heat it on the pot on the stove I only have 1 or 2 cups. Water is just too boring. So I went out to Target and got myself a 2 quart carafe (not plug-in, I can easily carry it to any room or just leave it in the living room all day & evening).

Posted Image

So yesterday afternoon + evening I drank about 6-7 mugs of hot tea. Just because it was so easy. Ti Kuan Yin, an oolong, with a few slices of licorice root thrown in.

Posted Image

The left-over from last night was still warm this morning, yumm, and a good morning starter (contrast coffee or something cold from the 'fridg).

Shootin' for an "all things tea" thread. :)
.. sprinkled with tea wisdom.

- Trunk

#2 konchog uma

konchog uma

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2922 posts
  • Interests:-
    skygazing
    soothsaying
    swashbuckling

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

nice thread.

I started the day off with some darjeeling whole leaf (organic FTGFOP!), but i'm drinking an americano at present :)

i used to drink a lot of coffee but the more i cultivate my qi, the less i like it. I keep it to one cup a day now (or one drink in the case of the americano).

I have been planning to eliminate coffee entirely for some time, but hmmmmmm i never get around to it! proof that its addictive hahahah :)

well i like to get bulk teas at the local food co-op, but i drink some bagged teas too. Filtered water makes all the difference. If you make your tea with tapwater you are missing out (and fluoride is really bad for you btw). So next time you're at your local food co-op buying some whole leaf tea, get some clean water too! :D
"All the philosophical theories that exist have been created by the mistaken dualistic minds of human beings. in the realm of philosophy, that which today is considered true, may tomorrow be proved to be false. No one can guarantee a philosophy's validity. Because of this any intellectual way of seeing whatsoever is always partial and relative. The fact is that there is no truth to see or to confirm logically; rather what one needs to do is to discover just how much the mind continually limits itself in a condition of dualism." -Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

#3 Protector

Protector

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4835 posts
  • Interests:Pepsi, Fanta, Mustard, Meat, Fresh apples, Females, Learning, Old Cartoons, That Feeling, Horse Stance

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

teaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :wub:

I will never forget you, report button *salutes*

Sword cuts in two pieces
Cutting two pieces is easy
Cutting two into one is hard part
You don't cut opponent
It is against universal law
You cut two into one

GRYFFINDOR

matamune2_normal.gif
It would mean a lot to me if you read this.

#4 RobB

RobB

Tao Wizard

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

Suffering from rotten cold ATM so brewed up a few cupfuls of water with chopped ginger root. Used some and stuck the rest in the fridge. Easy to put a cupful into a pan and brew it up with some powdered reishi. Very nice!

Cheers

Rob

Edit: realised post doesn't actually mention tea - sorry!

Edited by RobB, 16 November 2011 - 09:00 AM.

#5 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

nemesis: Erroneous Cleanliness

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3252 posts
  • Interests:Tao and The Divine Virtue
    道德

Putting Classical Chinese thoughts into English words.

The space between the notes...

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

My favourite place in Montreal is this tea restaurant where it's abuot $8 for a pot and you can choose from about 25 different kinds of high mountain green tea, really rare green teas from different mountains with various natural overtones. The server does the first pot for you that cleans the tea and warms the pots, to show you how to steep them properly since the really good stuff only steeps for a few seconds in the small pot. You get about 5 small pots for the $8 though. If anyone's coming to Montreal send me a PM and I can give you directions. They also sell expensive carvings and tea sets, beautiful place.

Myself, I make a lot of herbal teas for various things like organ cleansing, immunity, and mood support.

Recently I've been enjoying Sage and lemongrass a lot. Probably the only flavour that works together with sage, ime.

Mostly I'll have:

peppermint
sage
lemongrass
calendula
licorice root
oat straw

and maybe also
dandelion leaves
plantain
echinaecia
red clover

and I have a bag of schizandra (5 flavour, wu wei zi) berries on my table which I usually eat at some point during the day -- the sourness really brings you into the present!
Be humble, believe in yourself.

"Will is a functionary of desire. When you have many desires, then your mind is scattered; when your mind is scattered, then your will deteriorates. When your will deteriorates, then thought does not attain its object." (from "Master of Demon Valley" trans. by Thomas Cleary

#6 RyanO

RyanO

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

I usually drink yerba mate with honey I make using this guy:

Posted Image

http://www.brevilleu...-tea-maker.html

It's awesome! You set the temperature and time and it'll do all the work for you. Also has a programmable setting so you can set it to be ready when you wake up. A little pricey but highly recommended. Of course it kind of takes the ceremony out of tea making but it's very convenient and is great for making sure the temp and steep time are accurate.

#7 Harmonious Emptiness

Harmonious Emptiness

nemesis: Erroneous Cleanliness

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3252 posts
  • Interests:Tao and The Divine Virtue
    道德

Putting Classical Chinese thoughts into English words.

The space between the notes...

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

I usually drink yerba mate with honey I make using this guy:

That looks like it would be good for roots that need to boil/simmer for 20 minutes. True?
Be humble, believe in yourself.

"Will is a functionary of desire. When you have many desires, then your mind is scattered; when your mind is scattered, then your will deteriorates. When your will deteriorates, then thought does not attain its object." (from "Master of Demon Valley" trans. by Thomas Cleary

#8 RyanO

RyanO

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

That looks like it would be good for roots that need to boil/simmer for 20 minutes. True?

I'm pretty sure the longest something can steep is 10 mins so that probably wouldn't work at least for that length of time.

#9 Elliot

Elliot

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

All these fancy kettles makes me want to get a cuppa' tea!
:lol:
Organic tea is my preference, but I'm open minded to any sort of tea. :D

Posted Image

#10 Cameron

Cameron

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3995 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

I like it :)

I am going to try to check out tea classes here in Beijing when I have time.

#11 Andrei

Andrei

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

#12 joeblast

joeblast

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7278 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

I like it :)

I am going to try to check out tea classes here in Beijing when I have time.

Tea ceremony with Max got me interested in pouring a good cup - I dont think I've used my mugs since :lol:

#13 zerostao

zerostao

traveling cloud

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5860 posts
  • Interests:elixirs, trees, herbs, harmony
    Spiritual Taoism

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:45 AM

i drink a bit of white tea. usually i just throw in whatever herbs and or teas i have on hand and mix them up together. water is so boring? no no no!! i think one of the main keys to having really great tea or coffee is having really great water.

edit> but it is really about transformation,Posted Image hmmm

Edited by zerostao, 17 November 2011 - 06:48 AM.

live like an immortal
i am a brother to dragons and a companion of owls