32 replies to this topic

#1 tulku

tulku

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:02 AM

Marbles started a thread about love and how one should go about healing a broken heart.

In the book Psychic Warrior, the author had his spirit broken through innumerous setbacks to his career, marriage and spirituality. Some would call this the dark night of the soul.

I would ask you though..

How do you heal a broken spirit?

How do you get out of the dark night of the soul?

A broken heart can be easily healed.

A broken spirit? .....................

Edited by tulku, 13 September 2011 - 02:25 AM.

Ana Beko'ach Gedulat Yeminechah Tatir Tzerurah
Kabel Rinat Amechah Sagvenu Taharenu Nora
Na Gibor Dorshei Yechudecha Kevavat Shomrem
Barchem Taharem, Rachamei Tzidkatekhah Tamid Gomlem,
Chasin Kadosh Berov Tuvcha Nahel Adatecha
Yachid Ge'eh Le'amcha P'neh Zochrei Kedushatecha
Shavatenu Kabel Ushma Tza'akatenu Yode'a Ta'alumot
Baruch Shem Kevod Malchutoh Le'olam Va'ed

Every Moment, Every Breadth, Every Thought

#2 Marblehead

Marblehead

Untitled

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23534 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:01 AM

Excellent questions Tulku. And I suggest that there are many who have these questions but are afraid or unable to ask them.

Any complete answer would have to be made on an individual basis, I think. This is because we all are different and our circumstances will be different.

Your questions caused me thoughts of Wayne L. Wang's translation of the TTC titled "Dynamic Tao and its manifestations".

In his introduction/discussion he spoke of our two planes (conditions) of reality; 'wu', Mystery, or the spiritual, and 'yo', Manifest, or the physical, materialistic world.

In that discussion he suggested that we should try to attain a condition of balance, or rather, harmony between 'wu' and 'yo'.

He also suggested that many of us can become so consumed by what is happening in our physical world that we become a 'lost soul'. That is we become totally 'yo', materialistic, and we have lost all connection with 'wu', our spirituality.

However, he then stated that this is not the end. We need not remain a lost soul forever because Tao, even though we have lost our connection, is ever-present and we can always return no matter how lost we have become.

Okay. Granted. I have not spoken to the question of "How?". My answer is: "I don't know."

As I said, I think it will vary between individuals based on the causes of becoming lost, or having a broken spirit.

I do know this though. The first thing one must do is stop. Stop and clear our mind of all the bullshit.

I, personally, just had a set-back regarding NA spirituality. I stopped. I am still in the process of clearing the mind of all the bullshit. Once I accomplish the cleaning phase I feel I will be able to go forward once again.

I will be following this thread because I feel it speaks to some very important issues in the life of most of us.

Thanks for bringing the concept up for discussion.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

Posted Image          I reserve the right to change my mind.          Posted Image

Peace & Contentment!

#3 Jetsun

Jetsun

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2941 posts
  • Interests:The Fourth Way, Buddhism, Vortex Healing, Stillness

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:48 AM

Personally I am trying to reconnect to the earth and to let go of all the things which don't serve me any more, I think you have to go back to simple things.

#4 C T

C T

Gap Bum

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4953 posts
  • Interests:Ephemeralism

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:48 AM

Identify negative habitual patterns.

Cut the roots by bringing mindful attention repeatedly to the causes of these.

Step by step, create opposing causes, or plant fresh, vibrant and positive seeds in the mind, again, do it repeatedly.

Its like pouring clean, clear water unceasingly into a muddied pool. Every subtle layer which gets dislodged means that some purification is taking place. Look for the effects of this process, again, by bringing mindful awareness to habitual traits in body, speech and mind.

Turn all mundane activities into enlightened activities of purification.

When you sip tea, visualize that the tea is ambrosia or nectar from buddhas and enlightened dharma protectors.

In a shower, visualize the water streaming over your body to be healing balm, clearing all your subtle waste into Yama, who then eats up the negative impurities and transforms them into enlightened sustenance for his horde of angelic beings and demons.

When you have a meal, dedicate it as a blessing from the gods of the blissful realms who make it possible for you to derive satisfaction from hunger, and if you think its not a waste, each time before you start eating, bring a small portion of your food and leave it outside the window or in open spaces, that it may help pacify beings in other realms, from animals to hungry ghosts.

When you get dressed, imagine you are putting on a coat of armor made of a thin layer of impenetrable diamond, and your body embalmed in white, red and blue lights streamed down from the forehead of your protector deity (if you have one. If not, find one).

Each time you sense of hearing is engaged, visualize all sounds as mantras.

When you find you want to express yourself, visualize yourself as an enlightened being, using your words as means to purify both yours and the mindstream of others. Watch each utterance carefully, and speak in a way which promotes peace, harmony and encourages virtue in others.

As you awake each morning, spend a few minutes before you get out of bed to visualize your Blessing Deity departing from the center of your heart, traveling up the central channel, arriving to the summit of your crown, where a rainbow-colored lotus opens up to welcome the seating of this Blessing Deity. Then visualize each petal emitting dazzling white light in all directions, bringing healing to your parents, your siblings, your immediate relations, your dharma friends, your enemies, together with all beings in all the 6 realms of existence, and see that they achieve peace and happiness from receiving this kind gesture of blessing from your Deity.

As you make your way thru the day, try to maintain a subtle awareness of this Deity resting on the crown of your head. Increase your awareness each time you feel negativity seeping into your thoughts, words and deeds.

When you return to sleep at night, visualize bowing and prostrating to this Deity, thanking him/her for looking out for you and keeping you safe and positive, and welcome him/her back to the sacred space you have created within your heart, where an adamantine, jade green lotus awaits.

Repeat this process unceasingly.

Edit to add: If you can accept the healing power of stones, then work with Lapis Lazuli and Kunzite. Place them strategically around your room or house, and wear a pendant made from either of these stones. Or request/purchase a sacred amulet from a temple, or from e-shops, but make sure its blessed. This site is good:
http://vajrasecrets....protection.html

Edited by CowTao, 13 September 2011 - 06:15 AM.

Om svabhava shuddha sarva dharma svabhava shuddho 'ham!
Om shunyata jnana vajra svabhava atmako 'ham! 
Om ah hum hra phat!
Om muni muni mahamuni Shakyamuniye svaha! 

Appearances are mind, mind is emptiness, emptiness is spontaneous presence, spontaneous presence is self-liberation.
(9th Karmapa)

The objects perceived by sentient beings 

are like the appearance of illusions;

Sentient beings themselves are in the nature of illusion

they all arise through dependent origination. - Nagarjuna

#5 witch

witch

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1186 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:10 AM

Spend time in the sunlight, particularly at noontime with skin exposed. Take long walks. Eat meat, heavy starchy foods, and go heavy on the salt. Get massages. Don't be afraid of good fats. Take fish oil. Watch funny movies. Listen to the blues.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Focused on the moment

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

Marbles started a thread about love and how one should go about healing a broken heart.

In the book Psychic Warrior, the author had his spirit broken through innumerous setbacks to his career, marriage and spirituality. Some would call this the dark night of the soul.

I would ask you though..

"You" are never broken. Your description is of the Ego/Mind having "setbacks". The "dark night of the soul" is about transcending the Ego (autopilot). The Ego will never be satisfied. Go beyond...

The first step is to find the "witness" inside. When you "quiet your mind", it is easier to find "yourself" in the silence.

:)

#7 joeblast

joeblast

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7170 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

I would ask you though..

:lol: you take all of "the pieces" and pulverize them into a fine powder, add water, mix, then bake it in the sun...

#8 Marblehead

Marblehead

Untitled

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23534 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

:lol: you take all of "the pieces" and pulverize them into a fine powder, add water, mix, then bake it in the sun...

I'm glad you didn't say we had to add some of our own urine to that mix!

I reserve the right to be wrong.

Posted Image          I reserve the right to change my mind.          Posted Image

Peace & Contentment!

#9 balance.

balance.

drift. float. love.

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

Spend time in the sunlight, particularly at noontime with skin exposed. Take long walks. Eat meat, heavy starchy foods, and go heavy on the salt. Get massages. Don't be afraid of good fats. Take fish oil. Watch funny movies. Listen to the blues.

Mm.. yes.... those blues...

"Dressed in sky-flower clothes / wearing tortoise-hair shoes / clutching rabbit-horn bows / they hunt the ghosts of delusion."

-- Hanshan / entry 293.

kunlun.

#10 steve

steve

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4567 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Another approach is to actively practice kindness and friendliness.
At first it's really difficult. Over time it becomes easier.
As you begin to get good at it, you begin to feel good about it.
You see the surprise, pleasure, and appreciation in the faces of others.
It can really be transformative.
Steve

When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom.
When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love.
And between these two, my life turns.
- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

#11 thelerner

thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6406 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

I really like this short practical answer.

A broken image is just a mental picture. A very powerful one we keep returning to. It shows pathos, darkness, its a scene of depression.

Forget it. How?

Or substitute other distractions until the image fades. Then roll up your sleeves and get on with life.

Edited by thelerner, 13 September 2011 - 01:50 PM.

Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#12 Ambrose_Bierce

Ambrose_Bierce

Curator and Adventurer

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

Everyone is giving great examples here.

However, how do you know what is defined as "the dark night of the soul"
or "the dark tea time of the soul"?

I could interject with my conclusion that a person is on the wrong path.
To make that last sentance understandable... Ones Emotions, Mind and Spirit are wanting and doing separate things.

Background feelings and disappointments are comming to bear on the current life so one must change.

One must find out what skills and things one has... their deck of playing cards so to speak and play them with all three in harmony.

That is how you overcome the dark tea time of the soul.
'Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.' - Horace Mann

MIND MAP OF SPIRITUALITY LINKS(always being added to)

#13 steve

steve

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4567 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

A similar way to express that is to look at our core values and see if our choices in life are helping or hindering our ability to live in accordance with those values.
Steve

When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom.
When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love.
And between these two, my life turns.
- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

#14 konchog uma

konchog uma

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2922 posts
  • Interests:-
    skygazing
    soothsaying
    swashbuckling

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

stay in the light
take small steps every day
give it time
"All the philosophical theories that exist have been created by the mistaken dualistic minds of human beings. in the realm of philosophy, that which today is considered true, may tomorrow be proved to be false. No one can guarantee a philosophy's validity. Because of this any intellectual way of seeing whatsoever is always partial and relative. The fact is that there is no truth to see or to confirm logically; rather what one needs to do is to discover just how much the mind continually limits itself in a condition of dualism." -Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

#15 Birch

Birch

Tao Bum!

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6007 posts
  • Interests:Whatever works

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

Meh, IMO/IME the spirit isn't broken, it's just having a hard time pushing through/doesn't much care for present conditions.
Really there is no splitty stuff to speak of but IME spirit (i.e. You) is smart enough to cooperate with whatever. I'd go with the "get out of yer own way" suggestions offered here.
Have you tried getting in touch with yourself?

@Steve. The "core values" thing is a good one. It ain't easy (opinion/experience alert) to figure out which values really are yours and which aren't.
"Chi is free!"- "Don't give your chi to your practice" Both unknown, if you know where these come from, let me know!

#16 Aaron

Aaron

Hidden in the mist

• The Tao Bums
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2802 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, art, and history.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

I would ask you though..

The easiest way to heal a broken spirit is to eat when you are hungry, drink when you are thirsty, sleep when you are tired, and get out of the house when you are lonely. If you can do these things, then the spirit, which is resilient, will heal. However, if you deprive yourself of these simple comforts, then the spirit will be deprived as well. Also, if you have grown tired or disillusioned with religion, then let religion go and just do what you need to do. (Need is the operative word here.)

Aaron
Visit my blog An American Taoist at http://anamericantaoist.blogspot.com/.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users